Start by marking “Where the Lies Hide” as Want to Read:
Where the Lies Hide

Where the Lies Hide

When Sarah Peters hires a private investigator to find the twin brother she’s just discovered exists, she’s unprepared for the cocky, self-assured Camdyn Stark. Finding missing persons is Cam’s specialty and she knows she can get the job done, even if she’s not too keen to delve into the system she blames for her abusive childhood. There’s no denying her attraction to the ...more
Published August 1st 2019 by Bold Strokes Books

To ask other readers questions about Where the Lies Hide, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Where the Lies Hide

Start your review of Where the Lies Hide
Lex Kent
2.75 Stars. I have to say this was a real disappointment. I was looking forward to this book. The blurb sounded good and I like books with private investigators as a main character, unfortunately this was rough to read. Roman is a newer author, while she has not blown me away yet, I thought she was getting better with each new book. I hate to say this but I felt like this was a step backwards.

I found this book really hard to read. It took me three days when I normally read a book a day. Parts o
Corporate Slave
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s nice to get to read new authors :) very refreshing actually !
So this is a thriller/crime/romance all put together in the blender! The outcome was actually quite good :)

Character crush alert: Cam! She is an incredible person! Loved the way the author created this character. On the other hand, Sarah the other MC was annoying as hell! All I was thinking throughout the book was: Cam, seriously ? Sarah? Come on woman you can do so much better! But hey, c’est la vie you can’t choose who you fall
Bethany
Once again, I have mixed feelings about this one. It feels like this crop of BSB books has that in common for me...

As others have mentioned, I liked the premise of this novel, but the execution left me a bit frustrated. There's a lot of long and repetitive exposition in the MC's heads, but not enough actual dialogue between characters to leave me believing in the heat and chemistry once they got together. Their back and forth was also just downright exhausting! MC Sarah was described as feisty,
Carrie
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
The lies were so well hidden, I didn't even recognize them.

Cam is a Private Investigator with a troubled childhood. Sarah is a Welder and Artist who finds out she has a twin brother upon her mother's recent death. Sarah hires Cam to find the brother so that she can not be alone in life.

This was a tough book for me to get through. I liked the premise but it mostly left me feeling frustrated. The back and forth between the two main characters was exhausting. The Sarah character was described as co
Jude in the Stars
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
So that was disappointing… It started well enough, a woman finding out at 28 that she has a twin brother somewhere and hiring a sexy PI to find him. I enjoyed the oil and water feel of the two MCs meeting at first, then the way their relationship evolved from professional to more. I was curious about Cam’s past and her migraines, I wanted Sarah’s art to succeed.

Yet after a while I lost interest. The story was taking too long in not exciting ways. I still wanted to know how it would all end so ca
Rosi
Jul 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This has been a story that I liked and that has entertained me a lot, combining the romance between the two protagonists and the harsh revelations of their pasts. Both MC are foster child, Cam has become a Private Investigator with enough success and Sarah contacts with her agency in need to find a relative from which she didn't had any knowledge she had.

I've really liked both MC. Cam is a troubled person that has overcome so much and she still has integrity and ethics. She's damaged but not co
Joc
My response to this novel is a little mixed and I started off enjoying it but I was irritated by the end. Sarah Peters approaches Stark Revelations, a private investigations firm, when she discovers she had a twin brother that she was separated from at birth. Camdyn Stark is immediately draw to Sarah and it scares her. She takes on the case and decides to handle it personally in stead of handing it off to one of her investigators.

I loved that Sarah Peters was a metal worker and welder and I wish
Betty
I like the story concept for Where the Lies Hide by Renee Roman.

The story is about Sarah Peters, who has just lost her adoptive mother to cancer and discovers she has a twin brother who was separated from her at birth. She hires private investigator Camdyn (Cam) Stark to find her brother so she can try and connect with him since Sarah believes he is the only family she has left. Cam is a little reluctant to take the job because the idea of searching through the Social Services System might brin
MJS
ARC received via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This is my second book by Roman, while I thought Epicurean Delights was average, I didn’t like this one at all.

