Start by marking “Inquisitor’s Foil (Illusionist #3)” as Want to Read:
Inquisitor’s Foil (Illusionist #3)

Inquisitor’s Foil

(The Illusionist #3)

He's a part-time Imperial hero, full-time thief. Lucky for him, she's not that kind of Inquisitor.

Illusionist and novice spy Alan Campbell just got out of one relationship only to have another woman walk into his life: the Lady Camilla Favonius of the Imperial Inquisition. He's close to broke and left without orders. She wears plate armor in the field and around her heart.
Kindle Edition
Published July 30th 2019

To ask other readers questions about Inquisitor’s Foil, please sign up.
D.J. Bodden Hey there! Guess I don't get notifications about these. Good question, though, I like the way your mind works :) I think there's a lot of room to dig …moreHey there! Guess I don't get notifications about these. Good question, though, I like the way your mind works :) I think there's a lot of room to dig into that, like how and why did Thanatos turn bad (if he even did)? If he did falsify the data, how did people feel after they spent their "last moments" on Earth fighting and looting? Did the governments fire off all their nukes at "Astrea," right before the end? What if ONE government held theirs back? And do the people in the VIP vault know? What if the survivors said "Screw those guys in their fancy vault" and built a utopia without corruption or politics?(less)

Start your review of Inquisitor’s Foil (Illusionist #3)
Jonathon
Feb 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great addition

Personally I think this VGO spin off is just as entertaining as the original series. I find Alan very human, and not like some other protagonist that just start getting ridiculously high powered. It's a refreshing change and I look forward to the next book.
Eric_R
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good Read

The writing in here is solid and the character development is good. I think the story seems to drag a bit and you are excited to see more happening. But the author still keeps you reading. Overall, I liked it and don’t regret the time spent reading it, but I wish for more to happen, more world building, more going on with the character, and give it a lil more Litrpg feel.

Check it out yourself!!!
Lissette
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
For Alan Campbell, getting used to Viridian Online hasn't been easy. In the blink of an eye, he's lived what's felt like a thousand lives. It doesn't help that in real life he's no longer amongst the living. Determined to make the most of his new life, he throws himself into learning everything he can about the world around him, most especially when it comes to the specifics for his class kit. Deep inside, he knows the world as he knows it isn't quite safe. Nevertheless, he'll do everything poss ...more
Jake
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stellar continuation of one of my favorite series

I've been following Alan through all of his crazy and amazing adventures. This story by far has captured the absolute of Alan and shows just how amazing but tough his life is. Not only do we get Alab but we get his PIC Jeff to.

I dont like going into details during my reviews but there will be a bit of spoilers included in the bit below. You can skip to the end to hear why you need to buy this book and read it right now.

Spoilers******

Alan in this s
Lana
Aug 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Illusionist series yet Alan has not come to grips with his class choice and I just wish he would start advancing and gaining some levels as he is not getting any richer or stronger either as an illusionist or as a thief, no matter the new name he acquired. I found this book a bit too complicated in that there were three strands of the story going at the same time, there was the Robert Osmark side, Jeff's side and of course Alan's but none of them seemed to be at any p ...more
Steve
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gamelit-litrpg
Another solid book in this series, but it just didn't quite grab me like the first two did.

I think I wasn't liking Allan as much in this book, and when I stop really liking the MC it really detracts from my experience. He came across to me as a smug jerk, and it wasn't working for me. That said, it's very well written as I expect from the author. I didn't quite get the Nil action I was hoping for (e.g. I thought it and Allan should be off adventuring) but the bonus background info was interestin
Clint Young
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Alert

I hate trying to write reviews because there are really only pass/fail results for me. Did I make it all the way through? Yes? 5 stars. No? There would be nothing here to read. In all fairness, if an author holds my attention from page one to the end, they’ve done their job. Anything less than 5 stars is petty criticism from someone incapable of even doing the job let alone doing a better one.

So in respect for the author and their work, I am going to start pasting this along with a generic
Steve
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good read, and am enjoying the series.

The books are a little too short, almost like reading a short story instead of a novel. I wish authors in general would get back to longer stories.

