Start by marking “Cemetery Boys” as Want to Read:
Cemetery Boys

Cemetery Boys

Yadriel has summoned a ghost, and now he can’t get rid of him.

When his traditional Latinx family has problems accepting his gender, Yadriel becomes determined to prove himself a real brujo. With the help of his cousin and best friend Maritza, he performs the ritual himself, and then sets out to find the ghost of his murdered cousin and set it free.

However, the ghost he sum
Published September 1st 2020 by Swoon Reads

Start your review of Cemetery Boys
chai ♡
Update: I love this so book so much I want to scream! I made a twitter thread on my reading progress that you can find HERE. Full review to come!

I can't prove this with science or statistics, but every time I see a queer couple on the cover of a YA novel, ten years are immediately added to my lifespan. God bless
Miranda Reads
description

Happy Pride Month y'all! Click the booktube link to check out my favorite PRIDE books
The Written Review
description
Oh my gosh. Can I rate this more than 5 stars???

I cannot even BEGIN to talk about how BRILLIANT this one was.

I was hooked from the start - the way Aiden set up the characters and the Brujx world was so intriguing and exciting.

The plot felt so unique and fresh - I literally read this in a single night and was devastated there wasn't more.

I absolutely loved, loved, loved Yadriel and his st
ari
"Latinx trans teen boy, hoping to release his cousin's spirit and prove himself as a brujo, accidentally summons the wrong ghost and ends up falling in love with him"...............this honestly sounds like everything i've ever needed in my life, 2020 already serving us
Sahil Javed
May 28, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: lgbtq
a gay book about a trans boy who may or may not be in love with a ghost? i didn't know i needed this until right now.
Adri
Mar 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
CWs: Misgendering, allusions to deadnaming, depictions of gender dysphoria, exploration of parental death, non-violent references to blood magic, some descriptions of self-harm (for ritualistic purposes)

☑ Watch my spoiler-free #ownvoices reading vlog for Cemetery Boys!
☑ Check out this interview I did with Aiden Thomas!
☑ Read my second CB review for even more detailed feelings!

I am THRIVING. I am LIVING. I am convinced this book was written for me and me alone and I will be accepting no other
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tucker by: Miranda Reads

Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for the free audio file in exchange for an honest review
"Don't mourn me.
If you cry for me, I grieve your pain.
Instead, if you sing to me, I'll always live and my spirit will never die."

I probably wouldn't have picked this up if my friend Miranda hadn't recommended it to me but I am very glad she did. It was spooky, funny, and so, so adorable. It also had a pretty hefty plot twist in the end.

So, what's this book about?
When his traditional Latinx fami
Xandra (StarrySkyBooks)
DID I FINISH THIS BOOK OR DID IT FINISH ME?

- - -
(spoiler free review. tw list at the bottom. this is a Latinx ownvoices review)

I really experienced so many different emotions while reading this book, and most of them were just some form of happiness. Happiness for Yadriel, whenever something good happened to him, and happiness for myself, because I was blessed with this ARC. (Thank you to MacMillan, Swoon Reads, and Netgalley for providing me with an eARC!)

It’s difficult to put my feelings for t
Leo
May 23, 2019 is currently reading it
I think 2020 should be renamed 20TRANSty just because of this book and all the #ownvoices transgender umbrella releases coming up.
Tabi⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Queer folks are like wolves," Julian told him. "We travel in packs."

Two ownvoices reviews: Caidyn & Adri

Step aside, all those of a close mind—this one isn't for you. This is a book for those looking to see themselves so vividly, so wonderfully in a story. This is for the trans readers who have been pushed aside, misunderstood, unseen, and who've been told they're not enough.

Disclaimer: I'm a white, cisgender gal who regrettable hasn't taken the time to dive into Latinix culture despite being ra
Arunima
I am so ready to fall in love with this. This has been one of my highly anticipated books of the year so I swear to god, if I don't love this, I think I'll sit in a corner and cry.

*******

description

Well, while I don't think I can say I "love" loved the book, it is safe to say that there wasn't any crying involved because I quite enjoyed this book. The biggest reason why I think I wasn't able to completely fall in love with it the way I had hoped to was because it was impossibly predictable
Jessica
Aug 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lgbtq
As soon as I saw this book a few months ago on twitter, I knew that I had to read it. That cover? Witches? A trans main character? Sign me up.

