Start by marking “This Is All He Asks of You” as Want to Read:
This Is All He Asks of You

This Is All He Asks of You

Spanning Norway, Washington DC and Greece, This Is All He Asks of You is a visionary story about letters never sent, life once flowing and now frozen, swim-flying in golden light and the beauty of human connection. Above all, it is a story about how sad it would be if everything became like everything else.

'If you liked Where The Crawdads Sing, you'll love this story on hu
Published June 1st 2020 by Roundfire Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is All He Asks of You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Is All He Asks of You

Start your review of This Is All He Asks of You
Angela M
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Two things drew me to this book. I love epistolary novels and child narrators always affect me with their combination of innocence and wisdom, but what sealed the deal, and made me request an advanced copy of this book was the mention in the brief description of “human connection”. That’s what so much of life is about all of the time, but it feels especially important during this time when it’s difficult to be with family and friends. We visit in driveways and open spaces sitting apart with our ...more
Debra
Apr 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
"Have you ever noticed how many kinds of quiet there are in the world?"

There is a certain amount of beauty and pain in letters not sent. The letters are not sent because she didn't want to send them, they were not sent because she didn't know where to send them...

Luna is twelve years old and writing letters to the father she never met. She lives with her Mother who is dying from Cancer. Soon, she will be living with her uncle in Norway but until then she lives with her Mother, befriends her
Karen
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
4.5
Very moving...
12 yr old Luna tells her story mostly in letters that she writes to her father who is unknown to her..she doesn’t remember ever seeing or knowing him, but knows he lives in Greece from what she’s been told.
As she continues writing these letters we learn more about her life. She feels as she is different from others and she’s always searching for “the light” When something feels right to her, she gets a beeping in her ear.
Her mother is ailing and she becomes friends to a Vietnam
Elyse  Walters
Apr 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I read this story...a collection of letters... like drinking a large glass of delicious spring water. The writing is pure - simple - heart wrenching and luminous.

Anne Egseth inspired me with her debut. Told through the eyes of a twelve year old girl...Luna. She writes letters to her Dad....to wherever he may be in the world.
Occasionally she asks her dad a question in the letters that she’s writing.
“You have blue eyes as well, Dad, right?”
“Mom sometimes tells me that I have your eyes. If tha
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Anne Egseth has joined us in our Behind the Pages Group for a spoiler-free Q & A. She gave us some great insight into her story! You can view the Q & A here

This Is All He Asks of You is my kind of quiet story! It’s the kind of story that spoke to me in a quiet, inspiring way. It’s the kind of story that needed me to quiet my mind and take in the words I am reading. It’s the kind of story I love to delve into the beauty that is being shown to me. It’s the k
Cheri
A story that travels back and forth through time, from Norway in 2018, to Washington, DC in 2007 where it remains for the majority of this story. A story told mainly through the letters that twelve year-old Luna writes to her father, a father she has never met. A story of a young girl that is not only profoundly poignant, lovely, it has a sense of poetry and grace that seems so true to what this young girl is going through in her life.

’This is my attempt to create chronology, continuity and cohe
Lindsay - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
2.5 stars.

A child’s love letters to the father she longs to know.

Twelve-year-old Luna writes her estranged father letters. These letters are never sent but they are created from the depths of a young girls’ innocent mind and heart. Luna longs to know her father and hopes to discover more about herself by building a relationship with him one day. Luna has many questions for her father about the world, herself, her family and heritage. She is a young girl lost in the world with no sense of true b
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing writing!!!
I haven't read a book this good in such a long time!
I am so impressed!
This book gave me all the 'The Perks of Being a Wallflower' kind of feels. And wow, the narration is so amazing!
This is one of those books you will not ask much about the plot or the storyline. This is one of those rare books where the book just takes you to someplace which will cocoon you to feel something nice and warm even though your heart is breaking inside of you.
Let not the book cover deceive you. The
Lisa Vegan
Thank you to the author for an advance copy of this book and thank you to Goodreads friend Elyse for telling me about this book and introducing me to the author.

I loved a lot about this book.

The writing is lovely and poetic and at times almost like stream of consciousness of Luna’s thoughts and feelings and did a fabulous job of conveying Luna’s experience.

