Start by marking “Strike Me Down” as Want to Read:
Strike Me Down

Strike Me Down

From the critically acclaimed author of Leave No Trace, the “nail-biting page-turner that grabs you early and never lets go” (The Real Book Spy), comes a visceral thriller where a high stakes crime triggers a woman’s complicated and potentially deadly search for the truth.

Nora Trier catches thieves. As a forensic accountant and partner in her downtown Minneapolis firm, she
Published April 7th 2020 by Atria/Emily Bestler Books

To ask other readers questions about Strike Me Down, please sign up.

Start your review of Strike Me Down
Meredith
Mar 05, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
“It’s not what you know. It’s what you can prove.”

Strike Me Down is a mystery about $20 million that's gone missing.

Nora, a forensic accountant, finds herself drawn into a game of cat and mouse between a superstar kick boxer, Logan Russo, and her husband Gregg, the man behind the scenes.

This is a difficult review to write. I have loved Mejia's previous books and this book checks all of the boxes that I usually look for in a good mystery/thriller: It’s well-written and smart. The mystery is
Nilufer Ozmekik
Jan 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sexy, violent, controversial, heart throbbing page-turner! Let the games begin !

A smart, unconventional, sexy, too much independent and powerful forensics accountant Nora Trier who catches thieves and put them behind the bars is not the kind of heroine we get used to read! Now she is hired to find missing 20 million dollars prize money of anti-corporate feminist athletic empire named “STRIKE”!

But we have a conflict of interest: because this means Nora will work for her idol and trainer Logan Rus
Chelsea Humphrey
Although not her typical story, Strike Me Down is a sexy, sleek spy-type thriller full of suspense. I'm not typically drawn to the financial thriller, but being that this is Mindy Mejia, of course I had to give it a try. The story is well-written and intricately plotted, and if this is your typical sub-genre to read, I think you'll appreciate some of the finer details more than I was able to. The core mystery involves a missing $20 million, and this was the driving factor in my journey with this ...more
Sandy
Jan 01, 2020 rated it really liked it

This is a book that wastes no time grabbing your attention. After reading the blurb, you have a fair idea of the initial set-up. Then you read the first few pages. Wait…what? No worries, that’s just a little taste of what’s to come. The story then goes back in time to the previous week & how it all began.

Nora Trier used to be your average CPA. That was before she was named as the whistle-blower in a case that brought down a major corporation & made her a pariah, both personally & profes
Susanne  Strong
Nov 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobooks, netgalley
Deception.

A Husband and Wife team whose business is in trouble. 20 Million Dollars has gone missing! Each suspects the other.

That is where Nora Trier, a Forensic Accountant comes in.

Gregg Abbot hires Nora to find the missing money. Time here is of the essence. Gregg and his wife Logan Russo own Strike - an athletic empire which is holding a tournament to find the new face of the business. The prize - you guessed it: $20 Million. If the money isn’t found in five days, the gig will be up.

“Strik
Mary Kubica
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Mindy Mejia’s latest whodunit, financial thriller draws readers into the high stakes world of kickboxing. Whip-smart, expertly plotted and entirely unpredictable, STRIKE ME DOWN is unlike anything I’ve ever read. A must read!
Anne Bogel
Mar 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was such fun!

Forensic accountant Nora Trier has devoted her life to finding and prosecuting fraud. She’s flattered and surprised when the co-owner of feminist fitness empire Strike comes to her with a problem: he needs Nora to find a missing twenty million dollars, and find it fast.

The #1 suspect is his co-owner—and wife—Logan Russo. Nora knows she should say no: Logan is her trainer, and her idol. And worse, Nora once had a one-nightstand with Logan’s husband, before she knew who he was.
Kristy
Nora Trier is a forensic accountant. She prides herself on her lack of bias and her ability to stay completely independent in her cases. As such, she's able to catch a lot of criminals. That all changes when Strike, a large athletic and kickboxing company hires Nora's firm. They are headed by Logan Russo, a bold famous athlete and hero to the world, and her husband, Greg Abbott, who runs the marketing side of the company. Strike is ready to launch their biggest event yet--a kickboxing tournament ...more
Monnie
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's not often I stay up later than usual and finish a book in bed, even if there are just a couple of chapters to go. Add this one to the short list of those that made the trip upstairs.

