Start by marking “Happy & You Know It” as Want to Read:
Happy & You Know It

Happy & You Know It

A dark, witty page-turner set around a group of wealthy mothers and the young musician who takes a job singing to their babies and finds herself pulled into their glamorous lives and dangerous secrets.

After her former band shot to superstardom without her, Claire reluctantly agrees to a gig as a playgroup musician for overprivileged infants on New Yorks Park Avenue. Claire
Expected publication: May 19th 2020 by Berkley

To ask other readers questions about Happy & You Know It, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy & You Know It

Start your review of Happy & You Know It
Nilufer Ozmekik
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Welcome to the universe of Super powered trust fund Manhattan penthouse moms! They cant be defined as regular stay-at-home moms. They are full of energy with their shiny, beautiful hairs, wearing their designer clothes (especially blouses) or casually Lululemon yoga pants, drinking wines, already lost their pregnancy weights, running around from different activities to another social gatherings.
Now they created a play group for their children but instead of their babies, they all play no work
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: edelweiss
Well hello....mommy club book! What a refreshing book this was. I flew through this entertaining read in less than 24 hours. Not being a mommy myself (except for my adorable dogs) I wasn't sure if this would be a book I would click with. No worries here! If you have a sense of humor, like some entertainment and like a little mystery and frenemy type behavior...this is it!

This book was a snarky adorable look at motherhood struggles, life struggles and fricking funny all wrapped into one. Get
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Claire lost her gig with a band right as they hit it big. She is down on her luck and in need of a job. So when a upper class mommy group needs a singer? She is on it!

Once she gets into these women's lives she realizes that maybe they aren't just the upper class housewives that she originally thought. (view spoiler)

This book is just pure fun. Especially if you a
Theresa Alan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a WONDERFUL novel. For the first part of it, I couldnt figure out why I was turning the pages too fast to take notes, which I usually do when there are this many characters involved. Theres Claire, who was unceremoniously dumped by her band for another singer who was curvier and sexier, which would have been rough on its own, but whats worse is that shortly after they made the change, they catapulted to fame and have the number one song in the country, while shes taking on unglamorous ...more
Katie B
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
It took me a few chapters to really get into this one but soon after I was hooked. And I don't think you necessarily have to be a parent and/or active on social media to find this to be a worthwhile read.

Claire is a musician who is struggling to make ends meet so she takes a job as a playgroup entertainer for a group of privileged mothers and their babies. Not the most exciting gig especially considering her former band is experiencing fame and fortune without her. The longer Claire hangs around
Tucker

Many thanks to Elisha at Berkley Publishing Group for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Twitch | Pinterest | Reddit | LinkedIn |
Melanie (mells_view)
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy & You Know It was extremely refreshing. Not only is it well written, but it was blessing me with unexpected content throughout the entire story. From the blurb I expected a young musician doing a job that she didnt want by running a childrens music play group. What I got was the rich Manhattan mommy experience that could translate perfectly into a television show. I swear, there are laughs, tears, and even a bit of mystery. There are a few instances in this one that I found extremely ...more
TL
Nov 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this via goodreads giveaways ,thanks! All my opinions are my own.
*****

(Couldn't resist haha.. wish I could make cute gifs sometimes)

Ended liking this one more than I thought I would :)

Sometimes I was snorting and rolling my eyes at some of the things the ladies did but not in a "took away from the story" type of of way. Kind of like hanging out with friends who do some crazy things and you roll your eyes but don't say anything (most of the time... my closest friends can read my face
Genevieve Trono
Jan 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Happy & You Know It is basically a beach read on steroids. I was looking for some escape reading and hade a perfect mix of twists and humor. Its fast-paced, witty and a little dark.

While it was a little out there with the exaggerated plot, it totally worked in so many ways. It had a relatable take on upper-class new motherhood, social media and other cultural phenomena.

