Start by marking “Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)

Reaper of Souls

(Kingdom of Souls #2)

After so many years yearning for the gift of magic, Arrah has the one thing she’s always wanted—at a terrible price. Now the last surviving witchdoctor, she’s been left to pick up the shattered pieces of a family that betrayed her, a kingdom in shambles, and long-buried secrets about who she is.

Desperate not to repeat her mother’s mistakes, Arrah must return to the tribal
Published February 18th 2021 by HarperTeen (first published February 16th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper of Souls, please sign up.
Rena Barron The book with the golden serpent was the UK edition for Kingdom of Souls! We'll be revealing the Reaper of Souls UK cover on Nov. 25, 2020. I can't gi…moreThe book with the golden serpent was the UK edition for Kingdom of Souls! We'll be revealing the Reaper of Souls UK cover on Nov. 25, 2020. I can't give away any hints to the details of the cover yet! :-) (less)

Start your review of Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)
Rena Barron
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A prince repelled by magic. A king bent on revenge. A witchdoctor who does not walk alone.

I am super unbiased, and I think this book is pretty good. :-)

Visit the Kingdom of Souls website for quizzes, book club questions, and other fun goodies.

Check out the Kingdom of Souls Universe Guide for definitions of terms used in the book.

REAPER OF SOULS - US COVER
Reaper of Souls US cover

REAPER OF SOULS - UK COVER
Reaper of Souls UK cover
Alexandra Elend Wolf
After the incredibly cardiac ending that we had in Kingdom of Souls I can't wait to get my hands into this sequel... I suffer that I have to wait until next year.

I have so many hopes for that glorious love triangle that I can't even begin to express them. Especially because I haven't been excited about a love triangle in a long long time. And I need more information on Daho.

The only thing that bothers me about this book is the cover... I'm not a fan of this style of covers. Hopefully, ano
Ms. Woc Reader
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I love about this series is that the world is lush. I love when a fantasy paints a clear picture of it's setting. I think one of Rena Barron's strengths is creating the atmosphere with food, clothes, the hustle of the market place. The magic system is well thought out and it's fascinating reading about how it formed. It's not oversimplified nor overly complex.

This time the story splits the narrative between Arrah and Rudjek's POV's with flashback's that give the orisha Dimma's memorie
Chad
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it
A solid continuation of the series. Arrah and Rudjek are both dealing with the powers they came into in the last book and how they repel each other when all they want is to to be together. Both of them swiftly go off on their own missions to deal with the fallout of the last book and the Demon King's plans. There's a lot here dealing with reincarnation, past memories, and possession, all of which I don't find that interesting. Those types of stories have become very cliche at this point. Still t ...more
christina
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to christina by: fans of Strange the Dreamer
I received an ARC from the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Kingdom of Souls Universe Guide

I was really anticipating this sequel, after book 1's climatic ending. However, I was disappointed that Arrah resorted back to questioning her self worth, decisions, and whether or not she should even have magic for the entirety of this book. I was expecting Arrah to rise like a phoenix after the end of book 1 and be this bad ass with a new exciting love interest, similar to A Court
Umairah | Sereadipity
Jan 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
I'm still not sure whether to rate it 3.5 or 4 stars but overall I liked it and found the plot interesting, but it wasn't as brilliant as the first book. (full review to come)

Thank you to the publisher for providing me with a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

This sequel picks right up from where Kingdom of Souls left off. The battle ended, and the war is still raging though war always comes with a price. Arrah is trying to save Sukar from his wounds, some at her own hand. Essnai is supporting Arrah, while Rudjek is at the mercy of his father’s politics and doing everything in his own power to protect Arrah. (To be fair though Rudjek really is too strong and stubborn to be at anyone’s ‘mercy’)

The book is seriou
Eilidh
”Once there was a broken boy who fell from the sky, and a goddess, both terrifying and terrifyingly beautiful, saved him from certain death. The goddess had eyes the color of night pearls and a heart bigger than the entirety of the world.”

Picking up immediately after the events of Kingdom of Souls, we follow Arrah and her friends search the tribe lands for any chance of survivors from the massacre in Kingdom of Souls. Meanwhile Rudjek navigates his newfound abilities and his power hungry father.
S. Naomi Scott
DISCLAIMER : I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher in return for an honest and unbiased review. My thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for allowing the opportunity to read and review this book.

It's at least as good as the first one, with the same mix of light and dark in the narrative. A full review will come shortly but suffice to say it's a strong four out of five stars.
Kai (CuriousCompass)
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
considering the first book has two different covers and they're both beautiful but so different, i wonder which art direction they'll keep for this book... >.> ...more
May
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Once again I’m in awe of Rena Barron’s writing and talent for storytelling!!!