Also, with books this short I forget what happened because I read the last short story 6 months ago and forgot everything...so a nice summery of the previous book (or books) as a prologue to the book would be super helpful. Help me remember who is who, what happened, and major plot points in a 1 to 2 page summary
Jerry
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
I tore through the first three Illusionist books in just a couple of days. I really enjoyed them and happy to say I lost some sleep due to these. The wit and dialogue are fun. Also, I cant help but envision Alan as a fantasy representation of Donald Glover. I'm not sure if the author used him as a reference but it's a perfect match IMO. Definitely a recommendation for me. ...more
Andy L
Aug 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An absolute pleasure

Juggling one main story and several sub plots, we get a delightful and sometimes moving ride along as our hero Alan tries to make a living in this new world. It’s a Prequel to the VGO series but it more than stands on its own, with some of the most vivid and human characters I’ve read in the genre.
Benjamin L
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A little bit everywhere, But good

I do really like this series. This book does jump around a bit much. Sometimes you have to stop and ask, "Whose talking now?" It is not real bad; but, the author does need to watch the run-on conversations. That is what cost it a star for me.
Pat
Oct 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great story but

Another amazing tale from Viridian. This section of the overarching Viridian story seems to come with a lot of different POVs which feels weird but does make sense overall, even if it seems like Alan doesn't do much
Chris Block
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As good as the main series

Honestly, I knew this one was gonna be five stars after the "nostalgia buff scene". The author really comes into his own with how the characters interact and the dialogue. 100% recommend.
Jack Vinson
Oct 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: litrpg-2019
This can’t be the end

I feel like I’ve had the same sentiment about many of these serials. There has to be more. In this case, it seems like there are still several loose ends to clean up. And wrap them into the original VGO story line.
Scott
Jul 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another great story continues

I loved this one as we see more and more of the overminds and Alan as he progresses.
Very well thought out and a welcome addiction to the VGO universe
Chris Bell
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I do love this character. The illusionist career development and the writing is fresh and engaging. It has been a lovely trilogy and a welcome return to the world of Viridian Gate Online.
I'm just hoping there will be more?
Shonari
Oct 23, 2019 rated it liked it
This one wasn't very good. The ending felt rushed and no real conclusion. ...more
John M Smith
Apr 04, 2021
Dawn Peabody
Aug 25, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Darkling Siege (Viridian Gate Online #7)
  • Viridian Gate Online: Path of the Blood Phoenix (The Firebrand Series Book 3)
  • Embers of Rebellion (Viridian Gate Online: The Firebrand, #2)
  • Firebrand (Viridian Gate Online: The Firebrand, #1)
  • Absolution (Viridian Gate Online: The Alchemic Weaponeer, #2)
  • Vindication (Viridian Gate Online: The Alchemic Weaponeer, #1)
  • Doom Forge (Viridian Gate Online #6)
  • The Artificer (The Imperial Initiative #1)
  • The Lich Priest (Viridian Gate Online #5)
  • Viridian Gate Online: Insurrection (The Alchemic Weaponeer #3)
  • Imperial Legion (Viridian Gate Online #4)
  • The Jade Lord (Viridian Gate Online #3)
  • Crimson Alliance (Viridian Gate Online #2)
  • Troll Nation (The Rogue Dungeon Book #3)
  • Rogue Evolution (The Rogue Dungeon, #4)
  • The Ascent  (Eden's Gate #6)
  • Bibliomancer (The Completionist Chronicles: Wolfman Warlock, #1)
  • Annex (Artorian's Archives #3)
D.J. Bodden is a tech-startup COO who writes books because words are magic. He's an avid reader of science-fiction and fantasy, a gamer, a former pilot and coffee trader who's been to every continent but Antarctica. He's been woken up by gunfire, jumped out of helicopters, and climbed medium-sized hills in scorching weather; He likes to make people laugh for the wrong reasons; He tries to sell peo ...more

The Illusionist (3 books)
  • Nomad Soul (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #1)
  • Dead Man's Tide (Viridian Gate Online: The Illusionist, #2)