Start by marking “The Dark Tide” as Want to Read:
The Dark Tide

The Dark Tide

The Wicked Deep meets A Curse So Dark and Lonely in this gripping, dark fairy-tale fantasy about two girls who must choose between saving themselves, each other, or their sinking island city.

Every year on St. Walpurga's Eve, Caldella's Witch Queen lures a boy back to her palace. An innocent life to be sacrificed on the full moon to keep the island city from

Published August 4th 2020 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Tide, please sign up.

Start your review of The Dark Tide
Melanie

(This was such a thoughtful birthday gift from Pamela!)

"Witches. Murderers. Queens who chained boys to stone pillars and drowned them on full-moon nights."

The Dark Tide centers on an island that relies on a yearly human sacrifice by the witch queen who must fall in love to protect them, except the last few sacrifices haven’t worked because the wrong hearts were broken and now the island cannot stay afloat. Once a year, the witches come and give magic to the is
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
May 31, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: review-copies
The amount of plot holes in this book will trigger your trypophobia.
C.G. Drews
This was so atmospheric and gorgeously written. The prose seriously took my breath away, it just had the gorgeous descriptions I crave in books, and reminded me of Anna Marie McLemore's work. Like let's just introduce you to this witchy, sea wild tale, full of salt and blood and longing girls and aching boys, sacrifices and sinking islands, witches bitter with regret, and girls who want to save the world but ending just breaking everything.

I definitely fell a bit in love with the world. 😍 The w
Ellie (faerieontheshelf)
There is nothing more exciting to me than the premise of a girl going to save a guy, except she falls in love with the 'villain' who is keeping that guy captive instead. And if that villian just happens to be a woman? Exquisite. Also throw in a sinking island city, magical worldbuilding and a stunning cover, and you've got me hook, line and sinker.

I've come out of THE DARK TIDE utterly obsessed with Eva, the Witch Queen. I relate to her a lot, especially in terms of how she views the world. I a
anna (½ of readsrainbow)
rep: bi mc, poc sapphic mc, sapphic parents, side poc characters

rtc but like, the romance sneaks up on u & then just swallows u whole at one point and it's amazing
Boston
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: f-f
And I thought Crier’s War was slow burn 😭
Maëlys
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
☆ 4 / 5 ☆

“She stole courage from the memory often, for small things, like the moment before she stepped out onstage, and big things, like the hours spent waiting while her mothers raced home through a shipwrecking storm. She stole some now as she sailed down the water roads alone in the dark.”

I loved this book a lot and I had such an amazing reading experience with it. I loved the writing and the setting was so atmospheric, it was easy to get lost into this world and this book.

Lina is certai
mahana
Dec 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sapphic, bisexual, lesbian
not to be nsfw on main but i want to r*st my head on eva’s should*r

rep: bi mc, lesbian mc(?)

E.
UPDATE!!

Wow, why didn't anybody tell me this got a cover??? It's so pretty!!

__________________________

sapphic 👀
witches 👀 👀
enemies to lovers 👀 👀 👀 👀
author with Polish-sounding name 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀 👀

__________________________

insta | twitter | blog | booksirens | duolingo
Candace Robinson
Loved the atmosphere of this and the wonderful prose!
Ari
Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Amazon

Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks Fire for this ARC. All thoughts and opinions are mine.

...it often felt like everything exciting, everything that meant anything,
had happened before she was old enough to take part.
The stories were over, the books closed, and she was stuck
living in somebody else's happily ever after.

Every once in a while I read a novel that has all the promise in the world, and yet I can't connect with it for no other reason than the fact
Danielle (yaallegiance)
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Okay, this has WON my heart

I stumbled upon this by chance at a bookstore where it was laying in all its glory on a random table outside the YA section and its cover beckoned me.

This book piqued my interest with its gorgeous cover and grabbed my heart with its enticing synopsis.

I absolutely adore how atmospheric this book was, the writing style only enhanced this as the story continued.

I absolutely loved our cast of characters and I love the topics that Jasinska explores in this book.

Please do yo
˗ˏˋ aphrodite ˊˎ˗
Jun 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
*arc provided by the publisher through net galley, all thoughts are my own*

WHEW, I knew I was gonna like this and I was NOT disappointed.

let me first preface this review by saying that I definitely don’t think this book is perfect nor do I think it will jive with everyone.

it does have inconsistencies with pacing and structure. there were a lot of times where I didn’t really know where the story was going. I think certain elements should have been introduced better and explained better.

BUT.

th
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Gay girls and witch queens, sign me up forever
Jules ✨
Thank you Netgalley and SOURCEBOOKS Fire for the ARC.

not to be nsfw but this is everything i've ever needed.

And I was right. RTC
Lea (drumsofautumn)

“A queen should answer to no one. Not the heavens, not the earth, not the sea. Especially not to something so temperamental as the tide.”

The Dark Tide is a novel that drew me in with its incredible world building and intriguing magic system but ultimately lost me when it comes to the plot.

This novel is about Lina, who fears that her brother will be the boy chosen to be the witch queen's sacrifice to save the island this year. In order to protect him, she gets help from the boy she lo
The Nerd Daily
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Originally published on The Nerd Daily | Review by Annie Deo

The Dark Tide is a stunning fantasy YA debut from Australian author Alicia Jasinska and first in the self-titled series set on the moody atmospheric island city of Caldella.

