Jump to ratings and reviews

Malice and Forethought: Short Stories of Malice and Murder

Malice noun

mal·​ice | \ ˈma-ləs\

1 : desire to cause pain, injury, or distress to another
2 : intent to commit an unlawful act or cause harm without legal justification or excuse
//ruined her reputation and did it with malice

Everyone is capable of malice and no one is immune to its outcome.

A Hint of Malice - When her last living relative commits suicide after having her identity and assets stolen, a grieving niece longs for justice.

Burned - When the masterminds behind a major drug operation get off with a slap on the wrists, a frustrated police detective warns them their wealth cannot shield them from everything.

The Marshall Sisters - After seeing her sister mistreated by far too many men, Leslie Marshall is proud of Paula for standing up for herself and accompanies her on a cold winter's night to confront her boyfriend, but even Leslie isn't ready for the new, assertive Paula.

The Watcher - Shamed into exiled by his family because of his sexual fetish and hanging on to the shreds of his sanity, a man plots the ultimate date night with his new neighbor.

What's done in the dark always comes to the light.

60 pages, Kindle Edition

Published June 1, 2020

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Felicia Denise

5 books99 followers
Writing has been a hobby of Felicia’s since grade school, but other than serving as editor and writing for her high school newspaper, she never publicly shared anything until the early 2000s when she began writing fan fiction.

At the urging of a good friend, Felicia took on the challenge of NaNoWriMo in 2015, writing what would become her first published book, In the Best Interest of the Child. It was released in the fall of 2016. Free, a Novella, which began as a three-installment series on her website, was published as a short story in May 2017.

A long-time blogger, she also features books by indie authors daily on her blog, Nesie’s Place.

The recent widow calls Arizona home and has several works in progress.

Follow Felicia on social media – https://feliciadenise.com and https://nesiesplace.wordpress.com to keep up with author updates, blog promotions, and book reviews.

Amazon Author Page - https://www.amazon.com/Felicia-Denise...
Facebook Author Page – https://www.facebook.com/authorfelici...
Twitter – https://www.twitter.com/MsFelicia
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/fle_d/
Pinterest – https://www.pinterest.com/fdreevers/
Monthly Newsletter - http://eepurl.com/cklOKL

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews
Profile Image for James.
Author 19 books3,483 followers
June 5, 2020
I read my first book, In the Best Interest of the Child, by Felicia Denise just under two years ago. I walked away from that one thinking she was extraordinarily gifted at creating a touching family drama and truly shined the light on one woman's need to right a wrong in the past. Her character development and the underlying tone in the book were remarkable, and when her latest book, a collection of short stories entitled Malice and Forethought, became available, I absolutely had to be one of the first to get a copy. I'm not usually a reader of shorts, as I really like getting into character development and plot, but this one's cover immediately drew my attention. Dark... mysterious... dangerous... dramatic. The moon is a fascinating object, and when I leafed through the overview, I knew it was a must-read.

While I could chat about all the stories, I'll focus on the lead one, A Hint of Malice, as it really is a stunner. Jess has two identities. She's a good girl, but she's got a venomous streak that comes out when she's been wronged. Right away, we know she's cutting up a body. Before long, we're hearing the backstory and feeling sorry for her and her aunt. What kind of creep would do what he did to them!?! And that's when you know... not only is malice sometimes the right path to salvation (okay, in books of course), but this was gonna be a great collection. Toss in witchery, revenge, lust, greed.... you've got all the sins wrapped up in unexpected ways.

There's something real and reachable about Felicia Denise's writing. Her characters play on your sympathy. Her plots pull you in quite quickly and quite fiercely. There's no fluff, and I mean that in a good way -- it's strong writing, clever actions, drool-worthy settings, and the perfect way to pass an afternoon. So... grab this one while it's fresh off the printers (or formatters!) and then you'll see why you have to go back and read more. While there's a bit of gore and sexual content, it's nothing we haven't all seen or read before, so don't think twice about whether you can handle it. If nothing else, you get to live our your revenge fantasies through someone else a few times, right? We all need a little fantasy role-play, especially when it comes to re-balancing the equation and our mindsets. What a totally different genre, and what a totally fantastic win!
Profile Image for Shalini.
2,477 reviews199 followers
June 5, 2020
In the right circumstances, everyone is capable of murder.

So proved our very talented blogger and author Ms. Felicia Denise with her 4 different short stories. Each one made me cackle with delight at the right dash of evil it was tinged with. Malice seeped into the pages of the first story where the identity theft of her aunt saw the niece seeing red.

I love it when a story could say so much more with a few lines. Each character brought something tangy to the story. The women were badasses, and I loved the way they fought back their circumstances. The Marshall sisters had my heart pumping malice at the betrayal they saw.

At 60 pages, the book was short enough to read in half hour where stupidity of the criminals made me smirk. And malice was executed with the right amount of force even when prewarned. Some rookie criminals made it so easy in the second story.

