Start by marking “People of the Canyons: A Novel of North America's Forgotten Past” as Want to Read:

People of the Canyons: A Novel of North America's Forgotten Past

(North America's Forgotten Past #26)

In People of the Canyons, award-winning archaeologists and New York Times and USA Today bestselling authors Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear bring us a tale of trapped magic, a tyrant who wants to wield its power...and a young girl who could be the key to save a people.

In a magnificent war-torn world cut by soaring red canyons, an evil ruler launches a search for a
Published June 23rd 2020 by Forge

To ask other readers questions about People of the Canyons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about People of the Canyons

Start your review of People of the Canyons: A Novel of North America's Forgotten Past
Edie
Nov 05, 2020 rated it liked it
I am a huge fan of the "People" books but this one let me down a bit. The story weaves around lots of magic and superstitions and a small group of people rather than their lives as a whole. Certainly spirits played a major role in their lives but the book centered, for me, too much on it. ...more
Ariana Fae
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love the Gear's series of North America's Forgotten Past and was excited to see another book out. PEOPLE OF THE CANYONS (#26 in the series) showed that the Gears still know who to entertain a reader with a great story, rich historical details, and interesting characters.

What drew my into this story was the set-up: a witch hunter/killer, an enchanted pot that imprisons the breath-heart soul of one of the most powerful witches, and murder of a priestess & her unborn child. Then we ar
Annette
Jun 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2020
I’ve read several books by these authors. All are well researched books. This was a complex story, told by two very different people. I enjoyed the story, at times I did have some trouble keeping everyone straight.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the early copy
MaryJane Rings
I didn't like this book as much as I was expecting. I know that the ancient peoples were fascinated by the stars and the heavens as well as the changes of the season. These were the main reasons that depended on their survival. However, I found some of the events were too contemporary to the period. One example is the behavior of the guards. I think they were not as civilized as they were portrayed.
I thought it would go more into the way Tocho, Tsilu survived during their journey. What they hun
Diane
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
People of the Canyons: A Novel of North America's Forgotten Past #26 by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear has vivid imagery of the landscapes and characters. I have read and enjoyed many books in this series.
I will say this was not my favorite. The theme of the story is more about cruelty, witch hunters, and the dead.
The red canyon people believe each person has two souls. The Blessed Sun has been sending priests to convert the northern canyon people to an ancient faith, while the Canyon
Pamela
This book is magic based and mostly concerned with evil, witches and the dead. The leader of the Straight Path nation is known as evil cannibal witch. He used terror, force and witchcraft to rule, but now is old, nearing death. He dispatches his daughter Blue Dove to find a wellpot claimed to hold his enemy Nightshade’s soul, hoping it will free him to travel to the afterlife. At the same time there is a battle with religion, the old and new, though that is more in the background of the story.

Bl
Theresa
Jun 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
by Kathleen O'Neal Gear and W. Michael Gear
One of the most anticipated books in their series, after multiple requests from fans for a novel about the Fremont civilization the Gears have given the fans the story they have always needed even if they did not know it .
People of the Canyons brings the spiral full circle, and the Gears astounding ability to humanize the past is beyond comprehension. Breaking down the research and artifa
J Aislynn d'Merricksson
Mar 08, 2021 rated it really liked it
People of the Canyons is number twenty-six (!) in the Gears' sweeping forays into North America's epic deep past. Canyons visits the American Southwest, whose the tribes dwell amidst cave and canyon. As always, the trademark spirituality of the series shines through.

The Blessed Sun Leather Hand- a Powerful witch cursed by a even more Powerful shaman- is approaching the end of his long life. If he cannot break the curse, he will not be able to Travel to his Ancestors once he dies. Leather Hand f
Barb Martin
Feb 10, 2021 rated it liked it
Tsilu and her companions are on a journey toward death in "People of the Canyons," the latest in a long list of North America's Forgotten Past Series by Kathleen O'Neal and W. Michael Gear.

Theirs is a world awash in a religious war between those who follow the old gods and those who've embraced the new thlatsinas gods. Leather Hand is the Blessed Sun, the ruler of the Straight Path Nation. He's also a cannibal.

"People of the Canyons" references people and events stretching back more than 20 nove
Tina Osterman
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible

Kathleen O'Neal and W. Michael Gear have sent this reader over the top with this novel. It brought back old friends in New ways even an avid fan could have never thought possible. It brings the new, the Freemont into a story started long ago in another novel. On it's own, this novel takes the reader all over the Ancestral Prebloans area, bringing in the People Of The Canyons as the new factor.
Will they be able to rebalance the spiral which has been out of balance since the end of mora
Sue
Mar 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
This is another excellent book in the Gear's "People" series. It's written mostly in the first person, switching between Tsilu and Blue Dove. Because of that, we can only know what Tsilu and Blue Dove know. That extends the mystery of Tsilu and her family.

