Start by marking “Number's Up (Barrow Bay Mysteries #1)” as Want to Read:
Number's Up (Barrow Bay Mysteries #1)

Number's Up

(Barrow Bay Mysteries #1)

Jennifer Ward’s To Do List:
1) Turn in my business partner and his lying, cheating, law-breaking client to the SEC for insider trading.
2)Cooperate with the FBI. Do not kiss - scratch that. Do not yell at Special Agent Nicholas Kelly, the FBI agent leading said investigation.
3) Discover a dead body...

Jennifer Ward, MBA, CPA, and business consultant, likes a nice, orderl
Published August 13th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Number's Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Number's Up

Start your review of Number's Up (Barrow Bay Mysteries #1)
Hilary (A Wytch's Book Review)
Aug 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cozy-work
Annabelle Hunter's books are fun, frothy, romantic and murderous, oh and short enough to read quickly!

This book provides the background that was touched on in the second Lark Davies book (Stir Up), Jen has discovered anomalies in some accounts, that seem to indicate dodgy accounting at best, insider trading and money laundering seems more likely! So to Barrow Bay comes the FBI and SEC, the FBI agent (Nic Kelly) gets under Jen's skin but seems to be accepted by pretty much everyone else (oh and t
Sue
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-challenge
Three weeks ago Jennifer Ward turned her business partner (Henry) into the SEC for insider trading. Now she has the FBI breathing down her neck trying to see if she was also involved, but that all changes when Jen discovers her business partner dead in his hotel room. Is this a cover-up by someone not wanting the truth to be unearthed? And is Jen next on the killer’s list?

This is the first book in the new Barrow Bay mystery series. It is filled with crazy and quirky characters, a by the numbers
Karen (BaronessBookTrove)
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I voluntarily reviewed an Advance Reader Copy from the Great Escapes Book Tours. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. Number's Up is the perfect laugh out loud funny book. It is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
Number's Up by Annabelle Hunter is a witty, faced-paced mystery filled with humor, romance and the perfect amount of snark. I loved all the quirky character that fill up this delightful town of Barrow Bay.
Jennifer Ward
Jen is an accountant, sh
Jodi Sweet
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love Annabelle Hunter’s books and this one was great! This book is about Lark’s best friend, Jen, and her issues with finding out about insider trading going on in the CPA firm she co-owned. Nick is the FBI officer investigating...or as she likes to call him, Satan. Hey, it’s shorter than Officer Ass Hat! I love the funny bantering between Jen and Lark and Nic. It makes the book a joy to read. And when Jen met the drag queen, that was priceless! I so wish this was a real town to move too. I’d ...more
Fee (Ebook Addicts)
This is my first book by Annabelle Hunter and it certainly will not be the last. Number's Up book 1 in the Barrow Bay Mystery series, was down right filled with laughs, dark humour, murder and little hint of romance thrown in for good measure. Jen is a CPA who discovers her business partner was doing a little inside trading on the side for clients, following her tip the FBI descends on her with the hunky Agent Nic in tow.

I am in love with all the characters in this book as well as the quirky lit
Valerie Nicole
May 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
I don't know what it was about this story but it just didn't do it for me. I wish there would have been more of an emphasis on the murder mystery aspect rather than the two main characters Jen and Nic bickering back and forth all the time. The beginning was a bit interesting to follow only because it starts then we jump there weeks and the real story begins. But it's pretty easy to figure out. Midway through the story, it drags a little but it picks back up thankfully. It's was a cute story and ...more
Jana Gundy
Jul 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Funny witty and a good time!

Jen is a by the books lady and when she turns in her partner for fraud, little does she know it will turn her life upside down. A smug and good looking detective comes to town and makes it even harder for her to get on with her life. If you love snark, sarcasm and mysteries, you’ll love this.
Susan Pierce
Apr 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable

This is new author for me, and I have enjoyed all 4 books of this series. The characters are likeable without trying to hard. I enjoy the authors writing style. There is romance without too much detail (if you know what I mean.) There is mystery and intrigue. I did not see the ending coming, unlike so many cozy mysteries. I look forward to more books !
Holly
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a humorous romantic cozy mystery and I loved it! What a refreshing change! Jen is a co-owner of an accounting firm. Her partner Henry is coming to town because he wants to talk to her. Then Henry ends up dead. And Jen’s world begins to fall apart because Henry is accused of insider trading. Nic is an FBI agent assigned to the case. The dialogue between them is snarky and funny. The romance is mostly clean with a few innuendos. There are some twists in the story to keep you guessing. Very ...more
Ashley Carmichael
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great read

I appreciated following g a little of Jen's story. Shesm's a great match for Lark, but has her own style and personality. Nicely written with a good pace.
Mary
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jennifer Ward turns in her business partner for insider trading. She didn't want to do it, but it needed to be done. She had always thought of him as a father figure in her life. During the investigation, the FBI searches her home twice, and one has to wonder if the second search was truly necessary or if the good looking FBI agent Nic was just trying to make contact with her again.

