Start by marking “The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)

The Extraordinaries

(The Extraordinaries #1)

Some people are extraordinary. Some are just extra. TJ Klune's YA debut, The Extraordinaries, is a queer coming-of-age story about a fanboy with ADHD and the heroes he loves.

Nick Bell? Not extraordinary. But being the most popular fanfiction writer in the Extraordinaries fandom is a superpower, right?

After a chance encounter with Shadow Star, Nova Citys mightiest hero (and
Expected publication: July 14th 2020 by Tor Teen

To ask other readers questions about The Extraordinaries, please sign up.
kittykat BOATK was not aimed at a YA audience as the main demographic. Target audience (teenage or adult), not character ages, is the main thing to consider…moreBOATK was not aimed at a YA audience as the main demographic. Target audience (teenage or adult), not character ages, is the main thing to consider here.(less)

Start your review of The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
T.J.
Mar 25, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: mine
Coming May 19, 2020 from Tor Teen.

Extraordinaries-FINAL

Cover by David Curtis

Pre-Order: https://us.macmillan.com/books/978125...

Excerpt: https://www.pastemagazine.com/article...

Some people are extraordinary. Some are just extra.

After a chance encounter with Shadow Star, Nova Citys mightiest hero (and Nicks biggest crush), Nick sets out to make himself extraordinary. And hell do it with or
chai ♡
superheroes? fanfic writers? queerness? this could not be more firmly inside my circle of interests
Tucker
Jul 19, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr
superheroes + gays = bookish perfection

math comes to save the day again
Sanaa
5+ stars.

Is there such a thing as TJ Klune writing a bad book? I think not as I've yet to find anything that I haven't loved. The Extraordinaries was such a different yet amazing book, there's nothing like it out there.

From the main characters, to the plot, side characters, emotions, humor, the romance, it all just worked. There were a few things that I did catch on to early enough in the book (most people I think will) but it nothing to lessen the enjoyment of the story. There were enough
Anniek
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq, mlm
Actual rating: 4.5

This was exactly what I needed right now, such a delight. It has to be the funniest book I've read in a while.

Granted, this book won't be for everyone. It's not to be taken seriously, and the brand of humour is one that likely won't work for everyone. It worked really well for me though, and I ended up crying laughing a bunch of times. It's such a ridiculous book, but in the best way imagineable.

I shipped Nick and Seth right from the beginning, they are so very precious. And so
Elise (TheBookishActress)
you know, the phrase "lgbtq fantasy trilogy" says nothing. but also, I'm here for it? so it's fine.
Rach
Mar 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020
We start this book with Nick Bell our main character. He writes fan fiction (which is quite popular) about The Extraordinaries Shadow Star and Pyro Storm. Nick particularly loves Shadow Star and is kinda obsessed with him. Nick and his father who is a cop are still grieving after the lost of Nicks mum and trying the best to live their lives. Nick has ADHD and finds his thoughts chaotic sometimes.

Nick has three fabulous best friends Seth, Gibby and Jazz (who are a couple).

Nick gets a idea in
Mae Crowe
Received a physical ARC from the publisher.

I guess this is the year of me finding superhero stories that I actually like??? Because Sidekick Squad was really good, and this book is fantastic!

The Extraordinaries isn't a superhero book in the traditional sense. It doesn't revolve around a main character with powers, or even a main character who is surrounded by people with powers. The whole "superheroes exist" thing is mostly off-screen, so the action is minimal. Rather, The Extraordinaries
Amy Imogene Reads
Feb 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
This sounds cute and fun! Cant wait.

Thank you to TOR Teen for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review.
Mimi
Mar 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
That ending was straight-up EVIL.
sarah xoxo
Mar 13, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: arcs

Release Date: 5 March 2020

notes: this sounds like everything I have ever wanted!
Charlotte

T.J.Klune has done it again; he's written yet another book that has found an immediate place on my "shelf of absolute favorites."