Mostly that's because the story is so unique - when was the last time you saw a character who's an international kickboxing phenom (female, no less)? Ditto for one who's a cracker-jack forensic accountant (also a female)? Throw in the the sudden disappearance of $20 million and husbands and wives who, let's say,
Elizabeth
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Tl;dr: Mindy Mejia has written another great thriller that stands genre conventions on their heads, and Stike Me Down is a fantastic, remarkable read.

Mindy Mejia has written another great thriller. This one is about forensic accounting and kickboxing--yes, you read that right. And guess what? The forensic accounting stuff is *more* interesting than the kickboxing! I loved the heroine, Nora, though I suspect a few readers may object to her lifestyle choices (she's in an open marriage, but the su
Kendall
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is something completely different then Mindy Mejia's previous novels I have read.

Strike Me Down is a spy time of thriller that definitely leaves you on the edge of your seat with suspense. I have to say that this was a super quick read and was a fun ride!

I loved how Mindy used kick ass female characters in this novel and plot surrounding martial arts! It' something different and unique that we don't usually see in our thrillers!

This was a fun one and recommend reading if you want a quick
Michelle Only Wants to Read
2.5 ...because I like Mindy Mejia's books.

This book is about:

description

...and a fraud investigation on Strike (a word you will read about 1234589 million times in the story), an elite brand of urban gyms, fancy protein bars, smoothies and more...

description

Someone took a big chunk of cash. Who could have done that?

(view spoiler)
Jan
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wavering between 3.5 and 4 stars. Need to think on this a bit...
And after further though I'm settling on 3.5 based on how quickly I forgot what this was even about :-/

In true Mejia style, she created another kick-ass and take-no-names female protagonist, which to me was the shining star of this book. The plot came out swinging as well, but further in I found myself struggling to stay focused.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad read. I've just had better experiences with this author, and hope to a
Kate Olson
Sep 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
UGH. First half had me super into it - 4/5 stars. The second half fell off a cliff and by the time I got to the last few chapters ....... I was just disgusted that I’d kept reading because it was like the author ran out of time and just starting pulling random old drafts out and pasting stuff in just to finish. So disappointed that I dedicated days to reading this when my time is so precious. I can appreciate a quality thriller. This was NOT one of them.
Laura • lauralovestoread
May 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs, 2020, atria
Strike Me Down tempted me with the premise of a protagonist named Nora who catches thieves and upends millions of dollars. While I could see many people loving this type of legal spy thriller, as I attempted twice to get into it, I just don’t think this one was for me.

*thank you Atria for the gifted copy for review. All opinions are my own

Wendy Walker
Jun 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
If you want something original, suspenseful, well-written and utterly unputdownable - here you go! Loved every page.
Authentikate
2.50-ish stars rounded up.

This is not a mystery thriller. It’s sort of a legal/investigative drama. I kept waiting for it to ramp up and it didn’t (for me). Perhaps if a reader goes in to it knowing it’s a drama not a thriller they would feel more satisfied. 🤷‍♀️
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)

Domestic drama meets financial thriller in the latest from Mejia. I love the concept of this. That fitness guru you're fascinated with and look up to. The unconventional familial relationships. The large prize money missing. Embezzlement. Conspiracy theories. Gimme all of it!

Mejia brings us two very strong female characters in Nora and Logan. Both fierce, independent and extremely good at their jobs. Personally, I miss my kickboxing days so reading this got me a bit amped up and so read
Nicole Chinnici
A suspense/thriller that highlights strong women, Strike Me Down was an entertaining if somewhat forgettable read.

Opening with a scene to hook the reader, this then goes back in time to reveal the events leading up to and then following it. It’s told through two perspectives: Nora, an extremely successful forensic accountant; and Gregg, co-owner of athletic empire Strike who hires Nora’s firm days before its major kickboxing tournament because the prize money has gone missing. This plot structur
reading is my hustle
i finished this but skimmed towards the end; it is tragically dull. a forensic accountant mystery is not my cuppa. (view spoiler) ...more
Hannah Mary McKinnon
Dec 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Who said numbers are boring? Take a kick-boxing tournament, $20 million of missing prize money, a tenacious forensic accountant…and you’ve got yourself one heck of a spectacular, original thriller. Mindy Mejia’s STRIKE ME DOWN is fast-paced, masterfully woven and wholly unexpected, with an ending that’ll make your jaw drop. An absolute must read.
Megan Collins
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Normally, a book about forensic accounting and kickboxing wouldn’t be for me. I’m the least athletic person on earth and accounting is...accounting. But since Mindy Mejia is the author of said book, I knew I was in for a thrilling time, no matter the subject. In STRIKE ME DOWN, Nora Trier’s firm has been hired to track down missing money (twenty million dollars, to be exact) that has been allocated for winners of Strike Down, an epic kickboxing tournament hosted by athletic empire Strike. Nora, ...more
Lisa Malmquist
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
An interesting forensic accounting book. More about following the money and clues than finding a killer. More of a suspense story where you just have to finish it to find out who did it!
Some twists that were unusual and unexpected. A bit different but interesting nonetheless.
Strike is a company that has health clubs all over the US. The clubs feature kickboxing workouts and empowering people from all walks of life whoever they are.
The concept is smart. The face of the clubs is Logan Russo, tough
Tish
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.5 stars. A fast-moving financial thriller with kick-ass (literally!) characters and enough twists to keep you guessing. Enjoyable to read, but I never really connected with any of the characters.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free e-ARC of this book
Thamy
Mar 15, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley2020
Thriller and accountants shouldn't be words in the same sentence, but this worked.

