Start by marking “Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)” as Want to Read:
Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)

Reaper of Souls

(Kingdom of Souls #2)

After so many years yearning for the gift of magic, Arrah has the one thing she’s always wanted—at a terrible price. Now the last surviving witchdoctor, she’s been left to pick up the shattered pieces of a family that betrayed her, a kingdom in shambles, and long-buried secrets about who she is.

Desperate not to repeat her mother’s mistakes, Arrah must return to the tribal
Published February 18th 2021 by HarperTeen (first published February 16th 2021)

To ask other readers questions about Reaper of Souls, please sign up.
Rena Barron The book with the golden serpent was the UK edition for Kingdom of Souls! We'll be revealing the Reaper of Souls UK cover on Nov. 25, 2020. I can't gi…moreThe book with the golden serpent was the UK edition for Kingdom of Souls! We'll be revealing the Reaper of Souls UK cover on Nov. 25, 2020. I can't give away any hints to the details of the cover yet! :-) (less)

Start your review of Reaper of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #2)
Rena Barron
Nov 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
A prince repelled by magic. A king bent on revenge. A witchdoctor who does not walk alone.

I am super unbiased, and I think this book is pretty good. :-)

Visit the Kingdom of Souls website for quizzes, book club questions, and other fun goodies.

Check out the Kingdom of Souls Universe Guide for definitions of terms used in the book.

REAPER OF SOULS - US COVER
Reaper of Souls US cover

REAPER OF SOULS - UK COVER
Reaper of Souls UK cover
Alexandra Elend Wolf
After the incredibly cardiac ending that we had in Kingdom of Souls I can't wait to get my hands into this sequel... I suffer that I have to wait until next year.

I have so many hopes for that glorious love triangle that I can't even begin to express them. Especially because I haven't been excited about a love triangle in a long long time. And I need more information on Daho.

The only thing that bothers me about this book is the cover... I'm not a fan of this style of covers. Hopefully, ano
Umairah | Sereadipity
I was so excited to read Reaper of Souls as I was completely enthralled by the first book in the trilogy. I have to admit, while the book had a lot of strong points, it didn't fully live up to my expectations and pales in comparison to Kingdom of Souls. I think my problem is that objectively it is exactly the sort of interesting, twisty book that I usually love but it just failed to engage me and all the aspects of the first book that I loved weren't as compelling to me in this one.

Plot: 3/5
Char
Ms. Woc Reader
Feb 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One thing I love about this series is that the world is lush. I love when a fantasy paints a clear picture of it's setting. I think one of Rena Barron's strengths is creating the atmosphere with food, clothes, the hustle of the market place. The magic system is well thought out and it's fascinating reading about how it formed. It's not oversimplified nor overly complex.

This time the story splits the narrative between Arrah and Rudjek's POV's with flashback's that give the orisha Dimma's memorie
Chad
Feb 28, 2021 rated it liked it
A solid continuation of the series. Arrah and Rudjek are both dealing with the powers they came into in the last book and how they repel each other when all they want is to to be together. Both of them swiftly go off on their own missions to deal with the fallout of the last book and the Demon King's plans. There's a lot here dealing with reincarnation, past memories, and possession, all of which I don't find that interesting. Those types of stories have become very cliche at this point. Still t ...more
Pia
May 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
"Hope is daunting in the face of desperation, yet I cling to it, no matter how withered and how small."

(If my partner does not go to the lengths Daho goes to for me, I do not want it.)

This book did not disappoint. Wow is the only thing I am feeling right now. Rena Barron took the criticism of the previous book about the slow pacing and made me hold on for dear life with this because the plot was moving, twists and turns were made, and I had to speed through the book to know what will happen.

The
christina
Nov 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Recommended to christina by: fans of Strange the Dreamer
I received an ARC from the author via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review

Kingdom of Souls Universe Guide

I was really anticipating this sequel, after book 1's climatic ending. However, I was disappointed that Arrah resorted back to questioning her self worth, decisions, and whether or not she should even have magic for the entirety of this book. I was expecting Arrah to rise like a phoenix after the end of book 1 and be this bad ass with a new exciting love interest, similar to A Court
Amber
May 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2021, fantasy
I would very much like the next book now please.
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

This sequel picks right up from where Kingdom of Souls left off. The battle ended, and the war is still raging though war always comes with a price. Arrah is trying to save Sukar from his wounds, some at her own hand. Essnai is supporting Arrah, while Rudjek is at the mercy of his father’s politics and doing everything in his own power to protect Arrah. (To be fair though Rudjek really is too strong and stubborn to be at anyone’s ‘mercy’)

The book is seriou
Eilidh
”Once there was a broken boy who fell from the sky, and a goddess, both terrifying and terrifyingly beautiful, saved him from certain death. The goddess had eyes the color of night pearls and a heart bigger than the entirety of the world.”

