Start by marking “The Unfettered Child” as Want to Read:
The Unfettered Child

The Unfettered Child

Her tribe is shattered. Her parents are gone.

When eight-year-old Samara faces the capture of her tribe, an unimaginable power awakens within her. Even as this magic threatens to consume her, a disembodied voice intervenes, offering guidance and helping her control these newfound abilities.

Meanwhile, Samara’s father chases his wife’s captors across an unfamiliar terrain. Bu
Published August 28th 2019 by Independently Published

To ask other readers questions about The Unfettered Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unfettered Child

Start your review of The Unfettered Child
Siobhan
The Unfettered Child is a very character-driven fantasy, without the masses of world-building I usually love in my fantasy novels. Despite this, the lack of world-building more than works for this story. The limited knowledge we have reflects the limited knowledge the characters have, sucking us right into the story.

Within the story, there are all the necessities of a good fantasy novel. From the magic to the conflict, The Unfettered Child ticks of countless fantasy boxes. It’s a story that give
TinaMarie
Dec 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Kerri
Oct 02, 2019 rated it liked it
This book had an interesting story, and a decent plot line. I think it had a lot of potential, but I struggled to connect with the characters. I like that the lead character was a young child, but it really took some effort for me to finish it. I'm not sure if maybe the writing style just wasn't for me, but in the end, I felt that the book fell a little flat.
I won this book in a giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
Sheena ☆ Oh, the Sheenanigans!

Rating: ★★★★✬ (4.5/5 Stars)
Title: The Unfettered Child
Content Rating: R
POV: Third Person
Smexy Level: Subtle
Favorite Quote(s):
― “To still be alive when everyone else is dead. To be free, but to have nothing left.”
Overall Opinion:
Let’s start off by saying how astonished I was by how quick I was immersed with this novel and how easily I was absorbed in the f
Kaili (Entertainingly Nerdy)
I don't read fantasy that often but it seems the few I've been reading lately have been really good. The unfettered child was really good! It is about a young girl finding out that she has powers that she can't quite handle. Every time I read a fantasy book like this it always makes me miss playing world of warcraft since the have similar characters. The book is very well written and grabbed my attention the entire way through. I will be rereading this one!
Pages For Thoughts
I haven't read any concept like The Unfettered Child and highly enjoyed this unique magical story! I also liked the addition of Elves and their mischievous nature. I liked this unique approach to having a young child hold so much power. It was fascinating to watch her brain struggle to understand what she could do and the ramifications of her actions when she lost control of her magic.

I was amazed at how Samara was portrayed accurately to her age with emotional breakdowns. She also obtained a st
Alana Bloom
The opening was intriguing with talking skeletons, evil elves, and a rivalry for the ages. After introducing us to the history, readers are moved forward at a very quick pace. The Unfettered Child switches POV each time the plot needs to barrel forward which is nice if you are wondering what the villains are up to but it also makes it difficult to get to know the characters. I didn’t feel attached to any of the characters. Each of the characters was driven solely by emotion rather than employing ...more
K.J. Simmill
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Orin had risked everything, his position as chief, the respect of his peers, even the favour of the spirits when he returned with a healer to save the life of his wife and unborn child. The task had seemed impossible, and a stillbirth had devastated him. He begged, pleaded, for Samara to do something, and she did. Breath returned to his daughter, but life was not the only thing drawn into her. Named after her saviour, Orin's daughter, Samara, is apprenticed by the shaman, but when elves kidnap h ...more
Mary Bradley
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of a young girl who discovers she has mysterious and dangerous powers after her tribe is attacked and her world falls apart. She must journey alone with no one but her new powers when she gets separated from her tribe. Can she learn to control her mysterious powers and face the great darkness looming in front of her, or will she fall victim to the darkness inside her?

My thoughts:

This book is not my typical read, and I didn’t know what to expect going in, but The Unfet
N.E. Michael
Jan 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book has one simple problem: I can’t put it down.
When I’m in class, I know that if I open up my kindle, I’m gonna miss the whole lecture and instead answer my test questions with doodles of magical girls traveling fantastical lands alongside a traveling circus, or elves battling heatedly with awesome tribal barbarians. Recommend to anyone who could use a good fantasy adventure to lift them from their daily routine into a realm of magic and heroes.
Toni
The Unfettered Child, while it may seem like a totally generic fantasy, is actually quite unique, at least in my eyes – the writing is splendid and vividly evocative, and the magic system and its implications will remain with me for a long time to come. If anything, though, there were points at which it was difficult to follow the plot, and I couldn’t really connect with many of the characters.

