Start by marking “The Paper Girl of Paris” as Want to Read:
The Paper Girl of Paris

The Paper Girl of Paris

Now:
Sixteen-year-old Alice is spending the summer in Paris, but she isn’t there for pastries and walks along the Seine. When her grandmother passed away two months ago, she left Alice an apartment in France that no one knew existed. An apartment that has been locked for more than seventy years.

Alice is determined to find out why the apartment was abandoned and why her gran
Published May 26th 2020 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about The Paper Girl of Paris, please sign up.
Josie Yes, there are intense war crimes, so if that's triggering to you, then I recommend being cautious going into this one.…moreYes, there are intense war crimes, so if that's triggering to you, then I recommend being cautious going into this one.(less)

Start your review of The Paper Girl of Paris
Tatiana
Jun 28, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: book-club, ya, historical, 2021
Nothing for me here.

I feel kind of resentful of the fact that YA writers think that the only way to present info about a historical event to American teens is by wrapping it into not one, but two vapid teen romances. Also "world-building" that consists of mentioning croissants and champagne a lot (there is also a beret) isn't all that. This is not "Emily in Paris."

There is a little bit of historical context that can introduce uninitiated to the existence of French resistance during WW2, but ove
Zoë ☆
This was SUCH a heavy book to read, but also super interesting! It tells the story of the people who were brave enough to resist the Germans during the Second World War, and it was honestly so impactful and eye-opening.

Set in Paris, this story is about Alice who has recently lost her grandmother. And in her will, her grandmother wanted Alice to have her apartment in Paris, which up until then their family new nothing about. When they go to look in the apartment, they come to realise it hasn't be
Ilhaam
Jun 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-arcs
“Did you make it here okay?
The trains ran smoothly, Luc.
The trains ran smoothly.”

I just sobbed half the life out of my body.
This book was incredible. I will admit that in the beginning I was a little hesitant, which is why it took me so long to finish, but then when I got into it I was into it .

It was a really unique experience to have Adalyn’s POV and Alice’s where they ran parallel to each other and I honestly had a really good time making all the connections. Okay wait no that’s a lie.
Amanda Belcher
May 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
This one is probably about a 3.5 for me but I rounded up because the ending was satisfying and improved upon some of the things I wasn't a fan of throughout the earlier parts of the book (mainly the portrayal of Alice's mother's mental health).

The Paper Girl of Paris is a blend of historical fiction and a present-day narrative as Alice tries to find out more about her family, specifically her great aunt Adalyn, after she inherits her grandmother's family home in Pairs, perfectly preserved and u
ReadAlongWithSue [Catching-Up]
A remarkable book told from two points of view.

One from the Granddaughter and one from the Grandmothers sister.

It’s about getting to know her Grandmother as a person and what unfolds.
Catherine Hawthorn
Dec 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
My best friend/adopted sis got me this book for Christmas this year. And I INHALED it in one sitting.
I must say that I figured out the plot fairly quickly, though there were a couple of twists that got me (LUC). But that's because I am a public history grad student who engrosses herself, among other time periods, in World War II. Kudos to the author for doing a good job of her historical research - the wartime France sections were truly alive.
The dual storylines were lined up perfectly to reve
Alexa
Apr 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, but I’m comfortable rounding up for the feels this one gave me. I appreciated many aspects of this story: the multiple timelines and narratives, the Paris setting, the uncovering of a part of history I don’t know all that much about and the way it was made more personal.
clara [inactive account]
*4.99999999 bc i'm picky

we're loving that i've read not one but TWO five star books in less than a month. legitimately VIBES.

yes indeed we love to see it. first the kingdom of back, and now this? ladies and gentlemen, this is what it feels like to live in paradise. anyways. the feelings i have for this book are- real.

exciting... funny... poetical... heartbreaking... like very VERY aesthetic... this book has all i need. love and happy emotions! i just honest-to-god enjoyed reading this! it all c
Lindsey (Bring My Books)
This is a title where the topic of intended audience is so important - as an adult reader, I found myself unable to really get into the story, but I think as a younger reader I would have loved this.