Picking up immediately after the events of Kingdom of Souls, we follow Arrah and her friends search the tribe lands for any chance of survivors from the massacre in Kingdom of Souls. Meanwhile Rudjek navigates his newfound abilities and his power hungry father.
K.S. Marsden
May 19, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Stopping her mother and sister from releasing the demon king was only the start. Arrah and Rudjek have to act fast to stop a war.

I received a free copy from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Arrah returns from saving the Kingdom from her mother and sister's demon army, but no one sees her as a hero. People are scared of her, terrified of what her limitless power will do.
Arrah doesn't have time to dwell on this. She discovers that one of the other tribes may have survived the slaughter,
S. Naomi Scott
DISCLAIMER : I received an advanced reading copy from the publisher in return for an honest and unbiased review. My thanks to NetGalley and HarperCollins UK for allowing the opportunity to read and review this book.

It's at least as good as the first one, with the same mix of light and dark in the narrative. A full review will come shortly but suffice to say it's a strong four out of five stars.
Kai (CuriousCompass)
Jan 17, 2020 marked it as to-read
considering the first book has two different covers and they're both beautiful but so different, i wonder which art direction they'll keep for this book... >.> ...more
May
Feb 15, 2021 rated it really liked it
Once again I’m in awe of Rena Barron’s writing and talent for storytelling!!!

Let me start by saying this series is dark and exactly the type of fantasy that I love because you know what?! Nobody is pure and good in their core, everyone has some dark in them and nothing is sunshine or happy ever after!
There’s got to be casualties, that’s realistic because we wanna feel something when we read don’t we?
The story is so amazingly written and has such fantastic twists that’ll blow your mind. And the
2TReads
Feb 09, 2021 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read a lot. Barron has thrown in twists and revelations that definitely get a reaction.

"We tell ourselves what we need to hear to survive another day." -Tyrek

The threads of Barron's world are being woven tighter in #reaperofsouls as we see the ramifications of the fallout and the moves being put in place to either seize control, uncover the truth, or form a coalition to face what is coming.

Barron is committed to steadily building upon her world, further fleshing out her establis
Danielle
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
Rena said, "f*ck your second book slump," let's go!

REAPER OF SOULS starts off immediately following the exciting (and violent) events of Book 1, KINGDOM OF SOULS. Arrah and her friends must deal with the consequences of her mother and sister's actions. At the same time, Arrah and Rudjek are encountering more and more obstacles to their relationship. Not to mention, an extra love interest of two. 👀

There are twists, there are turns, there are meddling gods - and a Demon King determined to have his
Jade Hall
Jun 07, 2021 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
second book syndrome 👎👎

it got a lot more interesting at the end but i was kinda bored for ~50% of it

still excited to read the third book though
Stephenie
Jan 12, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Reaper picks up weeks after Kingdom of Souls. Like the first novel, the world is atmospherically dark, wicked and foreboding. While the tone is dark, there's plenty of comedic relief to break up the tension. At this point, I'm completely invested in Arrah, Rudjek and their world. They must be protected at all costs. Don't even get me started on the romance(s). Which, I also want to point out, some readers may not like the love triangle, but there's so much more to it. Clearly, Barron like to pla ...more
Jacob Rundle
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rena has done it again!!!! REAPER OF SOULS was EVERYTHING I desire in a sequel!!!! The characters’ development was SO REALISTIC AND SO WELL WRITTEN!!!! The story pulled me right in. I highly recommend this one to everyone!!!!!
Simant Verma
Jun 18, 2020 marked it as 2021-releases
June 18th, 2020: The cover of the sequel of Kingdom of Souls is here and OH.MY.GOD. So beautiful! Gorgeous! such a perfect contrast to the previous book and how beautiful they look together.

Reaper of Souls and Kingdom of Souls

Artist: Adeyemi Adegbesan
Cover Designer: Jenna Stempel-Lobell
Jo
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reaper of Souls sees our return to the lush, vibrant, and dangerous world that Rena Barron has masterfully constructed in her debut Kingdom of Souls. After years of yearning for magic, Arrah finally attains the one thing she's wanted - but she too discovers that it came at too steep a price. Still reeling from the devastating events in Kingdom of Souls, Arrah is left to shoulder the weight of a legacy, shattered relationships, a kingdom plunged into chaos, and a love so ill-fated. True to the re ...more
Robbin
May 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Rena Barron is soooo underrated! This series is 🔥 and not enough people are talking about it. Like seriously if you haven’t started Kingdom of Souls, PLEASE do!

