Start by marking “The Last Battle (The Chronicles of Narnia #7)” as Want to Read:
The Last Battle (The Chronicles of Narnia #7)

The Last Battle

(The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) #7)

4.02  ·  Rating details ·  222,009 ratings  ·  6,422 reviews
NARNIA ... where the last king makes a stand and sad farewells turn to joy ... where adventures begin again.

The Unicorn says that humans are brought to Narnia only in time of great need - and that time is now. the Great Lion, Aslan, the heart of Narnia, is missing. An impostor roams the land in his place, enslaving Aslan's loyal creatures and spreading treachery and lies.
Paperback, Full-colour Collector's Edition, 192 pages
Published 1998 by HarperCollins (first published September 4th 1956)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Battle, please sign up.
Rajiv Moté Yes. C.S. Lewis has such a knack for imagery that evokes a sense of wonder, and it takes a deft hand to show the end of the world as both terrible and…moreYes. C.S. Lewis has such a knack for imagery that evokes a sense of wonder, and it takes a deft hand to show the end of the world as both terrible and beautiful. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was similar, with the undersea mer-kingdom, the sea of white lilies, etc.(less)

·  222,009 ratings  ·  6,422 reviews

Start your review of The Last Battle (The Chronicles of Narnia #7)
Sean Kennedy
Dec 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
When I used to read the Chronicles as a kid, I would usually stop at Dawn Treader or Silver Chair. Now I realise that as a kid I was a lot smarter than I gave myself credit for, for "The Last Battle" is an absolute shocker of a book. It is racist, sexist, fundamentalist rhetoric disguised as children's literature.

Those 'darkies' (yes, that's how they're referred to in the book, along with stinking of 'onions and garlic') are invading Narnia again, at the guidance of a monkey (groan for obvious r
Maria
Sep 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Manny
A dismayingly poor conclusion to the series... I honestly don't understand why a fair number of people apparently like it. (I believe it even won some kind of award). The writing is flat and uninspired compared to the earlier volumes, and the preaching has completely taken over the narrative. Oddly enough, a lot of it also comes across as extremely immoral. Let's not even get into the question of whether the treatment of the Calormenes and their god Tash is racist or bigoted. The thing that real ...more
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Last Battle (Chronicles of Narnia, #7), C.S. Lewis

The Last Battle is a high fantasy novel for children by C. S. Lewis, published by The Bodley Head in 1956. It was the seventh and final novel in the Chronicles of Narnia series.

The Last Battle is set almost entirely in the Narnia world and the English children who participate arrive only in the middle of the narrative.

The novel is set some 200 Narnian years after The Silver Chair and about 2500 years (and 49 Earth years) since the creation
Luke
Dec 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis understands the way the world works better than any other writer I have ever read. It's likely due to his appreciation for story and powerful imagination fed by scripture. This book was eye opening for me to feel truth about how deception and our societies work in rebellion to God, through a fictional story. It was painful to recognize the major battle and struggle that is so slippery and subtle in our own lives. It would feel better to feel the stark good vs evil contrast in the Lion the ...more
Josie
Apr 14, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Roya
Feb 04, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: awful
If I had the energy to describe how bad this is, I still wouldn't be able to describe how bad this is.
¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪SomeBunny Reads (Phoenix)•*¨*•♫♪
“I have come home at last! This is my real country! I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life, though I never knew it till now...Come further up, come further in!”

Aaaah! I can't believe I am done with this series... honestly, I did not expect to be so much involved with it by the end. When I read the first book (I read them in publication order, so my first one was The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe), I thought: "well, this is a cute story, I like it well enough"; th
Iben Frederiksen

The Last Battle, is chronologically the last book in the series of Narnia - it is coincidentaly also perhaps the last book I would ever reread lmao.

Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I found boring and dull, but oh boy at least it didn't make me want to throw it into the sun after reading the last page. I'm giving it two stars instead of one, only because I initially liked where the story was going, as well as enjoying a lot of the newly introduced characters.

