Start by marking “The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded” as Want to Read:
The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded

The Sins of the Father: Joseph P. Kennedy and the Dynasty He Founded

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  304 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
In this new personal history--the first serious volume focusing exclusively on Joseph Patrick Kennedy in 30 years--Ronald Kessler recreates the life and times of this ambitious, powerful, masterfully manipulative man. Utilizing extensive research and interviews with Kennedy family members and their intimates, speaking on record for the first time, Kessler reveals stunning ...more
Mass Market, 10 pages
Published March 1st 1997 by Warner Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Sins of the Father, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sins of the Father

James
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: life-in-amerika
This was a book I couldn't put down,
it's amazing how clever he was in bribing and manipulating journalists into presenting "the news" as he wanted.
All his life he had "news men" feed lies to the American public.

I just read THE DARK INSIDE, which is about the big con in the early 20th century. Joe K was the better than any of them!
What a piece of work!

What irony, that after he succeeded in getting a son elected president,
11 months later he has a stroke that leaves him unable to speak.

He liv
Gerry Claes
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Over the past few years I have read a number of books about WWII and they mentioned Joe Kennedy as ambassador to England during the start of the war. Ole Joe did not get high praise in any of the books. So I decided to read a book about his life and this is the one I chose for better or worse.

I don't think there is any doubt about it; Joe Kennedy was a scoundrel, a philanderer, a manipulator and overall was not a very nice person. Joe was always looking out for himself first, his family second a
Nancy
Mar 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book was a good. It exposes Joseph Kennedy for the disgusting womanizing crook he was but that isn't the surprise. What was surprising in this book was how PRO-NAZI Joe Kennedy was and the iron-fisted control he had on his children even when they were adults.

The book is well written, the research is excellent, direct quotes and first hand accounts from the people who were there and knew Joe Kennedy, including but not limited to Gloria Swanson, Roosevelt and Hoover. You'll understand the Ke
Eric Bjerke
Jun 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: History lovers
Shelves: biography
A very unflattering portrayal of the Kennedy's. Dad was a power-hungry meglomaniac living his life vicariously through his sons. Very interesting. I didn't think I could think any worse of this family that has plagued America for far too long, but I did after reading this book.
Wesley Fiorentino
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Beth Bedee
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you're a Kennedy fanatic, this is a must read. This book shows how Joe Kennedy built his dynasty.
Emily Curley
Feb 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Interesting look into the Kennedy family to separate the political spin machine from the reality of the family's less than storied past and rise to fame.
Alh
Jul 22, 2010 added it
excellent and insightful
Lindsay
Oct 31, 2012 rated it liked it
This was a well researched and though provoking book. However, I felt that too much of the book focused on Joe's political shenanigans and not enough on why he made the decisions he did. I would have liked to hear more about his relationship with this family. Then again his political shenanigans were quite legendary Haig and Haig pinch anyone?
Paul
Apr 12, 2015 rated it liked it
A very interesting story showing the drive and ruthlessness Joe Kennedy had to make sure he and his children succeeded. It forces you to question the golden reputation of Camelot and the Kennedy's. There was a feeling of gossip and pettiness in this story but the information does seem to be backed up.
Curt Rude
May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Got me wondering on just how America selects its heroes. This is s sinister read of money driven greed trumping all.
Cindy
Oct 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very intersting look at the Kennedy dynasty. Founded on lies, deceit, corruption and a connection to the mafia.
Karen
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating history of the Kennedy family, especially father Joe and son JFK. For those interested in American history and politics, this is a must read.
Cindy
Jun 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Very interesting. A little slow at first then hard to put down. I was very surprised by what this book had to say.
Jeff
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Freaking amazing!! Instead of going to prison he was made the head of the SEC. Only in America.
Chris
Dec 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gotta stop reading about these people- corruption personified- the book went back to his early days and thru the White House- there are those with different rules or so they think
Jaclynn
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very informative and disturbing look at the Kennedy family.
Marie
Sep 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me months to finish this book, but I enjoyed every page. It was a fascinating insight into one of the great American dynasties.
Penelope Swan
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I never paid much attention to politics. I expected those voted into office to give the country what we need. The mess we are in; the inept that have become the leaders of my beloved country has made me understand that I have spent my life blowing smoke up my political nose. This is one of the many books that is bringing me slowly up thru how we got into this mess while most of us were off doing our own thing, blissfully confident that fine fellows were taking care of the business of government.
James Digate
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a real eye opener. This man, Joe Kennedy, was a poster boy for greed and control.
After you read this book, you will have a different view of the Kennedy family - a much more down to earth view. This book takes you on a strange adventure to the real life of the Kennedy’s, it’s not what you have been led to believe.
Extremely well written and easy to read. The author did a great job writing this book.
Excellent- highly recommend.
Donna Marshall Attinello
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very engaging. Learned a lot! Just do not like the title!
Amy Cuff
Theresa Swain-Frederick
Mar 15, 2015
  • Jack: A Life Like No Other
  • Jackie After Jack: Portrait of the Lady
  • The Men We Became: My Friendship with John F. Kennedy, Jr.
  • RFK: A Candid Biography of Robert F. Kennedy
  • A Lady, First: My Life in the Kennedy White House and the American Embassies of Paris and Rome
  • John F. Kennedy: In His Own Words
  • Dear Mrs. Kennedy: The World Shares Its Grief, Letters November 1963
  • After Camelot: A Personal History of the Kennedy Family--1968 to the Present
  • The Other Mrs. Kennedy: An intimate and revealing look at the hidden life of Ethel Skakel Kennedy
  • Sons of Camelot: The Fate of an American Dynasty
  • The Other Man: John F. Kennedy Jr., Carolyn Bessette, and Me
  • President Kennedy: Profile of Power
  • Mrs. Paine's Garage and the Murder of John F. Kennedy
  • Curveball: Spies, Lies, and the Man Behind Them: How America Went to War in Iraq
  • Jacqueline Bouvier Kennedy Onassis: A Life