Start by marking “The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)

The Extraordinaries

(The Extraordinaries #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  6,457 ratings  ·  1,982 reviews
Some people are extraordinary. Some are just extra. TJ Klune's YA debut, The Extraordinaries, is a queer coming-of-age story about a fanboy with ADHD and the heroes he loves.

Nick Bell? Not extraordinary. But being the most popular fanfiction writer in the Extraordinaries fandom is a superpower, right?

After a chance encounter with Shadow Star, Nova City’s mightiest hero (an
Published July 14th 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinaries, please sign up.
This question contains spoilers... (view spoiler)
Michelle Prins
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Isabella I wouldn't say so. There's no sexual scenes, but there are a lot of the main character's thoughts going a bit explicit and just a lot of sexual refere…moreI wouldn't say so. There's no sexual scenes, but there are a lot of the main character's thoughts going a bit explicit and just a lot of sexual references made throughout, mostly made for comedic effect. A few kinda descriptive make out scenes. And I don't think there was any cursing? Could be wrong on that but I'm 99% sure.(less)

·  6,457 ratings  ·  1,982 reviews

Start your review of The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
T.J.
Mar 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
OUT NOW!!!

Buy links: https://us.macmillan.com/books/978125...

Extraordinaries-FINAL

Cover by David Curtis

Excerpt: https://www.pastemagazine.com/article...

Some people are extraordinary. Some are just extra.

After a chance encounter with Shadow Star, Nova City’s mightiest hero (and Nick’s biggest crush), Nick sets out to make himself extraordinary. And he’ll do it with or without the relucta
chai ♡
What's worse than heartbreak?

One of your most anticipated books of the year not living up to your expectations.

chan ☆
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, ya-fantasy
this is what i wanted renegades to be

lean in to the cheese and the camp!!! adored this. thoughts coming in a vlog.
Iris
Jun 03, 2020 rated it did not like it

edit: it's been brought to my attention that TJ Klune has released a statement on these issues http://www.tjklunebooks.com/new-blog/...
It's not my place to accept or not accept his apology, as I am not a part of the marginalized groups most affected by police brutality.
All I will say, is that apology or not, the book is still harmful. And perhaps if even the author himself recognizes the harm he did . . . that's a pretty solid sign that we're not just overreacting when we say it's harm
Claudia Ramírez
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020, hilarious-humor
OMG this book was hilarious. I've always loved T.J. Klune's sence of humor, and this one made me laugh out loud in several scenes! It was fantastic. I think at one point I started crying out of laughter.

Besides that, the book itself is amazing and I loved it. I don't know how to start describing it: it's like a urban fantasy with superheroes called "Extraordinaries" and the main character is obsessed with them, I mean, he writes fanfiction about them (in which he's the main character and one -ve
megs_bookrack
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up**

The Extraordinaries is an non-stop explosion of quick wit and good humor from beloved author, T.J. Klune.

It features Queer Superheroes and relatable fandom vibes. Need I say more?

This story is set in the fictional landscape of Nova City, where Superheroes are real.

They're called Extraordinaries and swoop in to save the day, as you would expect any superhero to do.

Also, as you would expect, there are people who are obsessed with them and they've developed their own uniqu
C.G. Drews
If you've ever wanted a book that could be described as a soft superhero queer disaster, then this one is for you. It's like a combination of all those tumblr posts you see about inverting superhero tropes mixed with genuine odes to fanfiction and with a good bit of absolute dork mixed in. And it's funny?? And fun?? You don't want to go in thinking too deeply 😂Be here for a good time, not an academic time. But it's basically your traditional superhero story but told by the comedic love interest ...more
Larry H
Jul 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars, rounded up.

TJ Klune's newest book, The Extraordinaries , is a book that truly lives up to its name!

We all have crushes on celebrities when we’re teenagers. It just so happens that Nick Bell worships Shadow Star, the bravest Extraordinary in Nick’s home of Nova City. Shadow Star has vowed to fight the evil in the city, and he is the subject of all of Nick’s popular fanfiction (in which he may or may not have feelings for a Nick-like character).

After a chance encounter with his hero,
☆ Todd
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it

While this superhero story was "good", I was expecting the same level of excitement that I usually feel from TJ's books, so I was left feeling slightly disappointed.

For one thing, the pacing of the story felt a bit slow, even though it was approximately the same length as many of TJ's other books. However, when I had to put it down, my fingers didn't twitch until I absolutely *had* to pick it up again, taking me a full week to read.

With only Nick's single POV, there were tons of internal though
Christy
4 stars

TJ Klune can write the most heartfelt and fun stories, and The Extraordinaries was just that. This book left such a big smile on my face and I can’t wait to read more in this world.

When I heard about this book, my excitement level was at an all time high. First, I love TJ Klune’s writing, and second, it was compared to Fangirl which is a book I love. On top of that, superheroes!

