Start by marking “The First to Lie” as Want to Read:
The First to Lie

The First to Lie

What happens when an undercover reporter gets in too deep? And when a practiced liar has to face off with her own truth—how does she choose her true reality?

Who will be the first to lie?
Published August 4th 2020 by Forge Books

To ask other readers questions about The First to Lie, please sign up.
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The First to Lie
Nilufer Ozmekik
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WHAT THE HELL I JUST READ? My head is spinning and I already start to suffer from dissociative identity disorder. I don’t know who I am right now. I think I’m redhead, writing and reading to live and breathe with big weakness for French and Californian wines, silly dance moves and Tom Hardy! Okay: it is still me! But I cannot say the same for the characters in this book.

I think writing a review without giving any spoiler is the toughest thing about the story because at the beginning I thought t
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Okay..I might lose some friends over this review. I know this author is really popular and I wanted to love it. Just keep in mind, this is just MY opinion and I am just trying to keep it honest here. A ton of people have loved this book! The premise was really strong, it was just all was lost in the execution in my opinion.

A reporter trying to bust the big bad drug company that is destroying lives. Yesss please! I was immediately intrigued. Then the multiple POV's started rolling in. Just when a
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: She looked at him as she gathered her tote bag and new Pharminex briefcase. He seemed thoughtful, his eyes softening as he watched her. 'Affectionate', the word came to mind. Or maybe it was more tactics. She thought she'd been the first to lie in this relationship. But maybe he'd been the first. Maybe the first lie was only the beginning.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: What happens when an undercover reporter gets in too deep? And when a practiced liar has to face off with her own truth—how does she
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
About the book: Bestselling and award-winning author and investigative reporter Hank Phillippi Ryan delivers another twisty, thrilling cat and mouse novel of suspense that will have you guessing, and second-guessing, and then gasping with surprise.

My thoughts: The First to Lie is chock-full of twists, and it’s best to go in completely blind when reading this story of revenge and justice. It will make you question the ethics of right and wrong when it comes to the safety of your loved ones. I was
Debra
Aug 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Liar, Liar, Pants on fire....

I am not going to lie; this was not my favorite book by Hank Phillippi Ryan. I usually love and devour her books, but this one took a long time for me to get into. What I can give her high marks for is writing a relevant book. A big pharmaceutical company (Pharminex) has developed a drug to help women get pregnant, but what if it causes more harm than good?

Pharminex is owned by the wealthy, Vanderwald family. Ellie is a reporter who is trying to dig up dirt on the co
Bridgett
Aug 01, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
I had such high hopes for this novel...I mean, characters trying to take down Big Pharma? Yes, please! Unfortunately, it just never quite reached the point of cohesiveness I need to feel truly excited about a story.

The First to Lie had so many things I love...an interesting plot, intrigue, endless mystery and suspense, and twists galore. What it didn't have was believable characters...or believability, in general.

Characters impersonating other characters; and characters who were hired to sp
James
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 1-fiction
The First to Lie is a new thriller by Hank Phillippi Ryan released in mid 2020. Believe it or not, this is the first book of hers that I've read. I can also confirm it will not be the last. Wow! What a tremendous rollercoaster ride.

Told in multiple POVs, this novel is ripe with duplicity, confusion, double identities, and past secrets coming back with a vengeance. A wealthy family runs a pharmaceutical giant. The son and heir dies in a boating accident; his sister was there and almost died too.
Carolyn
Sir Walter Scott's famous quote:
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive" pretty much sums up this book in a nutshell. The lies and deceptions will have your brain tangled in knots as you try to keep track of them all.

Investigative journalist Ellie Berensen and her assistant Meg are working on a big story about a pharmaceutical company. Ellie has found out that Pharminex has been pushing doctors to prescribe an off label drug to woman with fertility problems. The only
Susan
Truth in Advertising.

The title gives an indication as to what’s to come: Lying. And more lying. So much so that it’s difficult to ascertain the story through the multiple characters and subterfuge.

Unlike others before me, I enjoyed the set up more than the conclusion.

I also feel that my enjoyment may have been greater had it been more tightly edited. Repetitiveness and dragging out of conversations and situations did not exactly propel me to pick the book back up after stepping away for real
Linda
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ya peel off the label on that ol' jar.....and there's another one underneath. Similar to the first, but oh so different. And, by the way, what the heck is actually in that jar?

That's what awaits us in The First to Lie. We've got a bevy of characters who put one foot forward with a certain persona only to fade drastically into another of an opposing hue. Who is the actual you?