It gives a lot for a reader to research and discover, and the journey that Alice and her new Parisian friend take to find out more about her grandmother was really interesting. In a perfect world, I would have loved to have way more of the past storyline, because I think that's where this book reall
Claude's Bookzone
2.5 Stars

CW: (view spoiler)

This WWII story is about Alice trying to uncover the mystery of why her grandmother left her an apartment in France in her will. She has uncovered the journal of Adalyn (her great-aunt) and tries to piece together why the apartment was abandoned after the war. The story is told in alternating narrative between Alice and Adalyn. I enjoyed Adalyn's voice more as her actions drove the plo
BookNightOwl
Jul 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This story is about a girl who's grandma passes away and finds out she was left with an apartment in paris. This apartment has been locked up for over 75 years and Alice wants to know why? Alice meets Paul who begins helping Alice uncover the secrets that the apartment holds. ...more
Sara L.
Feb 14, 2021 rated it liked it
Wonderful 😊

PLOT-

Alice arrives in Paris with her parents and a key to the apartment that she inherited from her grandmother. Chalking up her mother’s morose state to her grief, Alice explores the apartment and city without her parents. Like a time capsule that had been sealed away for the last seventy years, she discovers a diary that offers up more questions than answers about her family’s history.

This book is told in alternating narratives between present-day Alice and Adalyn in 1940s Paris, wh
Vee_Bookish
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read, best-of-2021
Wordpress Blog | Twitter

Sometimes I will read a book's blurb and just know that it will be a five star read, and this was one of those books. A dual POV told from the present day and past France during the Nazi occupation, this story reminded me of Jennifer Donnelly's Revolution. The thrill of first romance for both girls and the looming knowledge of the war just served to up the ante.

I loved the dual POV from Alice, who inherits her Grandmother's apartment in France, and Adalyn, who becomes par
Cosmic Butterfly
Nov 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Loved this so much. Highly recommend
buzz
Jul 05, 2022 rated it did not like it
it appears to be sweet but it is weak and underdeveloped, i found the characters painfully shallow and thought that heavy matters were handled quite carelessly and with little to no effort
Ingrid
Mar 27, 2022 rated it liked it
I'm having a hard time to properly rate this book. It was beautiful, without a doubt. But I expected even more of it? I loved LOVED Adaline's storyline, it was so empowering, beautiful, intense and sad to read. Alice was just an okay character for me. I felt like the romance was unnecessary in one of the storylines. Overall, this was a solid story.
Kalyn✨
Dec 30, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2021
I really enjoyed this book! The ending wasn’t what I was expecting which came as a surprise (I had a conspiracy plot going in my head 😅) and I thought the pacing was fantastic. The only thing I could’ve done without was the mental health subplot just because I hate seeing children being made to feel responsible for an adult’s mental well-being.

Overall- very decent read. I recommend :-)
Jenna Marie ~Scheming Scribbler~
When Alice arrived in Paris to see the apartment her now deceased grandmother, Chloe, left to her, Alice thought she knew all about her grandmother. The moment she steps into the apartment that may as well be a museum from WWII, though, Alice is faced with a world of hidden truths about her grandmother's childhood.

Alice always thought her grandmother was an only child; that is, until she finds a room across from her grandmother's, and a diary that arises more questions than she has answers for.
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This was such a sweet, inspiring story! It starts with a young woman inheriting her grandmother's apartment (and apparently, her secrets!) in Paris, and weaves through an incredible tale about standing up against an oppressive regime (1940s) and finding out who you are, where you came from, and just generally speaking up for yourself (present).

Alice's story is sweet, and I enjoyed watch
Caden
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
5/5 Stars!

Trigger Warning for Depression

I absolutely loved this book. I am a huge fan of historical fiction and historical romance, so I immediately knew that I was going to like this book from the moment I read the synopsis. However, I was not expecting to love it as much as I do. I rarely cry when I read books, and this book made me ugly cry.

Jordyn Taylor's writing is simple, yet beautiful. She constructed this book so well and made characters that were flawed yet lovable. This book is so p
rose ★
Oct 31, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library, 2020-reads
this made me miss paris so hard.

(sadly, it also triggered some pretty bad memories but we’re just going to pretend like that didn’t happen)
Nicole N. (A Myriad of Books)
Actual rating: 3.5 stars

Content warnings: PTSD, depression, anti-Semitism

I saw this book come up randomly on my Twitter, and I was instantly intrigued by the synopsis and the cover. I wasn't quite sure where this book was going to take me, but it's a wonderful historical fiction novel that centers around a young French women who works for a resistance group in Nazi-occupied Germany and her great-niece 70 years later.

