Start by marking “Advaita Vedanta: A Philosophical Reconstruction” as Want to Read:
Advaita Vedanta: A Philosophical Reconstruction

Advaita Vedanta: A Philosophical Reconstruction

An introduction to the several systems of classical Indian thought such as Professor Deutsch provides.
Published December 1st 1980 by University of Hawaii Press (first published 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Advaita Vedanta, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Advaita Vedanta

Rama
The wisdom of Hindu Philosophy: School of Advaita Vedanta

Advaita (no twoness) is a non-dualistic system of Vedanta expounded largely by Adi Shankara, although this concept was first proposed by sages like Yajñavalkya, Uddalaka, and Bādarāyaņa. The substance of this system of thought is that the physical reality that describes the universe with living entities, matter and energy, and cosmic structures is due to One Supreme Consciousness pervading the universe. It is referred to as Brahman. Brahm
Jean Paul Govè
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Probably a good introduction of Advaita Vedanta (Indian religious "monist" non-dualist idealist philosophy), but I have nothing to compare against, and I still have to read the last two chapters.. The book requires a more critical attitude - it does critique some ideas, some (such as karma and samsara) more than others, but somewhat half-heartedly. One of the problems I had was that there seem to be multiple explanations for the same things - for example, the world is understood as nirguna Brahm ...more
Rogier
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing
For me this was a wonderful refresher, and I imagine it is a great introduction for anyone. Being an ACIM student, I find the more modern statement of the Course more helpful, moreover the way it deals with the making of the World definitely seems more helpful to me. In retrospect, small wonder however, that I felt attracted to Advaita Vedanta very early on in life.
I could imagine that for many Course students this little book would be of interest as it provides an immediate insight in the posit
Travis Hosgood
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some unbelievable work here. This is a lifelong guide to accessing the real. As far as self-realization goes I don't think that any system of symbols has ever completely and accurately defined the path for everyone, but this is damn close. "Who are you?--I might silently ask another, and as soon as I make a noise within myself I fail to find the answer. Desires, needs, attachments well up within me and bind me to what I should not be."
Araf Karsh
A good starting point for anyone who wants to dive into the Eastern Mysticism and understand one of the main school of Vedic philosophy. There are 6 school of philosophy in Vedic and Advaita is one of the main proponents. In the most popular 80s science book Tao of Physics by Fritjof Capra, he connects the quantum physics concepts with Advaita vedanta.
Adil
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Short, but serious... Serious, but still accessible. Thought-provoking and clear.
Pythagorean
Aug 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Excellent scholarly (yet highly readable) exposition of Advaita Vedanta. I checked this out through the library but I'll be purchasing my own copy - it's that good.
Russ Bottari
Sep 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I spent a lot of time ...
Reed Kinning
Aaron Terrazas
Jun 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Secret of the Veda
  • The Rationalists: Descartes: Discourse on Method & Meditations; Spinoza: Ethics; Leibniz: Monadology & Discourse on Metaphysics
  • A Comprehensive Manual of Abhidhamma
  • Why Men Fight
  • ESSENTIALS OF PHILOSOPHY: The Basic Concepts of the World's Greatest Thinkers
  • God Is Not Dead: What Quantum Physics Tell Us about Our Origins and How We Should Live
  • Science, Order and Creativity
  • The Principal Upanishads
  • Uncommon Wisdom: Conversations With Remarkable People
  • Shakespeare by Another Name: The Life of Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, the Man Who Was Shakespeare
  • From Plagues to Miracles: The Transformational Journey of Exodus, from the Slavery of Ego to the Promised Land of Spirit
  • Bodhisattva of Compassion: The Mystical Tradition of Kuan Yin (Shambhala Dragon Editions)
  • Religion and Nothingness