Start by marking “Rea and the Blood of the Nectar (The Chronicles of Astranthia, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rea and the Blood of the Nectar (The Chronicles of Astranthia, #1)

Rea and the Blood of the Nectar

(The Chronicles of Astranthia #1)

Rea Chettri is on a secret quest to find her missing twin brother Rohan and she only has a few days. The clock is ticking in this fast-paced, thrilling and exciting adventure rife with evil creatures, a ruthless villain, and unforgettable friendships.

It all begins on the night Rea turns twelve. After a big fight with her twin brother Rohan on their birthday, Rea's life
Expected publication: May 2021 by Mango and Marigold Press

To ask other readers questions about Rea and the Blood of the Nectar, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rea and the Blood of the Nectar

Start your review of Rea and the Blood of the Nectar (The Chronicles of Astranthia, #1)
Fanna
Sep 02, 2020 marked it as definitive-tbr
Shelves: 2021-releases
September 15, 2020: COVER REVEALED! OMG, how much I love seeing young South Asian characters on the cover,,, Also, got an eARC so see me get immersed in this secret quest that Rhea is going on. Thank you, Mango & Marigold Press for the early copy.

September 02, 2020: I see Indian protagonists and I run towards the book like it's the only thing I'm meant to read.
Payal Doshi
Apr 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
REA AND THE BLOOD OF THE NECTAR release date: MAY 2021

Pre-order the book here! https://bit.ly/3049gcv

I might be extremely biased, but REA AND THE BLOOD OF THE NECTAR is a great book! It also is a wonderful way for Indian kids to see themselves as the protagonists of a book as well as for kids from all parts of the world to get a glimpse into Indian culture while solving a fun, thrilling, and secret fantasy mystery of Rea's twin brother's disappearance.
Simant | Flipping Through the Pages
15th September, 2020: The cover has been revealed and it is so cute. Can't wait to read this Desi middle-grade fantasy!! ...more
Ava Shah
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had the opportunity to preview some of Payal’s work and let’s just say it’s nothing short of magical. You are instantly transported to this world of wonder, mystery & adventure. She has such an incredible ability to suck you in as a reader and captivate you through each twist & turn.

Can not wait for her debut book and for the series!
Sang2085
Apr 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky to have read the e- ARC and simply put, I couldn't put the book down!
This is a beautifully told story of a 12 year old girl who goes on an adventure to find her missing twin brother on the night of their 12th birthday. More importantly, this is also a story about family secrets, sibling rivalry, friendships and 12 year old Rea's attempt to right the wrong.
The Author’s prose is so magical, it made me feel like I was alongside Rea on her quest and could literally visualize all the be
sasha
Oct 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you NetGalley for giving me an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review!
Actual rating: 7/10

Plot: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Characters: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Writing: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆
Romance: -
Diversity/Rep: ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Does it get explicit?

Nope. Not at all,

How intriguing was the first chapter itself? Did it set the tone/pace for the entire book?
oh the first chapter was short and sweet and certainly enough to capture the eyes of any curious young reader. Rea and her relationship with her twin brother Rohan is rela
Agata
Nov 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is one I would have loved to read as a child. It was one of those books that I couldn’t put down. The slow was a bit start, but once the plot tarted unravelling, I was hooked.

The fantasy world created by Doshi is incredible and definitely on par with popular middle grade series. It is a world that will captivate readers and make them wish they were there!

The book was extremely well developed in terms of both characters and plot. The main character is an incredibly relatable one, whic
Rohan M
Oct 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book so much! It had me hooked from the first page and I was immersed in Rea's quest to find her missing twin brother. The author's prose is wonderful, descriptive and lyrical. The references to India and Indian culture were a treat to read and will be for all those who don't know much about the country. The fantastical world of Astranthia was also crafted beautifully. I was taken in with the budhoods, paris, and the sacred Som! The story is fast-paced and gripping mixed w ...more
Ashley
Nov 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was a seriously great book. Family, friends, adventure, growth, all set against a gorgeously described backdrop.

There was a lot of culture that I as a reader got to experience and it was all so beautifully described that I felt like I was there. The main character is relatable. I remember being that age and the issues you go through and feeling like there's more expected of you than others, feeling ignored, all the the things this main character goes through and her growth are so well done
taylor
Nov 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arcs
Rea and the Blood of the Nectar is such a fun and captivating story about family, friendship, power, and adventure. I loved reading all of the gorgeous prose, Doshi painted such lush and beautiful scenery and I really felt like I could see myself traveling with Rea to find Rohan.

