Start by marking “Beast (Six Stories, #4)” as Want to Read:
Beast (Six Stories, #4)

Beast

(Six Stories #4)

Elusive online journalist Scott King examines the chilling case of a young vlogger found frozen to death in the legendary local ‘vampire tower’, in another explosive episode of Six Stories…

In the wake of the 'Beast from the East' cold snap that ravaged the UK in 2018, a grisly discovery was made in a ruin on the Northumbrian coast. Twenty-four-year-old vlogger, Elizabeth
Published February 6th 2020 by Orenda Books (first published December 24th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Beast, please sign up.
Daren Sadie is a YA novel that's told in the podcast format. Not as literally a podcast as this series, but still has the interview/interviewee format, as w…moreSadie is a YA novel that's told in the podcast format. Not as literally a podcast as this series, but still has the interview/interviewee format, as well as POV takes from the podcaster and the missing subject of the story.(less)

Start your review of Beast (Six Stories, #4)
Michelle
Jan 07, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bought-own
"Welcome to Six Stories. I’m Scott King. Over the next six weeks we are going to look back at the brutal murder of Elizabeth Barton in 2018. We’re going to examine the events that led up to her death from six different perspectives, through six pairs of eyes."

Guys, I can't even begin to tell you how excited I was to discover another installment to the Six Stories series. The truth is that I am not a "series" person and I no longer request books if I know that they will be part of a series. I
Blair
(3.5) Over the last few years, Matt Wesolowski's Six Stories books have become a winter tradition for me, and last year's Changeling was the highlight of the series so far. Not only was it an astoundingly clever and cunning piece of storytelling, it also brought podcast host Scott King to the fore, integrating the series' narrator into the story ingeniously. I reread it over Christmas, and I still find it astonishing.

I mention all this because Changeling was always going to be a very tough a
Lisa
Jun 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another briliant installment of six stories (set out like a podcast) where journalist Scott King revisits a crime and tries to unravel a mystery that may or may not need further investigation following a police conviction.
It's a murder case that somebody wants re-opened despite the perpetrator's trial and subsequent punishment...what is going on and why does someone want this to be re-examined??
This is a series that is very media-centric which provides it's own tangents and mis-directio
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
This review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Six Stories is a popular podcast hosted by Scott King. The premise is simple, six stories from six different people all with links to a specific case told over six episodes. King uses the podcast to look into cold cases and unsolved mysteries where he delves deep in search of answers to unanswered questions and the truth surrounded the case.

Beast is the fourth book in the Six Stories series.
Louise Beech
Jan 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Oh my God. I get so excited when a Wesolowski comes out and he always goes RIGHT TO THE TOP of my book pile. And this was worth putting everything aside for. He is a genius. He always takes a traditional legend or tale and tells it with a shocking or surprising modern day slant. This time we have vampires. And boy, do they live among us. That is ALL I will say. I can't believe I'll have to wait another year for his next one! WRITE FASTER MAN! ...more
Eva
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Goodness gracious me. What do they put in Matt Wesolowski’s food?!

Another year, another episode in the absolutely brilliant Six Stories series. If you’re not reading this series, I’m judging you like you wouldn’t believe. And if this fourth book in the series doesn’t get under your skin and make you think about the truly warped-up world we live in these days, there is something really wrong with you.

Scott King, our not-so-much-elusive-anymore online podcaster, travels to the, quite frankly, utte
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an absolute Beast!  Fist bumps all round to Matt Wesolowski.  The premise of a pod cast that investigates true crime is always going to warm my soul.  This is my first rodeo reading this author, but it will not be the last.  I’m going to immediately order the six stories series.  Rest assured you can read this as a standalone, I did, and I didn’t find myself grappling for more back story information.

This book has everything to get you through the remainder of the cold winter dark nights.
Brittany (UnderTheRadarBooks)
I don’t know what it is exactly about these books that just work for me. Maybe the format? The pace? The mystery? A touch of supernatural? Whatever it is, keep them coming Matt!
Shalini
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
WHAT THE FREAK!! This was bloody brilliant, if I may say so. Matt Wesolowski is one mad-hatter with a concept so far out that I was blown out of my F mind. I started with this book before I went back to read book 1.

A girl frozen to death and three accused with 6 witnesses and a journalist with his own crime podcast were all in this book. 6 stories from the witnesses and I was capitulated into a different world so away from my reality.

My first book by this author, I bought the first 3 books, whic
Yvonne (It's All About Books)

Finished reading: January 21st 2020

"All anyone has to say is that they wonder why they did it, those three. That’s how it is these days. The killers become the story. The criminals are more exciting than the victims."