Jennifer's business partner asks for a meeting at a local hotel, which she finds odd, as he rarely comes to town f
Eve Jones
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Suzanne Hare
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A new series by Annabel Hunter, Barrow Bay Mystery, called Number’s Up stars the accountant Jen and F.B.I. agent Nic. This is the second time the F.B.I. has shown up with a warrant to Jen’s home and place of business. Nic is there pushing all her buttons. She was the one who called in the tip her business partner and mentor was cooking the books. She has a meeting with her partner and goes to it hoping to get answers, only instead she finds the dead body of her partner. Good thing Nic was follow ...more
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Snarky and sarcastic, a bit of dark humor but oh so much fun!
This time it is not Lark in trouble, although she is still under close observation by the town and law enforcement. Her best friend Jen is taking the heat in this addition to this wacky series.

Jen has a strong moral code and has turned in her business partner for insider trading, well at least his clients. With the business under a microscope and her long time mentor, partner and friend deeply entangled, it still comes a shock when he
Mave
Jan 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
It was a really enjoyable read, there are some hilarious scenes, like the meeting with the drag queen.

The protagonist is Jen, Lark's best friend (the protagonist of the Lark Davis Series). She discovered insider trading in the company she owns jointly and soon finds her partner dead. She has to investigate and this leads her to confront Nic, FBI agent in charge of finding out what happened.

All the characters are bizarre and funny, I really loved Jen and Nic, the chemistry between them is really
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. A little slow to start, but it picked up momentum as it went along. Story could have been tightened up a bit for smoother reading, but all in all, a good story.

Written as a 1st person, single pov. Good story line, strong characters, descriptions of details was a bit too wordy at times, found myself skimming a time or two.

Would I recommend this book? Yes

Would I read more from this author? Yes

Sassy Beta Reading and Review

I received a free copy of this book via Bookspr
Rekha
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
After Lark's quirky antics, the fans of Annabelle Hunter are introduced to Jen's story in this book. Jen isn't as quirky as Lark and that's the reason I did not enjoy this story as much as I did Lark's. However, there is one character I found adorable and he's none other than Agent Unimportant aka Asshat aka Wolverine aka Cyclops aka (phew!) Nicholas! Jen crossed the line a tad in wooing Nic. The poor chap really had to tolerate her attitude but in the end, it was all worth it.

If given a choice
Minty Fresh Reads
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is my first book by this author and I wasn't disappointed. There was a decent amount of romance to help balance out the mystery that the main character was helping to solve. I definitely wanted to keep reading this to find out in the end whodunit and why. I can't wait to see what the next book in the series is like.

Dorothy  Scott
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Accountant Jen did what was right by giving a tip about shady dealings going on in her firm. Now the FBI is searching her home and questioning her repeatedly. When she finds the body of her boss and mentor, things get decidedly more dangerous. She will have to rely on her own moxie, her friends, and even the snarky FBI agent to help her.

Pat Eroh
Aug 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a great cozy with a great protagonist and, in fact, all of the characters are pretty cool. I loved the storyline, going at a great pace that really kept me reading with interest to the end. This is an excellent cozy!

Thi
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My first book from this author and I loved it! There were times Jennifer was plain ridiculous but I loved her and her quirkiness. Can’t wait to see what’s next.
Peggy
Jul 02, 2020
Anja Jimenez
Aug 21, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• A Hopeless Heist (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 2)
  • A Hopeless Discovery (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 3)
  • A Hopeless Game (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 4)
  • One Hit Wonder: A Samantha True Novel
  • Best Laid Plans: A Samantha True Mystery (A Pacific Northwest Private Investigator Story Book 3)
  • A Hopeless Murder (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 1)
  • A Hopeless Christmas (A Hope Walker Mystery Book 5)
  • Secrets and Stilettos (Murder In Style #1)
  • Riddle Me This (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #2)
  • Lipstick and Lies (Murder In Style #2)
  • All Bets Are Off: A Samantha True Mystery (A Pacific Northwest Private Investigator Story Book 2)
  • Shoot the Breeze (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #1)
  • Scottsdale Secret: a fun, romantic, thrilling, adventure... (Laura Black Mysteries Book 8)
  • Follow the Money (Detective Kate Rosetti Mystery #3)
  • Scottsdale Heat (Laura Black Mysteries, #1)
  • Accidental Lawyer: A humorous peak into Baltimore's legal community, with a thread of mystery
  • Shades of Sunshine (Lola Pink Mysteries #3)
  • Naive in Paradise (Florida Keys #22)

News & Interviews