You either loved or hated these characters which were part of the appeal. It was super readable, engaging and not as
Hbarudin
Feb 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I am a slow reader who's easily distracted, and I couldn't put this book down. The fully-imagined, complex characters lead lives in a world that's both definitely grounded in reality, but with an entertaining emphasis on this very specific way of life that's just crazy enough to be true. The story is entertaining, affirming, and redeeming in all the best possible ways. Great, great, great. HIGHLY recommend.
Theresa
Feb 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
In compliance with FTC guidelines------I received this book free from a Goodreads Giveaway in exchange for an honest review. The content of this review is not influenced by that fact. The feelings expressed are solely mine. I sincerely appreciate the chance to read and review this book.

4.5 stars rounded down to 4 due to Goodreads lack of a 1/2 rating capability.

This book was a really good light, easy read. It was entirely brain candy and that is not a bad thing. It was exactly what was needed.
Donna Hines
Motherhood, over privileged newborns, social media influencers.. it's all here.
You know the labels, the way women are viewed, and held to a higher standard of perfection? It's about time we acknowledge it all..
As women, we are constantly down on ourselves and afraid to seek what we need for fear of being told,"No" or worse that we are selfish and undeserving of such accolades. Powerful women are something to be feared not celebrated in the current culture.
I love the characters in this one as
Jessica Strawser
I thought I might be reaching my saturation point for witty takes on privileged playgroups and Instagram moms -- but this novel was a pleasant surprise. Observant, entertaining, and delightfully unpredictable, with characters I came to like (or like to hate) and an ending that was satisfying without tying everything up in too neat of a bow. A quick and mischievous read -- I'll be looking for more from this author!
Kathleen
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A razor-sharp dissection of the perils of upper-income motherhood.
Janet
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
When it is snowy and cold outside, superspeed readers like me can read 250+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book and many more today. LOL

A dark, witty page-turner about a struggling young musician who
Coleen
Apr 02, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was a paperback book and not a Hardcover one.

Having been a member of a mothers/babies group when my boys were babies [La Lech League], I could 'almost' relate to the group of friends in the book. ALMOST because these New York City Park Avenue mothers were ultra rich with expensive homes, servants and trust funds. None of my friends had those. But the story is a good one that touched on social media, most of which I was totally unfamiliar, and family and money relationships.

Claire is one of
Phyllis Krall
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Motherhood Is explored amongst the wealthy mothers and their infants, who live a glamorous life on Park Avenue in New York City. The personal issues that new mothers have are revealed in this page turner.

Claire is a musician who has just lost her job with a band. She becomes a singer for a playgroup of wealthy babies and befriends their mothers. Nothing is at all what it seems to be. Secrets are revealed that are shocking, and Claire finds herself immersed in their lives and becomes part of
Lovell Holder
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I had the immense pleasure of reading an early copy of this delicious novel, and I was thoroughly engrossed by the intricate, funny, and frequently poignant web that Laura Hankin weaves. Equal parts "Big Little Lies" and "Gossip Girl" (if one were to check in on Blair and Serena a few years into raising toddlers), "Happy & You Know It" resonates with a profound sense of irony and a remarkable amount of compassion for its characters, providing a knowing window into a collection of New York ...more
Janine
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
3 and a half.
Feb 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is one of those unexpected surprise reads that I ended up enjoying.

I started the book and was kind of iffy. These women were a little annoying. I couldnt relate to most of them. I gave it a chance and kept going. I am SO glad that I did! While some of the characters were annoying to start, I had changed my mind about most of them by the end. There are twists and turns I didnt see coming. That is what made this book enjoyable for me. I love when I dont see how a book is going to end!
Sash Bischoff
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Laura Hankin has done it! This book is sinfully delicious - grab a bottle of wine and a pint of your favorite ice cream and start reading now! Sharp, sexy, devilishly fun, and a delightful escape - you won't be able to put it down!
Harrison Hill
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I **loved** this book fun, propulsive, sexy, with nice social commentary folded in. The voice has a fabulous snap and confidence... lots of sharp jabs and funny moments in a story that is full of satisfying twists. Highly recommended!! 👏👏👏👏 ...more
Ashley Moellinger
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
FIRST BOOK REVIEW! 5/5
The book opens with a flash forward to a group of women running down E 94th St in NYC as they run after a woman covered in vomit, dressed in a mink coat, and pushing an empty stroller...and by the time the book catches up to this moment, this scene makes complete sense. 😂

