Start by marking “Late Night Poetry” as Want to Read:
Late Night Poetry

Late Night Poetry

A love story told in answering machine messages.

Saying I love you to someone who says it first, isnt supposed to lead to a break-up, but thats what happens to Sully and Lou. Sully is out and proud while Lou is in the closet, so when their relationship deepens, Lou runs.

But then Lou starts leaving emotional messages of remorse on Sullys answering machine. Sully is torn
ebook, 1st edition
Published March 28th 2020 by JMS Books

To ask other readers questions about Late Night Poetry, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Late Night Poetry

Start your review of Late Night Poetry
Truuss / Loveislovereview
Shelves: 2020, m-m
I dont think there are a lot of other authors who can write romance the way Nell Iris does. That makes this author unique and one of my favorites to me. Romance with depth, feelings all over, my heart broke and mend together again. So much developed story and romance in just a few pages, its a gift to manage that.
Entwine poetry with a broken-up relationship and you get an amazing story. Looking at what they were together, at what was and maybe never will be. A story with dear supportive family
Scooby2
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
I loved the idea of a story being told over messages left on an answering machine and it didnt disappoint. Late Night Poetry is a quick story that is both sweet and heartbreaking. Although I do wish we had gotten more from Lou and Sully but thats just me being greedy. If you love reading Nell Iris, then you will love this one.

I give this story 3.5 stars.

I voluntarily reviewed and advanced copy of this book.
Becca
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
You are going to need tissues with this one. My word. Nell Iris never fails to pack a punch in the short stories she writes, and this one is no different.
Sully is an out and proud gay man and Lou is not. When the words I Love you are whispered one night by Lou, he never expected Sully to hear him, much less answer. And because of Lous family and not being able to come out, he knew he had to leave and stay gone. But both are miserable. And Lou keeps making late night phone calls leaving messages
ButtonsMom2003
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you love romance, this story is a MUST read!!

Every now and then I come across a story that just breaks me (in the best way) and my emotions get churned up so much that it's hard for me to settle back down. Some people call it a book hangover and that's exactly how I felt when I finished this short novelette. I'm still thinking about this book and I finished it over 12 hours ago. I'm sure I'll still be thinking about it weeks into the future.

I don't even believe I can really say anything
Ruthie Taylor
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
~~I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads ~~

I have just surprised myself and given this 5*s - and it deserves it because in only 40 or so pages it gave me an absolutely complete romance. I am still staggered at how it achieved it, but believe me, it does.

Sully is listening to the phone messages left by the remorseful Lou, and trying to cope with his heart breaking as the man who ended it can't help but keep in touch. Lou is even using poetry to get his sadness
Sarita Chapdelaine
Shelves: arc
This is an amazing story and even though it is very quick there is a lot of emotion and sweetness packed into it. Every message left by Lou comes from his heart and he wants Sully to know that he is always in his thoughts. Sully's heart breaks every time he listens to Lou's messages but he can't stop himself from listening to them. Both of them are miserable without each other but equally unable to move on. I love this well written and emotional story and I can't wait to read more books by this ...more
Angie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy to read and review for Wicked Reads

Oh man. This was a short read but full of the feels. I can imagine this happening in real life and it made it that more emotional for me. Simple, beautiful and heartwrenching.
Jenny Wood
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Ah, the 90show I miss you!

I picked this story because even by the blurb, I knew it would break my heart. It did. See, Lou and Sully were and though Sully came out and lost a few people he cared about, Lou knew that if he did, hed lose everyone. Everyone but Sully, anyway he was too scared to risk it, so he ended things with Sully over an answering machine. As a teenager in the 90s, I know how badly that hurts, I had an unrequited love of my brothers best friend and he too, would call and leave
Maria Vickers
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let me first say this, the description says the heat rating on this is a one star, it's more like a two or three. Late Night Poetry is a quick read that will completely satisfy you as it breaks your heart. No, it's not a huge tear-jerker like some of the MM books I've read, but it's enough to pull on the heartstrings. You feel Sully's pain, but not only his, you feel the loss and regret from Lou.