*** A copy of this book was kindly provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! ***

(view spoiler)
Paula
Jan 21, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is the second one in the series I´ve read,and my thoughts are the same: good build up,and the solves/endings are rather lame. The kind of book you enjoy while you´re reading it, and the minute you finish it you think "Was that it?"
An extra star for the original approach.
Kelly Van Damme
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m pretty sure the format is fairly well known by now, but for those of you who are new to the series: Six Stories is a fictional podcast hosted and created by Scott King. Beast is Scott King’s fourth outing, and I’m here to tell you: I’m ready for however many more Matt Wesolowski can come up with! As always, Scott King talks to six people who each tell him (and us) their story, their side of the events. The case at hand seems pretty cut and dried, rather black and white, a girl is dead and he ...more
Thebooktrail
Visit the locations in BEAST the novel

Just when you think it's safe to venture back onto the Northumberland coast and moors....

Six Stories is a series that just keeps getting better and better. This arrived just before Christmas and I immediately wanted to dive in. Vampires and legends in Northumberland? Yes please? A vlogger found in a pele tower? A youngsters prank gone wrong? The blurb says the book will look at our obsession with needing attention on social media so there's the modern angle
Anjali (bookstersisters)
Jul 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a bit predictable compared to the rest of the series but I still enjoyed the format and the narration, especially how the various characters take shape with each interviewee.
Rating : 3.5 stars
Rowena Hoseason
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Like the recent reinterpretations of Sherlock and Dracula, this episode of Six Stories sucks the marrow out of the original literary classic – and concocts a potent brew mixed with nasty contemporary issues. There are plenty of tributes to Bram Stoker’s story; Beast is even set in a northern seaside town not entirely unlike Whitby. But this isn’t a simple re-tread of an old tale – it’s an entirely modern slice of malicious mythology.

Nor does author Matt Wesolowski restrict his arch references to
Richard Murphy
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
Another six stories and another excellent review.

I really really like these books. A clever concept and they are so well written.

This one tells the story of the Ergarth Vampire (or does it) and like all of the other books in this series, the book is basically divided into 6 interviews from people around an event (this time it is a murder of a young lady) and is told from the perspective of Scott King who narrates and interviews the 6 people.

As with the other books in the series, this is not a d
Patricia
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Any one who is familiar with the Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski will expect this current edition to be brilliant. And they would not be wrong. Brilliant, terrifying (in more ways than one), and insightful.

It also brought back the terror of high school and wanting to fit in. As one who went to several schools, I am extremely familiar with that feeling. And extremely familiar with the Elizabeths of this world.

I adored each and every interview and how each one advanced the story. You will e
Sue Wallace
May 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Beast by Matt Wesolowski.
Very good read. Even though this is book 4 in the six stories series I did enjoy it. It was different. 4*.
James
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is the fourth novel in the author’s Six Stories series and once again we’re with podcaster Scott King as he investigates a mysterious event over six episodes, in each one speaking to someone with a different perspective of what occurred.

King has journeyed to the small town of Ergath on the north east coast of England, to investigate the grisly murder of Elizabeth Barton, a beauty and lifestyle YouTube vlogger. Elizabeth was participating in a viral internet challenge, the Dead in Six Days
Alex (ReadingBetweenTheNotes)
First of all, it was delightful to read about the North East of England, where I grew up! It’s always a weirdly awesome feeling, reading about somewhere you know – or is that just me? Not only that but having lived through the ‘Beast from the East’, there was a great sense of reality to this book. It made me feel even more invested.

This sense of place is one of Beast's biggest strengths. Wesolowski really captures the bleakness of the rugged coastal village of Ergarth and it worked so perfectly
Nicki
Feb 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Scott King returns in the latest instalment in the haunting Six Stories pod cast series. In 2018 whilst the Uk was caught in the freezing grip of the Beast From The East, the naked, beheaded body of Vlogger Elizabeth Barton was discoved in Tankerville Tower. A crumbling eye sore that stands on the cliff and overlooks the coastal town of Ergarth on the North - West coast of England. Scott had previously looked into the case before but because three young men had already been charged and convicted ...more
Danielle
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Holds on to breaches and rolls from heal to toes* Well, what do we have here? Another chilling Wesolowski rollercoaster, that's what we have. How does he do it? It's an unbelievable talent it is, through the use of his words Matt executes an unsettling read that entwines aspects of societal issues with the snowy covering of horrifying warpness! Through multi-narration, including that of Scott King and six individual's close to the victim in question - YouTube channel host, Elizabeth Barton, as ...more
The Book Review Café
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-series, horror
The Six Stories series by Matt Wesolowski is one of my favourite crime series EVER! It’s deliciously dark, extremely imaginative, each book has been beyond riveting. Beast like the other books in the series features modern day themes, combined with darkest folklore, and yet again the author’s vivid imagination propels the reader into a plot that’s marked by an unrelenting bleakness, and yet Beast makes for an all consuming read.

