Start by marking “Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Winters” as Want to Read:
Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Winters

Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Winters

This anthology envisions winters of the future, with stories of scientists working together to protect narwhals from an oil spill, to bring snow back to the mountains of Maine, to preserve ecosystems--even if they have to be under glass domes. They're stories of regular people rising to extraordinary circumstances to survive extreme winter weather, to fix a threat to their ...more
Published January 7th 2020 by World Weaver Press

Start your review of Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Winters
Fiona
Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers was such an excellent collection, which left a lot for this to live up to. It was a slightly slower start this time - more similarities to the stories, mostly in theme, but once it got going there were some truly excellent stories here.

A buddy read with the folks over at the Solarpunk group; thanks guys!

More detail to come.
Dee Arr
Jan 16, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
I always look forward to new releases from World Weaver Press, as the compilations I’ve purchased in the past have never disappointed me. Perhaps I have built a higher standard for this publisher as I found most of the stories in “Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Winters” to be okay, though nothing special. There are also some stories Solarpunk Winters (anthologized by Sarena Ulibarri) that are very good.

Wendy Nikel started the book with “Wings of glass,” a whimsical tale of inventiveness and surviv
Zoe's Human
Apr 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
DNF at 54%

All in all, an underwhelming anthology of mostly mediocre work that veers at times into terrible. While there is some skill present in terms of writing highly readable prose, most of these writers are nowhere near ready for publication. Immature is the term that springs to mind for much of the writing within. With that said, there are a couple of stand-out writers in here, who only need to develop their potential to move from writing average but well-written stories into producing impr
Shel
Jan 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: stories, utopias
I have a story in this collection, "Set the Ice Free, " and also a story in Glass and Gardens: Solarpunk Summers, "Watch Out, Red Crusher!". Editor Sarena Ulibarri, solarpunk champion, was fabulous to work with.

I'm a swooning fan of optimistic science fiction and of those writers who undertake the difficult task of imagining positive futures and making engaging stories about them.

Overall, it's fun be a part of this anthology and enjoying the stories as a reader makes it even better — dare I say
Lena
Feb 08, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to Lena by: Solarpunk BOM
Shelves: anthology, solarpunk
C7403-AEC-9-A50-43-CD-A6-F0-AD39-A5-ABA750
Black Ice City by Andrew Dana Hudson ★★★★½
Every winter sailors gather pieces of ice on the pole to recreate the Arctic. They create habitats for themselves and the whole thing is a frosty version of Burning Man. Loved this world, this freedom, sign me up!

FDE486-F0-DC16-4-D90-88-D2-052-D54996-ED1
Rules for a Civilization by Jerri Jerreat ★★★★½
I adored this story of a future Canadian teacher dealing with problem children and natural disasters with the same patient, understanding, equanimity.

27072927-6239-4809-B42-D-E9985-EC2-EA39
Wings of Glass by Wendy Nikel ★★★★☆
There
Molly
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
**Disclaimer: I received a free eARC of this anthology from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

When I saw this title available for download on Netgalley I was ecstatic! I have been interested in and part of the Solarpunk community since around 2015, but I haven’t always managed to get my hands on the short story anthologies, so I was really excited to read this one. Of course, with any short story collection, it becomes challenging to review, since there are so many different voices and
Janine
Combined score 55/85, averages to 3.24 stars. Read my updates for quick reviews and scores of the individual stories.

After reading Solarpunk Summers back in 2018 and liking quite a few of the stories and enjoying the scientific and societal concepts in nearly all of the stories (even the ones I didn’t quite like), I expected this to be more of the same, except in winter settings. While the concepts were as impressive in this short story collection, it felt like the stories overall lacked that ex
Erika
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
** Full disclosure: I received this book in exchange for an honest review**
I really enjoyed this collection, I actually found myself reserving reading this book to my train rides home for work because it gave me something uplifting to look forward to every day.
It was so nice to read positive stories that weren't saccharine or felt forced, just people working together to make things better for everyone. And using Science!
This is one of the few short story collections I've read where I really
Mindi Briar
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Finally got through reading this anthology! Here are my top favorite stories:

"The Healing" by Sarah Van Goethem - the living city, Creatis, is so cool! I loved this story!
"Oil and Ivory" by Jennifer Lee Rossman - you had me at narwhals!
"Rules For a Civilization" by Jerri Jerreat - I loved the characters and how they developed in this one :)

Overall, this anthology was full of cool worldbuilding, and made for a series of fun, bite-sized reads. Would recommend if you're into solarpunk!
Judy & Marianne from Long and Short Reviews
Get ready to shiver! This collection is filled with snow, ice, and freezing temperatures.

Athena and the other characters in “A Shawl for Janice” left their EcoTower to do a bird count in nearby forests and meadows that had sprung up from the ruins of small towns after the Change. Ms. Almazan did a wonderful job with her world building here. I truly felt like I’d been transported to the future, especially once Athena’s reasons for volunteering for this bird count were revealed. There was so much
M.H. Thaung
In this anthology, seventeen authors present their visions of how the world might look in a future longstanding winter. I enjoyed seeing the variety of innovations depicted, from the bioengineered moss of "Oil and Ivory" (Jennifer Lee Rossman) to a city insulated with giant feathers in "The Fugue of Winter" (Steve Toase) to umbrellas that capture kinetic energy from rain in "Set the Ice Free" (Shel Graves).

I suppose it was unavoidable that the stories were exposition-heavy, with characters think
Jerri Jerreat
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Loved these stories set in the far future—the race to help the breeding narwhals; the doctor lost in a blizzard, the fascinating inner dome world of a lush greenhouse — such creative futures! Try it! This book has amazing pictures of our possible future, and the one thing in common was that human diversity rocked. LGBTQ2, a palette of skin colours— I loved that these authors imagined we will be a better species in the future, to each other. Let it be so.

I have a story in here, set in a Toronto s
Haven
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Such a creative and collective mix of narratives! Reading this book was such an adventure, and an inspiring window into how our society could adapt to changing climate. I love the marriage of fiction and serious environmental concerns in this book, and the first, “Solarpunk Summers.”
aleph3
Jul 27, 2020
Naomi
Oct 28, 2020
Brian Burt
Dec 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Lucyndaria
Oct 01, 2020
Kitt
Aug 10, 2020
jennet wheatstonelllsl Proc
Jul 26, 2020
R.
Dec 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
Goodreads Librari...: Please add author to this book 3 22 Oct 13, 2019 03:39AM

• Love by Accident
  • A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story
  • From Twinkle, with Love
  • A Heart Enslaved
  • Masquerade (Corporate Heat, #3)
  • Lost Hills (Eve Ronin #1)
  • The Scorpio Races
  • The Eighth-Grade History Class Visits the Hebrew Home for the Aging
  • Hard-Pressed (Club Hard Book 1)
  • All the Snake Handlers I Know Are Dead
  • The Sea Monster's Mate (The Sea Monster’s Mate, #1)
  • The Mercury 13: The True Story of Thirteen Women and the Dream of Space Flight
  • The Fortune Teller's Garden
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst (Village of Primm #1)
  • Something Wild
  • Salvaging Abby (Marks Mercenaries #4)
  • Healing Fire (Reclamation, #4)
Sarena Ulibarri attended the Clarion Workshop in 2014 and earned an MFA from the University of Colorado at Boulder. She's Editor-in-Chief of World Weaver Press.