Start by marking “Moon In Bastet” as Want to Read:
Moon In Bastet

Moon In Bastet

A memoir turned into thrilling fiction; Moon in Bastet is based on the life of author E. S. Danon. The story follows a fourteen-year-old girl named Eva, an orphan living in the Negev desert of Israel who is working as a custodian of Cirque Du Christianisme.

Her life is controlled by a volatile drunk named Bella who favors a group of equally volatile teenage bullies, the Ch
Kindle Edition, First Edition
Published September 29th 2020 by Hurn Publications

To ask other readers questions about Moon In Bastet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Moon In Bastet

Start your review of Moon In Bastet
Tara Torres
Jul 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"You will find all of the answers you need in the darkest night of your soul. Change is inevitable; everything that happens - happens for a reason. Don't be afraid of anything, not even death. For death is only the start of another life."

E.S. Danon has taken her the story of her life and weaved it into an incredible tale of magic and mysticism. The author has created a work of fiction that explores many real world issues; the oppression of women, the complicated nature of friendships, child neg
Elizabeth Dudley
Jul 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
10/10! What an amazing book to read! Once I started reading, I couldn’t put the book down. While the book is fictitious, the connections to religious discrimination, sexism and the author’s life was eye opening. The character development of Eva is inspiring as she fights societal demands to find her true identity. I cannot wait to read the second book, Sun in Anubis, and read how Eva and Jack’s brother-sister relationship blossoms as Eva continues to find herself. I recommend everyone to read th ...more
Bohdana
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: like to read about mysticism, mythology, religion, memoirs
A very interesting book, I love learning little things that are scattered throughout a book so this was a treat for me. Moon In Bastet is an allegorical memoir. It raises themes of sexism, abuse, social tensions, disability, family, mysticism, and identity. The book is detailed in it's descriptions. The setting was interesting, I think the book did well in creating it's intended atmosphere. (view spoiler) ...more
Amirah
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had a very unique experience reading this book. This author deserves many praises for writing a story about inequalities of the Sexes regarding chores, Religion, and freedom too be yourself. Eva cleaned up the circus area while the men were so awful to her and bullied her throughout her daily routine. This within itself is reason enough to read this book. Eva is only 13 years old, but she managed to always hold on to her religious beliefs. Eva prayed on a continuous basis at some points in the ...more
Alicia Fadgen
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love this story! The attention to detail was amazing! It was also very educational and magical at the same time. I am on the edge of my seat for the next book! I look forward to reading it! Highly recommend!
Jenna Rideout
Oct 04, 2020 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy of Moon In Bastet in exchange for an honest review as part of my participation in a blog tour for this title with Silver Dagger Book Tours. Thank you to E.S. Danon and Silver Dagger Book Tours for making it possible for me to read this great book! To be completely honest, I've been returning to the tour booking page for this title with Silver Dagger for weeks wondering when the stops would be announced and if I would get a copy and nervously resisted double booking mysel ...more
E.S. Danon
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
James
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I don't say this a lot about books, but this one was absolutely beautiful.

The symbolism and mysticism you'll find in this book is quite like non-other that I've ever found before. I do personally feel like this book is quite the gem.

I myself am not Jewish, and you can tell by my name that I am not a woman. So, the issues of sexism and antisemitism are not hatreds that I have myself experienced. I do however have a wife I love and friends who are Jewish. I find that I often try to educate myself
Disa Travis
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moon In Bastet is inspiring, stunning and thought-provoking!

I swear with this book...ugh. I cannot express my love enough for the writer and her honesty and unique approach in telling her own story through fiction.

I found this story absolutely beautiful because it touches on so many important topics, including strength-of-self and listening to our own intuitions.

The information about the Women of the Wall was wonderful to learn about and I'm so glad it was included in the book. I'll be looking m
Hurn Publications
Nov 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moon In Bastet is inspiring, stunning and thought-provoking!

Liz
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
..."Don't be afraid of anything, not even death..."

E.S. Danon has very originally created a new type of memoir with this magical, mystical and majestic work of art!

She's exploring the real-world issues many women face, and more specifically Sepharic/Jewish women face within and outside of their own religion. Don't get me wrong, any one of any gender will enjoy this story, I just personally found it resonating within me because of my own personal struggles reflected in the main character, Eva.

Als
Margaret
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Moon In Bastet deserves every praise it receives!

E.S. Danon has written an amazing story about inequalities of the sexes and between religions in a way that no matter who you are you can truly understand we're all just humans on this planet.

On the other hand, there is so much magical and mythical detail within the book that you don't feel preached to or that you're in the middle of a women's studies class. The amount of mysticism and symbolism weaved within this whimsical tale is a talent within
Sabrina Bryan
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was so surprised by how much I ended up loving this book!

Not because it didn't sound good in the beginning but because we are reading along with Eva and some of her hardest life scenarios. It's not all sunshine and rainbows for this poor kid but I wasn't left depressed and sad.