Ellie Berensen is an investigative reporter for Channel Eleven in Boston. This new news gig is a start-up in a highly comp
Christina McDonald
May 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A flawlessly written mystery with twists around every corner, The First To Lie is a timely story about deceit, justice and revenge, all centered around the devastation wrought by a large pharmaceutical company and the family that owns it. Addictive and utterly compelling, Ryan has crafted a story that is ferociously smart and tightly plotted. You won’t want to put this one down until you’ve reached the final gasp-worthy conclusion!
Darinda
A big pharmaceutical company has a drug that promises to help with fertility, but the side effects are horrific and kept secret from the public. An investigative reporter wants to expose them. A sales rep with the company has her own agenda.

A story of lies and deception told using multiple points of view. The multiple POVs started off fine, but got more confusing as the story progressed. The plot was intricate and the characters were clever. In the end it was an entertaining thriller, but it too
Faith
Sep 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Revealing a lot about this book would definitely spoil it. To say it is twisty is an understatement. The story is told primarily in the alternating points of view of Nora, a sales rep for the pharmaceutical company Pharminex, and Ellie, a TV reporter investigating Pharminex. Ellie suspects that Pharminex has been pushing a fertility drug without adequately explaining its risks. There is also some backstory about the family that owns Pharminex. Just assume everyone in the book is lying. The motiv ...more
Mary Jackson _TheMaryReader
May 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020
You are going to be blown away. You never see this coming. You are going to be on the edge of your seat trying to figure out where Ryan is going with this story.
You think you have it figured out then boom, nope that's not who she is.
All I can say is that this is a must read and just true to figure it out as you read it.
4.5 stars and I HIGHLY recommend this one.
The Mary Reader received this book from the publisher for review. A favorable review was not required and all views expressed are our o
Julie (JuJu)
Aug 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads
This thriller is an endless flow of elaborate lies and deception that will overwhelm your mind.

I was intrigued after reading the latest newsletter from Christina McDonald, which included a review of the book and interview with the author. So I bumped it up on my TBR list!

I was drawn in immediately, but it took a bit to get my bearings and sketch out what was going on.

The writing was terrific, but the middle of the book was a little wordy and slow. Yes, it was far-fetched. The details felt ove
Lisa
A timely and dynamic story full of twists and turns.

SUMMARY
Pharminex, is a pharmaceutical company owned by the powerful and wealthy Vanderwald family. The company president Winton Trevor Vanderwald, Jr, is soon to be awarded the Massachusetts Medical Science Association’s Humanitarian of the Year award for his continuing and generous contributions to science and medicine. A huge gala will also be held to raise money for a scholarship in honor of the Vanderwald’s deceased son.

Pharminex has a ne
Suzanne Leopold (Suzy Approved Book Reviews)
Elle Berenson is an investigative reporter in Boston working on a story about a drug called Monifan. Rumors are circulating that the drug increases the chances of pregnancy but with a possible side effect of infertility. If Elle can break this story, it will propel her career as a reporter. Her research must be above board but that is challenged by her over-eager assistant Meg who lacks procedural ethics.

Nora Quinn is a representative for Monifan who spends her time meeting with patients who hav
Booker Wocky
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
Thanks to publishers and netgalley for providing me this eARC. First to Lie is a story about an evil Pharma company, Pharminex (aren't they all) and its wonder drug Monifan, which is supposed to help women conceive but one of its side effect is to render them infertile. This part is usually omitted by doctors who prescribe Monifan pushed by Pharminex.
The book revolves around Lacey and Brooke, who are out to destroy Pharminex as they both have been the victims of Monifan. This simple story is so
Kimberly Belle
Aug 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hank Philippi Ryan dazzles in First To Lie, an intricately plotted bag of tricks starring Ellie, Meg, and Nora, three women focused on a new fertility drug. Wealth and power, deceit and betrayal, greed…Philippi Ryan handles the big issues with a deft hand, tangling and then untangling the threads all the way to the flawless conclusion. A smart, relevant page-turner.
Vanessa Menezes
Jul 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I think writing a review for this book without giving any spoiler is going to be impossible for me. So I am just going to keep it simple!

An amazingly twisted book filled with mystery that will literally fry your brain thanks to the multiple characters and deception all through the book.

It took me a while to actually get into this because there are so many characters and each of their version is narrated in this book. Once I finally understood what was going on I just couldn't stop reading it and
Chandra Claypool (WhereTheReaderGrows)
FUCK YOU PHARMINEX!

end of review

JUST KIDDING! But yay for a storyline about bringing down a big pharma company that doesn't represent itself or its drug(s) the way it should. And then to use this towards women with fertility issues - let me just say that this makes my blood boil for a number of reasons..... But while this is the main part of the book in terms of storyline, let's take a big look at the characters that seem to be the most interesting thing within these pages.

Ok, first of all, I di
Karen’s Library
I love books with twists. The First to Lie was one of those books. Hank Phillippi Ryan kept me guessing throughout and I couldn’t turn the pages fast enough. And she had me at that first big twist. I couldn’t help but to gasp out loud more than once while reading this twisty psychological suspense novel.

