Start by marking “The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)” as Want to Read:
The Shadow World (The Eidolon Chronicles)

The Shadow World (Eidolon #2)

3.79  ·  Rating details ·  186 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
Ben Arnold had hoped that exposing Mr. Dodds's vile Pet Emporium -- abusiness that stole magical creatures from Eidolon to sell to England'srich and curious -- would prevent the Secret Country from fading away intoruin. However, it soon becomes clear that the evil, dog-headed Dodman'sreign of terror has only just begun. Ben's mother, Queen Isadora, returns to her homeland ...more
Published August 21st 2007 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Shadow World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shadow World

Heather
Jun 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: older elementary children
Intriguing fantasy, book two in the series. It was a little flat for me. I was invested enough in the story from book one that I wanted to see where it would go. And the ending was sufficient for me to want to read the next book. However, it is a child's book and not particularly riveting for most adults. There is a little humor in it, though it's subtle.

I was reading to approve it for my son, who is 7. I did let him read it, but I would caution other parents of sensitive children that there is
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Carrie Spellman for TeensReadToo.com

Time has passed since Ben Arnold ventured into The Secret Country. He's hoping that what he did there was enough to save what is left of its creatures, and land, and his mother. She's doing so much better now! But, Ben knows in his heart that eventually his mother will have to go back and assume her rightful role as Queen of Eidolon.

Knowing, and hoping against it, can't possibly prepare Ben for how quickly that day comes. Even though part of Ben h
nate
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever bought a book because it had a shirtless centaur on the cover? No, only me? Oh well.

It's true, though. I did buy it only because of the halfnaked (or entirely naked? Is fur considered to be clothing?) longhaired man who adored the pocketbook.

Before I bought it, I knew nothing of the book, or the series it belonged to, or the author who wrote it. I found it in a €1 bin in Malta, and as I had forgotten my pile of books to read by the pool that summer, I had to aquire a new pile in
Loralee
Oct 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is very cute! I don't read as many MG novels anymore as YA, but this one had a good plot and characters, and painted a well-detailed, enjoyable picture both of an English town and the secret magical world it connects to. The boy Ben from book 1 is a great character, and his fashion-conscious sister Ellie is great here as well as she stumbles into a magical kingdom, loses her favorite sandals, offers an ogre some lipstick, flatters her way past various monsters, and works with her brother to ...more
Jono Mcdermott
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The thrilling sequel to The Secret Country, following the fun, exciting and original adventures of Ben Arnold—Prince of Eidolon—and his friends Iggy the cat, Darius the centaur, Silver the selkie; his sister Ellie, and his mother, the Queen, as they battle the notorious Dodman in his evil quest to absorb all the magic in the world and rule Eidolon forever!

Perfect for children of all ages, The Shadow World is everything the middle book in a trilogy needs to be: fast, original and hugely entertain
Indah W
Feb 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-books
This is actually a pretty nice story but dunno why it took me ages to finish reading it, ahahahaha :p

But it's always nice to read something about the other world, or in this case, the shadow world where the people you see "here" where we live might seem different "there" in the shadow world, they might become monsters-look..

Ahahaha.. guess that I didn't share anything of what the book is all about, eh? :p
Katy
Oct 13, 2008 rated it liked it
This is the second book in this trilogy (I'm pretty sure it will only be a trilogy), but I'm not really sure what the point was. Other than one event at the very end (like the last 2 pages) it didn't feel like the story that started with The Secret Country. That said, overall, it was an enjoyable read.
Brian
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
An excellent coninuation of the story, taking the entire family into the magical world to fight the Doddman (Anubis). Great characters and good plot twists.
Karen
Apr 11, 2016 rated it liked it
The story wasn't bad, if entirely predictable (even for a child), but it still wasn't bad. I do have to wonder why so many prophecies in books have to be written in doggerel.
Sara
Apr 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Not as good as I would have hoped..
Zachary
Nov 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Spectacular in the utmost way.
It shows that no matter how hard evil tries, it will always have to give way to good.
Kimberly
Oct 26, 2010 rated it liked it
Cute story. Great for children getting into fantasy.
Grace
Apr 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, dragons, magic
I love this sequal, I thought the Secret Country was interesting and suspensful, and full of mystery, but this book just about tops it.
Evelyn
May 29, 2009 rated it it was ok
Humor and action mixed uneasily. Caricatures instead of characters. Astonishing carelessness with the Book of Names (that was what it was called, right?).
Alvaro
Oct 21, 2013
Sarah P.
Nov 13, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Dragonsdale (Dragonsdale, #1)
  • Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer (Clemency Pogue #1)
  • The Extraordinary Adventures Of Ordinary Basil
  • The Wooden Mile (Something Wickedly Weird #1)
  • Hawkite Arrow of the Air (Beast Quest, #26)
  • Peril at the Grand Prix: Italy (Secret Agent Jack Stalwart, #8)
  • The Wizard, the Witch, and Two Girls from Jersey
  • The Snow Merchant
  • The Ogre of Oglefort
  • Tomb of Doom
  • Ghosts and Gadgets (The Raven Mysteries #2)
  • The Black Paw (Spy Mice, #1)
  • The Constellation of Sylvie (The Sylvie Cycle, #3)
  • My Granny Went to Market: A Round-The-World Counting Rhyme
  • The Traitor King
aka Jude Fisher, Gabriel King (with M. John Harrison)

Jane Johnson is from Cornwall and has worked in the book industry for 20 years, as a bookseller, publisher and writer.

She was responsible for publishing the works of J R R Tolkien during the 1980s and 1990s and worked on Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movie trilogy, spending many months in New Zealand with cast and crew. Under the pseudonym o
More about Jane Johnson...

Eidolon (3 books)
  • The Secret Country
  • El Fuego Del Dragon (Eidolon, #3)