Start by marking “What Beauty There Is” as Want to Read:

(What Beauty There Is)

Winter. The sky is dark. It is cold enough to crack bones.

Jack Morton has nothing left. Except his younger brother, Matty, who he'd do anything for. Even die for. Now with their mother gone, and their funds quickly dwindling, Jack needs to make a choice: lose his brother to foster care, or find the drug money that sent his father to prison. He chooses the money.

Ava Bardem
Published April 6th 2021 by Roaring Brook Press

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Apr 06, 2021
    We're giving away 15 finished copies of Corey Anderson's stunning debut--perfect for fans of Patrick Ness, Laura Ruby, and Meg Rosoff. Enter now! ...more

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 15 copies available, 2249 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Apr 12 - Apr 19, 2021

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about What Beauty There Is, please sign up.
    Melissa Lattin
    This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
    Olivia Fink I am not sure if this is correct, but I just finished the book and my thinking is that the title is saying that in the horrible things in Jack and Ava…moreI am not sure if this is correct, but I just finished the book and my thinking is that the title is saying that in the horrible things in Jack and Ava's life they find beauty in each other. That they are what beauty there is. My thinking is based on what it says at the beginning of page 341, "His touch like a bright, yellow day. I am holding his hand. What Beauty there is in this world."(less)

Start your review of What Beauty There Is
    jessica
    Mar 03, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    oh wow. what beauty there is in this book was completely unexpected.

this story exceeded all of my expectations in terms of prose, narration, storytelling, characters, and atmosphere.

its one of those novels that forces you to feel and experience.

jack and matty are everything good in the world personified.

this is a story worth loving.

thank you so much to macmillan for the ARC!

Nilufer Ozmekik
    Jan 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Wowwww! This book hurt each bone in my body! My heart is ripped by tiny little razor blades! So intense, so heartfelt, so deep, so effective: it shook me to the core.

Those beautiful young characters are like Atlas carrying the entire world on their shoulders. Their pain, their struggle, their loneliness, their resilient, their inner strength blew my mind away!

Jack’s mother committed suicide: hanged herself in her room and the poor young son Jack buried his own mother, then took care of his li
    Joan He
    Jan 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I don't have many words to describe the experience of this book because it's left me quite speechless. the essence of it feels like a classic but it's also no frills, unpretentious, and so real and raw in how it presents itself. the writing is really something to marvel at and it's amazing how much Cory packs in three, two words, sometimes even one. Seriously, I could read her descriptions of the snow falling and the wind rustling through the Idaho pines all day long. But what really gripped me ...more
    Cassandra Hartt
    Feb 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I am obsessed with this book. Spare, haunting prose, an emotionally intense plot, and a setting that will chill you to the bone, you'll be rooting for Jack, Matty, and Eva through the very last page. ...more
    Paromjit
    Cory Anderson writes a beautifully lyrical and unforgettable novel set in a remote small town in the bone-chilling freezing and bleak wintry landscape of the Rockies. 17 year old Jack Dahl is bearing burdens no teenager should have to carry, his mother has been floating away from him and his younger brother, Matty, for some time with her opiate addiction, and has taken the final step to leave her family and life, by choosing to hang herself. His father, Leland, is incarcerated in prison for the ...more
    sahar
    Apr 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "some moments you long for, to live inside them, to never leave. others you regret. you wish for a second chance. i make sure to remember them all. it's a fine romance, this slow dance with fate. a sweet torture. i don't forget. i never will."

wow. my heart is completely shattered. if a perfect novel exists, this is it. such an amazing debut told in beautiful prose. it's truly one of those reads that will stick with you long after you've finished it.

prepare for an emotional journey that will kee
    Muzmuz
    1st thank you to the author and TheWriteReads for the ARC copy.

trigger warning: Violence, suicide and child abuse.

I didn't know what i was heading into when i 1st started reading this book, it was recommended to me by my good friend Dave and i just went into it blind.
    Now this story is told from two main views but mainly starts each chapter with "her" view and let me tell you I LOVE her little parts at the beginning of each chapter * practically highlighted all of them*
    The writing style was easy
    Shannon
    I am a complete and utter wreck. I don't know how I'm supposed to go on. I knew from the blurb that this book was going to be tough, but I didn't know just how brutal it would be. I almost stopped reading before I even really got started, but for Jack and Matty, like Jack and Matty, I had to keep going.

