Start by marking “Clap When You Land” as Want to Read:
Clap When You Land

Clap When You Land

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  30,867 ratings  ·  6,125 reviews
In a novel-in-verse that brims with grief and love, National Book Award-winning and New York Times bestselling author Elizabeth Acevedo writes about the devastation of loss, the difficulty of forgiveness, and the bittersweet bonds that shape our lives.

Camino Rios lives for the summers when her father visits her in the Dominican Republic. But this time, on the day when his
Published May 5th 2020 by Quill Tree Books
Featured Notes & Highlights

To ask other readers questions about Clap When You Land, please sign up.
Alyssa You don’t have a “bad” version. Most non-English phrases are implicit from the context but the ones I wasn’t able to understand, I just looked up.
Eyke (he/him) Nope, not difficult to follow at all! It's a 'verse novel', so you see a lot of the structure of a poem (stanzas, line breaks, rhythm, etc.) without a…moreNope, not difficult to follow at all! It's a 'verse novel', so you see a lot of the structure of a poem (stanzas, line breaks, rhythm, etc.) without a meter (like good old iambic pentameter) or rhyming (which would have put me off).

If you want to focus on the 'in verse' of it while reading you can (and I'm sure the audiobook is great for that), but I found myself reading it like it was a regular novel, then starting to appreciate the poetry once I found myself getting a feel for the rhythm of the page. I'm 25% of the way in now, so I'll include a sample of the page I'm on in a comment: (less)

·  30,867 ratings  ·  6,125 reviews

Start your review of Clap When You Land
chai ♡
find this review & others on my blog

It is hard to describe the space that yawned open in the life of Camino Rios and Yahaira Rios after their father died in a flight crash. It is harder still to describe the truths he left behind, cutting swift and deep, like a knife: Camino and Yahaira are sisters who, for sixteen years, hadn’t known of each other’s existence. Their world too had tipped, and fallen, and the secrets their father held aloft over their heads are seized by gravity. Now it w
Emily May
Apr 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, arc, 2020, young-adult
A queen
offers her hand to be kissed,
& can form it into a fist
while smiling the whole damn time.

Perhaps what I love most about Clap When You Land, besides the author's obvious talent for writing moving free verse, is that it brings attention to something that so many of us forgot about or never heard about. Tragedies happen all the time. Some are noticed, when they are newsworthy and drenched in politics-- terrorism, school shootings, for example --but some are left to be grieved only by thos
Zoë
May 06, 2020 added it
Elizabeth Acevedo books are such a joy to read, and this was no exception! Though it dealt largely with grief following a tragedy, the audiobook felt like such a comfort. I loved the two narrators (both the characters and the actual audiobook narrators) and how their stories were mirror images but also very personal. Highly recommend!
Cindy
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Acevedo writes poetically and passionately like always, and her audiobooks are always great. The book explores themes of grief, family, and cultural differences that would be great for her young adult audience to read.

Personally, I would have enjoyed a deeper exploration of grief and the way both girls grapple with the complexities of their family stories. There’s a lot to tap into there, but their voices were quite similar to the point where it became difficult sometimes to remember who was spe
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
May 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, queer
Every time I read an Elizabeth Acevedo book, I think that it can't possibly top her previous work, but every time I am so, so wrong. This is my favorite of Acevedo's works yet. I very rarely cry while listening to audiobooks, but this one had me sobbing while washing dishing and I just loved it so fucking much. I recommend this book to absolutely EVERYONE.

TW: death of a parent, plane crashes, stalking, sexual assault
Kat
Sep 16, 2020 rated it liked it
i don't want to say this was a disappointment (three stars is GOOD, ppl), but i will admit clap when you land is my least favorite book of elizabeth acevedo's so far.

listen, it definitely wasn't unenjoyable by any means. pretty words are acevedo's specialty, and this book is no different. her verse is a delight to experience, full stop. i also appreciated the basis for this story bringing attention to a little known tragedy that affected so many families. however, this book never reached the emo
Warda
4.5 🌟

Elizabeth Acevedo and her words are something else. Something special that is needed and I’m so grateful that it’s out there. In book form no less as well.
This story was so moving and heartfelt, addled with grief, loss and having your world altered due to death and family secrets. All of this came together in verse.

I can’t praise Acevedo enough for the way she puts words together. I love that there’s something about it that makes you pause and reflect. I love the Spanish language that is
Whitney Atkinson
i love elizabeth's writing, so so much. this book knocked it out of the park once again. from the format to the characters to the setting, this book is lifelike and resounding. great exploration of heritage and family and different life experiences, and the first book i've read set in the dominican republic. if you liked the poet x, i highly recommend this.
emma
Jul 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Me on Goodreads: ew, haha...poetry is gross

Me in person when a man is telling me that poetry is gross: Would you say a song without music is gross? Would you call lyricism gross? Would you call prose that uses metaphor and style and meter meaningfully gross??? Or do you just think you're too cool????

