Start by marking “Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum” as Want to Read:

(The Agile Software Development Series)

Lean Development and Agile Methods for Large-Scale Products: Key Thinking and Organizational Tools for Sustainable Competitive Success Increasingly, large product-development organizations are turning to lean thinking, agile principles and practices, and large-scale Scrum to sustainably and quickly deliver value and innovation. However, many groups have floundered in thei ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Addison-Wesley Professional

To ask other readers questions about Scaling Lean & Agile Development, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Scaling Lean & Agile Development

Start your review of Scaling Lean & Agile Development: Thinking and Organizational Tools for Large-Scale Scrum
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I've decided to read this book, becase:
* someone from Agile Warsaw community has brought LeSS up to my attention as a simple & flexible way to scale Scrum as opposite to SAFe I'm allergic to
* I found the description on http://less.works promising, but far from actual issues that appear "on the battlefield"
* I've enjoyed watching Craig Larman's video about LeSS: http://www.ndcvideos.com/#/app/video/...

And this was not a bad decision at all.

1. Book composition is very interesting: authors start wi
Ryan Morton
This book addressed some of the trickiest challenges I've been facing for years in Product Development, Software & Hardware Engineering, agile transformations, and simply modern management practices. If you work on any teams within any technical field and want to go faster, then I'd suggest reading this book; especially if you work in an organization of 50 to 500 to 1000s of staff.

As an agile coach and practitioner , I've had a pretty deep understanding of the core aspects of agile, but this bo
Juliana
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As a coach and consultant, I use Scaling Lean and Agile Development as bible in this field. This isn't a book you sit down to read from front to back in one sitting. Rather, I've immersed myself in chapters based on the current problem/situation at hand. This is my handiest reference and always enjoy the sound advice of Craig and Bas. A must have in any Coach's/CIO's/Scrum Master's collection!
Paulo
Feb 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
É muito superior ao trabalho posterior, "Large-Scale Scrum".
Georgy
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
I want to readthis book to get knowthe Agile Development.
Sergey Makarkin
Very good book on system thinking, organizational design and agility. Highly recommend to everyone involved in organizational change (even if your change has nothing to do with agile).
Renee
Jul 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Some good ideas, but a lot of it feels like it would only work in Japan, not in the US.
Dec 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is fantastic. The organizational context is well explained and many times suggested approaches are included that often come from the authors' direct experiences.

The systems thinking chapter is insightful. Many know components of this, but putting it together for this purpose and in this way was helpful and will be a valuable brainstorming/thinking tool. The continual emphasis on being agile rather than "doing it" is spot on... because (in my opinion) this will succeed or fail on how w
Henri Hämäläinen
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
I haven't lately read that many books on Agile and software development, since I have felt that I learn more about software development reading about other subject than software development. Also some of the books have been quite boring, but I wanted give Craig Larmans and Bas Voddes book a change based on good reviews I had seen.

Too often books about Agile or Lean say mainly the same things that all other books are saying. Scaling Lean & Agile Development was a fresh exception. Although it did
Lachlan
Jan 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a fantastic book to help with the issues of taking scrum/agile/lean/xp from a small software development team into a much larger scale product development effort. The depth of knowledge and experience of the authors demonstrated by the fact that they don't give any silver bullets, but describe tools for dealing with complexity of scaling.

The first half of the book on Thinking tools is well considered and useful. Most of it isn't a surprise to me, but the section is well written and disti
Patrick
The best book I've read for agile practitioners. Not for noobs... this isn't an introduction. But if you've been running agile projects for a year or two and want to know where to go from here, Larman lays things out clearly and practically, and I found very, very few points I disagree with. I'm even tempted to read the "companion" volume, although it promises to be filled with much more hands-on advice, and sounds a bit less useful for me.

