Jump to ratings and reviews
Fools rush in where gods fear to tread

Hear that rumble? No, it's not my stomach, though I could really go for a goat or three. It's Thor. THE Thor who threatened to knock my head off with his stupid hammer back in the Viking Age. As of ten minutes ago, he was also my buddy, but revelatory runes and pissy Norns have a penchant for crapping on the great (former) god Loki. If mortality is a thorn in my side, Thor is a spiked baseball bat suppository.

But my enemy-turned-friend-turned-raging-berserker-maniac is only the tip of my massive iceberg of problems. Thor’s daddy Odin wants a piece of me, preferably the piece that keeps me breathing. Strange things are afoot at the Asgard Awakening television studio in Los Angeles where my friends and I are about to guest star on the popular program. With a sudden shift in control behind the scenes of the show, mysterious players are arriving on set, and nothing is as it seems. As destructive forces from my past resurface in a disturbing pattern I know all too well, I’m having second thoughts about restarting Ragnarok. My immortality is no longer the only thing on the line. It’ll be game over for humanity (again) if the centuries-old feud between the Odin crime family and the House of Loki bleeds into the modern world.

FOOLED is the fourth and final book in the Asgard Awakening urban fantasy comedy series

Kindle Edition

First published November 23, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Kendall Grey

29 books1,611 followers
A whale warrior, marathoner wannabe, and vodka martini aficionado, Kendall Grey is calm like an F-bomb*. She writes books about fierce women in genres ranging from erotica to urban fantasy comedy. Her aliases include Kendall Day (FALLING FOR MR. SLATER) and Seven Slade (COMING OUT).

Kendall lives off a dirt road near Atlanta, Georgia with her dashing geek husband, a one-eyed Dachshund that thinks she's a cat, and an incorrigible yet adorable mutt whose ice-blue eyes will steal your heart and hold it for ransom.

*Detonation manual not included.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews
Profile Image for Kendall Grey.
Author 29 books1,611 followers
Read
September 15, 2021

FOOLED is now LIVE on Amazon! The answers to your burning questions will be answered. Will Loki find her final rune and regain her immortality? Will Thor smash stuff up (namely Loki's head)? Will Odin and Frigg get what they deserve? And most importantly ... Loki and Gunnar Magnusson: Will they or won't they? 🧐

Now's a great time to read RUNED, GILDED, and DRAGGED if you haven't already.

I'M SO EXCITED!

Profile Image for Rhiannon Chillingworth.
696 reviews149 followers
August 3, 2021
"I’m both woman and man with the best parts of each. I am both genders and neither. I am anything and everything I could ever wish to be. I am Loki.”

This is just one of so many quotes I could have chosen that show why I ADORE this series so much.

This series is just wonderful. It has everything and I mean, everything.

Loki is, hands down, one of my favourite book characters ever. They are just so vibrant and deep and real and flawed. Their relationship with Gunnar is an absolute joy to have witnessed in its development and all of the secondary characters are just amazing.

The whole premise of the book, with the Norse God's reborn inside 21st Century bodies, many of whom are in different gendered bodies, is such an interesting and engaging one, and thew ay the Norse Mythology is weaved in is top notch.

The pacing and plot, both within I dovodual books, and the over arching plot, is the perfect mix of action and character development and the ending of the whole series on this book is emensely satisfying.

What put this book also above the rest is the wonderfully refreshing way it deals with gender. Loki is a biologically male God, who identifies as male, reborn into a female body. Gunnar is male and Loki goes through such a journey regarding their feelings for Gunnar and the way they have changed as a person, outside of tradition ally assumed gender traits. It's just so wonderful to read and has really made me think about gender in a different way.

Seriously, I cannot imagine how anyone could not like this series. Please read it right now!!!
44 reviews
December 2, 2020
This whole series was so different, with characters you just fall in love with. It’s funny, suspenseful and uses Norse mythology to make a wonderful statement of love is love regardless of gender boundaries. Loved it and would happily read more if the author continues the series.
Profile Image for Abi.
1,928 reviews
December 4, 2020
This was a solid conclusion to this quartet, and I'd appreciate a spin-off series if Ms. Grey ever does one. Loki is funny, charming, regretful, and owns her self in this one, and it's great to watch. All the other characters were good additions to the story as well. The story wraps things up well, with decent pacing and good messaging. It was perhaps a little long, but justifiable due to it being the final book in the series. Overall, this book was hilarious, heart wrenching, action-packed, romantic, and full of gods and magic. I've really enjoyed this series and I would definitely recommend it. 4 stars.
Profile Image for Natalie .
2,332 reviews32 followers
December 4, 2020
Fun, straightforward conclusion. I liked the ending and how things played out. Felt sorry for Freddie. Favourite part of the book was trying to modernise Thor and Loki spending time with Hel. I’d read a spin off. An interesting series.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Annie (Annie's Readingtips).
428 reviews6 followers
March 17, 2021
This final installment in the fabulous Asgard Awakening series was the absolute perfect conclusion to this fun and queer retelling of the Norse mythology set in the 21st century. It was both so exciting to reach the end of the story and so sad that it was time to say goodbye to Loki, Gunnar Magnusson, Freddie, Darryll Donovan and all the other characters I’ve come to love during these four books.