Let me start by saying this series is dark and exactly the type of fantasy that I love because you know what?! Nobody is pure and good in their core, everyone has some dark in them and nothing is sunshine or happy ever after!
There’s got to be casualties, that’s realistic because we wanna feel something when we read don’t we?
The story is so amazingly written and has such fantastic twists that’ll blow your mind. And the
2TReads
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read a lot. Barron has thrown in twists and revelations that definitely get a reaction.

"We tell ourselves what we need to hear to survive another day." -Tyrek

The threads of Barron's world are being woven tighter in #reaperofsouls as we see the ramifications of the fallout and the moves being put in place to either seize control, uncover the truth, or form a coalition to face what is coming.

Barron is committed to steadily building upon her world, further fleshing out her establis
Danielle
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rena said, "f*ck your second book slump," let's go!

REAPER OF SOULS starts off immediately following the exciting (and violent) events of Book 1, KINGDOM OF SOULS. Arrah and her friends must deal with the consequences of her mother and sister's actions. At the same time, Arrah and Rudjek are encountering more and more obstacles to their relationship. Not to mention, an extra love interest of two. 👀

There are twists, there are turns, there are meddling gods - and a Demon King determined to have his
Stephenie
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Reaper picks up weeks after Kingdom of Souls. Like the first novel, the world is atmospherically dark, wicked and foreboding. While the tone is dark, there's plenty of comedic relief to break up the tension. At this point, I'm completely invested in Arrah, Rudjek and their world. They must be protected at all costs. Don't even get me started on the romance(s). Which, I also want to point out, some readers may not like the love triangle, but there's so much more to it. Clearly, Barron like to pla ...more
Jacob Rundle
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rena has done it again!!!! REAPER OF SOULS was EVERYTHING I desire in a sequel!!!! The characters’ development was SO REALISTIC AND SO WELL WRITTEN!!!! The story pulled me right in. I highly recommend this one to everyone!!!!!
Simant Verma
Jun 18, 2020 marked it as 2021-releases
June 18th, 2020: The cover of the sequel of Kingdom of Souls is here and OH.MY.GOD. So beautiful! Gorgeous! such a perfect contrast to the previous book and how beautiful they look together.

Reaper of Souls and Kingdom of Souls

Artist: Adeyemi Adegbesan
Cover Designer: Jenna Stempel-Lobell
Jo
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reaper of Souls sees our return to the lush, vibrant, and dangerous world that Rena Barron has masterfully constructed in her debut Kingdom of Souls. After years of yearning for magic, Arrah finally attains the one thing she's wanted - but she too discovers that it came at too steep a price. Still reeling from the devastating events in Kingdom of Souls, Arrah is left to shoulder the weight of a legacy, shattered relationships, a kingdom plunged into chaos, and a love so ill-fated. True to the re ...more
Layla
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was granted an eARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Slow to start and then barreling straight into adventure, heartbreak and deception.

I adored Kingdom of Souls so much and it's sequel does not disappoint. Rich with it's history coupled with a plan eons in the making, it takes the reader further into the world that Arrah lives in and the past that has forged their present.

Prepare yourselves for twists and turns, epic battles and heart wrenching moments.
Holly Hughes
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: did-not-finish
”This war will go on forever if we don’t do anything to stop it.”

A solid successor and continuation of the series. There were a few moments that fell prey to second book syndrome, but on the whole the characters and world-building are fantastic. And those final chapters? DAMN. The final book is going to be one hell of a ride.

I also loved that they brought back the same narrator from the first book, because she is excellent!!
Geena
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I am obsessed.... I am losing my mind.... the number of twists and turns..... had me screaming!!!

It started off slow not gonna lie, but once it picked up speed it did NOT stop and I have so many conflicted feelings... ESPECIALLY THE END......
 Vanessa  B. ☽♡
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, netgalley
ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Review to come
USOM
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Reaper of Souls is a story about the fate of the world they live in, but at the same time it's a story about love. Fluid and descriptive, Reaper of Souls has some fantastic writing twists that made me pause. Full of a love that would tear them apart, Arrah and Rudjeck face a love that repeals each other, one that could unmake them. But can they overcome it together despite the od
Inkslinger
Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls Book 2) by Rena Barron

ARC provided by HarperTeen/HarperCollins and Rena Barron via Edelweiss+. All opinions are mine and freely given.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | BookBub

02-15: 'Reaper of Souls' is book two in the Kingdom of Souls trilogy by Rena Barron. A series already optioned for film by Michael B. Jordan's production company, it traverses multiple worlds and is inspired by tales of voodoo and folk magic. Even the first like of the blurb is full of intrigue.