As usual the Gear's careful attention to the detail of the lives of the Canyon People and what we call the Anazai culture is on display throughout the book.

This entry in the People series is far more negative than the other People books and is
Mark
Feb 13, 2021 rated it really liked it
This continues some of the characters of People of the Moon. This book seems short and a little bit made for fans because of the many references to other characters and stories in the series. It seems like it certainly could have continued on in the series, but the series is at a close with the last book being Lightning Shell (Book 5 of the most excellent People of the Cahokia series).
If you're new to this series, I don't not recommend reading this one as an introduction.
My favorites include Peo
Liz Oneill
May 22, 2021 rated it really liked it
This was well written. For those who have read books by the Gears will understand what I mean when I say I felt like was imbibing through the entire book...on the black drink. The subject matter is dealing with matters of the underworld. What was nice was there were some old friends mentioned from other books. I found myself saying, " Oh, I remember them>" And I smiled. ...more
Linda McConnell Kemp
I enjoy these North America series books.

This one had me reading it almost nonstop. The story plot had you guessing as to who was who - well done. I was so disappointed it ended. Could there be a sequel coming down the pike? I hope so. I've followed the Gears since their first book in this series. I haven't been disappointed yet!
Angele Florisi
Disappointing

I’ve read a LOT of the books by these authors but this one was just terrible from start to finish. Don’t make this volume your introduction to the series these authors have written over the years.
Patricia L Fletcher
I loved this book.

I discovered the Gears when I picked up The Anasazi Mysteries years ago. This book brings me full circle to a beginning I didn't know existed. It is an awesome book and I wish there were more stars to give.
Kristafee
Apr 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Audio, good performance and great story
CHRISTINE HARDING
This story was well written ,but I didn't care for all the witches and magic it doesn't help the story one bit. Could have been alot shorter. ...more
Cynde
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at the people and the cultures in the canyons of Arizona in early times.
Mike
Aug 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The latest in the People series and just as interesting, well-written and good as the first.
Jackie Powers
Mar 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing
As always I immensely enjoyed it.. I have all of the books in this series.
Elaine Swanson
Jan 05, 2021
Karen M. Mowrey
Jul 19, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Star Path (North America's Forgotten Past #25; People of Cahokia #4)
  • Dissolution (The Wyoming Chronicles #1)
  • The Friendship List
  • Sun Born (North America's Forgotten Past #23; People of Cahokia #2)
  • Half Breed Haven #9 Into the Lair of Los Rey Lobo: A Wildes of the West-Half Breed Haven Wonder women of the Old West Action Adventure Western
  • Someone Else's Secret
  • Half Breed Haven #8 Renegades and Revenge: A Daughters of Half Breed Haven (The Wildes of the West) adventure-Wonder women of the Old West Series
  • Half Breed Haven #7 Disaster at Devil's Canyon: A Blue River Wilde Western Adventure (The WIldes of the West)
  • Reviving the Hawthorn Sisters
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #6)
  • Line by Line (Love along the Wires, #1)
  • Above the Clouds: How I Carved My Own Path to the Top of the World
  • Operation Cakewalk: 164th Regiment Novella
  • The Sunset Sisters
  • Half Breed Haven#6 Sing the Death Song: A Dutch Wilde and Bright Feather Western Adventure (The WIldes of the West)
  • Half Breed Haven #5 The Forbidden Ranch: A Honor Elizabeth Wilde- Western Tale of Suspense (The Wildes of the West) A wonder women of the Old West series
  • Shadow Child
  • Bloody Bougainville: WWII Novel (164th Regiment Book 2)
My professional life began in the dark basement of the Museum of Cultural History in Los Angeles, where I was cataloguing three-hundred-year-old Guatemalan saint carvings. I quit this fascinating job and moved to Wyoming to work for the U.S. Department of the Interior as a historian and archaeologist. When I finally understood the error of my ways I moved to Wyoming and started writing books. Sinc ...more

North America's Forgotten Past (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • People of the Wolf (North America's Forgotten Past, #1)
  • People of the Fire (North America's Forgotten Past, #2)
  • People of the Earth (North America's Forgotten Past, #3)
  • People of the River (North America's Forgotten Past, #4)
  • People of the Sea (North America's Forgotten Past, #5)
  • People of the Lakes (North America's Forgotten Past, #6)
  • People of the Lightning (North America's Forgotten Past, #7)
  • People of the Silence (North America's Forgotten Past, #8)
  • People of the Mist (North America's Forgotten Past, #9)
  • People of the Masks (North America's Forgotten Past, #10)