Start by marking “Bordersnakes” as Want to Read:

Bordersnakes (Milo Milodragovitch #3)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  459 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
When a fickle twist of fate foils two assassins from snuffing out Detective C.W. Sughrue, P.I. Milo Milodragovich joins Sughrue in tracking down the would-be killers. The two men sweep across America and Mexico on a wild journey of hardcore violence, sex, and cyberspace--a journey that traverses the thin, volatile line between best friends, countries--and life and death.
Published September 1st 1997 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Bordersnakes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bordersnakes

Oscar Walsh
whoever said this guy writes like an angel on speed was wrong
Thomas Todd
This is my first James Crumley offering I've read. I will now need to read his earlier novels as I really enjoyed Bordersnakes. In this novel Crumley takes his characters, Milo and Sughrue, from earlier individual works and combines them in this novel. I felt myself waking up hungover after reading this book as an extraordinary amount of alcohol is consumed by these two, along with ample amounts of marijuana smoked and plenty of "primo" cocaine injested. But there was a good storyline to accompa ...more
May 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Crumley takes his two favorite detective creations on a gonzo adventure, roadtrip, and revenge quest. Milo and Sughrue in car filled with cocaine and firearms travel the American West with the spirits of Chandler, Peckinpah, Hunter S Thompson, and Warren Zevon as guides and a soundtrack by Ely, Cowboy Junkies, Waits, Zevon, and Patsy Cline. Ridiculous, comic and brutally violent this is the book he probably meant to write with Mexican Tree Duck.
Tom Vater
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Bordersnakes by James Crumley, published in 1996 and this crime writer’s last novel, is all about bad men in a hostile world – a novel so macho and hard-boiled you will need to use your brains like a razor on a mirror to be able to snort up the insides of this crystalline, sick, turbo-paced ride through Texas.

Two out of control private eyes in search of money and revenge cruise through this beautifully written, vomit-inducing thriller, sliding from one unsavory moment of sex, drugs and ultra-vio
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jul 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: hairy-eyeball
This one gets so over the top in its violence and vice that it almost turns into a satire of the blood 'n guts romance that guys over 50 really go for. As for a plot, there isn't one as much as a series of drinking, fighting and screwing episodes in the name of vengeance. Someone stole Milo's inheritance and someone left Sughrue gut-shot and left to die in the desert. The two detectives team up and go after the mofos responsible. Heads explode, guts explode, coke is snorted, tequila is consumed, ...more
John of Canada
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: scared-me
I enjoy revenge stories,but this was almost too much.Lots of killing,mutilating,drug and alcohol overdose,fighting...Crumley was a really good writer and the dialogue was entertaining.I have cancelled my trip to west Texas.
Luca Lesi
Dec 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Succede qualcosa quando si tocca il fondo roccioso della propria esistenza. Dalla melma viene a formarsi una certa chiarezza di vedute. La quale poi emerge e risorge, forse come la vita stessa.
Bordersnakes è un altro grande romanzo hard boiled di James Crumley, che vede insieme Milo Milodragovich e C.W. Sughrue, i due amici cinquantenni (protagonisti singoli di altri romanzi) alla ricerca della propria giustizia perché chiunque decide che la vendetta è una roba brutta non ha mai perduto nulla d'
Andrea P
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perchè 5 le dai a "L'ultimo vero bacio" e nulla, tra quanto scritto da Crumley, lo eguaglia. Ma è solo questione dogmatica.
Perchè il primato vacilla davanti a questa storia che vede spalla a spalla e colpo su colpo (e che colpi, C. W. Sughrue e Milo Milodragovitch, i due self-distructive protagonisti dei suoi romanzi.
E non sai se ti coinvolge di più (pericolosamente) quello che fanno o quello che dicono.
Ma non è che importi poi tanto capirlo.
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One of the great all time books. Has everything I want.
Dec 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Way over the top. Well-written as are all Crumley books, but I found this one less enjoyable. Read the all-time classic "The Last Good Kiss" instead.
Crumley novels are colorful, jam-packed with interesting characters and unusual plots. This story has almost too many characters, plot twists, and coincidences. Also, lots of drinking and drugs.
Jim Nesbitt
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another dead Texan, Crumley is still a vastly underappreciated talent whose detective novels are laced with drugs, sex, booze and violence, all ladled out in unblinking and graphic detail. His rich, seedy and wild novels had a profound impact on my own writing, showing me it was a mighty fine thing to let my stories rip and describe sex and violence without the use of euphemism that insults the reader’s intelligence. His two main characters, private investigators Milo Milodragovitch and C.W. Sug ...more
Linda Kelley
Apr 21, 2010 is currently reading it
Once I find a good author, I tend to check out all his/her books and read them one right after the other. I love the way this guy puts words together...."His large brown eyes, as melancholy as prunes in Cream of Wheat...." Chuckled over that one. Looking forward to reading "The Muddy Fork and Other Things."
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
Came across this jewel while suffering through a family get together. Dark, humorous and just what I needed to take my mind off family drama. I look forward to checking out Crumley's other work. Too bad there is not much of it out there!
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it
Crumley's two detectives, Milo Milodragovich and C.W. Sughrue, join forces to work the same case. Not as good or as tightly focused as the previous Sughrue novels, this still has the Crumley touch in good supply.
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
After a while you just read Crumley for the wonderful way the man had with words; the violence doubles and the plot turns back on itself more times than we care, as both Sugrue and Milo go about their business.
Ron Perkowski
Jul 24, 2012 rated it liked it
A cathartic Crumley, although perhaps trying to hard early and not acheiving his usually climatic climax. this book is clearly deserving, like most of his work, of a closer read than I was willing to give it.
John Acy Reinhart
Feb 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Not every reader with its over the top violence, but I like its edginess.
Jul 01, 2011 rated it did not like it
Actually, didn't even finish. Bad!
Mitchell Logan
Feb 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Well done, the style might not be for everyone, but if it's the type you are looking for rest assured the execution is flawless.
J. Hopper
Aug 01, 2008
rated it it was ok
Mar 23, 2017
Feb 02, 2008
  • Black Hornet (Lew Griffin, #3)
  • The White Trilogy (Inspector Brant, #1, #2, #3)
  • I Was Dora Suarez
  • The Ones You Do
  • Hard as Nails
  • Killer on the Road
  • Three to Kill
James Arthur Crumley was the author of violent hardboiled crime novels and several volumes of short stories and essays, as well as published and unpublished screenplays. He has been described as "one of modern crime writing's best practitioners", who was "a patron saint of the post-Vietnam private eye novel"and a cross between Raymond Chandler and Hunter S. Thompson.His book The Last Good Kiss has ...more
More about James Crumley...

Milo Milodragovitch (4 books)
  • The Wrong Case