Six Stories is precisely that, Six Stories told from the perspective
Between The Pages Book Club (Gemma M)
I have been waiting for so long for this book I just couldn’t wait to read it and had to sneak it in before the end of the year. Boy I was not disappointed. Kept me up late into the night reading it. I am absolutely loving this series, it just gets better and better doesn’t it? Very happy. Very impressed. The perfect book to end the year on.
As usual brilliantly written, gripping, thrilling and chilling. A real page turner. I was hooked. I needed to know the answers as much as Scott. The outcome
Dale Robertson
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Once again, another superb twisty, creepy tale. This time involving a vampire! Is it real, is it not? Pick up the book to find out. Go on, i dare ya!

The writing is brilliant, the story itself intertwines so much i genuinely don't know how Matt kept track of it whilst writing. Whatever his methods, the end product is one of beauty.

There's a real lesson in this book about society these days and it hits the nail right on the head. All the books in the series have an underlying message and they are
Rachael
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing

I really wanted to read this book as it was the fourth in the series but I was disappointed. I found myself drifting off while reading and then couldn't wait for the book to be over. Book three was definitely my favourite but sadly I was completely let down by book four.
I think the concept of a podcast is a great idea but now I think it has lost its appeal.
Annie Doyle
Jul 17, 2020 rated it really liked it

Another fabulous episode of Six Stories. The clever podcast structure makes the story zip along, as the perspectives of different characters on the same incident are revealed. Contemporary issues, expertly interwoven with folklore, fantasy, horror and good old-fashioned storytelling, make for a compelling read.
Pam Fox
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beast is the fourth book in the Six Stories series written by Matt Wesolowski. It's the first one I've read and although there are references to things from previous books it easily stands alone, though now that I've read this, I'll definitely be going back to Book 1 and starting the series.
It's an interesting format, not like anything I've read before and I really enjoyed it. It has a fresh perspective on the usual crime book, looking at a solved murder case through the eyes of those involved.
S
Jessica
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Journalist Scott King has returned with another installment of his podcast, Six Stories. This time around he has chosen to focus on a chilling case involving a young woman who was found frozen to death in 2018. During an intense winter storm nicknamed the “Beast from the East”, the small town of Ergarth falls under the spell of an internet challenge called the Dead in Six Days challenge. The focus is on a chain of pranks being sent to those participating. These pranks must be completed and put o ...more
Lel Budge
Feb 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#4 in the Six Stories series and can be read as a stand-alone. But, in my opinion you are missing out on a fantastic series if you don’t also read the previous three books.

This really is an amazing read. Written as a series of podcasts by Scott King, with each episode an interview with one of six people. Witnesses, friends, family and acquaintances of the victim.

Lizzie B is a vlogger, with a large following, she’s beautiful, kind and very popular. She is taking part in the Dead In Six Days chall
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Hinton Hollow Death Trip (Detective Sergeant Pace #3)
  • I Am Dust
  • Ash Mountain
  • Containment (Sam Shephard #3)
  • Deep Dark Night (Lori Anderson)
  • The Colour of Bee Larkham’s Murder
  • Mexikoring (Chas Riley, #8)
  • Nothing Important Happened Today (Detective Sergeant Pace, #2)
  • A Dark Matter
  • Black River
  • The Waiting Rooms
  • The Big Chill
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Home
  • Deathly Affair (DI Geraldine Steel, #13)
  • Expectation
  • The Liar’s Daughter
  • My Friend Anna: The True Story of a Fake Heiress
Matt Wesolowski is an author from Newcastle-Upon-Tyne in the UK. He is an English tutor for young people in care.

'Six Stories' was published by Orenda Books in the spring of 2016 with follow-up ‘Hydra’ published in the winter of 2017, 'Changeling' in 2018, 'Beast' in 2019 and 'Deity in 2020

‘Six Stories’ has been optioned by a major Hollywood studio; ‘Changeling’ was longlisted for the Theakston O

Six Stories (5 books)
  • Six Stories (Six Stories, #1)
  • Hydra (Six Stories, #2)
  • Changeling (Six Stories, #3)
  • Deity (Six Stories #5)