Start by marking “Chasing Lucky” as Want to Read:
Chasing Lucky

Chasing Lucky

Budding photographer Josie Saint-Martin has spent half her life with her single mother, moving from city to city. When they return to her historical New England hometown years later to run the family bookstore, Josie knows it’s not forever. Her dreams are on the opposite coast, and she has a plan to get there.

What she doesn’t plan for is a run-in with the town bad boy, Lu
Expected publication: November 10th 2020 by Simon Pulse (first published June 11th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Lucky, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Lucky

Start your review of Chasing Lucky
Nilufer Ozmekik
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I.LOVE. IT. SO.MUCH.
I cannot help myself. I keep dancing, my heart is singing, I’m head over heels for these sweetest characters, hooking story-telling, love at first side charm of Beauty. This book makes you feel like you just recently chased your lucky stars and makes your heart pound faster.

Winona and Josie have no idea when they take their first steps to their hometown they’d left five years ago, they just entered to the highway to hell. Even I could hear AC/DC’s blaring lyrics as a threat.
✨ A ✨
Me: I'm so sick of the stereotypical YA bad boy with his leather jacket, motorcycle, sarcasm and tragic past
Jenn Bennett: May I introduce to you Lucky Karras!!
Me: I've changed my mind

For the last five years Josie Saint-Martin has been living with her single mom going from town to town in New England. Now Josie and her mom are returning to their hometown, Beauty, to run the family bookstore while her grandmother is away. Josie knows that it's only a matter of time before her grandmother returns
jessica
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
lately, ive been feeling waayyyy too old for YA contemporary. theres just been some disconnect that hasnt been there before, so its a relief that JBs stories never fail to deliver.

it could also be that this particular book has so many of my favourite tropes - childhood best friends to lovers, a small town setting, a bad boy with a soft heart, and bookstore quaintness. all of these things have definitely made this one of my favourite JB stories.

this is classic JB - important, heavy topics about
Warda
4.5 ⭐️

Stories written by Jenn Bennett make me so happy. And make me feel so much.

What can I say other than I loved it and I know it will be reread and that sums up how I feel about this book?

Thanks to Simon and Shuster Children’s UK for gifting me with a copy of this book.

———————

Buzzword: Jenn Bennett.
Melanie

ARC provided by the publisher via Edelweiss

I think this was very much the perfect story for me right now at this time. Hopefully a longer review to come before release! <3

Content and Trigger Warnings for talk of loss of a loved one, the sharing of personal photos without consent, abandonment, homelessness, talk of abortion briefly, driving under the influence (the bad guy, and in a negative light), talk of trauma, talk and depiction of depression, talk of grooming (college teacher and student re
Candace Robinson
I’m never let down when I read a Jenn Bennett contemporary so my expectations were pretty high when I started Chasing Lucky! And luckily, it was just as awesome as all her other contemporaries!

I really liked Josie and being in her head. She had an interesting back story with her secretive mom. Also, as a side note, I’d like a book on Josie’s mom! Anyway, Josie was a photographer and I connected to her right away!

Lucky was the most adorable little thing ever. He has baggage and I wanted to give h
sarah xoxo
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
So... Jenn Bennett has become one of my favourite YA contemporary authors? That title may be a little hasty considering this is only my second book of hers, but I love them so much! While I didn't love this one as much as Starry Eyes, I am convinced that she can do no wrong!

Chasing Lucky follows 17 year old Josie St Martin a budding photographer who, after being constantly on the move for the past 5 years, is returning to her hometown Beauty. This abrupt move was spurred on by her Grandmother ha
preoccupiedbybooks
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 STARS

A cute YA contemporary about falling in love, learning from our mistakes, and the importance of communicating with loved ones.

17 year old Josie Saint Martin is returning to her hometown of Beauty, after leaving town dramatically five years ago with her mother. Since then they have constantly been on the move, but now they are back to run her grandmother's bookstore whilst she is travelling. Josie has plans to go and live with her father on the west coast, to start her career as a photog
Emer (A Little Haze)
I invariably enjoy Jenn Bennett’s contemporary YA novels. And this latest release might be my favourite of them because this story really captured my heart.

The book follows the character of seventeen year old Josie Saint-Martin who returns to her childhood hometown of Beauty after a number of years living from place to place with her mum Winona.