This novel is about teenagers being teenagers; the only difference being they live in a world in which superheroes are a real thing. Nick Bell is a writer of fanfiction that involves superheroes. He's pretty good at it and has a lot of fans online. His best friend, Seth Grey (bf since they met on the swings) betas the fanfiction for him. Nick's other besties are a
THIS WAS SO GOOD!! Can perfectly see it as a movie !!

also it has the best mlm wlw solidarity I've ever seen so !!
Leo
Aug 07, 2019 marked it as to-read
Super queer superheroes = SUPERQUEEROES

Some people are extraordinary. Some are just extra. aka every character by TJ Klune (and Klune himself, but don't tell him)

Also, you can read an excerpt here. And it's amazing.
Benjamin (The Maniac)
Oct 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
In this profile, we love everything T.J. Klune writes.
Emma
Apr 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I'm a big fan of T.J. Klune and so I'm very glad to have the chance to review this title before its official release date.

I think this novel had a lot of great and original elements to it and I could definitely see Klune's personal touch. I don't want to go into much detail just because a lot of what I would like to say would be a spoiler and I want everyone to enjoy this story without being
Katie
Mar 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Actual Rating: 4.5 Stars

This was such a fun book. I had such a good time reading this, and there were so many times that I literally starting laughing because it was so great. There were a lot of moments of second hand embarrassment but I feel like that only endeared me more towards Nick (the MC). There are definitely heartfelt moments in this book as well, especially in the second half, that had me on the verge of tears. I also really liked the diversity and representation in this book. Nick
Kristel
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
ALL THE STARS!!

I can't leave a review just yet, but just so you know this was beyond perfect, full of angst, pining, puns, tmi about things, and just everything I imagined and so much more!!

RTC closer to the release date!
Lily
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
2 words: Classic Klune. This book was, dare I say, extraordinary! We meet Nick Bell, teen fan-fic enthusiast with enough random humor to match wits with the likes of Paul Auster or Sam of Wilds. Nick also has that obliviousness-to-love sickness that promotes maximum UST. While somewhat predictable, Klune had fun with it purposely poking fun at superhero cliches and stereotypes. I busted a gut reading this book and I really hope Klune decides to go for a sequel!
***
I was lucky enough to receive an
I won an advance copy from Tor Teen on twitter. This in no way affects my reviews; all words; thoughts, and opinions are my own.

If youve read TJ Klune before, The Extraordinaries is obviously one of his books from laughing too hard to bawling your eyes out. Nick Bell is a teen with ADHD and a perhaps-unhealthy obsession with Extraordinary Shadow Star, and one day he decides hes going to become and Extraordinary too so he and Shadow Star can get married and live together happily ever after. But
Linda
Mar 27, 2020 rated it really liked it
I finished "The Extraordinaries" by TJ Klune yesterday and as you can imagine, I was really excited about it. TJ Klune has written some of my favorite books and I couldn't wait for this one.

First of all I have to say that TJ Klune's humor is really special. 😂 I think you either love it or it's not your cup of tea. It's a bit over the top humor, but mostly fits really well to his stories. I personally enjoy his serious books more. And by that I mean the ones where you cry your eyes out after
Stine Hopsdal
Wow. Just wow! Will have to sleep on this before I can make a coherent review.

Okay, so I slept on it. Here is my honest review. *I received a free copy from Netgalley.*

I am a huge fan of TJ Klune's books, and have read almost every book he has written. Thus, my expectations were sky high when first starting this book. I know what he can do, and I always expect to like it. With that in mind, I have to say that he also really hit it home for me with The Extraordinaries.

One of the things TJ Klune
Mariana A
Mar 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! It's hilarious and heartfelt and everything you'd expect from a TJ novel, but at the same time it was very new and unexpected. I thoroughly fell in love with all the characters, especially Nick and Seth. I enjoyed it so much and I'm excited for everyone who will be introduced to TJ's writing through this wonderfully queer YA debut. On that note, I'm also super stoked for Michael Lesley's narration of the audiobook.
BWT (Belen)
Review and rating to come closer to publication date per request.

"PLEASE do refrain from posting your review on a publicly-available website until no more than 2 WEEKS before the on-sale date."

