Start by marking “Lie Like a Magpie” as Want to Read:
Lie Like a Magpie

Lie Like a Magpie

A YA Thriller about family ties, secrets and taking responsibility for your actions.

Maggie Morton is good at pretending. Pretending she can forget the past. Pretending she didn't make a life-changing mistake. Pretending her identity isn't faked.

She hides behind her cover as an 18-year-old Sixth Form student believing she can protect herself that way. If she can hold on to
Published June 5th 2020

I'm fine.

I'm fine.

I'M FIIIIINNNEEE.

THIS BOOK!!!

Okay, so I have a lot of conflicting feelings regarding this book.

I went back and forth on rating this at a 4-star or a 3-star for so many reasons.

I did not connect to the characters on an emotional level, but I did understand their own internal struggles and I wanted to know what would happen, and I wanted to see that they would get the happy ending they deserve.

I can't say too much about the plot because its all spoilers, but the suspense had me
Leonie ♡
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
“Lily made me emo with her book” 😭

WOW what a ride and journey I had with Lie Like a Magpie I can’t believe how good it was since I was going through a lot irl I found it a bit slow in the beginning but as I kept going it became enjoying the characters kept the fun of the story Lily knew how to write emphatic for her characters you feel their pain and emotions like real people they’re times I found Maggie annoying I wanted her just to kiss Josh or show him love because you can feel the love Josh
Amomentofgray
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: five-star-reads
Rachel Lidstone
May 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Where to begin?

I LOVED this book. The characters were incredibly compelling, the plot had me hooked from the first page, the dialogue and dynamics between characters had to be some of the most realistic I’ve ever read.

I devoured this book in leaps and bounds, and even though I usually struggle to get through books on my tablet (I usually prefer player books) I finished it in record time. And just let me say, I enjoyed every moment of it, right until the very end.

This book was a riveting, un-pu
Katie Pharoah
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
A fantastic read that reminds me of the TV show The End of the F**king World but with family crime circles.
You'll both love and hate the characters, with Josh being the perfect mix between boy next door and bad boy. His dynamic with Maggie is wonderful too as they try to navigate through their lives.
The pace switches between modern day and the past, not only to establish history, but to give you insights further into the characters.
All in all an easy thrilling read, with enough angst and fluf
Megan A.  A.
Sep 13, 2020 rated it really liked it
Usually I don't tend to like YA books, but Lily did a great job with this one! If I could have read it in one sitting I would have. Really enjoyed this book. ...more
Ximena
May 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Molly Looby
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Gosh, what a ride! The intrigue starts on the first page, and I for one couldn't stop reading! I wanted to find out more, more, more! Jumping from the present to the past and back again adds to the intrigue and lets us unravel the mystery at a delicious pace. It made me keep reading and reading! I read the whole thing in three days. On day 2, I read over 200 pages!
The descriptions are beautiful and thoughtful, and the topics raised really resonated (even though I have a much more normal life tha
Emmerita
Apr 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
“Pretending is just like lying. Fake the expressions, the words, the tone of your voice, and they’ll believe you. That’s the first fundamental of lying. And sometimes if you lie to yourself enough, you might just believe it too.”

Maggie Morton is good at pretending she’s a regular sixth form student without a special skill set capable of drawing unwanted attention to her and her family. When someone from her past resurfaces in her life – someone she called a friend and one of a few people who kno
Sameer Monn
Mar 21, 2021 rated it it was amazing
MY GOD THIS BOOK

it took me wayyyy too long to finish this book because I had so much going on in my life but HDBFHDBF this book was AMAZING. Lily manages to grip you with her hook-like writing style, and the brilliant prose and plot and it was all just edge-of-your-seat suspense. I loved the Romeo Juliet vibes and the ending was so good. (and sad) but good! The writing style was brilliant and easy to read, and it was such and enjoyable ride. I can't wait to read what Lily brings on next. Truly,
C.L.
Nov 29, 2020 rated it liked it
A debut YA thriller novel from an indie author, the story was an interesting mash up of Romeo and Juliet meets Spy Kids. A cool premise.

Lily
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I may be bias...

Hope you enjoy the book! :)
jenny wood
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well worth a read

A good read ,gripping from start to finish ,thoroughly enjoyable ,just have been as I couldn't put it down,had to know how it finished .I am looking forward to her next book.
MrsGhostlyxD
May 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
If you enjoy YA thrillers then you'd definitely enjoy this one. Two families at war, two children caught in their parents' battles. I enjoyed reading about the main character and loved the backstory which came with her. The meanings behind everything that happens were well thought out and the ending really made me think about how much we fight over the silliest things. A great way to ponder at the way we view our lives. ...more
Krishne Tanneerbavi

• I, Robot (Robot, #0.1)
  • Dune (Dune, #1)
  • Rhythm of Remembrance
  • The 24-Hour Café
  • The Roommate (The Roommate, #1)
  • Havenfall (Havenfall #1)
  • A ​Sky Beyond the Storm (An Ember in the Ashes, #4)
  • Blood for Blood (Wolf By Wolf, #2)
  • Among The Stars
  • The Dark Forest (Remembrance of Earth’s Past, #2)
  • Crazy Stupid Bromance (Bromance Book Club, #3)
  • Jonathan Livingston Seagull
  • Well Played (Well Met, #2)
  • Erratic and Unnecessary
  • Good Girl, Bad Blood (A Good Girl's Guide to Murder, #2)
  • Cast in Firelight (Wickery, #1)
  • Pandemic (The Extinction Files, #1)
Lily Anna spends most hours in the day writing, and the other hours reading. She believes her prime writing time is any time after midnight (which she also thinks is the best time to eat toast).

Born and raised near the East Coast of the UK, Lily gathers inspiration whilst on walks through forests, on empty beaches or whilst on train and car journeys.

She has more started stories than she can coun

News & Interviews

Secrets between siblings, grandparents with grievances, parents with problems. If you're looking for serious drama, check out these new...