Start by marking “A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)” as Want to Read:
A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)

A Child Lost

(Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)

A spiritualist, an insane asylum, a lost little girl . . .

When Clive, anxious to distract a depressed Henrietta, begs Sergeant Frank Davis for a case, he is assigned to investigating a seemingly boring affair: a spiritualist woman operating in an abandoned schoolhouse on the edge of town who is suspected of robbing people of their valuables. What begins as an open and shut
Published April 28th 2020 by She Writes Press

To ask other readers questions about A Child Lost, please sign up.
Ferne Each novel can be read as a stand-alone but to become completely immersed in the characters’ lives that author Michelle Cox has created for readers an…moreEach novel can be read as a stand-alone but to become completely immersed in the characters’ lives that author Michelle Cox has created for readers and how each evolves; I highly recommend reading this series in order. (less)

Start your review of A Child Lost (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5)
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Child Lost is part of an established series, Henrietta and Inspector Howard, but I was able to read this as a standalone.

Clive begs Sergeant Davis for a new case to work on and ends up with an easy one, or so he thinks. A spiritual woman is taking advantage and robbing her clients of their valuables. It seems as if she’s guilty, but Henrietta thinks otherwise and actually listens to the woman.

Instead, Clive and Henrietta come on board with investigating Elsie’s concern- they are searching for
Nursebookie
This is my first-time reading Michelle Cox’s dynamic duo, Henrietta and Inspector Howard, a Historical Fiction mystery set in 1930’s Chicago. This is the fifth book in the series and read well as a stand alone for me.

In this installment of the series, Henrietta is going through depression given a recent miscarriage and Clive (Inspector Howard) knows that a new case will certainly cure the blues for Henrietta. The cases they take involve an asylum, a hypnotist, and a lost child.

Michelle Cox wri
Jypsy
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you Iread and the author for a complimentary copy. I voluntarily reviewed this book. All opinions expressed are my own.

A Child Lost
Henrietta and Inspector Howard #5
By: Michelle Cox

REVIEW ☆☆☆☆
Michelle Cox is a new to me author, and A Child Lost is the fifth book in her Henrietta and Inspector Howard series; however, this book can easily be read as a standalone.
In this book, Henrietta is, on the heels of a miscarriage, depressed. Clive(Inspector Howard) wishes to lighten her mood and sense
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
Feb 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Entertaining is just one word I would use to describe this book. This is the fifth book in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series. I did not read the first 4 books. This one can be read as a stand alone book. I was not lost at all, it felt like I knew the characters and I hated to see this book come to an end.
4 stars and I recommend it.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our own.
ReadingGirlReviews (Gina)
Apr 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Guilty as charged.  I have to admit, this is my first Michelle Cox book.  Can you believe it's book 5 of her Henrietta and Inspector Howard Series?  Yeah, I had no clue.   So starting out saying that doesn't sound so good, does it?   Let's not take this review in THAT direction,  I just wanted to be up front with you and let you know this is a series and an author I was unaware of before I dug in.  It wouldn't be fair otherwise.

So Michelle Cox writes historical fiction based on 1930's Chicago, I
Sally Cronin
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed catching up with Inspector Howard and his now wife Henrietta and the rest of her extended family including the warm hearted Elsie. Circumstances have changed dramatically for both Clive and Henrietta since they met during a murder investigation at the club where she worked. Her mother had come from a well to do family but had been disowned following her marriage, but in subsequent books in the series to this point, Henrietta and her sisters had been taken back under the wing of her wea ...more
Toya (the reading chemist)
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Calling all historical fiction and mystery fans! A Child Lost is the fifth installment of the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series but don’t let that deter you because it can be enjoyed as a standalone!

Henrietta is going through severe depression as she copes with a recent miscarriage. Clive (Inspector Howard) is at his wit’s end trying to help. He ultimately decides that the best thing for Henrietta is to feel needed by immersing herself in a new case.

Rather than once case, Henrietta and Cliv
Mick Dubois
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It’s 1936 in Chicago
Elsie, Henrietta’s sister, is now a student at Mondelein an all-women faculty in Chicago. There she befriends the German custodian who’s looking after a little girl, 5-year-old Anna. She was left in his mother’s boarding house back home in Germany by Liesel who went to America to look for Anna’s father. Gunther has now followed her to the USA because Anna suffers from epilepsy (what was considered a mental illness at the time or even possession by the devil by the less educat
Chelsie
Mar 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
I think this one is my favorite inspector novel so far! A child with a missing mother, Elsie tangled up with another man, and Clive being called upon to look into a shady spiritualist woman. Their private investigator business seems to be booming even though the cases may seem to be that they will be easily solved. But they have to start somewhere, right?