Advanced Review Galley copy of The Extraordinaries provided by Tor Teen via NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.
Fanna
Mar 20, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr  ·  review of another edition
March 20, 2020: A queer coming-of-age story starring a fanboy with ADHD. I'm always here to read all the fun contemporary fantasy because what genre-mix can be better than this one? Anyway, here for the LGBT+ & mental health representation. Thank you, Hodder & Stoughton for the digital review copy via Netgalley!
Leah (Jane Speare)
Mar 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nicholas Bell isnt just a fan of the Extraordinaries, superheroes of Nova City, he writes fan fiction and even daydreams about a certain Shadow Star falling for him. (Keep dreaming, Nick.) At the first page of Nicks slash fiction I was pulled back by nostalgia into my own teens. Add a good dose of awkward situations that made me hide behind my hand with secondhand embarrassment...and thats Nick.

Among his friends, the self-anointed queer kids in school, he is known for having both a short
Yuq
Mar 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Release date is changed to July 14, 2020 due to COVID-19! Pre-orders will remain as is (and I do highly encourage you to pre-order this book)

[4.75/5]

ARC from netgalley provided by Macmillan-Tor/Forge for an honest review.

1st book. M/M. Neurodiverse (ADHD) MC. Queer and racially diverse main cast. YA Fantasy (Superhero story)

What is it? Nick Bell has the biggest crush, borderline obsession, on Shadow Star, a superhero, or as they call it in the book, an Extraordinary who protects Nova City from
Kelly
Mar 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Extraordinaries follows a teenager named Nick who is obsessed with some real life superheros (and villains) that have unique powers called Extraordinaries. Nick is in the love with the hero Shadow Star and wants desperately to become an Extraordinary so Shadow Star will notice him and fall in love. Nick also finds himself at odds with his ADHD diagnosis and believes becoming an Extraordinary will allow him to become his best self.

This novel was witty, fun and fast paced. The writing was very
Mae
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much Netgalley and Tor Teen.

What attracted me first was the cover, then the summary and finally, I saw the author was T.J. Klune whom I know for his Green Creek saga. I quickly came to the conclusion that I HAD TO read this book!

Even though I was skeptical regarding the super-hero aspect, it was actually pleasing to read about it. Could have been more detailed in my opinion but I feel like it is going to be the case in the sequel.
I think the strength of this book lies in the main
David
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got an ARC of this book through Netgally!

I don't even know where to begin... I freaking loved this book!
It's funny, angsty and so freaking adorable, and I already want to reread it again.
I knew it was going to be a 5 star read for me... because all Klune's books are! He never fails to make me laugh, and I'm really glad I wasn't reading this in public! People would've thought I was crazy.
I don't even know what else to say! I'm so so so happy that I got to read this already!
If you haven't
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bookish First Rea...: The Extraordinaries by T.J. Klune 4 9 Mar 04, 2020 03:45PM

• Carry On (Simon Snow, #1)
  • Fleishman Is in Trouble
  • Only Mostly Devastated
  • The Gravity of Us
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
  • Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
  • Lord of Shadows (The Dark Artifices, #2)
  • The Mermaid, the Witch, and the Sea
  • The Dream Thieves (The Raven Cycle, #2)
  • Death of a Salesman
  • The Big Sleep (Philip Marlowe, #1)
  • First Term (Dragon Fire Academy #1)
  • Winter (Evermore Academy #1)
  • Lanny
  • The Bromance Book Club (Bromance Book Club, #1)
  • The Mall
  • Boyfriend Material
  • How to Be Remy Cameron
When TJ Klune was eight, he picked up a pen and paper and began to write his first story (which turned out to be his own sweeping epic version of the video game Super Metroidhe didnt think the game ended very well and wanted to offer his own take on it. He never heard back from the video game company, much to his chagrin). Now, over two decades later, the cast of characters in his head have only ...more

Articles featuring this book

Love, loss, magic, and wonder: 2020 looks to be a year of glued-to-the-page reading in the young adult genre. Among the most anticipated books ...