"A prince repelled by magic. A king
Maria
Feb 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Darkling+Alina shippers
This is a BAD book.

I staunchly believes that in SFF trilogies, second books are the baddest books, the most painful books because at the end of it, you find yourself at the dark night of the soul part. Favorite characters die, favorite characters get imprisoned or lose things that are important to them, or just get plain bitch slapped in the face.

Therefore, REAPER OF SOULS is a BAD book.

As I raced across the last pages of this BAD book, I kept mumbling What the fuck what the fuck what the fuck.
Athena
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-fantasy
WOW!!!!!!!! 😍 😍 😍 😍 (I still don't know if my brain can form coherent sentences, but here it goes.)

The publisher kindly offered me a reader copy via NetGalley. Yet, this is an honest review of the book expressing my own opinion.

If I had to sum up this book in a phrase, it would be, Oh, Arrah. It's not easy being Arrah. Not when she doesn't have what she wants, and not when she has it, either. This girl has the burden of the world on her shoulders, and a huge crisis to solve--a crisis her family
S.J. Higbee
Feb 20, 2021 rated it really liked it
I found that the first book quickly came to mind as I began reading this one, and Barron adroitly slides in useful reminders of previous events. However, I would strongly advise that you go hunting for Kingdom of Souls before reading this one. Far too much happens in that first book which directly impacts on events in this one for you to be able to get the most out of Reaper of Souls if you haven’t read it.

Arrah continues to be a sympathetic protagonist as she now finds that trying to put togeth
Kamila Komisarek
Jan 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"What I've done is unforgivable. I am no better than Arti or Efiya. I'm something worse."

"Reaper of Souls" is the second book in a "Kingdom of Souls" series by Rena Barron. After the disastrous conflict with her sister Efiya, Arrah is left as the last living witch doctor. Driven by guilt, she returns to her hometown to discover she is treated either as a dangerous freak or the chosen prophet of Orishas (gods). To make things worse, she can't even touch the boy she loves, as their powers continu
Bay
Ok before I start less be honest the demon king isn't really the villain here. And I know that some people are going to say that I am very wrong but hear me out. If the Orishas were never so selfish,lazy,know it all, and bossy then none of this would have ever happened. There would know war or bloodshed. All they needed to do was raise the nameless Oridha like she was a CHILD AND NOT A DOG OR TOY. But NOOO that had to leave a basically 3 year old who doesn't know anything about anything. They ex ...more
Anna Tan
Jan 06, 2021 rated it really liked it
Arrah has magic now, the only one who does. She's the last witchdoctor. She carries the voices of the chieftains and the burden of the murdered tribes. But what if some of them survived? She needs to visit the tribal lands, to try to find them - in hopes that they can help stop the Demon King's impending return. Add politics into that mix, with the acting Almighty One doing all he can to stay in power, and you have a mind-blowing fantasy epic.

Okay, I jumped into this one without rereading the Ki
yorkshirebooknerd
“I AM POWER.
I AM MY ANCESTORS.
I DO NOT WALK ALONE.

After so many years yearning for the gift of magic, Arrah has the one thing she’s always wanted – but it came at too steep a price. Now the last surviving witchdoctor, she’s been left to pick up the shattered pieces of a family that betrayed her, a kingdom plunged into chaos, and a love that can never be.”

After the explosive ending of book one, I was excited to read Reaper of Souls to see what the repercussions would be...

Arrah is back in the tri
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Gilded Ones (Deathless, #1)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • The Ravens (The Ravens, #1)
  • The Galaxy, and the Ground Within (Wayfarers, #4)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Winter's Orbit
  • The Last Finestra (The Last Finestra, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Silvered Serpents (The Gilded Wolves, #2)
  • The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
  • All the Tides of Fate (All the Stars and Teeth, #2)
  • Raybearer (Raybearer, #1)
  • Amari and the Night Brothers (Supernatural Investigations, #1)
  • Master of One
Rena Barron grew up in small-town Alabama where stories of magic and adventure sparked her imagination. After penning her first awful poem in middle school, she graduated to writing short stories and novels by high school. Rena loves all things science fiction, ghosts, and superheroes. She’s a self-proclaimed space nerd. When she’s not writing, she can be found reading or brushing up on her French ...more

Kingdom of Souls (3 books)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Untitled (Kingdom of Souls, #3)