From the beginning, my heart went out to Yadriel. With the magic system in this book, it is very gender driven and the brujo and bruja have different powers and roles. Yadriel has not been allowed to take on the role of a brujo because not everyone has accepted his identity as a boy. To prove his powers, Yadriel accidentally summons the spirit of a cute b
Tani
Jul 02, 2020 marked it as to-read
Y'all are kidding me, right? How many books am I supposed to buy for my birthday?
Lance
"But he knew this wasn't sustainable. No one was meant to last as a spirit floating between two worlds, especially not Julian. He was a boy made of fire turned to frost. He was meant to burn."

“Queer folks are like wolves," Julian told him. "We travel in packs."

“Julian was the most alive person he’d ever met. Even as a spirit, he was bright and full of constantly moving energy. A sun crammed into the body of a boy. Yadriel didn’t want to see him without his light.”

4 stars. Cemetery Boys is a
Ashley
Star Rating: —> 5 Stars

“Yadriel was drawn to him like a moth to a flame. To his foolhardy charm and striking features. Julian was achingly beautiful, but in the way a thunderstorm was beautiful—wild, rough, electric.”

THIS WAS ABSOLUTELY INCREDIBLE! I am so freaking excited over this DEBUT ! AMAZING. I cannot get over how insanely wonderful this was... and a huge part of that was becoming immersed in the lush latinx fantasy world that makes up the atmosphere of the novel, with a TRANS BRUJO as
paigeofabook
Apr 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I need, I need, I need, I need. After 22 years I’m finally out and queer and dating my hispanic girlfriend (im very lucky) and I think we would both sell our souls for an arc of this?
Claude's Bookzone
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Well that was such an amazing book!

The premise was really engaging, the cast was diverse, the dialogue was excellent and the romance was adorable! I loved Yadriel's journey to have his true identity accepted within his family and the Latin American community. Wowsers the fantasy element based on traditional Mexican/Latin American mythology was utterly enthralling! I have been on 'the Google' all afternoon reading about Dia de Muertes and bruja/brujo/brujx. So fascinating. Brilliant book and I t
solanne
Sep 10, 2020 marked it as to-read
I know I’m late to this but have y’all heard of this book featuring ghosts, a trans mc and latinx inspired legends???
Emma
Sep 10, 2020 rated it really liked it
And if you think for one second that anyone in your life is better off without you, then you're dumber than you look

You guys, this new release did not disappoint! It was very good and I'm so glad to have found this new author!

Yadriel wants to be a brujo like all the other men in his family, but his traditional Latinx family isn't so willing to accept him as such just because he's a trans boy. That's why he decides to take matters into his own hands and perform the ritual with the help of his
Lily ☁️
“A Latinx trans teen boy, hoping to prove himself as a brujo, accidentally summons the wrong ghost and ends up falling in love with him” — I think this sounds every bit the fantastic, New York Times bestselling novel, that it is.

I also hear that this has Taylor Swift references, and I am here for all of them.

// buddy read with Hannah <3

Blog | TwitterInstagram | Tumblr | Bloglovin’
Anniek
When a book has you crying at 5% in, you know it's going to hit hard.

Cemetery Boys was one of my most anticipated releases of 2020. I've been desperate to read it for months. So even though I'd preordered a book box with the book, I couldn't wait for it to arrive and purchased the ebook so I could start it on release day. And I have zero regrets, because as high as my expectations were, this book lived up to them perfectly.

I firmly believe this will be a new comfort read for me, one I'll reread
Lena
Sep 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, romance, 2020
This book has officially saved my 2020
jocelyn
Sep 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 / 5
this made me cry but it also made me so so happy omg 😭
i loved yadriel, julian, and maritza so much. i can relate to yadriel in some ways. he’s more anxious than the others and he can be awkward af, but he’s also so driven. i wanted to FIGHT everyone misgendering him, and i was so proud of everything he did. i can’t believe i can’t give him a hug. julian is so funny and hyper, but he’s also protective and can get angry easily. i loved him IMMEDIATELY. he’s also a ghost, which makes yadriel’
charlotte, (½ of readsrainbow)
(4.5)

Rep: Cuban American gay trans mc, Colombian American gay li with ADHD(?), Cuban American side characters, lesbian side character, trans side character

CWs: deadnaming, misgendering, transphobia, mentions of past gang violence
alana ♡
Sep 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This was everything & now it's time to go cry.