Rena has a way of pulling you into the story while simultaneously ripping your heart out of your chest LOL This is definitely one of those series where you’re on an emotional rollercoaster from page one. Your heart is consistently wrenched out of your chest yet you can’t put the book down. Every loss in the book I’ve felt as if I was Arr
Diana
May 01, 2021 added it
Shelves: dnfed
DNF'ed at page 291

I have been wanting to like this one, even though the first one I rated at 3 stars, but I didn't take to the characters or to the story in this one. At thr beginning I felt a bit lost because I didn't remember all that happened on book 1, and then I felt we were going in circles with arrah looking for the tribe, fighting against the demon king on her head and fearing she will lose control of her power. And then rudjek fighting against demons while re'mec tells him Arrah is gonn
Layla
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was granted an eARC from the publisher through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Slow to start and then barreling straight into adventure, heartbreak and deception.

I adored Kingdom of Souls so much and it's sequel does not disappoint. Rich with it's history coupled with a plan eons in the making, it takes the reader further into the world that Arrah lives in and the past that has forged their present.

Prepare yourselves for twists and turns, epic battles and heart wrenching moments.
Holly Hughes
Mar 01, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: audiobook
”This war will go on forever if we don’t do anything to stop it.”

A solid successor and continuation of the series. There were a few moments that fell prey to second book syndrome, but on the whole the characters and world-building are fantastic. And those final chapters? DAMN. The final book is going to be one hell of a ride.

I also loved that they brought back the same narrator from the first book, because she is excellent!!
Geena
Feb 20, 2021 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I am obsessed.... I am losing my mind.... the number of twists and turns..... had me screaming!!!

It started off slow not gonna lie, but once it picked up speed it did NOT stop and I have so many conflicted feelings... ESPECIALLY THE END......
Hannah
May 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
I really love this series and can't believe it isn't talked about more. This series is so much fun and I fell in love with all of the characters. But these cliffhangers keep giving me so much anxiety lol can't wait for the next book! ...more
 Vanessa  B. ♡
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads, netgalley
ARC provided via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Review to come
King Maria
Mar 20, 2021 rated it liked it
The story of Arrah and her friends continues and this time there is a whole lot of twists and actions scenes. There are possible ❗*SOILERS*❗
It was enjoyable, even though some characters changed from the first book and not in a good way. The story itself is not bad, but the plot twists were overwhelming. The only good thing I can say about the plot twists is that I did not see that coming. The characters that receive most attention are of course the books' POV characters, who are Arrah, Rudjek an
USOM
Dec 23, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

Reaper of Souls is a story about the fate of the world they live in, but at the same time it's a story about love. Fluid and descriptive, Reaper of Souls has some fantastic writing twists that made me pause. Full of a love that would tear them apart, Arrah and Rudjeck face a love that repeals each other, one that could unmake them. But can they overcome it together despite the od
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The Gilded Ones (The Gilded Ones, #1)
  • The Unbroken (Magic of the Lost, #1)
  • This Vicious Grace (The Last Finestra, #1)
  • The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1)
  • The Lonely Heart of Maybelle Lane
  • Witches Steeped in Gold (Witches Steeped in Gold, #1)
  • A ​Queen of Gilded Horns (A River of Royal Blood, #2)
  • A Darker Shade of Magic (Shades of Magic, #1)
  • Daughter of Smoke & Bone (Daughter of Smoke & Bone, #1)
  • Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orïsha, #1)
  • Daughters Of Nri (The Return of the Earth Mother, #1)
  • The Conductors
  • Red Tigress (Blood Heir Trilogy, #2)
  • Phoenix Flame (Havenfall #2)
  • This Golden Flame
Rena Barron grew up in small-town Alabama where stories of magic and adventure sparked her imagination. After penning her first awful poem in middle school, she graduated to writing short stories and novels by high school. Rena loves all things science fiction, ghosts, and superheroes. She’s a self-proclaimed space nerd. When she’s not writing, she can be found reading or brushing up on her French ...more

Kingdom of Souls (3 books)
  • Kingdom of Souls (Kingdom of Souls, #1)
  • Untitled (Kingdom of Souls, #3)