Start by marking “Sorcery of a Queen (Dragons of Terra, #2)” as Want to Read:
Sorcery of a Queen (Dragons of Terra, #2)

Sorcery of a Queen

(Dragons of Terra #2)

A fast-paced adventure perfect for comic readers and fans of heroic fantasy

They called her the Witch Queen...

Driven from her kingdom, the would-be queen now seeks haven in the land of her mother, but Ashlyn will not stop until justice has been done. Determined to unlock the secret of powers long thought impossible. Ashlyn bends her will and intellegence to mastering the on
Published August 11th 2020 by Tor Books (first published August 4th 2020)

To ask other readers questions about Sorcery of a Queen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sorcery of a Queen

Start your review of Sorcery of a Queen (Dragons of Terra, #2)
James Tivendale
Jul 25, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: freecopy, fantasy
I received a review copy of Sorcery of a Queen in exchange for an honest review. Thank you to Brian Naslund and Tor.

"Let me get this straight. Sitting on this ship, we have a stranger who claims to be a Witch Queen. An emperor-killing exile. And a notorious thief. In what realm would I bring the three of you within ten leagues of our Eternal Empress Okinu?"

After the battle of Floodhaven, we join Bershad, Ashlyn, and Felgor aboard a ship that's sailing North to Papyria. If you were wondering if
Nils | nilsreviewsit

The battle at Floodhaven is over, the fate of the dragons has been decided, yet in the aftermath the lands of Terra are still on the brink of ruin. Blood is still being shed. A mad scientist plans to make his move and the new Balarian Emperor strikes to gain power over Almira. Infested by war, famine, and an age old conflict between nature and science, our main protagonists embark on a dire quest. Ashlyn, Bershad and Felgor journey to Papyrian in hopes of discovering more about Ashlyn’s new fou
Sahitya
More of a solid 4.5 but I’m rounding up.

I may be a little late with my review but these days, it’s become a norm. But believe me when I tell you that I jumped with joy when I received the ARC for this one because Blood of an Exile was one of my top favorites from last year and I couldn’t wait to see what was gonna happen next. And just as expected, the author didn’t disappoint me at all.

If there’s one thing that stays with you as you read this book is the breakneck pace - there’s just somethin
Mili
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-the-book
Sorcery of a Queen follows the same fun banter with great humor. Surprising fantastical elements keep the plot fresh. There isn't a thing in this series so far that I dislike, strong females, dragons and a lot of focus on nature and magic. Everything I love. There is even in a way an animal companion, loose but it still counts in my eyes haha. I cannnn't wait for the finale, it is turning into a fave series. There is plenty of suspense in the story and lovable characters that I enjoy following, ...more
Bob/Sally
Dec 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-epic
Blood of an Exile sat in my review pile for nearly a year before I finally decided to give it a read, and I only did so because Sorcery of a Queen had caught my eye. It ended up being one of my more pleasant surprises of the year, a book that mixed sword-and-sorcery with grimdark fantasy, dark humor with social awareness.

Having been so delighted by the first book, I’m that much more disappointed with Sorcery of a Queen. It was an okay read, with a few moments of fun and madness that hearken back
Xerxes
Jul 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Tor Books UK, Stephen and Jamie Lee Nardone for sending me an ARC of this wonderful book. All thoughts and opinions are mine only for this review.

Warning: This novel has the following: Experiments! Alchemy! Dragons! Airships! Assassinations, exploding cities, pirates, Felgor! Nasty little Vampire named Verdun, an ambitious lady called Kira and Vera, and the return of glorious young Jolan! Empires fight for incredible stakes, Lords and Dukes fight in epic scale battles, and everythin
Caitlin
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sorcery of a Queen is the second in the Dragons of Terra series, following the Flawless Bershad and Queen Ashlyn on their quest to save dragons, restore Ashlyn to the throne, and unlock the secrets of the sorcery she’s always accused of.

Sorcery of a Queen was such an excellent follow up to Blood of an Exile! I didn’t think it was possible to like a sequel more, but Naslund has done it. This was such a perfect combination of humour, adventure, and some really heartfelt moments.

The alternating c
Ned Lud
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5*. Meet my expectations? Resounding Yes. Exceed my expectations? No. Would I recommend this series? Fuck yes!
When I finally read book three will I forget everything I have read? Without a doubt.
Joe Lindley
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of those books you wish you didn't have to finish. This book doesn't waste time, our protagonists are fighting dragons on the first page. Rather than the usual Dark Lord antagonist we have something more like a mad scientist with the insidious Osyrus Ward & his horrific experiments. Cumberland's wardens reminded me of Rudd Threetrees & his crew from First Law. An exciting page turner, can't wait for book 3 ...more
The Coycaterpillar Reads
Aug 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to Tor UK, Brian Naslund, Jamie-Lee Nardone and Stephen Haskins for a review copy of Sorcery Of A Queen.