Elsie calls Henrietta asking to meet, she has something important she wants to discuss. Henrietta, having been ill forces herself to meet Elsie
Bonnye Reed
A Child Lost is #5 of Michelle Cox's Henrietta and Inspector Howard novels. We are in the Chicago area, in the mid-1930s. I have missed a couple in this series, but this novel stands alone very well. Months after their European honeymoon was interrupted with the death of Clive's father, followed just recently by Henrietta losing her baby at just about 2 months PG, we are again with Henrietta and Clive in the wing of his family home as they both try to interweave their own lives. Added to the mix ...more
Gud Reader
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
A Child Lost is both a smart and enthralling historical thriller cum fiction mystery with some real attitude. This superb read is the fifth instalment of Michelle Cox’s series comprising of the dynamic duo Henrietta and inspector Howard. In the current instalment, a concerned Clive (Inspector Howard) coerces Sergeant Davis for a new case; one which he believes will distract a shattered and already depressed Henrietta who has recently undergone a miscarriage. On his part, Davis assigns them a see ...more
Amwoma
Feb 14, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic read! Like most historically set mysteries of the 1930s, one will typically expect historically charged content with the horrors of war, but this master pieces turn out to be a book of its own kind.
Elsie has just "began to feel certain stirrings" for a Gunter, a German custodian who seems to be lost in his search for one Liesel Klinkhammer. Liesel is also looking for her love in the USA, one Heinrich Klinkhammer, but she is again seemingly escaping Nazi German persecution follow
Debra Slonek
Apr 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-reads
Mysterious, suspenseful, historical fiction at its best! Reading this well-written novel will transport you to Chicago during the 1930’s. This time and place is rich with intrigue, history, class distinctions, timely social norms and a cast of quirky characters.

The characters are well developed and well connected. I especially enjoyed the two main couples. By enduring grief, surviving danger and working together while solving mysteries, Clive and Henrietta’s relationship grew deeper and thrived.
Annie McDonnell
Dec 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Michelle Cox saved the best story for last! At least for now! “A Lost Child” is a true stunner! It has everything, and I fell right into this rabbit hole! It was too exciting! Of course, it tugged at my heart strings because of the lost child! But, what a story! Michelle sure can deliver a well-researched, heartfelt, mysterious story that you don’t want to put down. She is on the pulse of what readers want!
I give Michelle Cox’s writing the highest praise!

I was given a copy of this book by the a
Bookgirl86
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Historical mystery with a twist-- 'A Child Lost' by Michelle Cox gave me the familiarity of a rich and sumptuous historical piece with a little unexpected flair for good measure.

I have never read Michelle Cox before, but if this novel is representative of the rest of her books, then sign me up!

I couldn't get enough of this novel while I was reading and I couldn't put it down until I finished every last page.

Rarely do I find a historical novel that I feel is so well researched and thought out, pl
Linda Zagon
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Linda's Book Obsession Reviews "A Child Lost" by Michelle Cox, She Writes Press, April 29, 2020, for Suzy Approved Book Tours

Michelle Cox, author  "A Child Lost" has written an intriguing, intense, captivating and suspenseful novel. The Genres for this novel are Mystery, Suspense, Fiction, with a touch of Historical Events. The timeline for this story is in the 1930s in Chicago. The author describes her dramatic cast of characters as complex and complicated.

This is one of the series of books in
Mary Yarde
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

"We need to find her, you see," Elsie rushed on. "This Liesel. So we, well, I thought that maybe you and Clive could help?" Elsie's voice was getting higher and more faint as she spoke. "You know, with the new detective agency…"

Gunther Stockel had gambled everything and lost. Now he was alone in Chicago with a child that wasn't his, looking for a woman who did not want to be found.

Elsie Von Harmon was seriously considering becoming a nun, that was until she met Gunther. She cannot help but want
Carolyn Breckinridge
Feb 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing

Author Michelle Cox has knocked it totally out of the park with her soon-to-be-released novel, ‘A Child Lost,’ the fifth in her Henrietta and Inspector Howard series. This novel is worthy of six or seven stars, and fans of historical mystery/romance would be wise to delve into her multi-award winning series set in Chicago in the 1930’s. (‘A Girl Like You,’ ‘A Ring of Truth,’ ‘A Promise Given,’ ‘A Veil Removed.’)
‘A Child Lost’ continues to follow the marital union of two families, one that was
Michelle Cox
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: my-books, bookclub-it
Denise
Mar 01, 2021 rated it it was amazing
In this 5th entry of a delightful series set in 1930's Chicago, the detective duo of Henrietta and Clive become embroiled in 2 separate mysteries, one involving a friend of her younger sister, the other involving a supposed psychic scam artist. Clive is given a case to investigate, when an irate husband complains that his wife has taken family jewellery and given it to a fake psychic. Her sister has fallen in love with an older German immigrant, the caretaker at her private school. He has brough ...more
mowgliwithabook
Apr 21, 2020 rated it liked it
Michelle Cox’s Detective-couple series-> Henritta & Clive novels-are based on a real life character from Chicago in the early 1900s. This is the first book I read from the series. I love mysteries and adore historical fiction. This book is a historical mystery and so best of both worlds for me.
🌟🌟🌟💫/5
Henritta & Clive Howard have just lost a child to miscarriage. As aspiring detectives, Clive tries to involve Henritta in the case of a seemingly fraudulent spiritualist - a simple case meant to me
Molly Jaber (Cover To Cover Cafe)
This is my first Michelle Cox novel and it's definitely not going to be my last. This novel combined my favorites into one! Mystery and historical! I loved meeting Henrietta and Inspector Howard in this novel. While it was my first novel by Cox, and the 5th in a series, it was not confusing, and easily read as a stand alone.