Me writing this review: Okay, poetry is good sometimes, actually.

(Also, yes, I had the conversation above last night. What about it?) (I really hope the person I had this conversation with is not rea
Nilufer Ozmekik
May 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is so poignant, lyrical, heartfelt, well-conceived, true to life, sublime, extremely emotional novel about two sisters’ bounding story who never knew each other till an unexpected accident shatters their lives and takes their father away from them.

Elizabeth Acevedo’s poetry combines with the heartwarming story based on true events: on November 2001, American Airlines Flight 587 flight was regularly scheduled to fly from JFK International Airport to Las Americas Airport in Santa Domingo but
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
***so worth the tears and getting my heart broken***

***2020 best reads

Acevedo is at the top of her game.
This one will be hard to beat in the years to come or even decades to come.

I do not usually like books written in verse. But when it comes to this author, I like it more when it's in verse. She's so good at this!

Everything makes sense about this book. The cover, the title, the story, the characters, the ending.

I have loved the book written in verse 'The Poet X" years ago when it came out and
may ➹
Can you be from a place you have never been? You can find the island stamped all over me, but what would the island find if I was there? Can you claim a home that does not know you, much less claim you as its own?

Elizabeth Acevedo has done it again!! (it: almost making me cry)
myo 🍒 (myonna reads)
Elizabeth Acevedo has done it again! I actually do think that she is one of my favorite authors because when she writes in verse, her work just touches me differently. The way she writes is just so beautiful and she has these one liners that just leave you thinking. This story of two sisters was absolutely amazing and i already want to reread so that i can annotate it
Jananie (thisstoryaintover)
excuse me while i cry over this beautiful book. Elizabeth Acevedo astounds once again. if you aren't reading her books then you robbing yourself of true heart and beauty. highly recommend the audiobook to hear the poetry aloud.
leynes
Feb 05, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-writers
Okay, so here goes, I had very high expectations for Clap When You Land because The Poet X is one of my favorite books from last year. Since then I have looked up many videos by Acevedo, some of which are her performing her poetry, others simple interviews or book club discussions, and I have really fallen in love with her personality and the way she breathes power into her poetry. Elizabeth Acevedo truly is something special when it comes to writing and performing poetry. There are only a few p ...more
Gabby
Elizabeth Acevedo has done it again. This is a gorgeously written story told in verse, and I listened to the audiobook again which I think is the best way to consume her books. This story follows two sisters who are unaware that the other exists. They discover each other when their Father dies in a plane crash, one of them lives in New York and the other in the Dominican Republic. They both grieve as they realize their Father lived two lives. Like all of Elizabeth Acevedo's books this s
Charlotte May
“I’m the child her father left her for in the summers. While she is the child my father left me for my entire life.”

Aw - I really liked this!

Yahaia and Camino both love their Papi. He is their idol, their hero and when he dies in a plane crash flying from New York to the Dominican Republic they are heartbroken.

What neither of them realises though, when they think about their Papi - is that they are both thinking about the same man.

A man who spent 9 months of the year in New York and then hi
Heather
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-contemporary
This book was amazing.
I love how it was written in verse. I'm usually not into books written in verse but this one was just so stunning.
The story of two teens living two different lives realize they have more than they think in common.
This book tackles so many things, race, grief, sexual assault, family, and more. It will be a book that sticks with you and the characters as well.
Mari

If you asked me what I was,

& you meant in terms of culture,
I'd say Dominican.

No hesitation,
no question about it.

Can you be from a place
you've never been?

You can find the island stamped all over me.
but what would the island find if I was there?

Can you claim a home that does not know you,
much less claim you as its own?

Why you may not like this book: It's told in verse. Novels told in verse are by design told with economy. You'll find lots of reviews talking about that as if it is a lack rather
elena
Aug 30, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, ebook
Dreams are like the pieces of fluff that get caught in your hair; they stand out for a moment, but eventually you wash them away, or long fingers reach in & pluck them out & you appear as what everyone expects.

When flight AA587 crashes to the ground, Camino and Yahairo Rios want nothing but to believe it was not the flight their father was in. Although for 16 years the two were not aware of each other, their father traveled back to the Dominican Republic every summer from living with
Ashley Nuckles
Duuuuuuude—how does Elizabeth Acevedo DO IT?!
If you were questioning whether to pick this book up, just do it. No questions asked. No ifs, ands, or buts.
DO IT.
Larry H
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Elizabeth Acevedo's new book, Clap When You Land , is a novel-in-verse about family, grief, anger, and letting go.⁣

Camino is a teenage girl living in the Dominican Republic with her aunt, who works as a healer. Her father, who lives in New York, comes to visit every summer, and Camino lives for those visits. Yet on the day his plane is to arrive and she waits for him at the airport, she learns that his plane has crashed.⁣

Another teenage girl, Yahaira, lives in New York. Her father goes home t
Chelsea Humphrey
This was an absolute joy and a privilege to listen to. Highly recommended!