I thoroughly enjoyed Happy and You Know It by @laurahankin (swipe for back cover synopsis). I received an advance reading copy at the Book Fair for Grownups hosted by @penguinrandomhouse - thank you,
Critter
Jan 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, giveaways
After Claire finds herself kicked out of her band and replaced by a singer who is better and prettier than she is, she accepts a job singing to upper class infants. Much to her own surprise, she finds herself befriending the women who run the playgroup. But as she is starting to form bonds with these women, she discovers a secret that could ruin the playgroup and destroy the lives the women have carefully constructed.

This book ensnared me from the beginning. It was so much fun to read and was
Meghan
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library
This book was received as an ARC from Berkley Publishing Group in exchange for an honest review. Opinions and thoughts expressed in this review are completely my own.

My first take on this book was thinking that it was going to take a different direction but this book did a complete 180 that surprised me in the best possible way. Happy and You Know It reflects on the life of Claire, a former musician and band member turned playgroup musician befriending a group of wealthy, fitness junky mothers.
Sharen
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A dark, witty page-turner, indeed! It doesn't matter if you have kids or not...you are going to want to put this one on your list (coming out May 19, 2020). If you are a mom, you may recognize the different categories of moms (know-it-all; earthy/all natural; sarcastic but down-to-earth; social media obsessed, workout/beauty obsessed etc.). This book was at times humorous, and fill with lots of twists, turns, drama and secrets. It all started with a rich, mommy playgroup that hired a single, ...more
Cathi - LovesBooksMore
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Elite Mommy Playgroup of NYC ...
This was my life for 10 years when my girls were little- well minus the dripping diamonds, penthouses, social media sensations and tiny waistlines!

Six woman gather twice weekly with their babies for playground and friend therapy, so why not have live musical entertainment?

Despite their ridiculous wealth and gorgeous families, these woman have similar experiences, relationships and emotional roller coasters of lives of a new mom. They are willing to try anything
Stephanie Wrobel
Imagine if your hilarious best friend told you a really juicy story about a gaggle of rich new mothers while also delivering a sharp commentary about the expectations put on women. This is that book. Put it on your list, kids!

Kristin
Mar 31, 2020 rated it it was ok
I won this book on a Goodreads first reads giveaway.

I'm afraid this book just wasn't for me. I kept putting it aside so often, I heavily considered not finishing it a few times. Even going so far as to stepping away from it for a week before dragging myself back to it, telling myself it wasn't fair to not give it a chance.

My biggest problem was Amara, she's a total self-righteous narcissist.

One, the US is a Constitutional Republic, not a Democracy. It baffles me how many people don't know this
Jena Henry
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clap your hands for this book! And I hope to surely show you how much I enjoyed this novel.

I savored every page because each one is filled with heart and understanding. Yes, there are plenty of closeups of our current times, and snapshots of what its like to be mother of a baby when you were used to being an independent woman. In an Instagram world, are we still real?

We meet a playgroup of Mom and their babies, the lifestyles of the rich in New York City. We also get know Claire, a young
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Honey-Don't List
  • Wife After Wife
  • Separation Anxiety
  • Adults
Laura Hankin is the author of HAPPY & YOU KNOW IT and has written for McSweeneys and HuffPost, among other publications. The viral videos that she creates and stars in with her comedy duo, Feminarchy, have been featured in Now This, The New York Times, and Funny or Die. She grew up in Washington, D.C. and now lives in New York City, where she has performed off-Broadway, acted onscreen, and ...more