This story tore my heart apart, but it stole it as well. Jack and Matty own that battered and bruised organ and I don't care if I ever get it back. This book will haunt me for a very long time. It
    Marion
    Sep 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book is beautiful.

I love a book where I know the author has thought about each and every word before placing it on the page. Where the prose feels like poetry. When it feels like there is a rhythm and cadence to the sentences and paragraphs. I'm not reading a book, I'm experiencing it. This book is that.

I also love a book with a tight plot, perfect pacing, tense situations, and action and adventure. This book is that.

A well-written book with a tight plot and beautiful prose, however, is n
    Megan Rivera
    Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Jack has to make a choice: lose his brother to foster care, or find the drug money that sent his father to prison. It’s a great book with a lot of mystery and I really enjoyed it and if you enjoy mystery I would recommend reading it.
    Lili  Marcus
    What beauty There Is wasn’t just an action-packed thriller that had me at the edge of my seat, it was also heartbreaking, inspiring and almost haunting.

First, I want to talk about the potential trigger warnings in this book. There are a lot, but the one that affected me the most is the suicide element. I know it seems like I’m spoiling something but I think it’s important that readers dive into this book prepared. To be honest I was prepared. I was expecting potential triggers but the suicide pa
    Livy
    Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    This book was incredible. It was fast-paced and engaging and very atmospheric and I really felt like I was there with Jack, Matty and Ava as the plot unfolded.

The characters were well developed and felt very real as we got key insights into their psyche from Ava's perspective as well as getting what she thought of them all. Jack was a brilliant character, he would do anything for his little brother Matty and that was what kept him going throughout the entire book and sends him on his dangerous j
    Lousbookstuff
    Mar 22, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    You can find my full review for this as well as other books on my blog here

Oh, where do I even begin with this book? My poor, poor heart!

First of all let me just thank Dave at TheWriteReads, the author and the publisher for my gifted copy of this fantastic book and for giving me the chance to take part in this tour.

I absolutely devoured the story and couldn’t put it down.

For those who need trigger warnings ill just say that this book is quite dark and there is violence, suicide, drugs and child
    rina dunn
    Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Well hello there Cory Anderson with your absolute amazing Debut! Honestly be prepared for me to rave about your book because its one of the best books I've read in a while!

What Beauty There is a story about Jack and his little brother Matty. They have nothing. Nothing apart from each other, No family and no money. Jack is determined that they stay together, he can't lose him but the authorities are on their case and its either he finds the drug money that sent his father to prison or Matty is t
    Sara Ellison
    Feb 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
    If I had realized that this book was going to be the first in a series, I probably never would have requested it because the last thing I need in my life is to be invested in a YA series of books, particularly one that is only on book #1.

BUT.

I'm so glad I did request and read this book because I ended up LOVING it.

This book hit so many of the weird things that I like but barely ever get to read about. Bone-chillingly cold setting that makes me want to be snuggled under a blanket the entire tim
    Rebecca (Bex the Bibliophile)
    Thank you so much to TheWriteReads and the publisher Penguin for my review copy. This in no way affects my opinion.

What Beauty There Is is the first YA Thriller that I have read in a long time, but it has inspired me to dive back into the genre. I loved the novel’s fast-paced nature and am left wanting more; I can’t wait to see what Cory Anderson writes next.

My favourite part of What Beauty There Is was the relationship between Jack and Matty. The lengths that Jack went to protect his brother wa
    Permanently_Booked
    Apr 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: giveaways-arcs
    In my first impression I was drawn to the cover and had the feeling this would deliver something deliciously dark and magical. Dark is an understatement when it comes to the context of this novel and the magic I expected was more in the sense of hope and feeling. The best way to describe this novel is haunting and heavy. From the start it has a heartbreaking atmosphere with suicide and two brothers left alone to survive together. While Jack grows up too quickly making decisions that not only inc ...more
    Karen Barber
    The tale of Jack and Ava is bleak, but you can’t help but fall under their spell.
    Each of them knows what it’s like to have a secret. They’ve spent years learning to hide the reality of who they are. They each know how others judge them because of their family.
    Jack’s father is in prison for his involvement in crime. His mother has given up, and when Jack finds her hanged in her room, he vows not to let his younger brother down. He buries his mother, then sets about trying to do whatever he can t
    Carolann
    Feb 17, 2021 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
    I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

I really wanted to love this book. I thought I was going to love this book. And the other early reviews of this book are glowing. But a lot of this book felt very off to me.