The Dark Tide offers an exciting and immersive story with a strong feminist slant that subverts common YA tropes and forges its own original path. The two heroines are well-rounded and each demonstrate believable strengths while grappling with their individual fears
Wren (fablesandwren)
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 02-stars, not-shelved
The atmospheric feel of this book was like a mix between Caraval and Three Dark Crowns and the world was so interesting. But the characters felt a little two dimensional to me and I didn’t connect with any of them even tho I truly wanted to. Such a cool concept!
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
You can find this review on my blog Shades of Paper.

“The Witch Queen comes o wings of night. The Witch Queen has your heart’s delight. Hold him, hold him, hold on tight. Hide him, hide him, out of sight.”

I cannot even express how excited I was to pick up this book, because I feel I’m always on the hunt for some sapphic books, and this was supposed to be one but with WITCHES, so I went into it with pretty high expectations, and overall I think it was a great book and I adored the char
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
"sacrifices herself to her sinking island-city's Witch Queen in order to save the boy she likes, but ends up falling in love with the witch herself"

hell yeah babey
Kelly (Diva Booknerd)
The tides begin to rise over the city of Caldella as the eve of Saint Walpurga approaches, the Queen choosing a sacrifice to appease the dark tide.

Lina lives within the village of Caldella, a passionate performance artist who after an altercation with brother Finley, is unable to dance in the festivities. On the eve of Saint Walpurga, Finley evades Lina and despite pleading with her brother to remain at home, Finley escapes into the village to entertain the revellers. Lina and Finley have an int
rachel ☾
i wish i had enjoyed this more but i instantly didn't gel with the writing style or how it was more plot-driven than character-driven. if you love caraval or three dark crown but are looking for something sapphic, i'd highly recommend though. just not my cup of tea

more thoughts tc, probably

◯ Review copy provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

BlogGoodreadsTwitterInstagramThe Book Depository
Megan ❀
Witch queen? A f/f romance? A cover that gives me Shadow and Bone ARC cover vibes? SIGN!!! ME!!! UP!!!
Sasha Zatz
The Dark Tide was an absolutely phenomenal, dark and complex enemies to lovers f/f fantasy that quickly became a new favourite. Once a year, the Witch Queen who rules over the island of Caldella must choose a boy to sacrifice on the full moon. A life to appease the sea that would consume the whole island.
Led by two fierce girls who find themselves falling for each other, with a distinctive magic system and intricate world building, fierce witches, wonderful sibling dynamics and a pet sea monste
laurel [the suspected bibliophile]
DNF at 33%

The world-building is pretty cool (seriously in love with the place names), but honestly I'm going to need a little more to keep me invested despite these really lackluster characters.

Lina's all hot to trot for a boy that she loves despite speaking like, two sentences to him over an evening and fantasizing about him ever since he was the one boy a witch queen sacrificed herself for. And Eva is...ho hum boring.

Maybe it gets better, but I'm not planning on sticking around long enough to
Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
3.75/5

Rtc
Cielo
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Dark Tide is a spooky, magical and atmospheric book about two very opposite girls that fight hard to get what they want, all while trying to fight the feelings slowly growning within them, that might put their plans upside down.

This is a dual-pov story where we get inside the minds of Lina and Eva, the main characters. Lina is a naïve and passionate girl that loves too deeply and would do whatever it takes to protect her loved ones, even when that means sacrifices herself and not making the
Books, Coffee & Passion
I've read The Dark Tide a few months ago but I struggled so much to rate and review it that I decided to reread it again after a while. Finally, I've reread it and I'm still struggling to organize my thoughts about it.
I was really liking the story during the first half of the book but then I felt disconnected. I can't pinpoint the exact moment that my interest in the story started to fade but I'll try to sum up what I liked and disliked.

What I liked:

• Rep (POC; LGBT);
• Captivating premise;
• The
Meaghan
Mar 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
I was expecting a lot from this book (definitely one of my more hyped debuts of 2020), and it honestly met all those expectations.

The writing, while not quite up there with my favorites, was just lyrical enough to carry the fairytale/myth style of this story well. It was also still practical and simple enough to generally understand what was going on, even in fight/action scenes. It definitely, when combined with the story itself, made some scenes hit quite hard, and I loved the style it gave to

• The Winter Duke
  • Iron Heart (Crier's War, #2)
  • Queen of Coin and Whispers
  • Prelude for Lost Souls (Prelude for Lost Souls, #1)
  • Girl, Serpent, Thorn
  • The Midnight Lie (The Midnight Lie, #1)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • The Scapegracers (Scapegracers, #1)
  • Witches of Ash and Ruin
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • 1Q84
  • The Priory of the Orange Tree
  • The Testaments (The Handmaid's Tale, #2)
  • The Falling in Love Montage
  • Ghost Wood Song
  • Cemetery Boys
  • The Starless Sea
  • Dangerous Remedy (Dangerous Remedy, #1)
Alicia Jasinska is a fantasy writer hailing from Sydney, Australia. A library technician by day, she spends her nights writing and hanging upside down from the trapeze and aerial hoop. Her debut YA novel THE DARK TIDE is coming from Sourcebooks FIRE (US) and Penguin Random House Australia (AUS/NZ) in June 2020.

News & Interviews

“People claimed witches were nightmares, dreams, but Eva felt they were closer to plants; wild magic grew inside of each of them, waiting to be harvested in the strands of their hair, their salt tears, their spit and blood.” 8 likes
“The Witch Queen comes on wings of night.
The Witch Queen has your heart's delight.
Hold him, hold him, hold on tight.
Hide him, hide him, out of sight.”
2 likes