Start by marking “Breaking The Habit” as Want to Read:
Breaking The Habit

Breaking The Habit

All Isla wanted to do was enjoy her honeymoon. She was looking forward to relaxing on the beach and enjoying cocktails with the love of her life. Instead, she ends up in the middle of the woods in a cozy cabin, where the past she's worked so hard to bury can find her. Turning what should be the best night of her life, into a bloody fight to stay alive.

Cover by Adrian Baldw
Published July 26th 2019 by Demain Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Breaking The Habit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking The Habit

Start your review of Breaking The Habit
Emily
Mar 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Breaking the Habit is the first story I've read by Yolanda Sfetsos, and I loved it! I don't normally enjoy stories about the particular type of horror (I know I'm being vague, but I don't want to spoil it), so I'm shocked by how easily I was swept up in it. This is a good novella, and I recommend picking it up if you're looking for some short horror! I would like to read more from Yolanda in the future.

CW - abuse, rape
Steve Stred
Jul 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
** Edited as review is now live on Kendall Reviews! **

To be honest upfront – I only bought this release to support Yolanda. She’s been someone I’ve interacted with a bunch on Twitter and she’s always been super nice and supportive. I love, love, love supporting those who are super nice, so when this was announced I snagged it. I never read the synopsis but I knew I was in for a treat with the Short Sharp Shocks! Series.

For those who may also grab this and not read the synopsis – the story doesn’
Morgan Tanner
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When a couple travel to a deserted cabin in the dense woodland, you kind of know what’s going to go down there. Supernatural monsters from the trees perhaps? An escaped murderer? A ghost of the former owner? Local rednecks who don’t take kindly to peoples in these here parts?

I went into this great short story with not a clue what was about to unfold. I believed that one of the above-mentioned tropes was going to be present. But alas, I was very wrong!

Isla and Cisco arrive at this ominous-looking
Kev Harrison
Sep 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
The story opens with a wholly believable romance, something which is all too often unseen or unrealistic in horror writing. We meet our protagonist and her new groom, heading off for a surprise honeymoon in the wood and we get a real sense of what they mean to one another and how madly in love they are.
All the while, though, there is this pervasive sense that something is up. Hints are dropped, concern and even alarm are expressed, but nothing is given as to what might be wrong until things real
Christa Wojciechowski
Jul 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Bloody and full of surprises! What starts off as an innocent honeymoon, step by step, descends into darker and more horrific territory. Just when you think you know what's going on, another clue is dropped that disorients you and keeps you devouring each page. Sfetsos does a skillful job of laying a trap for us, demonstrating the battle between carnal urges and morality, and taking one's power back from personal tyranny. I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Demi-Louise Blackburn
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Excellent short piece

Definitely wasn't what I was expecting - but was great nonetheless. The romance was nicely done and the tension building was excellent. Managed to wrap up in a strangely bittersweet but satisfying conclusion. Nice work!
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary |
Not a huge fan of werewolf stories, but this was a mostly entertaining read. For some reason the pacing felt off, though, and I found myself skimming a good bit.
Heather
Aug 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
In Yolanda Sfetsos’s short story (novella?) Breaking The Habit (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 27), Cisco and Isla just got married. Unfortunately, while the two have planned on a honeymoon in the Bahamas, Cisco has decided to surprise Isla with a cabin in the woods. Why unfortunately? Because Isla does not like surprises. And, as it turns out, with good reason. As soon as they arrive, Isla is greeted by a card addressing her as “Lala,” a name that brings up incredibly bad memories. Soon she’s in a fi ...more
Zachary Ashford
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
At this stage of the game, it's always good to see someone putting their own spin on some of the classic monsters and horror tropes. Yolanda definitely does that with Breaking the Habit and it makes for an intelligent read that deals with some pretty heavy themes concerning abusive relationships. Her take on the werewolf curse makes for some nice tension and leaves you with a quick story that's full of twists and turns.

Good stuff.
Apr 18, 2020 rated it did not like it
I was hoping for an Evil Dead situation, but got my least favorite horror subgenre. I could have dealt with that since it's so short, but the writing hurt me from the beginning. It immediately had the corniest dialogue between the couple, and all of the adults talked like kids imagine adults talking. This was not for me at all.
Gothika
Aug 01, 2019
Brittany Lee
Aug 08, 2019
Yolanda Sfetsos
Aug 26, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Pard
Jess
Sep 13, 2020

• Asylum Of Shadows
  • Dirty Paws
  • Where Dragonflies Dance (Claybrook County Chronicles, #2)
  • Something is Killing the Children, Volume One
  • Forfeit Tissue
  • Hearts & Bones
  • Crossroads
  • Zero Saints
  • The Unbeliever & The Intruder (Short Sharp Shocks! Book 39)
  • Little Paranoias
  • Appalachian Horror
  • The Festering Ones
  • The Forest is Hungry
  • The Watcher in the Woods
Wife. Mother. Writer. Bibliophile. Dreamer. Animal lover. Intrigued by the supernatural. Horror freak. Zombie enthusiast. Movie & music fan. Slave to her muse.

I'm an Aussie who loves to write dark tales.

When I'm not writing, I enjoy spending time with my family. I also enjoy going for walks, thrifting, reading, watching movies and checking out new TV shows.

Oh, yeah, and I love collecting books!