Start by marking “Iphigenia Murphy” as Want to Read:
Iphigenia Murphy

Iphigenia Murphy

Published March 10th 2020 by Blackstone Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Iphigenia Murphy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Iphigenia Murphy

Start your review of Iphigenia Murphy
C.G. Drews
This story felt like a cry of light in dark places. It's about abuse and homelessness, and it's really really heartbreaking to read at times. Also I think it handled a lot of very dark topics well -- like it's hard to capture messy people doing messy things, really get into their heads, and show the reader how a cruel world can shape you into something you don't even want to be; but how you can also reclaim yourself. There were just so many good themes 🥺 like healing for yourself, no one else. L ...more
The Nerd Daily
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Laura Erne

Iphigenia Murphy by Sara Hosey was a welcome surprise from Blackstone Publishing. There were many things that didn’t jump out at me as I read the synopsis but then I started to read the book and everything changed. This tough and gritty 90’s New York setting was disturbing and yet brilliant all at once. Hosey was able to create a simple depiction of a teenage runaway with an enormous amount of power backing her. I’m nothing like the ma
Bhavik (Semi Hiatus)
Dec 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Actual rating: 3.70

Finished this last night with the hope of feeling all achy breaky heart and sadness as most reviews would tell you but ofcourse I didn't find it as much powerful enough to have such emotions flow from me.
Melissa (thereaderandthechef)
Mar 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
*This review can also be found on The Reader & The Chef! Huge thanks to Blackstone and MTMC Tours for the tour copy.*

Oh my heart. Iphigenia Murphy is a heart-breaking tale about abandonment, abuse, homelessness and survival. I was not prepared for this emotionally raw journey, but I am glad I did get to experience Iphigenia Murphy because it’s such a great read. It made me tear up and feel anger (so much anger), but also so much love and fierce protectiveness over the characters. ♥

Iphigenia Murp
Lucsbooks
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a book that I went into without expecting much and was then amazed by.

What initially made me read this story was that I had never encountered a main character in Iphi’s situation before.

Most of the book is set on the street and it was amazing and heartbreaking to see that that was where Iphy felt the safest in comparison with her old house. The description of Iphy’s day to day was also one of the best parts of the book, not only because it let us peek behind the curtain on what it was to
Elizabeth Wood
Apr 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Iphigenia Murphy by Sara Hosey Iphigenia Muphy is a YA novel in the way that Hunger Games or Lord of the Rings were YA novels. It is absolutely a must-read for adults of all ages who want compelling stories that dig into difficult issues by telling incredible stories in believable ways.

Iphigenia Murphy is a 15-year-old from Queens with a family that is at turns violent and neglectful. She runs away to Forest Park (with a pretty viable plan for surviving at least through the summer), and meets a host of characters as comp
Paige Green
Mar 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer: I received an e-arc and a finished copy from the publisher. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Iphigenia Murphy

Author: Sara Hosey

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 4/5

Publication Date: March 10, 2020

Publisher: Blackstone Publishing

Pages: 272

Recommended Age: 17+ (abortion *nothing wrong with it, but it's not some people's cup of tea and I like to be upfront.*, Rape and attempted rape, sexual assault, language, some violence)

Synopsis: Running away from home hasn't solved Iphigenia Murph
megan ♡
Jul 02, 2020 rated it liked it
This was a very hard-hitting book that managed to capture the essence of such dark themes whilst also managing to create a sense of hope and growth. I think the main focus of this novel was moving forwards and growing as a person but only for yourself and not for other people. It was a gripping and very intense story but I just don't think there was enough time to fully focus on every aspect to the max.

Thanks to Netgalley for an E-arc in exchange for an honest review.
Brooke Banks
I received this book for free from in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Happy Tuesday! Today, is all about Iphigenia Murphy, a new YA novel about a teen running away from home, and trying to find her mother.
About Iphigenia Murphy:

IMHO: Iphigenia Murphy
Iphigenia Murphy won me from the get as she was getting gone. Her home life sucks in a really common way and her response is very typical, but rarely portrayed. SO many kids r
Anandi Puritipati
Mar 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5/5

Review up on Instagram--https://www.instagram.com/p/B9eCysEgH...
Jheelkamal Nayak
Mar 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
Trigger Warnings : Abuse, Hopelessness, Trans phobia, Drugs.
This is a cruel bleak world and we barely choose to see that side of it. This book handled it conscientiously, making sure we enjoy reading it as well as take away something from it. It's a slow burning flame which ignites to become a volcano when you are done. Thank you so much @blackstonepublishing and @theffbc for giving me a chance to read this book

Characters :
This book had really interesting characters with depth and a history. Ip
Chris
Jun 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't know...

How sad it is that two messed up people could mess up the lives of their children too? That instead of being protected and cherish, some children live in permanent fear-and some don't even get to be teenagers. It's nice that against all odds, Iff was still able to survive and found happiness. Yet, it only brought to mind the sad reality that many children did not and will not.
CR
Dec 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book spoke to my heart and spirit. I was once upon a time homeless for about 6 months growing up. I was fortunate enough to be able to spend time in shelters that were were clean and having enough money to stay in hotels. But there were a few times that we were stuck in our truck to spend the night. It wasn't the worst time of my life. But it sure wasn't the best either and its not an experience that I would like to repeat. This story is so heartbreaking and real. I loved the parts where we ...more
Gerrit Boogaart
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I finished this book in one day; it's been a very long time since I've finished anything in one day! I couldn't stop reading, had to know what happened to Iphigenia, Corrine, Anthony, and Angel. I loved the book, so sincere, heartfelt, and beautifully written. The characters are bold, gritty, precious, and so very fragile and flawed. All of that. 5 stars. Hands down. ...more
Wisconsin Alumni
Sara Hosey MA'98, PhD'07
Author

From the author:
Running away from home hasn't solved Iphigenia Murphy's problems. In fact, it's only a matter of time before they'll catch up with her. Iffy is desperate to find her long-lost mother, and, so far, in spite of the need to forage for food and shelter and fend off an unending number of creeps, living in Queens' Forest Park has felt safer than living at home. But as the summer days get shorter, it all threatens to fall apart.

