Start by marking “Happy & You Know It” as Want to Read:
Happy & You Know It

Happy & You Know It

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  14,217 ratings  ·  1,920 reviews
A dark, witty page-turner set around a group of wealthy mothers and the young musician who takes a job singing to their babies and finds herself pulled into their glamorous lives and dangerous secrets….

Published May 19th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Happy & You Know It, please sign up.
Laura Hankin Oh, I certainly do not mean to broadly diss midwesterners! Claire has bad memories of the specific small town in the Midwest where she grew up, becaus…moreOh, I certainly do not mean to broadly diss midwesterners! Claire has bad memories of the specific small town in the Midwest where she grew up, because it was a place where her differences were not accepted. And while writing from the perspectives of some of the mothers, I hoped to capture that "New York is the center of the universe" feeling that NYC residents can sometimes have (and which I've fallen prey to at times myself!), to show why they might be extra-motivated to keep up appearances/spend a lot of money to stay there! Hope this helps :)(less)
Laura Hankin Hi! It's definitely got some steamy bits, so probably 18 and up (unless you're a very precocious teen who loves reading about the problems of women in…moreHi! It's definitely got some steamy bits, so probably 18 and up (unless you're a very precocious teen who loves reading about the problems of women in their thirties...)(less)

·  14,217 ratings  ·  1,920 reviews

Start your review of Happy & You Know It
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the universe of “Super powered trust fund Manhattan penthouse moms”! They can’t be defined as regular stay-at-home moms. They are full of energy with their shiny, beautiful hairs, wearing their designer clothes (especially blouses) or casually Lululemon yoga pants, drinking wines, already lost their pregnancy weights, running around from different activities to another social gatherings.
Now they created a play group for their children but instead of their babies, they all play no wo
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
*** Yayy!! This is a BOTM option this month****

Well hello....mommy club book! What a refreshing book this was. I flew through this entertaining read in less than 24 hours. Not being a mommy myself (except for my adorable dogs) I wasn't sure if this would be a book I would click with. No worries here! If you have a sense of humor, like some entertainment and like a little mystery and frenemy type behavior...this is it!

This book was a snarky adorable look at motherhood struggles, life struggles an
Gabby
This story was okay but I feel like it was missing that something to make it great. I love stories like this that follow a bunch of rich privileged moms and then someone new is getting sucked into their world, it’s one of my favorite tropes - but I feel like this would’ve worked so much better as a thriller, as opposed to a contemporary.

I really enjoyed the first 200 pages, I was invested in all the entertaining drama and secrets, but then once we get into the part with the (view spoiler)
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Laura Hankin has joined us in The Behind the Pages group for a spoiler-free Q & A . To see what she had to say about Happy & You Know It you can find the thread here

Hurray! I am happy, and I want to show it!! Happy & You Know it was another book from that stack of not my normal that surprised me. Again I find myself feeling like a little kid on the playground wanting to share my joy with everyone or more like wanting to share my joy with friends and a bot
Kaceey
An unexpected delight

Was a bit nervous as I first started this book, thinking it would be all about rich women and their play dates for their privileged children. While that does serve as the backdrop of this story-line, there’s so much more to uncover within the pages.

Claire misses the opportunity of a life time when her band shot to stardom… without her. Now she finds herself reduced to playing kiddy tunes for toddlers at play dates around New York City. Offering a glimmer of hope, Claire has
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy & You Know It is such a unique read! It centers around an elite group of mothers who hire a musician to sing to their children.

Claire is the musician hired to perform for a play dates for these Park Avenue moms. She never imagines she’d fall in love with this work, but she does. She even grows to like the well-to-do moms.

Each of the moms has some drama and secrets of her own. Claire becomes closer and closer to them, and what she finds is a darkness she never could have imagined.

Happy & Yo
Theresa Alan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a WONDERFUL novel. For the first part of it, I couldn’t figure out why I was turning the pages too fast to take notes, which I usually do when there are this many characters involved. There’s Claire, who was unceremoniously dumped by her band for another singer who was curvier and sexier, which would have been rough on its own, but what’s worse is that shortly after they made the change, they catapulted to fame and have the number one song in the country, while she’s taking on unglamorou ...more
Katie B
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a few chapters to really get into this one but soon after I was hooked. And I don't think you necessarily have to be a parent and/or active on social media to find this to be a worthwhile read.

Claire is a musician who is struggling to make ends meet so she takes a job as a playgroup entertainer for a group of privileged mothers and their babies. Not the most exciting gig especially considering her former band is experiencing fame and fortune without her. The longer Claire hangs around
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Claire lost her gig with a band right as they hit it big. She is down on her luck and in need of a job. So when a upper class mommy group needs a singer? She is on it!

