Start by marking “Child of the Universe” as Want to Read:
Child of the Universe

Child of the Universe

Just like the sun gives shine to the moon,
you light up the world beyond this room . . .
You are grand and marvelous, strong and mysterious.
The history of the world is in your fingertips.

A meditation on the preciousness of one child and the vastness of the universe, this picture book shares the measure of a parent's love along with the message that we are all connected to
Published March 17th 2020 by Make Me a World

To ask other readers questions about Child of the Universe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Child of the Universe

Start your review of Child of the Universe
Andrew
The illustrations in this book are nothing short of extraordinary. As a father tells his daughter how she belongs in this universe, made of the same atoms and pieces that make up the vast space of our existence, she takes a journey to stunning worlds and phenomena far off of Earth. Our being is connected to everything, and this book does a glorious job of expressing that. Child of the Universe is worthy of a Caldecott, if you ask me.
BreeAnn (She Just Loves Books)
What I Loved:
The illustrations in Child of the Universe were absolutely beautiful. My daughter was captivated and requested multiple times that we go back a page so she could look a little more. The illustrator, Raúl Colón, did an excellent job of matching the story to his artwork. It was lovely!

How I Felt:
The focus of this story is on how we, as humans, are all a part of the universe. Our bodies are made up of atoms and stardust. We are all connected, and we are special.

As the father in the
Amanda Zirn Hudson
A stunningly beautiful picture book that will take away any reader's breath with its vivid illustrations and lyrical words. The perfect bedtime book for readers of all ages - an instant classic.
Tasha
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This picture book takes the science of how atoms move through the universe and then shows how that makes us all very special. Through the eyes of one father and his child, each of us is celebrated for our connection to stars, planets and the entire universe. The story is told in lyrical verse that connects the child to the sun, the moon and faraway planets. The little girls features and hair are all compared to the Milky Way and the shine of the cosmos, inextricably tying them to one another. ...more
Abby Johnson
What is a synonym for "gorgeous"? I feel like I always use that word to describe picture books I'm head over heels about. Well, this is one, too. I love, love, love the muted yet dazzling illustrations in this affirming book that describes all the beautiful ways a beloved child is like the wonders of the universe.
Barbara
This one is a 3.5 for me, and I certainly loved the sumptuous colored pencil illustrations that fill the book's pages. I also appreciated the gentle but firm reminder that humans are connected to the stars and the universe and that we truly are stardust, descended from the stars as well as being a part of them down to our very essence. In this picture book, a father puts his daughter to bed after reminding her just how special she is and that she is a part of the universe. While I'm not fond of ...more
Donalyn
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Stunning illustrations!
Lynn
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An elemental physics bedtime poem from a father to his child. He tells her she is made of stars and in the poem connects each us to each other and to everything in the universe. The absolutely breath-taking illustrations and the lyrical text create a dream-like feel to the story but there is also a vivid sense of the connection we have to each other and to the world at the most basic of levels.

Ray Jayawardhana is an astrophysicist and in an Author's Note he expands on the science behind the
Andréa
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
Note: I received an F&G from the publisher at ALA Midwinter 2020.
Nov 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

• Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You
  • Nesting
  • From the Desk of Zoe Washington
  • The Night Is for Darkness
  • You Don't Want a Dragon!
  • Stargazing
  • My Best Friend
  • The Boy and the Wild Blue Girl
  • Frankly in Love (Frankly in Love, #1)
  • The Girl of Fire and Thorns (Fire and Thorns, #1)
  • The Night Lion
  • This Is It
Ray Jayawardhana is a professor and the Canada Research Chair in Observational Astrophysics at the University of Toronto. Originally from Sri Lanka, he is a graduate of Yale and Harvard. He is the co-author of more than one hundred papers in scientific journals. His discoveries have made headlines worldwide, including in The Times, The Economist, Sydney Morning Herald, and BBC News, and have led ...more