Nick Bell is an ordinary teenager with ADHD who lives with his dad. Nick loves the Extraordinaries and has
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
Jul 21, 2020 marked it as did-not-finish
Shelves: queer
DNF at 28%: I hate to say this because I LOVED (like, favorite of the year, loved) the last TJ Klune book I read, but I did not enjoy what I read of this one at all. I found the main character’s POV to be kind of insufferable and that made it extremely hard for me to connect to the story or care at all about what was happening. While this one didn’t necessarily work for me personally, I do think that if you enjoy superheroes, you could probably still really like this one. But between me not cari ...more
Amy Imogene Reads
5 stars

My fav, my precious, my sweet cinnamon roll.

Humor: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Plot: ★★★★
Enjoyment: all the freaking stars, I've already read this twice in 2020 and I don't have time to reread, ever

So before I get into this at all, I just have to say that since reading this ARC at the end of April, I've already reread it twice before its release date. As someone who has ZERO time to reread anything, that's a serious compliment as to how this book made me feel. Now to the review!

Nick Bell is a
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*3.5 stars*

The Extraordinaries was another good story from the always reliable T.J. Klune, though not without its flaws.

First of all, I need to talk about the stellar narration from Michael Lesley. Michael Lesley is a frequent narrator of T.J. Klune's books, and he always gives it his all. His narrating style is so joyful and full of energy that it's always a pleasure to listen to. Well done, Michael.

However, even with the great narrating job, it still took me two weeks to get through the sto
sarah
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
why, oh why has it taken me this long to read a T J Klune book?

I have spent 16 years of my life without knowing the pure joy his books can bring, and suddenly within one week I have read two of his books and cannot wait to pick up everything else by T J Klune.

The Extraordinaries somehow made me love a book about superheroes- which in itself is a masterful achievement. I typically find superhero books take themselves too seriously and become eye roll inducing, but this one was really self aware
Corina
Jul 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I feel like there are two parts I need to touch on in this review, the story and the audiobook narration.

THE STORY/PLOT:
From the very beginning this story is different. Unique in its idea and execution with many wonderfully endearing characters. The super hero concept pulled me in and I loved the Metropolis vibe. But I struggled at the beginning. It actually took me a while to get used to the voice of the story.

THE WRITING:
There were so many awesome dialogues between Nick and his father.
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
superheroes + gays = bookish perfection

math comes to save the day again

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Eugenia
OMG 😱 OMG 😱 OMG 😱!!!
This book! This book got better and better the more I read!! At first I liked it. Then, I really liked it. Having JUST finished it, I loved it!

So....a story about wanting to be more than you are and realizing that what you are is extraordinary.

Here ya go:

YA - What a kiss!
AU - Comic heroes do exist!
Urban Fantasy - Can I have a super-power, too?

Nick Bell is our MC. He’s neurodiverse with severe ADHD. He is in high school. He writes fanfic about his real-life crush, Shadow Star
* A Reader Obsessed *
4.5 Stars

First off, YA is not my typical go to. However, this is Klune and for some reason, I interpreted this particular piece of work as speaking directly to me, like I was in on a shared inside joke and absolutely admit that I transferred those perceived notions as a nod to my favorite OTP from my favorite fanfic. Yes, I concede that I may be the rare reader who feels this way, but I can’t help that and was just tickled over and over and over with what I took as winks or nods, seeing all sort
Romie
I have many feelings, the first one being: TJ Klune is an absolute gift for this world. I'm honestly so happy he's coming to the dark side of the force (YA) because it means more people will be able to discover his books and see how talented he is, and we stan:) my second feeling is: I'd give my life for Nick and Seth (and can I please kick Rebecca Firestone in the face?)

okay, let's be serious. this book was the funniest thing I've read in a very long time (I'm talking about full belly laugh) wh
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 [extraordinary ] STARS!
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Buddy read with the amazing Darce ❤️

OhmyGod. THIS WAS PHENOMENAL. Downright, utterly, BRILLIANT! Truly, I am SO THANKFUL THIS IS GOING TO BE A TRILOGY! I need moremoremoremoremore!

I LOVED THIS SO FREAKIN MUCH!

TJ Klune is just the absolute best; everything he writes is uh-may-zinggggg. I had really high expectations for this and it went above and beyond them !

Also— holy extraordinary queerness!
REPRESENT ! 😉
❤️🧡💛💚💙💜
Wonderful, positive queer re
Sanaa
5+ stars.

Is there such a thing as TJ Klune writing a bad book? I think not as I've yet to find anything that I haven't loved. The Extraordinaries was such a different yet amazing book, there's nothing like it out there.