The premise drew me in. Jack's mom commits suicide, leaving him to take care of Matty. He has to be careful not to let anyone know she has committed suicide because he knows they will take Matty away. They have less than $20, no food, no heat. So Jack decides
    Carolann
    Feb 17, 2021 rated it did not like it
    I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Meg
    Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Cory Anderson’s novel “What Beauty There Is” will chill you to your bones, only to remind you what warmth feels like.

Jack Dahl’s life is looking bleak. With his father in jail with no sign of parole and a mother who has given up on hope, Jack becomes the sole provider for his younger brother Matty. Money quickly becomes an issue for the two and Jack is tempted into retracing his father’s footsteps, looking for an answer to their money problems.

When Jack bumps into newcomer Ava at school, it’s
    Meg
    Feb 25, 2021 rated it really liked it

When Jack bumps into newcomer Ava at school, it’s
    Nicola Mackenzie-Smaller
    Apr 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
    I loved reading this book. It’s only in coming here to review that I have noticed it seems to be described as YA. Please don’t let that put you off. Cory Anderson has written a beautiful book and has clearly chosen to evoke feelings of absolute desolation alongside hope with some very carefully selected prose.
    Jack and his little brother Matty are in a pretty bad place when we meet them. Dad is in prison, mum has a serous addiction problem and they are about to be evicted. A horrifying turn of ev
    Amanda Shepard (Between-the-Shelves)
    4.5/5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan for an advanced copy of this to review! Honestly, the first thing I noticed about this book was the cover. Look how gorgeous it is! The writing within reflects the beautiful title, you can trust me on that.

First of all, this is a pretty dark, heavy book. It deals with a lot of heavy issues, like suicide, drug addiction, and abusive relationships. However, Anderson does it in such a way that your heart hurts for the characters. Jack and Matty find t
    Robin
    Apr 08, 2021 marked it as dnf
    Content Warnings: Graphic depictions of child neglect/abuse, Death, and Suicide

I only read about 20 pages so I wasn't even going to mark this as DNF. But I've looked through a bunch of reviews and didn't see a single trigger warning list. So I just wanted to pop on and mention that this opens up with a really intense scene of suicide and child neglect. Definitely tread cautiously! The writing was beautiful from what I read, but unfortunately I just wasn't able to handle the graphic depictions.
    Abigail Singrey
    Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    "I told Jack to stay away. He'll make you hurt, I said. He'll take what matters most. He'll do it with a smile and then he'll smoke a cigarette. Jack didn't listen."

Jack's father is in prison for killing a man during an armed robbery, and the briefcase full of money has never been found. His father double-crossed some dangerous people, including Bardem, the father of Ava, the new girl at school. When something happens to their mom, Jack desperately needs money to take care of his little brother,
    Maggie W.
    Feb 11, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: read-2021
    Out April 6th, I got an advanced reader copy. Tbh the characters were kinda bland, but the story wasn’t horrible ig
    Jessica
    Mar 25, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    I felt a heaviness in my chest reading this. Loneliness, desperation, and love interwine in a beautiful yet heartwrenching story. One that explored the sins of the father and what one would do for those you love.
    Jenny (Bookbookowl)
    Thankyou to Penguin Books Australia for providing me with a copy of this book, in exchange for an honest review.

When Jack’s mother dies, he knows there’s only a few dollars in the money jar and social services will be coming for him and his little brother, Matty. Their father is in prison and Jack remembers seeing the briefcase full of money before he went away. If he can find it, he and Matty might be able to survive a life on the run.

Ava meets Jack at school, but he doesn’t know her father is
    Sacha
    Mar 11, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Thanks to NetGalley and Roaring Brook Press for this arc, which I received in exchange for an honest review. I'll post that review upon publication.

This book has been compared to _Winter's Bone_. That's what drew me in, and if the suggestion does the same for you, this should be on your TBR list. Do be warned that there are some scenes with wound care that may disturb.

I'm thrilled this appears to be the start of the series and already cannot wait for future installments. More upon publication!
    Bookish First Rea...: What Beauty There Is by Cory Anderson 2 9 Mar 07, 2021 04:26PM
    Cory Anderson, a native of Idaho, is a storyteller who writes about her home in the Rocky Mountains. She is the winner of the League of Utah Writers Young Adult Novel Award and Grand Prize in the Storymakers Conference First Chapter Contest. What Beauty There Is is her debut novel.

• The Girls Inside