“You of all people should know how rumours go. There’s a kernel of truth that gets inflated each time it passes from one drunken mouth to the next, until you have an enormous dragonslayer with a foot-long cock pissing down the neck-stumps of decapitated dragons.”

It has been such a pleasure to be back in the wonderful world of Terra once again. The magic, the dragons, the relationshi
Bethany Andrews
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brian Naslund became one of my favourite authors last year with his debut novel Blood of an Exile. There aren't many books that can put me on an emotional roller-coaster but Naslund has this down to a fine art. With the third word of the sequel being 'goatfuck' we were off to an epic start.

We follow our protagonist Bershad and Queen Ashlyn as they try to regain her throne. There's only one problem? They've been exiled presumed dead.

Naslund's humour rings throughout and if you love the likes of
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader

We start where we’ve left off, Bershad on the run with his Queen lover who is now also on the run herself. The gang is not quite back together, we still have the loss of Rowan and Alfonso to deal with but we have my favorite thief, and we get to know Ashlyn more as well as her sister.

Strong second novel, better than the first not only in plot but character development and it has me so excited to see what happens in the third and final book of the Dragons o
Andrew
Aug 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Full review at The Quill to Live: https://thequilltolive.com/2020/08/11...

The excellence of Sorcery of a Queen is honestly flabbergasting. Queen is the second book in The Dragons of Terra trilogy by Brian Naslund, and it’s a crime that as of writing this review there are only 10 ratings on goodreads. This book does, so, many, things right that it straight up blew my mind. It has incredible characters, exciting action, deep and original worldbuilding, a gripping plot, a compelling antagonist, gre
L.L.
Jan 18, 2021 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
We return to the world of Terra, where dragons and alchemy take centre stage! I gave the first book of the series, Blood of an Exile, a solid four stars.

The final 200 pages or so of Sorcery of a Queen really ramped up everything and gave the book a highly thrilling, enjoyable conclusion. (Aside from the random twist that kinda came out of left field, I loved everything else about the ending).

Firstly, I loved how this was a true sequel in as much as it continued the journey of the characters of t
Lucretia
Jul 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There are no damsels here! I absolutely loved this book and the characters that filled the pages. You know right from the opening line you are in for something different, harder, full of rawr. I hadn't realized it was a part two, but that wasn't a problem as I was instantly pulled into the story and even though it had a good size cast, I wasn't confused.

I enjoy stories where the point of view switches, allowing for a broader exploration of the world and that was used here to great effect. The ac
Gemma McGee
Sorcery of a Queen expands the world of Terra, this book is full of information and revelations that changed the direction of the story.

One of my favourite elements of the story is the alchemy, that for the people that use it, it's science. But everyone else thinks its magic. It reminded me of the author Arthur. C. Clarke quote " Magic's just science that we don't understand yet." I was fascinated by how the way that they use alchemy to protect others and fight.

Sorcery of a Queen is told in mult
uncommonkim
Aug 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020
Thank you to TOR UK for sending me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

I absolutely loved this book!
If you love an action packed, intense fantasy with witches and dragons then this is the book for you! Despite being a sequel, this book is still strong as a standalone read with how much the reader gets to explore the world.

I particularly enjoyed the science and steampunk aspects too; it turns this book into a truly unique read.

The characters are easily my favourite part of this b
Kanaga RSolamuthu
I was waiting for this book & was not disappointed. Compared to the first book, this one has more to the story. Not many authors can weave a story that is intriguing & captivating, Brian Naslund has just moved there on my list. I have read variety of stories from vast authors, only a handful can create a fantasy world with details to match, this book is in par to that. The author has blended the ancient (dragons) & modern (sky ship), while maintaining a balance to the story. The way this story w ...more
Dave
Dec 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Dragons! Mad scientists! Demons! Zombies! Pirates (sorry, Corsairs)! Looking toward more. Very enjoyable.
Jess Townsend
Jun 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Do yourself a favor and pick up this book! A fast-paced, intense fantasy read with witches, dragons, and strong, complex female characters. All of my favorite things!
R Smith
Jan 17, 2021 rated it it was amazing
I tried to read this slowly, to make it last - but.... the more I read, the more I couldn’t stop.
This is the best fantasy I’ve read for ages!
Can’t wait for the next one
Adeel
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Sorcery of a Queen by Brian Naslund is the follow-up to Blood of an Exile and the second book in the Dragons of Terra series.