This book covers a gamut of emotions. At times it is heart wrenching but it’s also heartwarming. There is wonderful humor. There were sever
Rose
May 14, 2020 rated it liked it
This Is All He Asks of You by Author Anne Egseth Is a story about twelve year old Luna and the letters she has written, but not sent to a father she has never known.

The book is both beautiful and sad, as her mother is dying from Cancer

A story that is realistic and has an innocence in the young girls words and thoughts

Thank to NetGalley, John Hunt Publishing Ltd and Author Anne Egseth For my advanced copy to read in exchange for my review.
Anne
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh, what to say about this hauntingly beautiful and lyrical novel? I'm teary-eyed writing this as I just finished, and the book touched me deeply. I love it when John Hunt Publishing sends me an ARC as they seem to intuit what I will like even when I might not have requested the title! This is the story of twelve-year-old Luna who is an enigma; she sees the world differently than other girls her age. There's a humming in her brain that guides her to examine people/things that others don't see or ...more
Jeanette
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! This was a totally different read to my norm and cannot recall ever reading anything even remotely similar. It is beautifully written and one which draws you in right from the beginning. It is touching and thought provoking. I have wondered over the years with some of the thoughts that went through 12 yr old Luna's head. This is a story that will stay in my mind for some time to come. Hopefully it will not be too long before there is another book by Anne Egseth. A well deserved five s ...more
Cat
May 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
Luna reads through letters she wrote as a child and relives the memories of that painful yet precious and formative time in her life. She never knew her father and her mother is now dying, still determined to not share the name of Luna’s father. I loved the fond memories Luna has of her mother but I can’t forgive her for not being forthcoming, especially while on her death bed.
That aspect aside, the walk down memory lane will trigger memories with anyone who has a heart. The eloquent writing, th
Veryan
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Seldom have I read such an extraordinary and thought provoking tale as Anne Egseth's debut novel, 'This is All He Asks of You'.

Although the story opens in Norway in 2018, most of the action takes place over a period of a few months in 2007. There it follows the heartfelt musings of a sensitive, twelve-year-old called Luna, as she writes to her absent father.
Luna lives with her sick mother in Washington DC where, like all girls of her age, she attends school, has a best friend and leads an outwa
Kine Prytz
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Small, yet big
Simple, yet complex
Sad, yet full of hope
A wonderful book that takes me into the thoughts and feelings of a little girl growing up in America, though it starts with meeting the same girl as a young woman in the north of Norway. Growing up north of the artic circle myself, I can relate to the "opposites that goes together", like darkness and light, life and death. The book makes me reflect on many things in life, on many levels, and it takes me back to my own childhood, makes me reme
Sebastian Slovin
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I was young I often sought refuge in nature. During those times I felt enveloped in something sacred that is difficult to name. The feeling I got reading this book was a similar experience. This is all He Asks of You is a beautiful story of realizing that sacred aspect of life. Anne Egseth's poetic writing captivated me from the start and held me throughout.
Sara Chang
Feb 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anne Egseth has beautifully captured the importance and necessity of connection (to oneself, to others, and to the world around us) in this heartfelt story. Her gift of bringing a felt sense of our humanness into words that are accessible shines through this story. This story offers us another perspective and intimate experience to life and stays with you long after the last page.
Anne Synnøve
Feb 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was moved by this book, both by the simplicity of the writing as well as the beautiful yet painful story at its heart. It is rare to read a first novel by a writer which manages to get a grip on you so quickly and does it in a completely unpretensious way. Kudos to Anne Egseth for that! I was lucky to be given an advance copy of this book by the author
Helen
May 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely story told in the voice of a twelve year old girl. Luna is a child whose mother is dying. Luna longs for her father, who she never met, and she writes letters to him that she will never send. She is a lonesome and afraid little girl but she is also very brave. Her future is uncertain. When Luna’s mother takes a turn for the worse it is the strange neighbor, who she has befriended, who assists her and provides the parental care she needed during this horrific and scary time.
I loved the v
Tom Walsh
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS ALL
HE ASKS OF YOU
Anne Egseth

Anne offers us an existential song from the heart of a 12 year old girl who chooses to live by her own graces rather than subscribe to the limits of her family’s difficult circumstances. We are treated to living with Luna as she inhales the universe in her unique way of tasting the fullness of life through her never ending curiosity. Estranged from her she is able to honor him daily to keep him in her life. Even her mother's health problems do not stop her fr
Lealea ❤️
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Is All He Asks of You focuses on the story of Luna, a young girl who expresses her reality living with a terminally ill mother through a series of letters she writes to a father she has never met. Wise beyond her years, you feel as if you are living inside the skin of this young girl, where you see what she sees and feels what she feels in all its beauty and melancholy.