RTC.

Blog | Twitter
farith
May 30, 2020 marked it as not-released-yet
the release date got pushed to SEPTEMBER ???

Sheila Loosevelt
Julian stopped in his tracks, black eyes going wide. “Fuck.”
Maritza started and Yadriel ducked, thinking he’d spotted someone. His heart hammered in his chest. “What—What’s—?”
“What happened to my skateboard?” Julian threw his head back and groaned, scrubbing his hands over his face. “I just got new axles on that thing!”

I was provided an advanced copy of this novel by Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts expressed in this review are my own.

I know the quote I chose is long, bu
E.
★★★★☆ |Remember to get yourself a ghost boyfriend this autumn!!

💀 m/m
💀 trans boy rep
💀 Latinx rep
💀 brujos (witches)

All Saints day is also important to me and honestly my favourite celebration. Of course, in Poland we don’t go as wild with it as the brujx in the book or latinx in real life, however, I can certainly relate to liking the way the cemetery looks at night with thousands of little lights making the first days of November a little warmer.

So I was certainly very excited to receive this
ana
Mar 11, 2020 marked it as to-read
when you click on the "7 Books about Teen Witches Swooping onto Shelves" link and make the mistake of scrolling down too far so you see the comments:

some ppl really live like that, huh. fucking... tragic.
Sol ~ TheBookishKing
He nodded. “Queer folks are like wolves,” Julian told him. “We travel in packs.”

description

Hello all! I know it's been quite a while since I've uploaded any reviews, but I've really been wanting to get back in for a bit. And Cemetery Boys really made me want to get my act together and start reviewing aha. It's been a bit since I've fallen in love with a book so fast and this one truly gave me All the Emotions.

Cemetery Boys revolves around main character, Yadriel, a young Trans boy who's growing up in L
✨Brithanie Faith✨
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5/5 stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Forget every book recommendation that I've ever given you- If you're thinking of picking this one up, DO IT! (I'm serious- JUST DO IT!) I'm still in denial, because I've finished it! What a beautiful story! I don't think words can truly express how this book made me feel! Holy f*@k! Yadriel and Julian are top tier! (You won't convince me otherwise!)

If this review is a mess, it's likely because I'M a mess- and this bo
Goodreads Librari...: Conflicting release date 5 36 Nov 09, 2019 07:15PM
Goodreads Librari...: wrong amazon link 3 24 Jun 17, 2019 08:15PM

• Felix Ever After
  • The Extraordinaries (The Extraordinaries, #1)
  • Boyfriend Material
  • You Should See Me in a Crown
  • Darius the Great Deserves Better (Darius the Great, #2)
  • The Summer of Everything
  • Red, White & Royal Blue
  • I'm Not Dying with You Tonight
  • The Fascinators
  • The Friend Scheme
  • Mexican Gothic
  • A Rogue of One's Own (A League of Extraordinary Women, #2)
  • Beyond the Black Door
  • The Fell of Dark
  • Bonds of Brass (The Bloodright Trilogy #1)
  • Cinderella Is Dead
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
Aiden Thomas is a New York Times Bestselling author with an MFA in Creative Writing. Originally from Oakland, California, they now make their home in Portland, OR. As a queer, trans, latinx, Aiden advocates strongly for diverse representation in all media. Aiden’s special talents include: quoting The Office, useless trivia, Jenga, finishing sentences with “is my FAVORITE”, and killing spiders. Aid ...more

Articles featuring this book

“There's no way y'all have been around for thousands of years without there being one person not fitting into the 'men are this, women are that' bullshit." Julian sounded so convinced, so sure. His obsidian eyes locked onto Yadriel's. "Maybe they hid it, or ran away, or I dunno, something else, but there's no way you're the first, Yads.” 4 likes
“Did Julian just have zero impulse control? It was almost endearing. But only almost.” 3 likes