Once she gets into these women's lives she realizes that maybe they aren't just the upper class housewives that she originally thought. (view spoiler)

This book is just pure fun. Especially if you a
Corina
I must admit the book lulled me in a little. But the twist at the end caught me by total surprise. In the end the book was different from what I expected, but nevertheless captivating.

Thanks to great drama. And a plot that went an unexpected path. I had a great time reading this book. It was easy and entertaining – which makes for a great summer novel.

The entertainment value was high with this novel, especially the realistic and sometimes scandalous portrayal of rich moms with their problems. An
Larry H
May 31, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy and You Know It , Laura Hankin's new novel, is an insightful, humorous commentary on the pressures of motherhood.

Claire has impeccable timing: she gets kicked out of her band just before their meteoric rise to fame. Now, barely able to make ends meet and filling her spare time with alcohol, she’s forced to take a job as a musician for a children’s playgroup.

But as hellish as the job sounds, the wealthy mothers whose infants make up the playgroup take a shine to Claire. There’s Whitney,
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to Elisha at Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review
"Women don’t have to be perfect to be worthy."

I don't really know where to start because this book was all over the place in the best way possible.

So, what's this book about?
After her former band shot to superstardom without her, Claire reluctantly agrees to a gig as a playgroup musician for overprivileged infants on New York’s Park Avenue. Claire is surprised to discover that
Book of the Month
Why I love it
by Zibby Owens

As a mom of four kids, a New Yorker, and the host of a literary podcast, I love reading stories that poke fun at the craziness of modern motherhood, especially those that take place in Manhattan. After long days of caretaking—especially now in the coronavirus quarantine when I’m (supposed to be) overseeing homeschooling—I crave the moment when I can fall into bed and crack open a book that I know will make me laugh. That’s why Laura Hankin’s debut novel, Happy & You Kn
Susanne  Strong
Jul 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Brilliant, Insightful and Totally Hilarious!

What’s a girl to do when she’s fired from her job as the lead singer for an up and coming band? Become a musician for a children’s playgroup of course! Sounds less than stellar I know, but thankfully the pay is good and believe it or not the “Mommies” are actually (dare I say), nice.

When Claire accepts the gig, she has no idea what she is getting herself into. She is accepted by the Mommies in a way she did not anticipate. Little does Claire know tha
Catherine Woodward
Aug 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
Witty, fun, and a bit twisted! Claire is a twentysomething reeling from her unexpected departure from the band Vagabond, as another glamorous singer has turned from temporary help to her permanent replacement. As the band rockets to fame, Claire feels betrayed and doesn't know where her life and career is headed. She then stumbles onto an opportunity to become a singer to babies at a playgroup for rich mothers, and her initial reluctance to accept the position full-time quickly disappears as she ...more
Lori
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Everything is not as it seems with these lil posh mommas!

Quick, fun, light entertainment. Sometimes it’s nice to just lose yourself in other people’s crazy dysfunctional lives. Reminded me a lot of a Liane Moriarty novel. Ending a bit much but along the lines of what I’d expected. 4 stars.
Darinda
May 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Claire is in her late twenties and struggling with the loss of her music career. Her former band replaced her just before they hit it big. She still has bills to pay though, so she takes a gig as music leader for a playgroup. As Claire gets to know the moms, she is surprised that she starts to like them. The moms seem to have it all together, but there are secrets under that glossy exterior.

The mom group consists of six women. Whitney is the group leader and has a picture-perfect lifestyle. Amar
Emily
Jun 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This one is a big YES for me. I think of this as as sort of literary adult cousin to Gossip Girl meets Liane Moriarty and Celeste Ng. It's a story about women, and the expectations placed on them by the outside world and each other, and about the secret parts of ourselves that we try to hide in the pursuit of perfection.

It is smart, but perhaps more importantly, to me, is that it's hilarious. Laura Hankin has such an acerbic wit and sharp viewpoint, and she tells the stories of difficult women
Melanie  Brinkman
Is motherhood as miraculous as the momstagram posts make it look?

After her former band shot to Superstardom without her, Claire reluctantly agrees to take a gig as a playgroup musician for infants on New York's Park Avenue. She's the most surprised of all to discover that she is smitten with her new employers: wealthy, shiny, energetic mothers who seem to have it all. But as Claire gets pulled into the world of the magnificent mommies, she discovers what's really hidden behind the glamour.

It tu
Denise
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
My May BOTM, and I must say, I loved it! It's a clever, witty, snarky foray into the lives of privileged mommies and their overprivileged babies, with a surprising thriller aspect!

