Start by marking “From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution” as Want to Read:
From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution

From Silence to Song: The Davidic Liturgical Revolution

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
The debate in many Reformed circles over worship music is only a small part of the larger question of Reformed liturgics. And dancing. All sides admit that the New Testament offers relatively little instruction on liturgy, and so the debate over the regulative principle continues with apparently little hope for resolution. In this study, Peter Leithart's key insight reveal ...more
Published June 1st 2003 by Canon Press

To ask other readers questions about From Silence to Song, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Silence to Song

Patrick Schlabs
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great exegesis of the interesting transition in Israel's worship from the Tabernacle of Moses to the Tabernacle of David. Leithart examines David's application of the Torah that lead him to incorporate music and singing into the sacrificial system. The last chapter deals with implications for our worship today. Overall, a very helpful book for any musical worship leader.
Melissa
Jul 06, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology, leithart
Really good stuff. The style is clearly early Leithart (and early Canon Press, too - they didn't reign in his footnotes nearly enough), but there is really good information contained in the book. It really takes off in the last chapter when Dr. L starts to express his personal opinion.

As a fun side-note, it's interesting to get a glimpse of the really early stages of modern Reformed liturgics - one footnote refers to an unpublished work by Jeff Meyers, tentatively titled The Lord's Service. A H
Christopher
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Bible is like a very active version of The Wood between the Worlds. A lot is happening and a Christian reader is hugely edified (praise God!), as he splashes through the puddles watching the action explicitly noted. However, there are also untapped depths in each pool. Here, Leithart puts on a ring and dives into texts we normally ice skate over, and what a fruitful project it is.
Aaron Ventura
Mar 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Some very insightful moments but left me with more questions than anything (which was kind of the goal of this book). I will need to re-read this after looking more closely at the texts in Chronicles.
David
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent treatment of the liturgical implications of King David's ark-tent on Mount Zion. I learned a lot about Chronicles!
Jason
Apr 09, 2010 rated it liked it
I appreciated this book simply because it provokes a great deal of serious reflection on what constitutes biblical worship.
Douglas Wilson
Jan 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: theology
Just great.
David Martin
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
The first five chapters are indispensable to me. The theology so clear, so helpful, so necessary as a foundation for our modern praxis related to worship.

Chapter six can be torn out of the book. (my opinion)
Selkie Narwhal
May 19, 2017 rated it did not like it
This book uses an OT example to argue for a "weak" RPW stance that undermines the Reformed Confessional beliefs. This author is dangerous and supportive of the Federal Vision heresy, New St. Andrews College and mentions positively Federal Visionists in this book.
Robert Murphy
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, wish-list
This is an beautiful book, though not really a complete one. However, this is appropriate to the status quo in Reformed Liturgics. We have been very lax in this area for a long time, and so others (with whom we disagree sharply in theology) have lead the way. Peter J. Leithart is breaking new ground for Presbyterians, but he thoughts are not fully formed, probably because the community of our faithful who ponder these issues is so small.

Proceeding backwards, he ends the book with some implicatio
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Peter Leithart received an A.B. in English and History from Hillsdale College in 1981, and a Master of Arts in Religion and a Master of Theology from Westminster Theological Seminary in Philadelphia in 1986 and 1987. In 1998 he received his Ph.D. at the University of Cambridge in England. He has served in two pastorates: He was pastor of Reformed Heritage Presbyterian Church (now Trinity Presbyter ...more
More about Peter J. Leithart...