Loki is the former Norse god of mischief who has been reborn as a woman. Throughout the series he’s been on a quest to regain his immortality together with his friends (and love interest) Gunnar Magnusson. Here, the story continues where the third book ended, with Gunnar Magnusson and Loki trying to change Loki’s destiny to die on a Tuesday by going parachuting of the Golden Gate Bridge. Luckily neither of them dies, but upon landing they find themselves being chased by Allfather Odin who wants to kill Loki for things he’s done in the past (Ragnarok for example…) together with Thor, who has been reincarnated as the sweet Darryl Donovan, but has now regained his memories and been transformed back to his old caveman self.

As always Loki causes chaos and mischief wherever he goes, but now he’s reached the end of the journey and it’s time to face his past and take responsibility for his wrongful actions in a final judgement.

I’m so in love with all the characters and their growth during this series. Especially Loki of course, who’s grown from a selfish and immature trickster god to a decent and caring person who starts to see things from others’ perspective and realize how much pain he’s caused others.

“You’ve grown soft in this modern age,” Huginn catches my eye. “It’s a good look for you, Loki.”
Am I becoming… decent? Nah. That would be utterly embarrassing.

Generally, this book felt a bit more grown-up than the others in the series, with Loki getting so many revelations and gaining a lot of new insights. At the end of the journey, he’s realized that life isn’t about the destination, but about how you treat those you encounter on the way, and that love can come in many different ways.

“Our souls don’t care which clothes we wear. Nor do they care whom we fall in love with. Love is love.”

I love the found family he’s created along the way with his friends. I also absolutely adore the fresh take on gender that is so well executed and unique throughout this series. The way Loki (and many of the other characters) swaps between pronouns without losing his identity is so well done.

“I’m both woman and man with the best parts of each. I am both genders and neither. I am anything and everything I could ever wish to be. I am Loki.”

Some parts of the story were perhaps a little long, especially up until the big trial part, but all in all it wrapped up things so well in the end and was a perfect finale to this completely unique urban fantasy comedy. This is an amazing series with an important message about gender and identity and the love and importance of found families. Not to mention that it is utterly hilarious, I laughed out loud so many times! I recommend this series with all my heart, also to those who don’t normally read fantasy!

Thank you to the author Kendall Grey for the free review copy. I am leaving this review voluntarily and all opinions are my own.

4.5 epic stars rounding up to 5
Profile Image for Melanie Marsh.
462 reviews18 followers
January 31, 2021
Holy Odin’s underpants, this book (and series) had me rolling with both laughter and tears. Granted, not all of the tears were happy tears, but the happy far outweighed the sad. Unfortunately, this is the last book in the series, but I’m really, really hoping Kendall Grey decides to write a spin off or 5 because I’m not ready to say goodbye to these characters.

It was amazing to me to see the progression in Loki’s personality. Going from a selfish and childish god to a caring and mature woman couldn’t have been easy, but Loki pulled it off. Don’t get me wrong, there were still plenty of immature jokes that I thoroughly enjoyed, but the actions of the former god had definitely grown to be something of worth. Seeing the internal struggles Loki dealt with gave her a realism. We all struggle with internal issues, but as the series progressed, Loki learned to handle whatever was thrown at her.

This is definitely a series I enjoyed reading. I’ll miss all the adventures and action. And of course, the humor. I enjoyed the Norse mythology, and it’s inspired me to look further into that subject. I’ve always found it fascinating, but this kind of jump started me into remembering to read more about it.
70 reviews
October 2, 2021
Great wrap-up

A great finale for a fantastic four-book saga. Read all four books in four days, couldn’t stop. A very satisfying and funny saga that was a perfect escape from all the awful news and mean-spirited social media permeating our lives now. Only downside? Now it’s over. Hope she continues to write in this wonderful, bizarre world she has created.
341 reviews3 followers
October 16, 2021
I love this quote: "Love is love. May we all find it in whatever form works for us."

I love these books. I laughed my butt off in places but this one made me cry more than once. I won't say why because it'd spoil things but this just might have been the best of the four. The relationships are so real and I just love the 'team' Loki has and the way they all accept her and each other. Odin and Frigg still suck but I do feel a little sorry for the old buzzard still pining for his bitch of a wife.

Loki has really made some changes and I'm not sure if it was just becoming human that did it, the fact that she's female now instead of male or the friends she's made along the way. I think it may be a combination of all of the above.

Great story and I do recommend for Loki fans and not just the Tom Hiddleston ones either but anyone who loves a trickster.

Profile Image for Macjest.
1,130 reviews6 followers
December 20, 2021
This was the end of the stories for Loki and company. I totally enjoyed the journey. The only thing hanging me back from giving a 5 was the pacing. Other than that, I enjoyed watching the characters get their memories back and wondering who would stand by Loki. Great ending and a redemption was all I could ask for.
1 review
November 10, 2022
Pleasantly surprised

Picked up the first one a few years ago and have followed ever since. Wasn't sure what to expect, but I figured you can't go wrong with a good Loki story. I'm glad I did. I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the series.
Displaying 1 - 14 of 14 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.