But the reasons for their hasty departure years ago haven’t gone away and somehow Josie has to figure out how to get through these next few months in B
. (not active on this account stop adding me)
me: i'm over ya contemporary

jenn bennett: h-

me: yes
Lia Carstairs
I'm starting to think that maybe Jenn Bennett's books are just not for me.😪

Also why did this feel like the longest book I've ever read?🤔

So many loved Chasing Lucky, so I'm sorry to say that it was kind of a pain to read this. Around like halfway through the book, I really wanted to give up on it and mark it as DNF.
But I decided to push my way through thinking that maybe it'd get better.

Well.......turns out that it did get a little better, but I was still bored. I skimmed some parts too because
Bookphenomena (Micky)
What Jenn Bennett does to my reading soul is simply the best, I can rely on her that her books will hit the spot, make me happy and smile. CHASING LUCKY was no exception and this story of old friends getting to know one another as teens was gorgeous. There was an eclectic story that had Bennett’s characteristic uniqueness and whit; I got wholly wrapped up in all of it.

Lucky was Josie’s best friend until she left town with her mom, age 12. Returning at age 17 was a different experience with Lucky
Emma
Feb 29, 2020 rated it liked it

3.25/5 Stars

Jenn Bennett is definitely one of my favourite contemporary authors, but I was a bit disappointed with this new novel of hers. I truly felt like something was missing in this book and in my opinion there were just a lot of miscommunication and unnecessary drama which is something I don't particularly enjoy.
On a more positive note, I really liked Lucky as a character. I think he was th
Ambriehl Khalil
I don’t really know what to say except that I love everything Jenn Bennett does. She’s by far my favourite y/a contemporary writer and her books are some of my most treasured possessions. No disappointment here, folks.
Caitlin Reads
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Jenn Bennett is one of my favorite young adult authors and Chasing Lucky might be my favorite book yet by her. This book takes place in Beauty, Rhode Island which is basically Newport. Jenn's description of the setting was on point and made me feel like I was just starting a summer in Newport. Josie has just returned to the hometown she left with her mother when she was 12. She has spent the last 5 years jumping from town to town never staying in one place long. When she walks into the bookshop ...more
Kaja (red panda) *:・゚✧
HOW DID THIS BOOK'S ANNOUNCEMENT COMPLETELY ESCAPE ME?

I mean, preorder the first minute I see it available, obviously. It's Jenn Bennett, I'd gladly read her grocery list.
Jaime Arkin
Jenn Bennett does it the best way possible every single time.

It’s a must read friends- pre-order it today!
Susan's Reviews
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for a free ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Another great story from one of my favourite YA authors!

Josie Saint-Martin and Lucky Karras were inseparable as children, but Josie's mother and overbearing grandmother have a huge argument, and the next five years are spent traveling from one town to the other as her mother finds work as a book store manager. Josie is miserable, always on the move, and she misses Lucky. How will he ever
♥Rachel♥
I've tried to get into this one several times, but my heart just isn't in it. YA is so tricky for me, I feel like most of the time I'm just not in the headspace to enjoy or appreciate it, but I love Jenn Bennett's writing so I hoped this was an exception. Loved her previous YA, but this one didn't spark anything in me. I'm moving on after 30%.

A copy was kindly provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Hollis
I started reading this the same day the release date got pushed back to November. I'm not normally this much of a keener.

I went into CHASING LUCKY with a little bit of trepidation as my last few forays with Bennett post-STARRY EYES haven't been great. Some I liked ish, others I didn't at all, so when the first 30% of this book was both not wow'ing me and also veering into not great, uncomfortable, directions? I was anticipating the worst.

But this did, eventually, level out for me. And that up th
Fictional World Dreamer
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
WELL..... that was....... my first read by Jenn Bennett!

So here I am, a few days later and I'm still assessing the story. It was a great story in so many aspects. When I read the synopsis I was immediately obsessed and wanted to read it immediately.
Let just say I wasn't expecting to fall hard for these characters I wasn’t expecting this story to affect me.
But it did! I had been in a book slump for almost month! Nothing I picked up worked for me but Chasing Lucky by Jenn Bennett.

The narrative w
Fizah(Books tales by me)
Jul 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-read
Saint-Martin family’s women are cursed, there is the history they never found true love, or if they did, It didn’t last long. Josie and her Mother are spending their lives in one city or another, they are on the move since they left their hometown beauty. After 5 years they are back in beauty for a year.

Josie met her former BFF Lucky, but 5 years are more than enough for people to change. Beauty is nothing more than a gossiping town. But who cares Josie has other secret plans for her.