The human psyche and its odds were dealt with a sweet fragrance of malice by the author. I had to admire the forbearance of the wvharcyers character whose brain had to pose the situation.

With each story, the author made the shorts so much fun. They were all different and empowering...to kill... The author sure had a wicked mind filled with malicious thoughts to drum up these stories.

Malice with tea and biscuits. Great combination.
Profile Image for D. Peach.
Author 22 books129 followers
September 19, 2020
This collection of 4 short stories kept me entertained for an hour on a rainy afternoon. Each story reads like a vignette, with vivid characters and a quick pace. The central theme is murder with a bit of malevolence and planning, and the stories are quite different from each other. A favorite was hard to choose, but I probably enjoyed “The Marshall Sisters” most of all. Recommended for short story readers who enjoy a good murder and quality writing.
Profile Image for Kiru Taye.
Author 55 books302 followers
July 19, 2020
This is a brilliant collection. Each story is unique and with its own twist.
I loved the last one--the watcher. I didn't see that twist coming.
Absolutely brilliant and just the perfect length.
I did not get bored or put the book down until the end.
Profile Image for L.S..
685 reviews24 followers
July 6, 2020
Some time ago, I read the author’s first book, “In the Best Interest of the Child”, and so I knew she could tell a story that pulled at the heartstrings. But let me tell you, whoa …does she have a dark side. And, you know what, it’s DELICIOUS! 😉

In A Hint of Malice, Jessalyn Hunter sets out to avenge her aunt’s death because, in her words, “Put in the right situation, anyone can kill.” And Jess was in that zone … the scumbag gigolo protected by his privileged family connections had it coming.

Vigilante justice served up beautifully for one newly stone-cold dead guy.

Burned tells the story of a stake-out in Creighton, where a multi-million dollar drugs haul puts the spotlight on an arrogant millionaire businessmen when his son is caught up in the raid. Soon-to-be-retired cop, Pat Sinclair understands that when drug barons don’t get what they paid for, then someone has to pay. Unfortunately for the wealthy tycoon, he doesn’t grasp the danger around the corner and opts to ignore the cop’s warning.

You know, some people just cannot be helped!!!

I love, love , love The Marshall Sisters. Doing what sisters do, Leslie Marshall takes on a supportive role as her older sibling, Paula, finally calls time on her relationship with Allen Bailey, a serial cheat and love-rat. What Leslie doesn’t know, however, is exactly how she is lending her support to Paula …not until the news anchor mentions those blue trash bags used to clean up the scene.

What a great twist!

Finally, The Watcher brings an end to this wonderful collection of sinister tales. Disowned by his family and exiled from Chicago, Hart Stanhope refuses to accept the new life imposed upon him. How dare they suggest his act was any worse than their own! He walks away from anything they’ve touched and starts over …watching his new neighbour and determined to make her his. But Penny Driver sees him watching her and she’s ready for him in a way he never suspects.

Turning the tables has never been so much fun.

Packed with twists and shocks aplenty, these stories are bound to entertain. Felicia Denise is a master at creating characters who draw you into their world and make you root for them. Indeed, she does that here, but she also dishes up some unsavoury characters who you would not wish to even share a lift with, let alone any substantial part of your life. Yet these are not caricatures, these are people we can all recognise, and each carries a secret that stains their lives and burns a hole in their soul. Acts of malice are their only escape …and their stories make for great reading.
Profile Image for Pamela Hester.
Author 2 books11 followers
August 16, 2020
The first story caught my attention, and it immediately held me hostage. Mrs. Felicia is talented at creating stories and pulling you in as if you were there witnessing what is happening with the characters.

I love this anthology, and am looking forward to reading more of her work.
Profile Image for Deborah Bailey.
Author 17 books310 followers
November 23, 2021
Includes four short stories that are heavy on suspense and show that in some cases, crime does pay. Set in the world of everyday people who take action to handle their business (or who aren't so lucky when it comes to knowing who to make deals with).

The tone is that bad things can happen to good people and not so good people. And sometimes people who are fed up decide to settle the scores on their own. It's always interesting to see the tables turn on those who think they'll get away with a bit of larceny.

A Hint of Malice - what happens when people get too cocky about wrecking people's lives and forget there's always a price to be paid.

Burned - a solid police procedural with one character reminding me of Lennie Brisco from Law & Order. In fact I could see this story being the basis for an episode.

The Marshall Sisters - two sisters and a one secret that may drive them apart or cement their bond.

The Watcher - this has a few twists that lead one to ask, who is watching the watchers? Good question! Things are never what they seem.

That's the thing about suspense and thrillers - an event or a stranger can throw a well-ordered world out of whack. Average people who don't expect to be caught up can suddenly be forced to make hard decisions.

That's what makes this collection so compelling. There's a thin line between heroes and villains and the characters featured here are often a bit of both.
Displaying 1 - 9 of 9 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.