This features MC Cam, who is a PI and MC Sarah, who finds out she’s actually a twin after her adoptive mother dies and she hires Cam to find her twin brother. This was an interesting premise, but the story didn’t live up to it.

Cam is the much more engaging of the two characters, her back story is interesting, and she’s just
Karen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019-published, arc
As I sit here contemplating the title of this romance, I struggle to see where exactly the lies hid. Where the Lies Hide started off really good for me. I had glanced over a few reviews to see what I was getting into (mainly to see if it was going to send my anxiety levels through the roof) and saw a couple of people hating on Sarah. I couldn't understand it until I got about half way in. Talk about unlikable. Okay so let me start at the beginning. I thought Sarah was a cool character and Cam se ...more
Kennedy
Jul 24, 2019 rated it liked it
This is a read about family and understanding that family can look different to different people but it is still family. Sarah Peters, recovering from the death of her parents (emotionally and financially), employed as a contract iron worker. Sarah is also an aspiring artist, looking for family. Camdyn Stark, coming to terms with her childhood, Private Eye, confident, determined, and looking for a sense of family. The interaction between the two is a push and pull that gets a little tedious. In ...more
Colleen Corgel
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: arc, f-f-romance
This was a frustrating read for me. I thought that having a broody, damaged private investigator as a lead would be amazing. She was, but there are so many things I didn't like that even with such a great character in Cam, it didn't do much for me beside ask when it would be done.

I have two major issues with this book. one is the massive plot threads that were built up to be this major aspect of the story, but ended up as only minor plot devices. They both revolve around Cam and her past. One i
Alu
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: lgbt
I liked this one considerably more than I had expected to. I was afraid the main characters would have too much of the same dramas to deal with early on as I learned about their histories, but it wasn't at all the case. I enjoyed the characters a great deal. They were unique and interesting. The side characters felt pretty minor, but I think it worked in this case. Too much focus on them would have bogged down the story.

While I liked it more than I expected, there are some things I did not care
Bonnie
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Private investigator Camdyn Stark’s life was full hard knocks. Her mother had been young and doing drugs when she decided that placing baby Camdyn with Social Service was the best thing to do, especially for herself. But Cam spend her young life moving from foster parent to foster parent. A few were good but most in Cam’s experience were in it not only for the money but the pure delight they seemed to get abusing the kids they were supposed to care for, sexually and emotionally. She wasn’t doin ...more
Bib
Feb 07, 2020 rated it liked it
It’s an above average book, with 3.5 stars. Author writes well, but I thought the pace could have been tighter
JWG1973UK
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sarah is a Welder/Artist. She hires a Private Investigator to find her brother whom she doesn't find out about until after a family tragedy. Cam is a Private Investigator. She has has a tough time growing up with both physical and sexual abuse issues. When she starts a job she doesn't stop until it is completed.

I loved this book, I had read it in under a day. I was hooked from start to finish. The story line I enjoyed. The pace was about right. Cam is a total sweetheart, I loved her from the ver
Best Lesfic Reviews
Sep 27, 2019 rated it liked it
At twenty-eight, after both her adoptive parents are no more, Sarah Peters discovers that she was born a twin and that her twin brother may be somewhere out there. She is desperate for some family again and hires a private investigator, Camdyn Stark.

Read the full review @ https://www.bestlesficreviews.com/201...
C. S.
This showed a lot of promise, but I ultimately couldn't make it through. There was a lot of head hopping going on that wasn't clearly telegraphed and there just isn't enough going on plot wise to keep me engaged.

I liked the PI main character and thought she was really interesting, and the themes of contrasting privilege and disadvantage and loving family and past trauma promised a good set up.

Unfortunately it didn't quite follow through.
Gayle
Jul 12, 2019 rated it really liked it

Sarah Peters, adopted shortly after birth, finds out she has a twin brother she never knew about, so she hires Camdyn "Cam" Stark, a private investigator, to find him after Sarah's adoptive parents have both died.