It left me with hope and love and this.....power of self?

Moon In Bastet felt like it woke up something within me and I'm excited to read the next book in the series!
Miriam A Maddock
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
With little knowledge of Jewish religion and mysticism, my eyes were opened to it, after reading this book. E.S. Danon knows how to target her young audience in this exciting YA story. It’s primarily based around a young girl, Eva—a fourteen-year-old orphan who has to learn to survive the harsh reality of her circumstances: being bullied, neglected and abused by those she’s been forced to live with—ignorant individuals who have no time for her. However, she has a true friend in Jack—a thirteen-y ...more
Dorothy J
Oct 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book, It definitely brings your attention to many questions. I find it was beautifully written and a must read for moon lovers.
@tisonlyme143
Brooke
Mar 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Judaism is not just a religion. It's a culture. A remembrance. I believe that a Jew's DNA still remembers all of our exiles. Our genocides. Our strength."

This book was totally out of my comfort zone. I don't typically read mystic fiction, but I picked this up because I wanted a book with Jewish rep and because I've interacted with E.S. Danon a couple times on social media and wanted to support her. I didn't really know what I was going to get into, but I couldn't put it down.

From the first page
Aliza Einhorn
Jun 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! Highly recommend. Can’t wait for her next book which hopefully will be soon!
Om Kini
Oct 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book revolves around Eva, an orphan who lives in Negev dessert of Israel. She is controlled by bella. Eva works as a custodian of Cirque Du Christianisme along with some teenagers who constantly bullies her. Here she meets jack, a thirteen years old boy with whom Eva creates an unbreakable bond.

In the middle of Nowhere Eva comes across one cat who saves her life. she decided to adopt that cat as she is under the eye of Bella, she has to be careful that the cat is not noticed.

Eva, Jack and c
E.I.Q. E.I.Q.
Mar 16, 2021 rated it really liked it
This story was unlike anything I've ever read. I felt thrust into a world I knew nothing about and barely understood, pulled by the imagery and descriptive language to keep reading. I won't pretend I fully followed along with the plot, but the twists and turns surprised me.
It was more emotional and painful than I expected for a story revolving around such a young character. I felt Eva was portrayed realistically because of this, rather than a watered down, idealized version of a girl her age and
Elizabeth Suggs
Jun 15, 2021 rated it liked it
Moon In Bastet by E.S. Danon is a memoir turned thrilling fiction about the author’s life.

We follow an orphan fourteen-year-old girl named Eva who lives in the Negev desert of Israel and works as a custodian of Cirque Du Christianisme, controlled by a drunk woman. Eva's only reprieve from her life is her thirteen-year-old friend Jack and a small cohort of Bedouin sister-wives.

There's mystery, magic, and symbolism all compounded into one fantastic book. Danon's prologue is powerful, with poetic
Jessica
Absolutely loved it! Everytime I opened the book I was immediately sucked in to Eva's world. I could feel the sand on my feet as Eva walked over the dunes in the desert. I could also feel her pain as she dealt with many unfortunate circumstances in her life from having no real family to dealing with religious oppression. Thankfully she had her trusty sidekick Jack to encourage her through her struggles regardless of their slightly complicated relationship. I thoroughly enjoyed learning tid bits ...more
Maryam Jacobs
Jul 15, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Love this story! The attention to detail was amazing and it was so magical. I am so excited that the author is writing another one.

Absolutely cannot recommend this book highly enough!
Suhas Kataria
Sep 28, 2020

• Pairs With Life
  • Santa: An Interview
  • The Rainbow Bubble
  • Tiger Stripes: A New Kind of Memoir About Addiction, Madness, and the Fight for Life
  • The Chaos Coordinator's Wedding Planner
  • Seven Days in June
  • Madame Fiocca
  • Ben Braver and the Vortex of Doom (Ben Braver, #3)
  • Hannah Goodheart and the Guardian of Time (Hannah Goodheart, #1)
  • Defy the Sun (The Offering Series, #2)
  • The Ghosts of Saratoga
  • Dark Secret (Darkhaven Saga, #1)
  • The Complete Ketogenic Diet for Beginners: Your Essential Guide to Living the Keto Lifestyle
  • The DIRTY, LAZY, KETO Cookbook: Bend the Rules to Lose the Weight!
  • Jewish Pride: Rebuilding a People
  • Slumberland
  • A Feast of Phantoms (Lingua Magika, #1)
  • Queen to Ashes (Black Dawn #2)
Elizabeth Danon received her B.S. in Marine Science from Stony Brook University before working as a Marine Biologist for the National Marine Fisheries Service. She traveled the U.S. Eastern Seaboard and Gulf of Mexico: collecting data aboard commercial fishing vessels and dredges.

When that didn’t pan out to be the glorified job that she expected, finding herself covered in shark snot and fish sca

News & Interviews