I loved the character development that Rea goes through throughout the story, she starts off yelling at her twin brother but grows into a powerful and mature person by the end of the book. It was a really fun and quick
Hazzel (howtoescapereality)
Nov 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Thank you so much NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this amazing book and for giving me an e-ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review. This books is the kind of book I read when I was a child. One of the books I couldn’t put down, true first few chapters are a bit slow, but once the plot started unravelling I was hooked. The author’s writing is wonderful, descriptive and informative. I was impressed by the Indian references, I had so much fun reading this and the Indian cu ...more
Kate
Oct 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved Rea's journey! REA AND THE BLOOD OF THE NECTAR pulled me in from the first page, and kept me turning pages until the very end. The relationships within Rea's family were so beautifully, realistically drawn. Her quest was a mysterious thrill-ride. And the descriptions of Rea's worlds (both India and Astranthia) are wonderfully rich and detailed. I'll be looking for the next CHRONICLES OF ASTRANTHIA story!

Many thanks to Payal Doshi and Mango & Marigold Press for the eARC.
Debola
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Interestingly fantastical!

Rea and the Blood of the Nectar is a beautiful twist in the 'fairyland' type of children's novels. It's amazing cast of characters and it's themes make it so unique.

Rea is such a wonderful example for young girls out there, a reminder that they can do what they put their minds to. The twists and turns are so unpredictable yet so intriguing.

I enjoyed this book so much, I would love to find out how the story ends
Inosh aka Malicious_reads
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Giving a glimpse into the South Asian Childhoods of Diwali, Siblings and midnight cricket, Payal Doshi's book is a gem!

It has a beautiful and a riveting plot. A celebration of family, of magic and of sibling love, it is an accurate representation of South Asia and the very different childhood we have compared to the western world.
Joyous!
Jennifer Guyor Jowett
Nov 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Loved this exciting adventure about a girl discovering courage and friendship, as well as the importance of family. Payal Doshi has created a world within a world - readers will love discovering Astranthia!
Joanne
Oct 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A compelling MG fantasy adventure, with gorgeous, evocative language and highly-imaginative elements. Rea and her twin brother Rohan are about to turn 12 in Darjeeling, India. They live with their mother (Amma) and grandmother (Bajai) and life is sometimes difficult. Amma and Bajai seem to pay more attention to Rohan, and Rea is jealous. On the night of their 12th birthday, their mother and grandmother warn them to stay in the house, but Rohan slips out to meet his friends, and Rea follows him, ...more
Jennifer Adam
Nov 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A charming story about bravery, loyalty, and friendship. The worldbuilding is vibrant and richly detailed, and young readers will love watching Rea and her friend Leela solve the mystery of Rea's twin brother's capture.
Alysa
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
After Rea's twin brother goes missing on the night of their 12th birthday, it's up to Rea and her friend Leesi to go find him. But Rohan's not lost in thier hometown of Darjeeling, nor in the tea fields in which their mother works, but in a land beyon the Banyon tree, a fanstasical place called Astranthia.
As Rea goes searching for her lost brother, she discovers that she and her family are not who she thought they were.
What follows is a fast-paced, exciting adventure, full of magic, villians, a
Jessica Vitalis
Jul 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The gorgeous cover tells you everything you need to know: this is an #ownvoices story set in India (and a fictional country called Astranthia) filled with adventure, heart, and magic. I loved the realistic portrayal of the main character's relationship with her brother in a small village in India as much as I loved the whimsy and magic of Astranthia. Add the main character's exploration of friendship, family, and her own power, and you've got a middle grade story well worth reading!
Lyndall Clipstone

• Clues to the Universe
  • Pride and Premeditation
  • The Wolf's Curse
  • Can't Take That Away
  • Rise of the Red Hand (The Mechanists, #1)
  • Alone
  • Thanks a Lot, Universe
  • The Half-Orphan's Handbook
  • Fat Chance, Charlie Vega
  • Dangerous Play
Payal Doshi has a Masters in Creative Writing (Fiction) from The New School, New York. Having lived in the UK and US, she noticed a lack of Indian protagonists in global children’s fiction and one day wrote the opening paragraph to what would become her first children’s novel. She was born and raised in Mumbai, India, and currently resides in Minneapolis, Minnesota with her husband and two-year-ol ...more

News & Interviews