- SPOILERS from here on out! -

This book i
Annie
Jul 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this book was so difficult for me to get through. I hated how Narnia had become so tainted. Everything was so utterly depressing, but thankfuly, things did not stay that way. The last half is so wonderful. I hardly knew what to do with myself after reading it for the first time.

Of any of the worlds I've read about, Narnia is the one I would most like to visit or better yet, live in forever. I think that speaks to C.S. Lewis' ability to understand the longing of the human soul t
Karina
Jan 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015
Once I started thinking about racism and degrading other religions I couldn't take this anymore. There was no way to unsee those things and just read it as a fun children's book. What a waste of time. Sorry not sorry.

Oh, and the story itself was boring and aggravating.
Adrian
I've pondered long and hard over this review and the rating. To be honest, it seemed a little short and a little sparse on storyline and (view spoiler)
That said on reflection it was still a good read, we met a few great new characters Puzzle; Poggin; Jewel and Farsight, as well as King Tirian, and we did get to (view spoiler)
Dannii Elle
This is my seventh journey into the fantastical lands of Narnia, as I have chosen to read the series in chronological rather than publication order.

What a fitting end to such an epic series! Despite having a darker message and more serious tone than the other stories, I enjoyed this just as much as the previous books.

It has been centuries since the last sighting of the mystical Aslan and his name has turned from legend to myth. With some falsely using his name and status, and others denouncing h
Rachel  Matthews
Warning: Spoilers.

Okay, before I begin I need to add that I am not Christian or religious. Not even a little bit. That's not to say I completely dismiss the notion that there could be a God, just that I personally do not believe in one.

I loved the Narnia books, especially the ones that centred around the Pevensie children. As a child I'm not sure what my reaction was to The Last Battle, when I was a teenager I read it again and felt a little...uncomfortable.

Now this isn't going to be a slander
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Aug 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Devout Christians? Those Who Want to be Culturally Literate
Allison Tebo
This is only a partial review - someday - I will give this book the full review it deserves.

There are very few books that move me to my core. The depths of sadness and the heights of exhilaration captured in this book never fail to carry me with them.

The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis stirs a part of my soul so deep, so unknown - I can barely explain it. It awakens a desire for a place I have been searching for all my life. Hope soars through me as I stare into utter darkness, and I find myself know
Amber
May 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Kimberly Dawn
Mar 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before.”

——————————————

In the final days of Narnia, many of the Narnians have been deceived by a false prophet, an evil ape named Shift, who devises a plot to turn the people and animals against Aslan, the Great Lion. Eustace a
Piyangie
This final book in the Chronicles is a bittersweet tale. In The Magician's Nephew, the first book of the series in its chronological order, we see the creation of Narnia and in The Last Battle we see the end of it, at least the end of Narnia as we saw created (if that makes any sense). We meet the last King of Narnia, King Tirian, who as a true Narnian fights with valour, although it is a losing battle. It is kind of sad to read the end of Narnia as it was so true and alive to us readers through ...more
Angela Watts
I'm at loss for words. Just... wow. This was incredible. One of my top favorites in this series. It was... Epic. The writing was gorgeous and the characters were amazing and the ending... Fantastic.
Michelle
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a series that ends perfectly, everything nicely tied up and feel good (apart from Susan but every situation has a Susan).

I enjoyed this reread so much, I had totally forgotten how this wrapped up and to see Lucy and Mr Tumnus again was the icing on the cake.

Reading childhood favourites is a risky business but I'm glad I did. While I saw some bits of christianity here and there I didnt find it as extreme as some do, the overriding message I got from this is that Humans are pretty awful i
Daniella
May 08, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die-hard Narnia fans.
I agree with the reviewer who said this was the worst ending ever. Not only does it have the worst ending, but the book itself is the worst ending to any series that I have ever read. Period.