I absolutely loved the detail that Cox incorporated into this page turning story. I felt myself being instantly transported to the 1930s falling in love with that era in tim
gwendalyn _books_
May 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book was received from the Author, and Publisher, in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

A Child Lost by Michelle Cox, is the fifth installment in her thrilling detective series featuring the Henrietta and inspector Howard Series.

Chicago, Illinois 1930s Inspector Howard and Henrietta are recent newlyweds, but they have already faced a slew of challenges, a miscarriage, along with family mishaps. Clive is determined to help his
Jen C (ReadinginWBL)
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Child Lost starts with Elsie, a college student who becomes friendly with the groundskeeper, Gunther. Gunther is the caregiver of a young girl, named Anna. ⁠
.⁠
Next we meet, Henrietta, the sister of Elsie. Henrietta had a difficult year and her husband Clive, hopes to distract her by investigating a few cases. ⁠
.⁠
In A Child Lost, the main mystery is to find the mother of young Anna. With a side story about a spiritualist suspected of operating a scam. Lastly, you have an asylum where things are
Christine
Jul 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The setting is the 1930s Chicago and the surrounding northern suburbs. So travel back in time with me as we delve into Michelle Cox’s mystery book “A Child Lost”, the latest in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series.

A husband and wife duo searches for answers to a pair of mysteries. One is a heart wrenching case, the other is mysterious and other worldly. This rich and fantastic couple go to extraordinary lengths to help those that come to them in need. They shore up each other’s weak points,
Cindy Vine
Feb 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
While 'A Child Lost' is book 5 in a series, I was able to read the book as a stand alone. I received the book as a gift.
The genre is historical fiction meets mystery and is set in Chicago in the 1930's. Without revealing too much, Henrietta is suffering from depression and Inspector Howard brings a new case to her in an attempt to distract her from her depression.
The case involves an asylum and a lost child.
Michelle Cox handles sensitive issues with aplomb and has crafted a compelling plot that
johanna kolb
Feb 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting in the fact the Clive was trying to boost Henriettas spirits by doing investigations into a missing woman, A fortune teller the missing woman's child.
Henrietta is still reeling from her miscarriage so Clive tries to help her. Along the way she gets into a scrape or two. The twist at the end is a precursor to what happens next?
Susan Peterson
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
A Child Lost is an entertaining historical mystery set in Chicago in the 1930s the author masterfully combines an intricate plot with complex and fascinating characters. The setting becomes another character, brought to life by this talented author. I enjoyed this book as a stand-alone, but now I’m going to go back and read the other books in the Henrietta and Inspector Howard series to get to know Henrietta and Clive from the beginning!
Rachel
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another great installment to this series. I really like that there are multiple over-arching story lines for this series, but there are smaller mysteries to each book so that something is getting resolved with each read. I also love that there is another cliff-hanger ending!
This installment finds Henrietta recovering from her miscarriage, Elsie still wrestling with her feelings for Gunther while trying to help him search for a missing woman, and protect his small ward, Anna. Clive is wrestling w
Margaret
Mar 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great book in this series, however, I have to admit; this one is my favorite! Based on a romantic plot between two charming and witty characters, the story has some mysterious twists and turns. I just love it and can't wait to read more and to find out what happens next. I hope Cox will not let me wait for too long!!!! Strongly recommend this book to all of you who love romance with suspense, super entertaining! Best Birthday gift idea for those of you who don't know what to get for some ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Little Secrets
  • The Red Lotus
  • The Girls with No Names
  • Cover Your Tracks
  • The A.B.C. Murders (Hercule Poirot, #13)
  • Possession
  • The Betrayal
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • You Are Not Alone
  • The Queen of the Tearling (The Queen of the Tearling, #1)
  • Why I Held Your Hand
  • A Dog's Hope
  • The Watcher (Kateri Fisher, #1)
  • The Holiday
  • What's Not Said
  • Oona Out of Order
  • Cold Country
  • Stay
Michelle Cox is the author of the multiple award-winning Henrietta and Inspector Howard series as well as “Novel Notes of Local Lore,” a weekly blog dedicated to Chicago’s forgotten residents. She suspects she may have once lived in the 1930s and, having yet to discover a handy time machine lying around, has resorted to writing about the era as a way of getting herself back there. Coincidentally, ...more

Henrietta and Inspector Howard (5 books)
  • A Girl Like You (Henrietta and Inspector Howard, #1)
  • A Ring of Truth (Henrietta and Inspector Howard, #2)
  • A Promise Given (Henrietta and Inspector Howard #3)
  • A Veil Removed (Henrietta and Inspector Howard, #4)

News & Interviews