From the main characters, to the plot, side characters, emotions, humor, the romance, it all just worked. There were a few things that I did catch on to early enough in the book (most people I think will) but it nothing to lessen the enjoyment of the story. There were enough
Anniek
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 4.5

This was exactly what I needed right now, such a delight. It has to be the funniest book I've read in a while.

Granted, this book won't be for everyone. It's not to be taken seriously, and the brand of humour is one that likely won't work for everyone. It worked really well for me though, and I ended up crying laughing a bunch of times. It's such a ridiculous book, but in the best way imagineable.

I shipped Nick and Seth right from the beginning, they are so very precious. And so
Andreas
Jul 20, 2020 rated it did not like it
I cannot wrap my head around the fact that the same person who wrote The House in the Cerulean Sea, also wrote this. Like, it won’t compute.

Reading this felt like being trapped in a constant state of suspension, I kept waiting and waiting and waiting for the story, the real story, to begin, but it never did. The characters weren't what I needed them to be, the dialogue wasn't what I needed it to be, and the plot was just so all over the place it gave me anxiety (the bad kind, not the good book r
Meags
4.5 Stars

The Extraordinaries is a super-fun and super-entertaining LGBT themed YA fantasy story.

Set in an alternate universe where superheros are very much real, a gay teenager named Nick decides he wants nothing more than to become just like Nova City’s truest hero—an Extraordinary by the name of Shadow Star. Nick worships/romanticizes the ground Shadow Star walks on, writing his own fairly popular fanfiction stories—in which he continually plays out various fantasies of meeting and falling in
Emma
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Full review HERE

I'm a big fan of T.J. Klune and so I'm very glad to have the chance to review this title before its official release date.

I think this novel had a lot of great and original elements to it and I could definitely see Klune's personal touch. I don't want to go into much detail just because a lot of what I would like to say would be a spoiler and I want everyone to enjoy this story wi
aarya
Update: I didn't end up writing a full-fledged review for this one, but the author made a statement re: some of the problematic aspects I grappled with. I strongly encourage you to read it.

***

Need to think about this one for a bit. Deeply flawed/problematic in certain aspects and not sure how to rate when I consider all the enjoyable parts.

Disclaimer: I received a free e-ARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Darce
buddy read with my babe Ashley, love ya girl! this was so much fun to buddy read with you :)) xx

ahhh T.J. Klune, you've done it again. everyone give this book some love! give Nicky some love!

i don't understand the bad reviews on this book! i really don't! it was straight up HILARIOUS, it was ridiculous but in a good way, it talked about moral issues and the grey areas in life, it talked about loss and love, and it was about a non-neurotypical, gay, brilliant, oblivious, naive, sweet teenage boy!
h o l l i s
I feel like my feelings on this book went up and down as the story went along. There were some pretty great highs (and I mean that not necessarily limited to light hearted delight but also momentsof pure emotion and sadness) and also some middling.. not lows but, like, middles.

If you're a fan of Klune's humour, you'll absolutely have a good time. Some passages had me in stitches. If you're a fan of Klune's angst, you probably won't be super satisfied but you'll be content. This is a YA with com
Lisazj1
I loved this, quite a different kind of book from TJ Klune but I was completely won over.

I confess that in the the beginning, though I was enjoying it, I wasn't blown away or anything. It was all the things TJ does so well, hilarious, snarky, great relationships of all kinds and marvelously well done characters. It was also very, very young adult, which is not a bad thing, just that Nick & Seth were so very cute. 🥰 I almost couldn't stand it. ❤️

And then the feels showed up. Allll of them. Hurt,
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Yeah I'm gonna have to say no to this book based on this review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

This is the second book this year published by Tor (the other being Docile) that really needed a Black editor. Issues like slavery and police / police brutality are being handled poorly and not recognized for their racial implications, specifically for Black Americans. Time to do some hiring Tor!!

• Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
  • Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Death of a Salesman
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe #1)
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy, #1)
  • Lanny
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Angel of the Crows
  • A Heart So Fierce and Broken (Cursebreakers, #2)
  • Beard Science (Winston Brothers, #3)
  • Boyfriend Material (Boyfriend Material, #1)
  • Are You Listening?
  • The Gentleman’s Guide to Getting Lucky (Montague Siblings, #1.5)
See top shelves…
TJ KLUNE is a Lambda Literary Award-winning author (Into This River I Drown) and an ex-claims examiner for an insurance company. His novels include The House in the Cerulean Sea and The Extraordinaries. Being queer himself, TJ believes it's important—now more than ever—to have accurate, positive, queer representation in stories. ...more

The Extraordinaries (3 books)
  • Flash Fire (The Extraordinaries, #2)
  • Untitled (The Extraordinaries, #3)

Articles featuring this book

“Sometimes, the people we want to protect the most might not understand why we do the things we do. But that doesn't mean they love us any less. Only you can decide where your faith lies.” 9 likes
“Be gay. Do crimes.” 9 likes