After her former band rose to stardom after letting her go, struggling musician, Claire, lowers herself to accept a job as a once-a-week playgroup musician for wealthy moms and their barely-able-to-walk babies in NYC. Claire is instantly smitten with the moms and vice versa, but she quickly finds herself pulled into
Elizabeth
May 12, 2020 rated it it was ok
I will not remember a darn thing about this vapid palate cleanser in 2 days, I guarantee it. Not only that, but in the 2 days before I forget the entire plot of this book, I will recommend it to exactly zero people. All the characters are miserable, none of them can be honest to save their lives, and they swear like sailors. Profanity is not a dealbreaker for me but it was too much in this one. And I could have done without the smutty details of a trashy affair, thanks.
Nenia ✨️ Socially Awkward Trash Panda ✨️ Campbell
This sounds amazing and I love the cover
Tinichix (nicole)
Shelves: 2020, botm
This was a quick easy read. To me a good vacation/summer read. I had other things going on so didn’t finish this as quickly as I would have liked to, but this could easily be a weekend read. There were a lot of characters but for this particular story it worked. There were a couple that were possibly not necessary but the number of characters wasn’t a deal breaker. The story was easy to follow. I didn’t find myself overly attached to any one character and I do miss that when it doesn’t happen. O ...more
Melanie (mells_view)
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy & You Know It was extremely refreshing. Not only is it well written, but it was blessing me with unexpected content throughout the entire story. From the blurb I expected a young musician doing a job that she didn’t want by running a children’s music play group. What I got was the “rich Manhattan mommy” experience that could translate perfectly into a television show. I swear, there are laughs, tears, and even a bit of mystery. There are a few instances in this one that I found extremely r ...more
Chandra Claypool (wherethereadergrows)
3.5 stars.

I ended up having more fun with this book than I thought I would. I think maybe it would've resonated better if I was a mommy in a mommy group? As such, I think I related more with Claire than with anyone else, since she was basically on the outside of this and just trying to figure things out. Boy did she get more than she bargained for!

I read this a bit as a satire but I do think this book touches on some interesting topics. The image to look perfect... especially via social media. T
Lauren Hopkins
Jun 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was hot trash. No other words for it. I expected a funny hot take on Upper East Side moms but it's barely amusing and hardly a hot take, so I found myself just annoyed by these idiotic women and even more annoyed by a story that was straight nonsense from start to finish. I felt like this was all over the place with nothing really to tie it together, aside from some contrived plot about supplements the women are taking that fits into like 5% of the overall story, but ends up being the clima ...more
Shannon Rochester
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you to Net Galley and the Publisher for my digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I think when I requested this book, I didn't know it was fiction. I thought it would be a self help book on realizing how to make yourself happy. I tend to read those a lot. BUT when I started it, I was immediately drawn to the characters. Claire is a struggling musician who got kicked out of a band just as they were hitting it big...she is now forced to take side jobs just to make ends meet. Which is
MaryBeth's Bookshelf
May 26, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This was a quick, fun summer read. It's about Claire Martin, who was just been kicked out of the band that she helped launch to stardom, who now must find a way to support herself. She answers an ad for a playgroup musician and is sucked in to more than she bargained for. Behind the facade of perfect mothers and perfect children set in the perfect Park Avenue apartment, Claire begins to unravel the secrets of this group of Moms. It's about friendship, motherhood, and what we do to survive.
Emily
Apr 12, 2020 rated it liked it
3.5⭐

Happy & You Know It is an upcoming dramatic novel about a glamorous group of young moms in New York. The synopsis gave me Gossip Girl vibes, so I was excited when I heard about it!

The book starts off really well with a mysterious opening, but unfortunately, I feel like it never really lived up to the beginning. This story was slower than I expected - there was a lot of background info on characters that I hadn't really been given a reason to care about yet.

Some interesting elements were int
Aga Durka
Apr 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy & You Know It is definitely an entertaining read. It’s perfect for anyone that loves some privileged mom/baby playgroup drama, social media influencer problems, humor, and a twist of mystery added into the mix. This was a page-turner for me, and I am still unable to pinpoint what made me turn those pages so fast, but I read this book in 24 hours. It was simply addictive. Witty, scandalous, and a little dark at times, this book is a perfect brain pleaser if you’re looking for a fast and am ...more
Book of The Month: Happy & You Know It *SPOILER DISCUSSION* 2 42 Jun 02, 2020 07:18AM

• One to Watch
  • The Last Flight
  • A Good Marriage
  • The Night Swim
  • The Unraveling of Cassidy Holmes
  • Randomize
  • Emergency Skin
  • You Have Arrived at Your Destination
  • Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • The Companions
  • Abducted (Lizzy Gardner, #1)
  • Head Over Heels
  • The Book of Lost Friends
  • After I Do
  • The Antidote For Everything
  • Redhead by the Side of the Road
  • Beach Read
  • Under the Rainbow
Laura Hankin is the author of HAPPY & YOU KNOW IT and the upcoming A SPECIAL PLACE FOR WOMEN. She's written for outlets like McSweeney's and HuffPost, while her musical comedy has been featured in The New York Times, The Washington Post, and more. She splits her time between New York, where she has performed off-Broadway and on onscreen, and Washington, DC, where she once fell off a treadmill twic ...more