A novel that explores the sus
Jill Jemmett
Mar 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was an intense story.

Iphigenia runs away from her abusive home to live in a park where she thinks she can find her mother. She becomes friends with a transgender woman and a young man who has been kicked out of his home. She also takes care of a homeless dog. Her new friends help her wander through the park and try to find her mother.

There were some very difficult scenes in this book. Iphigenia was abused by her stepmother and stepbrother, and her father didn’t do anything to help. Her frie
Zoe L.
Mar 08, 2020 added it
You have no idea how excited I have been about this 90s revival. You know, I say as I sit here typing under a brightly colored quilt in 90s baggy jeans and a graphic tee-shirt. There’s just something about revisiting my childhood that makes me happy. So OF COURSE I immediately HAD to read Iphigenia Murphy when I found out about it! I mean, a run away living in a tent in Queens? It’s just like this story was made from me (you know, I say again as I impatiently wait for more backpacking supplies t ...more
Thais • tata.lifepages •
Mar 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
I was gifted a free copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

I am mostly a fantasy reader since contemporaries usually don't entertain me as much. However, Iphigenia Murphy has surpassed my expectations. It is a story that brings up realistic life issues into the spotlight and how friendship is extremely important to keep us in check.

This book has definitely crushed my heart, I could not go through one fifth of the hardships that Iphigenia encounters. Running away from home is the hard
Kimberly
Dec 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Iphigenia Murphy is one of those books that sticks with you throughout your whole life. This YA novel is full of heartache, sadness, and above all else, hope.

The story was incredibly hard to read. I was in tears throughout as I felt Iffy’s pain. When Corrine came along, then Ann and Anthony, I couldn’t help but sigh with relief. I held out hope that life would turn out okay for Iffy.

My only complaint is that I wanted to know what happened to Iffy, further than the Epilogue took me. I need to kno
Liliana Silva
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Oh my god....
This book, this book was freaking amazing !
I cried, I laughed , I got scared...
A mix of emotions all the time, it was a pleasure to read this book !
Iphigenia's story was so painful but very real to a some of us.
She was a warrior, Corinne was the best friend she deserved !
Angel was truly an angel and even Ann helped out.
I was so scared about Anthony, always expecting him to screw up ...
I just feel sad that we don't get a final closure, as her life in like 3 years later or something l
Lynn Wilson
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: give-aways
Jamie
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
To begin with, I usually put a book down after 30 or 40 pages if it doesn’t grip me by then. . This novel is so poignant and sad in parts, but the heroine, Iffy is one of many unusual kids who takes life on and meets some wonderful characters and shows that there are some very wonderful humans out there in the midst of chaos and disappointment. There are silver linings in a sometimes very dim world.
Laura Pigg
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great YA novel. After being abused by her stepbrother, a young girl runs away from home and becomes homeless to search for her mother. There are parts that are tough to read, but you see that the tough parts are what makes the character who she is. She’s not afraid to be by herself—it’s the people that mess with her that have to be afraid. I found myself wanting to cheer for her towards the end of the book!!
Susan
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a tough subject handled with so much compassion. Not since Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games has there been a heroine with the kind of grit, courage and resilience that we experience in Iphigenia Murphy. And her relationship with her dog Angel is one I will always remember. Highly recommend for young adults of all ages.

Pia
Jun 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book!’

I really enjoyed reading this book. While it was heartbreaking at times, it was a pleasant read that evoked compassion and anger while really rooting for the main character “iffy”. Very interesting story line and probably much more realistic in NYC than we’d like to believe!
Elizabeth
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Heartbreaking but beautiful story of survival under the worst circumstances. Loved Iffy’s character and the other strong characters she meets on her journey. This story makes you reflect on important issues like abuse, homeless and abandonment. Truly enjoyed this touching novel . Excellent writing by Sara Hosey!
Claire
just so so good, these characters are amazing and fleshed out and I didn't want to stop reading about them. Just really really amazing and you should read it.

TW: transphobia, sexual assault and rape (in flashbacks, not graphically detailed), physical assault, animals getting hurt, (view spoiler)
Liza Taylor
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I didn’t realize this is a YA title. I binge-read it in less than 24 hours and it made me completely forget about corona virus for a while. I loved the story and characters. Highly recommended for any age reader.
Lindsay Sproul
Apr 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FIVE STARS to this beautiful, brave coming of age story!!!

I breezed through this book in a couple of days, and it was just what I needed right now. These kids are up against everything, and there's still hope throughout the whole book. I absolutely loved the 1990s Queens setting, and the way these characters manage to escape. It's tender, honest and gorgeously written.

Don't miss this one!

• The Shadows Between Us
  • When You Ask Me Where I'm Going
  • Drag Teen
  • Turtle Boy
  • White Stag (Permafrost, #1)
  • Odriel's Heirs (Odriel's Heirs, #1)
  • A Forgotten Murder (Medlar Mystery, #3)
  • Killer Domes and the Chosen One
  • Song of the Abyss (Tower of Winds, #2)
  • The Companions
  • Blind Sympathy
  • Devil Shadows and Golden Lantern With Other Stories
Sara Hosey's debut novel, "Iphigenia Murphy," about a runaway who starts a new life in a wooded city park, has been called "gritty and unflinching" and named an audible buzzworthy listen. Pick up yours today!