Full RTC today or tomorrow.
cafeyre
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Energy
Jul 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Samara was born under auspicious circumstances, and 8 years later, her tribe finds itself under attack. They have something the elves want, only they're not aware of that. The elves take the women harvesting for two reasons, a bargaining chip and to work as slaves. The tribe is no match for the elves. Samara, frustrated and scared, unleashes something, a power beyond imagination, and a power beyond her control.

Upon realizing that he's lost a good portion of his tribe, and clueless to his daught
Haley Renee The Caffeinated Reader
3.5/5

This had a bit of essence of Dune to it as far as writing style went and I loved that. Sahd gives us an intriguing world, and he casually gives us world-building without going too deeply and this works for the purpose of this story which at its heart is about a few characters and the connections they have, with each other and with magic in some way.

Young Samara was a good protagonist, I wish I would have connected more to her, I did feel there was a lack of connection between myself as the
Kat
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Samara may only be 8, but powerful magic rests in her body. It is peaceful, until the women of her tribe are captured and elves invade and begin to slaughter her people. Thinking herself the only survivor, and with no memory of what she did, she sets out to try to find her mother. She is guided by a voice in her head that instructs her in magic and guides her way. Meanwhile, Samara’s father, Orin, survived the slaughter as he had already set out in search for his wife. With the only remaining so ...more
Paige  Worrall
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
*Before I begin this review, I would just like to quickly say that I forgive the author for nearly making me cry towards the end of the book. You nearly had me there!*

Moving on from that moment.....

The novel follows the journey of Samara, an eight-year-old girl who finds herself possessing ‘unimaginable power’ after an attack on her tribe. She becomes separated from her father Orin who is desperately trying to find his wife who, during the attack, was enslaved by elves. Adding a little bit of in
Susan
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Samara is 8 years old when she finds a gem on the ground. Her father puts the gem into the handle of a knife for Samara. Orin, her father was going to give it to her for her next birthday but gives it to her instead of witnessing. Samara is a child bursting with curiosity and love of adventure. She gets permission to go berry picking with the women of the tribe but is given someone to look after her. Suddenly nets fall on top of the women. The elves had done this as they wanted slaves. If Samara ...more
Insert Name Here
Aug 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
A young girl is caught in a war between Mages and Elves in this fantasy from first time novel writer Michael. When Elves attack her tribe, Samara discovers previously unknown magic powers. Under the uncertain tutelage of a dismebodied Elf, she sets out to chase down the survivors of her tribe.

I'll be honest: I might not have chosen this book for myself, going by the blurb or the first few pages. It doesn't sound like the kind of story I usually like, and it opens in the middle of a story we have
Carmen
Oct 13, 2019 rated it liked it
There were times where it seemed as if the story dragged a little bit; though I did appreciate the attention paid to descriptions - even though at times descriptions were a little overdone. With regards to Samara; I liked the piece where she was with the Havallans and with the Khaliji - one world that I would have liked to have been explored more was the land of the Havallans. I got a copy in exchange for an honest review.
Kat
Aug 11, 2020 rated it really liked it
Samara is a very special little girl, but she doesn’t know it. When elves capture many of the women from her tribe, a terrible power awakens, and a disembodied voice takes her as his apprentice to teach her how to harness her unexpected powers. With her tribe destroyed, she sets off to reunite with her mother, who was captured, and her father, who set off earlier on to find his wife, but the voice in her head isn’t completely honest.