Her letters are incredibly moving.

She questions the fine line between life and death, "I wonder what happens to the light
Peggy
A child’s innocence ~
A child’s love ~
A child’s LIGHT ~~

Child, come with me
To where the sun is made of gold
And the moon is a pearl. We’ll be sailing free
Let’s go, you and me,
To where the sea meets our dreams. Hear the thunder roll by
We will sail and we’ll sing of the sea.
J
Apr 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review. I was surprised when reading the book that this is the author's debut novel. She is a really good writer. She captured my attention and told the story in such a way that I lost all track of time. There is so much to this story that flows right along to the very end. Anne, I enjoyed your first book and look forward to reading many more.
T Olsen
Apr 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Even though the main character has some strange mental processes, I had no problem relating, and even better, the writing is so good that there's no problem following. In addition, the book really gets better and better, and is very hard to put down.
Christina Hade
Apr 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is All He Asks of You is a beautiful story that follows twelve year old Luna’s introspective journey of the fullness and complexities of life. Through letters to her estranged father, this quirky and perceptive pre-teen shares her winding journey of self discovery and processes profound loss. Anne Egseth’s story is inspiring particularly because this unassuming teenager experiences life fully, in both the spiritual and physical sense, and her journey reminds us that healing light can be fou ...more
Alessia Evi
Apr 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What a treat to be able to spend time with Luna! The protagonist of “This is all he asks of you” has the invaluable skill to feel with all of her being, for betters or worse, and her being so incredibly close with what she feels, is contagious. I read this book while quarantined, and my wish is to be able to be more like Luna, when I’ll experience the world “as we knew it”, once again. The author has the unique talent of putting into words feelings that are so pure and simple, and yet so complex ...more
Elizabeth Oakes
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an advance copy of this book by the author.
I had no prior knowledge of the story or content.
What a delightful surprise this book is!
The young heroine and story teller has a unique and very engaging way of telling her story. She has an unusual perspective, one that draws you close and leads you gently through her world. It felt as if I was being invited into someone else's experience of life, and seeing through their eyes. The writing is clear and direct, and the story is simple but p
John Nelson
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A twentysomething woman, as frozen in time as her Norwegian landscape, reads through the light-filled letters of her long-lost twelve-year-old self written to a distant father she never knew. The girl, Luna, swim-flies through the golden air, talks to trees, and watches her neighbor snail-walking in his backyard seeing the light flow back into him from his lost self. This is All He Asks of You is an evocative an account of a young woman’s struggles to reclaim what we’ve all lost when “the day th ...more
Alicia Baskel
Dec 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It has been nearly two months since I finished 'This is All He Asks of You' and Luna’s beautiful presence is still haunting me. I find myself longing to embody her commitment to her inner guidance, even (and especially) when it wasn’t convenient. She encourages me to remember a time when it felt like magic was all around me. To remember that I can feel clarity even if it has been overcrowded by expectation, sadness, necessity, reality, grief…

I think of Luna often. Thank you Anne Egseth for writ
Dag Bernhard
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anne Egseth

I have never read a book quite like this. Yes - I was drawn into this account given by a young girl in a difficult situation. It is told in simple words that carry a lot of meaning. At times I found it amusing, and a lot of the time I found it strangely moving.

But in an unusual way, the book also made me think about the world we live in, who I am, and what kind of human being I could be … And like many a good story, it made me anxious to know how it all ended!

• Betty
  • Ordinary Hazards
  • Magic Lessons (Practical Magic, #0.1)
  • Migrations
  • The Secret of The Alchemist: Uncovering the Secret in Paulo Coelho's Bestselling Novel 'the Alchemist'
  • Don't Look for Me
  • The Book of Two Ways
  • The Suicide House
  • Sister Dear
  • Hydrants
Growing up in Norway, Anne Egseth moved to London to become a classically trained actress. After performing for two decades in theaters in the UK and Scandinavia, she relocated to Washington DC where she started writing, teaching and coaching. She now lives in San Diego, California, with her husband and daughter. This Is All He Asks of You is her debut novel.