Nora has become a forensic accountant, going after frauds and other financial mysteries, and she's good. But is she good enough to find 20 million dollar that went missing when the only suspects are her client and his wife, who happens to be Nora's idol?

You know... I liked this. I enjoyed the read, the idea was good. I was just not into the execution. The first big flaw is that it goes too slowly. And the accountin
Kris - My Novelesque Life
DNF @22%
2020; Atria/Emily Bestler Books

I went into this audiobook right after finishing another audiobook, and was already having a tough tie with Strike Me Down. I did not tag it as "currently reading" as I wasn't even sure I was going to make it past the 10% mark. But I really should track all of my reading just to see what worked and didn't work for mr. I have been wanting to read Mejia since I saw her cover of Everything You Want Me to Be, and seen it on so many lists. Mejia's writing is wel
Ethan
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
"People killed for money. People died for it. Love could hurt, but money would strike you down forever. "

I've been a fan of author Mindy Mejia since reading her novel Everything You Want Me To Be. Her way with characters, masterful plotting, and ability to tackle a variety of genres (see last year's Leave No Trace for something completely different) reveals her to be one of the most versatile authors of popular fiction working today. Naturally, I was thrilled to accept an offer from her publishe
Rebecca Lyman
I was provided a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest and fair review.

I have read other books by this author in the past and have always enjoyed them. And I have to say – this book was pretty perfect for me since it’s about a CPA! And there are a couple funny anecdotes included that made me giggle (included below). This was a solid mystery, it had me guessing pretty much right up to the end. I thought there was going to be more of a “reveal” so there was a small disappointment when
Rachel
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Strike Enterprises has hired forensic accountant, Nora Trier to find out what happened to the 20 million dollar prize money for their upcoming tournament. Strike is owned by husband and wife team, Gregg Abbott and Logan Russo (a famous kick boxer). Nora has connections to both individuals, but feels she can take on this job and remain professional. As Nora searches for answers, she uncovers secrets about this couple and doesn’t know who, if anyone, can be trusted.

I hadn’t read anything by Mindy
Alysia
Apr 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Forensic accountant, Nora Trier has just been handed one of the biggest cases in her career. Strike, a major kickboxing company, has hired Nora’s firm to investigate the disappearance of over 20 million dollars in prize money for their highly anticipated tournament. But what will happen when Nora discovers she has her own secret connection to Strike?

Strike Me Down by Mindy Mejia was such a page turner for me! I knew absolutely nothing about forensic accounting before reading this (didn’t even k

• Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1)
  • The Vine Witch (Vine Witch, #1)
  • Sin Eater
  • Get a Life, Chloe Brown (The Brown Sisters, #1)
  • A Warning
  • Bloody Genius (Virgil Flowers, #12)
  • The Untethered Soul: The Journey Beyond Yourself
  • Full Throttle
  • The God Game
  • The Perfect Mother
  • The Other Wife
  • I'd Give Anything (Love Walked In, #4)
  • The Neighbour
  • Big Lies in a Small Town
  • Room to Breathe
  • Beijing Payback
  • Paris Never Leaves You
  • The Empty Bed (The Burial Society, #2)
See top shelves…
My name is Mindy Mejia and I’m a writer. I write because, ever since I was six years old, my favorite game has been pretend. My life doesn't have symmetry, theme, symbolism, or meditated beauty and I gravitate toward these things like a houseplant to the sun. I love the perfect words; I love how 'fierce' and 'confounded' and 'swagger' look on the page and how my chest expands when I read them. I w ...more