I previously reviewed this book at the time of publication at t
Paige Green
Disclaimer: I received this e-book from the author. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: The Unfettered Child

Author: Michael C. Sahd

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 3/5

Recommended For...: Fantasy

Publication Date: August 28, 2019

Genre: Fantasy

Recommended Age: 16+ (magic, slavery, violence, gore)

Publisher: Indie Published

Pages: 414

Synopsis: When eight-year-old Samara faces the capture of her tribe, an unimaginable power awakens within her. Even as this magic threatens to consume her, a disembodied
KayBee's  Bookshelf
The story of an eight-year-old Samara coping with her tribe being captured and unearthed powers. I think the author did a good job of character development. I could feel the anger that the leader and Samara's father felt during the aftermath of the battle with their enemy. I also enjoyed watching Samara come into her own. The author introduces us to many characters, as well as a few languages. You will need to pay attention to the many moving pieces here. I also noticed that there wasn't a lot o ...more
Frank Scozzari
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
THE UNFETTERED CHILD is a fascinating read packed with magic, elves, and memorable characters.

After her mother is captured by elves, young Samara travel across a vivid, colorful, imaginary landscape, guided by an internal voice, which both enlightens and frightens. She is taught to release an inner power, and she must do so to save her tribe and rescue her mother. Samara is one you grow to adore and root for.

It's both a great YA novel and adult dark fantasy. It is said, "A children's story that
Courtney
I had no idea what I was expecting when I began reading this book but I did enjoy the book.

Overall, I thought the book began well. The beginning was face paced, intense and it gets the reader hooked quickly. I thought the middle bit of the book was not as face paced and for me, at times, felt repetitive with Samara destroying.

Throughout the book the fathers story and Samara's stories are told. There was a lot of build up and I found myself routing for Samara and her father. I was a little bit
Amy Shannon
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grand Fantasy

Sahd pens a grand story in The Unfettered Child. The genre is fantasy, but the feeling of the story feels almost real. Samara is a great character with a lot of depth, and she's just a child. She has these powers that she is trying to figure out how to use and how to not let them lose control. I enjoyed this story, and entering Samara's world. This is the first book of Sahd's that I've read, but I really enjoyed the story. It's not just about powers but about survival and even inner
Caffeinated Fae
Trigger Warning: Sexual Assault & Extreme Violence

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Unfortunately, I made it to the 53% mark and I'm going to have to DNF. This book is extremely violent and when paired with sexual assault it became too much for me to read.
Salla (Books Told Me So)
Full review:

Don't let the synopsis fool you. Even though the main character is an eight-year-old, this book is not for the faint of heart.
Margaret Adelle
I was given an advanced copy by the author in exchange for an honest review.

The idea of this story intrigued me, about a little girl that is forced on her own after the destruction of her people. However, I will say the synopsis is a bit misleading, as things aren't quite as simple as "tribe destroyed, girl's powers are awakened to help her tribe." It's more like "girl uncovers horrendous powers she can't control and causes devastation."

The plot was intriguing, although there were times it fel
Crystal
Oct 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
Too confusing and boring

This was a decent story that got lost in trying to be fancy. There were about four made up languages with word and definitions to remember. Additionally, there were many unnecessary names and groups that just made this nearly unbearable. It needs to be simplified and more straight forward.
Victoria Tapia
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book, was disappointed when it was over. The characters were written well. The storyline was easy to follow. I really enjoyed the outlook of each character and what they brought to the story. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fiction fantasy!
Book Giveaways: 100 Copies Of The Unfettered Child Up For Grabs! 1 18 Jul 30, 2019 12:52PM

• Against Blood (Blood, #2)
  • Baby Bootcamp: Sleep Training for a Happy Healthy Baby
  • Bicycling With A Purpose: Shift Gears To Lower Stress
  • Aurora and God
  • The Friendship List
  • The Bone Shard Daughter (The Drowning Empire, #1)
  • The Wives
  • Awkward
  • Dead Man in a Ditch (The Fetch Phillips Archives, #2)
  • The Grace Year
  • The Ten Thousand Doors of January
  • The Doors of Eden
  • Umbral Ten (Khaldaia Chronicles #1)
  • A Dance with Fate (Warrior Bards, #2)
  • The Secret French Recipes of Sophie Valroux
  • Never Say No
  • The Angel of Bishopsgate (Darker Cities, #1)
  • Girls of Storm and Shadow (Girls of Paper and Fire, #2)
Michael C. Sahd grew up in Santa Fe, New Mexico. From a young age, he read voraciously, particularly in the fields of fantasy and science fiction. Shortly after becoming a teenager, he learned to play and enjoy fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons. At around the same time, he began writing stories and D&D campaigns of his own.

As an adult, Michael attended the College of Santa Fe, studying in