The world-b
Kristi Housman Confessions of a YA Reader
At this point, I think I could read Jenn Bennett's grocery list and give it 5 stars.  I can't stress how much I love her books.

What was there to like in Chasing Lucky?  Everything.  The setting, the people, the photography, the drama, and the curse.  I loved it all.

Josie and her mom left Beauty five years earlier after a fight with her grandma.  Josie had no warning and they just left.  Her best friend, Lucky, had recently been in a fire and she couldn't even see him.  They were gone.  She tried
Jules ✨
3.5⭐
I absolutely adored this book. Jenn Bennett is an autobuy author for me so I didn't doubt I would've loved this one as well. We follow Josie and her mother, at the beginning they come back to their hometown after Josie's grandmother and aunt leave for a trip. We find out that Josie's mom had a huge fall out with her mother . And between curses and prejudices against their family, it's all about this family reconnecting. But not only that, Josie and her childhood best friend Lucky, also had a
Stephanie
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
When I pick up a Jenn Bennett book, I expect a cute and quirky story with fun banter and lots of drama. Chasing Lucky was all those things.

What I Liked

-I’ve read some so-so reviews of this book, so I went in with lowered expectations and I think that worked out for me. I enjoyed Chasing Lucky. While it felt a little too long at times, I did fly through this 400+ page book in about 24 hours.

-While Josie did frustrate me (more on that later), she was mostly pretty likable.

-I adored Lucky! He was s
Lisa
Feb 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, 2020
Another Jenn Benn YA swoon romance to love! Plus there’s so much to love about the mother-daughter relationships, a cute Stars Hollow-like town and social status conflicts.

I’m always left wanting more in the best way possible!
Bruna Oliveira
Feb 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Rating: 4/5

Thanks NetGalley and the publisher for the digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

Having read all of the author's previous YA contemporary books and loving two of them - the other two not so much - my expectations for this one were high and I'm so glad to say that I was not disappointed. This was exactly the kind of book I was expecting from the author.

This one is about Josie, who is returning to her hometown with her mother, after jumping from city to city for years. Only that
Kathy - Books & Munches
Feb 12, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: buybuybuy
The only thing I needed to know was the author's name.
The rest doesn't matter, really.

GIMMEH THIS BOOK NOW.
Marie
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-releases, arcs
Real rating: 4,5 stars.
Jenn Bennett never disappoints with her books and Chasing Lucky is definitely one of my favorite of hers. I loved the slow burning childhood friends romance (my! fav!), the complex family ties and the small town setting was wonderful, too. Definitely recommending this one <3

Full review coming soon! :)

Thank you to the publisher & NetGalley for the e-ARC of this book. This did not, in any way, influenced my thoughts and rating.

My Blog - Drizzle & Hurricane Books - Twitter -
Seline
Jun 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THIS BOOK IS SO SWEET AND CUTE!
I LOVE LOVE LOVED LUCKY. He was AMAZING!
This was just the light read I needed right now.

I’ve read Alex Approximately and this book by this author and so far I’ve enjoyed both. I can’t wait to read her other books.

Loved the family interactions here especially Josie and her mum. Her grandmother is an interesting character too.

I really liked Josie too but not as much as Lucky he was something special here and I love how sweet and kind he was. Overall, this was a
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • Meet Me at Midnight
  • Keep My Heart in San Francisco
  • The Bear and the Nightingale (Winternight Trilogy, #1)
  • Biggest Flirts (Superlatives, #1)
  • Why We Broke Up
  • Shine
  • Shark Bait (Grab Your Pole, #1)
  • Play With Me (Grover Beach Team, #1)
  • Fumbled Hearts (Tender Hearts #1)
  • That Boy (That Boy, #1)
  • The Ex Games
  • Say Yes Summer
  • All Our Worst Ideas
  • More Than Maybe
  • Today Tonight Tomorrow
  • Four Days of You and Me
  • Moonlighter (The Company, #1)
Jenn Bennett is the author of over a dozen books, including the young adult titles: ALEX, APPROXIMATELY; STARRY EYES; SERIOUS MOONLIGHT; and THE LADY ROGUE. She also writes romance and fantasy for adults. Her books have earned multiple starred reviews, been Goodreads Choice Award nominees, and have been included on annual Best Book lists for both Kirkus and Publishers Weekly. She lives near Atlant ...more

News & Interviews