The story continues on from the bloody battle of Floodhaven. Queen Ashlyn has been presumed dead after conjuring a spell that managed to kill those that attempted to cause her demise. Now banished from her Kingdom, Ashlyn along with Bershad and Felgor have managed to escape on a boat that is set to travel to the where Ashlyn’s mother was born, the island of Papyria. Once t
Rowena Andrews
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
*Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for the e-arc in exchange for an honest review, all thoughts an rambling are my own*

I was still riding on the high of ‘Blood of an Exile’ when I started this one, and ‘Sorcery of a Queen’ did not disappoint, and in fact, took all the positives from the first book to a whole new level.

This sequel came out fighting from the start and turned all expectations on its head in the best possible way. This is epic fantasy in every sense of the world, and it ha
Tilly
Nov 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 stars

I was looking forward to this book so much and it didn't disappoint. It was a hard task coming from the first in the series Blood of an Exile which was so brilliant that I was worried this second book wouldn't be the same. In my opinion, this wasn't quite as good as the first but it still was an amazing read.
This series is filled with action from start to finish. You certainly will never get bored reading this series. It is filled with dragons, political drama, world wars, magic and inter
Karen Cohn
Nov 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating and intricate story that wove between characters as the story progressed. Even with chapter titles that included the name of the character narrating that chapter, different characters’ voices made it clear whose viewpoint each chapter was told from.

This is a unique take on dragons, with different races of dragons having different characteristics that impact the storyline, as well as a distinctive interaction between humans and dragons, enhanced by an equally distinctive i
Chimene
Audiobook version:
It's so hard to say goodbye to characters I've been following for so long...

I absolutely adore this world and have just bought the first book - I initially borrowed both audio books and all the way through thought I need to read the books.
But details...

The story is a fast paced white knuckled ride, full of magic, danger and monsters. It's broken up with humour that catches you off gaurd. It's punchy and flows incredibly well.
The author has given us an amazing follow up to the
J.R. Snyder
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another excellent entry in the Dragons of Terra series. I described this book to a friend as, "It feels like the old pulpy adventure stories, but without all the troubling parts."

It really feels like you're reading an old school adventure novel, all the way down to a tough naked guy fighting pirates. This story dives into a lot more worldbuilding and exploration of the magic system, which I loved. Learning more about Osyrus Ward's history and his plans were some of my favorite parts of the story
Marian
Aug 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a good sequel!

I am really enjoying this series. The author faked me out of my shoes a couple of times, and I can't wait to see where this goes next, even though I'm not sure how this ends well for the characters for whom I want it to end well. By the by, I was so happy this book follows Jolan in part, and I like the medical/pharmaceutical stuff (please don't kill Jolan). Ashlyn is also fascinating and I'm really interested in what happens to her.
Kim
Aug 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a well written, but bumpy ride, and a good sequel overall. Some parts had me laughing out loud (thank you, Fellgor), while other parts were pretty unpleasant to read because very little seemed to go right for our heroes. There were a lot of POVs, which may have contributed to the fact that the audio book felt very long without much pay off at the end. Will definitely be reading the next one.
Alexandra
Dec 14, 2020 rated it liked it
DNF I didn't enjoy this one as much as the first one maybe I'll try it again another time the cover is gorgeous the story got confusing and I'm sorry a little boring and orgy this orgy that okay ugh enough is enough sorry..... I am still interested in Bershad is what is happening to him but I just couldn't follow. ...more

• Midnight Sun (Twilight, #5)
  • The Witch Sisters (The Taker, #2.5)
  • The Memory of Souls (A Chorus of Dragons, #3)
  • Legacy of Steel (The Legacy Trilogy, #2)
  • The Shadows
  • The Witches of New York
  • Ashes of the Sun (Burningblade & Silvereye, #1)
  • Vampire State Building
  • Unfamiliar Familiars: Extraordinary Animal Companions for the Modern Witch
  • Don't Believe Everything You Feel: A CBT Workbook to Identify Your Emotional Schemas and Find Freedom from Anxiety and Depression
  • Legacy of Ash (Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • Secret Legacy (The Windhaven Witches, #1)
  • Speak the Ocean
  • A Parting Glass
  • The Empire's Ghost (Paths of Lantistyne, #1)
  • Measure of Days (Complete, #1)
  • The Deep
  • We Are the Dead (The Last War, #1)
Brian is an American fantasy author. Blood of an Exile is his debut novel, and the first in The Dragons of Terra series. The sequel, Sorcery of a Queen, will be published in August, 2020.

Brian grew up in Maryland but hates crab-cakes. He now lives in Colorado.

When he's not writing, he’s usually griping about video games on Twitter, hiking with his dog, Lola, or whitewater kayaking in the mountains

Dragons of Terra (3 books)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • Fury of a Demon (Dragons of Terra, #3)