The author's writing style is simple, but the story weaved throughout the wo
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Alice and her parents are in Paris. Alice's grandmother has passed away, and she has left an apartment in Paris to Alice. The apartment has been abandoned since WWII. Why? And why did her grandmother never speak of the apartment or her life before she came to live in America? Alice discovers photos in the apartment and learns that her grandmother had a sister, Adalyn, who was never mentioned.

The story alternates between the present time and the time of the Nazi occupation in France, between Alic
Ellie
Oct 04, 2020 marked it as dnf
Wanted to like this! Made it 25% through and just couldn’t do it....maybe I’ll try again later!
Elyse (ElyseReadsandSpeaks)
Jul 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
I devoured this. It was one of those that sucked me in from the beginning and wouldn't let go. I'm a sucker for World War II-themed books and this one definitely did not disappoint.

I think what I liked most about this book is that it focused on a girl and her grand aunt that she had never heard of. I was thinking that I'd be reading about a girl who discovered her own grandmother's diary, but this step further in familial relation actually enriched the story for me. Alice knew just as much about
Caroline Speidel
Jun 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, although it did get just a little cheesy at some points - but hey, we love that. I thought the whole untouched apartment thing was very cool, and I found Alice and Adalyn (a new favorite name) to be very endearing. Also the setting was so so cool, Alice just wandered around Paris and went into cafes and bakeries and bookshops and I most definitely want to go to Paris very soon. I thought it was important that the author included a character who struggled with mental hea ...more
Delia
Mar 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
The perfect mix of melancholy - full of both sad and happy tears, The paper girl of Paris is a beautiful, simple story of three generations of women who each have gone through hardships, learning to love, trust and share. While the writing is easy to read, it does not take away from the depth of the story, and I enjoyed every moment of it, including the romance - thankfully not a center piece - which was delightfully written and full of bright moments amidst the darkness.
Keegan McMenamin
Jun 26, 2022 rated it really liked it
A pretty basic love/historical fiction/mystery book, but one that I quite enjoyed. I am a sucker for WW2-era fiction. I would probably recommend this book to most people for a fun easy read.
Grace Manderfeld
Jul 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE THIS BOOK!!! The Paper Girl of Paris is an awesome book for anyone who loves excitement, romance, mystery, history, and PARIS! A plot is the hardest thing to write but in this book everything came together perfectly. If you want to be living in another world while your reading this is soooo great for that. Honestly this is my new favorite book and I 100% recommend it.
Ink&Paper
Oct 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Whenever I think about Paris, I get all dreamy eyed and think about Étienne, and the Eiffel Tower. Going into this book, I thought that it would be a delightful narrative set in The City Of Lights.
But I couldn't be more mistaken . This is not your usual YA Contemporary, it is the perfect crossover between the young adult genre and historical fiction.

1940, France

Adalyn, a teenager, who has a seemingly easy life. Going to school, being good with her parents, she's the most obedient and perfect d
Volusia County Pu...: The Paper Girl of Paris 1 7 Feb 01, 2022 09:23AM
Historical Fictio...: November BOTM: The Paper Girl of Paris 9 30 Nov 23, 2021 04:14PM
Never Enough Books: JUNE 2021 1 6 May 26, 2021 10:02AM
Find A Lovely Boo...: December Book Club Pick 1 3 Dec 09, 2020 07:18AM

• House of Salt and Sorrows
  • Thanks for the Trouble
  • The Grace Year
  • The Female of the Species
  • Laura Dean Keeps Breaking Up with Me
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Uncanny Valley: A Memoir
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • Gravemaidens (Gravemaidens, #1)
  • Places No One Knows
  • Indian No More
  • The Surface Breaks
  • Die unsichtbare Stadt (Das Herz der Zeit, #1)
  • Le Manuscrit inachevé
  • All the Things We Do in the Dark
  • Have a Little Faith in Me
  • Dangerous Alliance: An Austentacious Romance
  • Guts (Smile, #3)
War
See top shelves…
Jordyn Taylor is a New York City–based writer and journalist, currently the deputy editor at Men’s Health magazine; her work has appeared in the New York Observer, Mic, and Glamour.com.

Articles featuring this book

“Life is so weird. Just when you think you understand something, you realize it’s way more complicated than you ever could have imagined.” 2 likes
“In this upside-down world, we anchor each other to the ground.” 2 likes