Cam has her doubts about whether she can find Sarah's brother. Sarah has very little information to offer, and Cam also has her own burden to carry which keeps her from approaching this case with the enthusiasm it deserves.

This is a well crafted story with characters whose lives have b
Angela
Mar 20, 2020 added it
DNF 48%

I liked the pacing of the story, and the plot was relatively interesting. The writing was not the best, but I could work with it. I read until about halfway when I decided that I couldn't keep reading. One of the main characters, Sarah, seems to have anger issues, and the book treats it as if she's just a spunky individual. I'm not a fan of Sarah's random, overreactive outbursts, so I will not be continuing.
Laure
Aug 07, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
🏳️‍🌈👩‍❤️‍👩📚⚢👩‍❤️‍💋‍👩📖👭🏳️‍🌈

That’s in exchange of an honest review that I received, via NetGalley, an ARC of Renee Roman’s « Where the Lies Hide » from BSB (Thank you for that) …
So, here it is !!

It’s the 1st time I’m able to read one of Renee Roman’s books (that’s true that she’s still a new author, so I’m not that late, lol ..) .. Even if this book has some confusing points, it remains a good discovery …

My rating : 3⭐️

The story focuses on Camdyn Stark, a 36 years old P.I with seemingly no past a
Amanda (Books, Life and Everything Nice)
Thank you to NetGalley, Bold Strokes Books and Renee Roman for an ARC ebook copy to review. As always, an honest review from me.

Like:
- the main characters: smart, intriguing, want to be friends with them (and yes, I know it's a romance novel but to me the mark of a great romance novel and really any book is well written characters)
- Some sexy times but it doesn't overshadow the rest of the storylines

Love:
- chronic pain (migraines) is shown realistically - as part of life, annoying, frustratin
Cecilia
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley and Bold Strokes Books for providing this ARC in return for an honest review.

Where the Lies Hide is the story of Sarah, who hires private investigator Cam, to find the twin brother she never knew existed until her adoptive parents died. Sarah was adopted into a loving home while Cam had a lonely and abusive past.

Sarah was completely unlikable to me, so I couldn't understand why Cam was so attracted to her. She seemed immature and stubborn, but the thing confused me the most w
Leslie
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Thanks to NetGalley and Bold Strokes Books for the early copy of this one. I enjoyed reading it, and as always, and am enjoying reviewing and sharing it.

Sarah Peters has devoted the last several years to taking care of her ailing parents. When her mother dies, she discovers she had a twin. Determined to find him, she hires Private Investigator Camdyn Stark. Cam is cocky, professional, and amazing at her job, but when she finds herself attracted to Sarah and concerned for her well-being, what she
Sandra
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really love stories about losing and finding someone dear. They're so full of emotions. And I love books about crime. So this was the right book for me, I looked so forward to read it.

This was in intense book with a lot of hard topics. Cam is my favourtite character. She went through a lot of stuff but remained down to earth. The lovestory was okay, the crime aspect was better.

There are some flaws in the story and storylines that seemed to disappear over night but all in all I enjoyed this b
Barbara Fryer
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Protective Lies

This is an excellent story of two women whose lives are impacted by lies. Lies they have told for their own protection or lies told to them for their own protection. A lie brought them together and lies or omissions almost destroyed the life they were building together. It was an excellent story, one which I had a difficult time putting down. I was left wanting more when the story was complete.
Gail
Oct 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A thriller with a streak of romance. Main characters Camdyn/Cam (private investigator) and Sarah (artist) are written by the author as gritty but flawed individuals. There are some hiccups in the story but overall I was hooked enough to read to a slightly abrupt end. 3 stars.
I was provided with a copy by NetGalley/Bold Strokes Books for an un-biased review.
isa Simonet
Aug 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very good reading. If you like Crime / Thriller books with a little romance mixed in, this is a book for you. Enjoy!
Devlyn Harley