In The First to Lie, we meet Ellie and Nora, and then we meet Brooke and Lacey. Ellie is an investigative reporter trying to uncover a story about a corrupt pharmaceutical company. Nora is a rep
Nursebookie
Jul 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Deception
Lies
Big Pharma

The First To Lie is an upcoming book by one of my favorite thriller queen authors, Hank P Ryan - who has won 5 Agatha awards and 37 Emmys among a few of her awards for her amazing books and investigative journalism.

The First to Lie is an exciting and twisty medical thriller about bringing down Pharminex, a giant pharmaceutical company who is marketing the use of a very expensive drug as non- formulary offering big promises to treat fertility issues in women, owned by the V
Ink_Drinker
Aug 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
The First to Lie is a mind-blowing, twisty thriller that will capture you on the first page and have you speed reading to get to the last page!! It will keep you guessing until the end.

This is the first time reading a book by this author, but it won't be my last!! I was not disappointed and I am an avid reader of mystery and thrillers.

Every time I thought I had everything figured out, I would realize I was wrong. That is my bar set for a great thriller!

Thank you Netgalley and MacmillanTor/Forg
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
What a tangled web of characters in this book.​

You won’t know who to trust or who is who in this twisty book that takes us into what power and money can do and what being an undercover reporter involves. ​

We get a glimpse into what people will do to save themselves, make money, reveal the truth, and keep the truth a secret.

A few of the characters were quite unlikable....well quite a few were.

​​Ms. Ryan did another marvelous job of keeping you guessing and wondering what is going to happen next.​
Michelle
May 11, 2021 rated it it was amazing
“They can fix anything. I tell myself that. I’ll try anything.”

Couples and women with the same devastating feeling as mentioned above are exactly how a “miracle drug” like Monifan can get away with murder, quite literally.

Pharmaceutical companies prey on people’s desperation to have children. They knowingly create and distribute a pill that may not only fail at helping to get you pregnant but have the opposite effect and cause you to be sterile. When you’re making millions of dollars, why worry
Kate Baxter
"Oh, what a tangled web we weave. When first we practise to deceive!" -Sir Walter Scott-

Aliases, conflicting stories and grand deception - this book has it all. There's Ellie, the eager investigative reporter who steps up her game as she assumes a position at a new Boston news agency. She's certain that digging into a Big Pharma company's secrets will be the big break she needs to make a name for herself. Then there's Nora who goes undercover at that same pharmaceutical firm to break this same n
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
The First To Lie is a stand alone book from Hank Philippi Ryan and I really wanted to loved it after reading so many fantastic reviews. It took me a really long time to get into this story with so many characters and points of view. And the characters all pretending to be someone else did not help. It was really confusing for a long time. In the end it was a good story but hard to stay on track with who was telling it.

It is a story of revenge, of a rich family who own a pharmaceutical company an
Heather~ Nature.books.and.coffee
"This was my first book by Hank and I found it really suspenseful. A wealthy family behind a pharmaceutical company has some secrets! A company that has a drug that promises the chances of getting pregnant will greatly increase, but could also cause complete sterility! There are alot of characters in this book. People who want to expose the truth behind this drug. Ellie, a reporter will do whatever it takes, going undercover! There were a few things I predicted and alot that I did not! I love a ...more
Melody McNamara
Nov 03, 2020 rated it it was ok
I usually enjoy this author's books, but this one didn't work for me. Multiple characters impersonating other characters made the story confusing and frankly unbelievable. Can't say more without revealing too much information, but really?? I know that many others seemed to like this book, so this is just my opinion... ...more

• SEAL's Honor (Alaska Force, #1)
  • Out of the Storm (Buckhorn, Montana, #1)
  • A Good Neighborhood
  • A California Christmas (Silver Springs, #7)
  • Lady in Waiting: My Extraordinary Life in the Shadow of the Crown
  • Next Level Basic: The Definitive Basic Bitch Handbook
  • Half Moon Bay (Clay Edison, #3)
  • Wild at Heart (Wild, #2)
  • The Weekend Away
  • Good Girls Lie
  • A Star Is Bored
  • The Getaway
  • When You See Me (Detective D.D. Warren, #11; Gardner Universe, #20)
  • Grand: A Memoir
  • The Amazing Mrs. Pollifax (Mrs. Pollifax, #2)
  • Murder at the Mena House (A Jane Wunderly Mystery #1)
  • Plum Springs
See top shelves…
Hank Phillippi Ryan is the USA Today bestselling author of eleven award winning novels of suspense. National reviews have called her a "master at crafting suspenseful mysteries" and "a superb and gifted storyteller." Her newest thriller, THE FIRST TO LIE, received a starred review from Publishers Weekly, calling it "Stellar."

Her earlier psychological thriller, THE MURDER LIST, received a *starred