Seriously, Mr. Lewis, what the hell is this though? Aside from the phenomenally craptacular ending--where we're supposed to believe that the very best thing that could possibly happen is for everybody to die--this book was just a whole lot of suck. It seemed to have no point whatsoever, except that Lewis dec
Cindy Rollins
"All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well." Julian of Norwich

Here is CS Lewis's attmept to comfort us with visions of heavenly truth. I think he succeeds. The first time I ever really desired Heaven was after reading this as a 19yo young married girl. Today as I finished reading it to my student, I felt my heart ache again longingly. I ache for that heavenly realty.

As I read off each of the people the children were finding in the "further up and further in"
Jenna Leigh
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

SPOILERS! Don't keep reading if you don't like 'em!

Gosh, I love The Last Battle. As a Christian, Aslan's compassion and mercy in all of the books is moving, but it is especially highlighted in this novel.

Some people may not like the ending. I know my sister didn't, especially because of the fact that Susan isn't brought into the new Narnia with the other Pevensie children. My thought has always been(and this is purely my own interpretation/speculation) that Susan will eventually be saved. She i
Shannon (leaninglights)
I finally saw how it all ended. After almost 20 years it feels amazing. I thought CS Lewis' interpretation of the end times was beautiful. The story was definitely more focused and serious in tone than many of the other books but I have to tell you that I loved it. Overall, I would probably give it a 4.75 stars! :)
MissBecka
This is narrated by Patrick Stewart, all my favourite characters make an appearance and there is a Unicorn in the book!
Not even Eustace can ruin that combo.
Shruti
Jul 15, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-series
Are you kidding me??!!! What even?!

Really conflicted on how to rate this one. Keep switching back and forth between 2 and 3 stars. Ugh. Glad I didn't read this as a kid. What a way to end a children's series!
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Am I the only one who felt punched in the gut by that ending??

YouTube | Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Snapchat @miranda.reads

Happy Reading!
Elaina
Whew....those last couple pages though 😯😅

It feels like such a long time since I first got into this series....

Initially, I was thinking this was only going to be a 4 star read, but once I started getting near the end I enjoyed it a lot more. I was hoping that the Pevensies would have more page time, but I was happy they were at least in it for a little while. (view spoiler)
Jehan
Mar 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I dislike the conclusion of this series but still, it deserves a 5* rating for me since I base it to the wisdom I got and not because of the emotions that left in me after reading the last word at the end.

In my opinion, this book tells not just about Christianity but also as a human being. Why? It’s because Christians are not the only people in this world who have faith. Just like the dwarves in this book, they lose faith after they’ve been deceived once. And like Susan who simply turns her bac
The Chronicles of...: The Last Battle - book 7 6 5 Jun 09, 2020 05:32AM
From a storytelling perspective(not allegorical), do you agree with the ending? 5 48 Feb 26, 2020 09:18PM
Fantasy Buddy Reads: The Last Battle [Nov 16, 2018] 3 33 Nov 12, 2019 03:49PM
The Magic Rings (SPOILERS) 3 47 Oct 30, 2016 06:37PM
Susan Pevensee 14 200 Apr 02, 2016 08:28AM

• The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • The Two Towers (The Lord of the Rings, #2)
  • The Silver Chair (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #6)
  • A Family Guide to Narnia: Biblical Truths in C.S. Lewis's the Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Radio Theatre's Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Brisingr (The Inheritance Cycle, #3)
  • The Tales of Beedle the Bard (Hogwarts Library)
  • Eldest (The Inheritance Cycle, #2)
  • The Silmarillion
  • The Last Olympian (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #5)
  • Companion to Narnia: A Complete Guide to the Magical World of C.S. Lewis's The Chronicles of Narnia
  • The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (The Hunger Games, #0)
  • The First Fowler (Green Ember Archer #2)
  • Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2)

Clive Staples Lewis was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature at Cambridge

The Chronicles of Narnia (Publication Order) (7 books)
  • The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1)
  • Prince Caspian (Chronicles of Narnia, #2)
  • The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (Chronicles of Narnia, #3)
  • The Silver Chair (Chronicles of Narnia, #4)
  • The Horse and His Boy (Chronicles of Narnia, #5)
  • The Magician's Nephew (Chronicles of Narnia, #6)