Larman starts out by providing giving a bit of backgroun
Marek
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile
Really good book, I found many good tips inside. It is not only for large-scale scrum, all is absolutely valid also for a company with just two teams. I liked the fresh perspective on agile development - it is simply not enough to create some teams doing Scrum and pretend that the company is now agile. To be agile the *whole* company including management (above all), marketing and HR has to change.

Just one thing that distracted me... in this book cross-functional teams are described as a silver
Pawel Wujczyk
Jun 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
I am not an expert in Scrum but I have a lot of experience in it. I was in witness when one of the biggest development factory in Poland tried to implement scrum. I don't like all elements of scrum but I like agile. So this was background of review.
Book has a lot of interesting information, and also a lot of topics which for me weren't interesting. For me book was difficult to read, maybe because I'm not used to this kind of books. I learn something from it but it wasn't something what change m
Torben Rasmussen
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Excellent book. Lots and lots of practical experience brilliantly conveyed including background on theory and practices.
This will help you tremendously in implementing agile in any larger enterprise.
A must read for anyone thinking about taking in scrum or another agile process, whether in software or product development in general.
The writing is very concise and practical and will immediately read the companion book with more detail on practices.
Kully
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hard to believe this is 8 years old already.

Packed full of examples and experiments. I love the way they present different views & doubt themselves even, a self awareness and humility lacking in much online and printed literature.

I read the companion book first, I was mistaken, this is the one to read first.
Edward Sargisson
Jan 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I found this book a very useful and detailed approach to the subject. I especially liked how it related Agile to general topics in Operations Management and the information about the Toyota Production System
Damir Prusac
Feb 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Always getting back to this book to influence others with "back to basic" approach. Feature development and how to scale it in big organizations is written on a very easy and understandable way. Warmly recommend.
Jul 19, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: work

Not a bad book with some interesting insights. Would have given it another star if they hadn't advocates for firing all PMs in a later chapter.
Oct 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Many useful models and tools for preparing to scale
MrSnow76
Jun 06, 2016 rated it liked it
repetition of many contents of other books, didn't really give me new insights into scaling of agility
Kristjan
Dec 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent insights and highly recommended read.
Thom Leggett
Piotr Gregorczyk
Jan 30, 2020
Patrick Verheij
Aug 05, 2012
Scrum Masters and...: Taking your Lean & Agile game to next level 1 26 Jul 02, 2016 05:39AM

• Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Agile Retrospectives: Making Good Teams Great
  • Impact Mapping: Making a Big Impact with Software Products and Projects
  • The Phoenix Project: A Novel About IT, DevOps, and Helping Your Business Win
  • On Dialogue
  • Nonviolent Communication: A Language of Life
  • QBQ! The Question Behind the Question: Practicing Personal Accountability in Work and in Life
  • Lean Enterprise: How High Performance Organizations Innovate at Scale
  • Desiring God: Meditations of a Christian Hedonist
  • Knowing God
  • The Passion of Jesus Christ
  • If God Is Good: Faith in the Midst of Suffering and Evil
  • Heaven: Biblical Answers to Common Questions
  • C.S. Lewis Signature Classics
  • The Reason for God: Belief in an Age of Skepticism
  • Alone With God (MacArthur Study Series)
  • The Gospel According to Jesus: What Does Jesus Mean When He Says "Follow Me"?
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

The Agile Software Development Series (8 books)
  • Crystal Clear: A Human-Powered Methodology for Small Teams
  • The Scrumban [R]Evolution: Getting the Most Out of Agile, Scrum, and Lean Kanban
  • Scaling Software Agility: Best Practices for Large Enterprises
  • Agile Project Management: Creating Innovative Products (Agile Software Development Series)
  • Collaboration Explained: Facilitation Skills for Software Project Leaders
  • Managing Software Debt: Building for Inevitable Change
  • Beyond Requirements: Analysis with an Agile Mindset

News & Interviews

“What do you miss, no longer working at Toyota?” He replied, “No longer discussing perfection with people.” 0 likes