Lou has his own battle to fight, and sadly, it lost him the man he loved. Sully's own heartache is
K.R. Phoenix
🌟🌟🌟🌟 4.5 stars
🔥🔥 Heat Level: 2

Sweet, heartwarming and hopeful!

I love Nells writing, she has a way of injecting so many emotions into such short just wonderful stories and this one is no exception. T loved the concept of this story and while unusual Nell makes it work and allows us to feel all the hurt, regret, love and hope through a unique story. Using a good old fashioned answering machine to ta=ell the past hurt of Sully & Lou as Sully tries to get over Lou and Lou tries to come to terms
Ro
Apr 02, 2020 rated it liked it
I know I'm in the minority on this one. I'm a big fan of now Iris and I was really looking forward to this one. I think the length worked against it, because while I love the answering machine messages I didn't really feel the connection between the two and I wanted to know more about what happened when Lou talk to his parents, why he was so afraid, what happened after he came back to the apartment, etc
Valerie
Mar 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This story was both sweet and heartbreaking, but laid out in a way that there are no villains, only horrible circumstances. Lou and Sully are perfect for each other and while this book is laid out in moments, I became invested from the first message Lou left Sully. A lovely read that I highly recommend!!
Lillian Francis
I'm going to have to sit and contemplate my rating.

A short, mostly bittersweet tale of a break up neither party wanted. The Happy Ending while clearly defined, didn't quite last long enough to combat the melancholy of the rest of the story.
Maureen
Apr 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
A short story consisting of answering machine messages between Sully and Lou. A broken romance with one of them full of regret, its a touching story with sweet poetry being quoted by miserable Lou. ...more
Elle
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely short story.

The characters are sensitively portrayed, as are their communications, and the poetry that runs almost all of the way through is beautiful. It's a well written short story, which is both poignant and angsty for the most part. However, it's worth reading for Lou and Sully's conversations, and the swoony ending. A lovely short romantic story. Recommended.
Lisa
I have come to love Nell Iris writing style and this was no different. A short and sweet little afternoon delight. It was sweet and brutal all in the one breath but utterly Devine.

Sully has lost the love of his life all because of homophobic parents. With the man he loves choosing to stay in the closet he thinks he is doing the right thing by Sully. But then Lou starts leaving romantic love poems on Sullys answering machine how is he ever meant to get over him.

Sometime love can over come
Anita
Beautifully and cleverly written. Ms. Iris always gives you an uber romantic read in a few short pages. Takes a masterful skill to deliver a multi layered story in the short story format. Loved this!! Ms. Iris has become an autobuy for me.
Kristina
Angela Goodrich
Mar 18, 2020
Nell Iris
Mar 19, 2020 marked it as written-by-me  ·  (Review from the author)
Katrina Dehart
added it
Bev Taylor
Desiree
Mar 30, 2020

• Bet on Love (Good Bad Idea, #1)
  • Give Me A Hand (Beyond Desire, #1)
  • Forgotten (Heaven and Hell Club, #2)
  • Rules to Ignore (Davey's Rules, #7)
  • Making Rules (Davey's Rules #6)
  • Caulky (Four Bears Construction, #1)
  • The Pathfinders
  • Saving Rafe (Lords of Discord #2)
  • My Brother's Best Friend (Brotherly Love, #1)
  • Ex Meridian (Nothing Special, #7)
  • One in Between
  • Beefcakes
  • Conspiracy Theory (Hamarsson and Dempsey #1)
  • Need for Speed (The Elite, #2)
  • Foreseen: Lex (The Four #2)
  • Kissing... Cousins? (Sprung Like Spring, #1)
  • Harder They Fall (Haven Hills #4)
  • While You Were Sleepwalking (Sprung Like Spring, #2)
Nell Iris is a romantic at heart who believes everyone deserves a happy ending. Shes a bona fide bookworm (learned to read long before she started school), wouldnt dream of going anywhere without something to read (not even the ladies room), loves music (and singing along at the top of her voice but shes no Celine Dion), and is a real Star Trek nerd (Make it so). She loves words, bullet journals, ...more

News & Interviews