*Full disclosure: I used an audio credit supplied by Libro.FM as part of their affiliate program.
Olivia (Stories For Coffee)
There comes a time when one stumbles upon a story that echoes all the pain, their anger, and the grief that has been swirling in one’s heart for years. One may think they are alone in these feelings until they find a book that mirrors all those emotions back to you. That is what Clap When You Land was like for me.

I’ve always been a fan of Elizabeth Acevedo’s works. She’s one of my favorite authors of all time. Each story she shares with the world has echoed feelings I’ve had but never truly exp
Mariah
I’m gonna need Elizabeth Acevedo to crawl out of my soul because this is too much. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, this woman is incapable of writing anything but 5 star masterpieces.

I can’t actually talk about this book without breaking down so I’m gonna leave it at that.

X
So this cover pops up in my feed and I'm like: "Wow".
And then I read the synopsys and my mind is like:
"Damn, this would probably be great in audiobook format, but maybe I'm just picturing this as an Elizabeth Aceved
Nataliya
Jun 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Nataliya by: Emily May
Shelves: 2020-reads
“I’m the child her father left her for in the summers.
While she is the child my father left me for my entire life.”
This is the book about families, and secrets, and love, and grief, and loss. It is a story of betrayal, and anger, and disappointment. This is a story of a world broken apart by a tragedy. It is a story about losing your heroes and finding your heroes.

This is also a story of class and privilege. A story of advantages that your birth place holds. A story of the difference money
✨    jamieson   ✨
Beautifully written, emotionally rich and dripping with emotion, CLAP WHEN YOU LAND is a unique and evocative contemporary YA novel that deals deftly with themes of grief, loss, change, and the difficulties of family. Written in verse, Acevedo's novel explores the flaws that make a person and finding solace and peace within the boundaries of tragedy. I loved the space and depth Acevedo gave the two main characters to explore their emotions, and the complex exploration of how a person with many f ...more
Kevin (Irish Reader)
TW: Stalking, Sexual assault, loss of a parent

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! Elizabeth Acevedo is becoming an auto buy author for me. This book deals with two girls coming to terms with the loss of their dad and how they both grieve. I connected to both of the characters and found their voices to be very distinct, which is great since this in written in dual POV. The writing was beautiful and lyrical.

My only reason I couldn’t give it 5 stars was for me personally I found the pacing to be a lit
Christy
Aug 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars
“Never, ever, let them see you sweat. Fight until you can’t breathe, & if you have to forfeit, you forfeit smiling, make them think you let them win.”

I was so excited when I saw Elizabeth Acevedo had a new book releasing. Her books never disappoint, and though this isn’t my favorite of hers (I don’t know how ‘With the Fire on High’ will be beaten for me) I still enjoyed it a lot. I loved the family dynamic and of course it was beautifully written in verse.

Camino and Yahaira
Hamad
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, 2020-reads
This Review ✍️ Blog 📖 Twitter 🐦 Instagram 📷

Last year I read the poet X, that was after months of going back and forth with the decision to read it or not. But the final decision to read it awarded me with one of the best poetry books I have ever read. That experience was enhanced by seeing a clip of the author reading parts of her book online in a video. She really does deserve to be a slam poetry champion.

This year, I didn’t even know she had another book coming and only knew a month or two pri

• Catherine's War
  • The Greatest Love Story Ever Told
  • Seven Endless Forests
  • Children of Virtue and Vengeance (Legacy of Orïsha, #2)
  • The Other Miss Bridgerton (Rokesbys, #3)
  • Hunting Prince Dracula (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #2)
  • Chasing Lucky
  • Ask Me His Name: Learning to live and laugh again after the loss of my baby
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
  • Bathe: The Art of Finding Rest, Relaxation and Rejuvenation in a Busy World
  • We Are the Wildcats
  • Perfect Little World
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • Trick Mirror: Reflections on Self-Delusion
  • The Girl from Widow Hills
  • Girl, Woman, Other
  • Lethal Agent (Mitch Rapp, #18)
ELIZABETH ACEVEDO is a New York Times bestselling author of The Poet X, With the Fire on High, and Clap When You Land. Her critically-acclaimed debut novel, The Poet X, won the 2018 National Book Award for Young People’s Literature. She is also the recipient of the Printz Award for Excellence in Young Adult Fiction, the CILIP Carnegie Medal, and the Boston Globe-Hornbook Award. Additionally, she w ...more

Articles featuring this book

“A queen
offers her hand to be kissed,
& can form it into a fist
while smiling the whole damn time.”
52 likes
“Fight until you can’t breathe, & if you have to forfeit, you forfeit smiling, make them think you let them win.” 37 likes