Start by marking “Growing Up in Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Building the Kingdom” as Want to Read:
Growing Up in Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Building the Kingdom

Growing Up in Zion: True Stories of Young Pioneers Building the Kingdom

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  68 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
Includes longer reminiscences which describe experiences of Mormon youth growing up in Utah between 1847 and 1900, shorter excerpts which complement these writings, and letters written by children.
Published September 1st 1996 by Deseret Book Co

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up in Zion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up in Zion

Barbara Lovejoy
Jul 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
While reading a book I really like, I try to think of at least one other person who might like it, too. Then I loan the book to that person. I shared the last book I read with my friend, Cindie Walker. When she returned the book to me, she shared THIS book with me. I had never heard of it. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought of my own ancestors who grew up in Utah many times as I read it and wondered if they had had similar experiences as children.
Laura C.
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
This lovely little volume is a happy companion to “Journey to Zion”. Half the population of Utah in the 1800’s was under the age of 18, and here are some of their stories, in their own words. It is full of the most charming pictures, historical observations, snippets and letters to the Juvenile Instructor magazine as well.
Michelle
Oct 16, 2010 rated it liked it
Reading stories of the people who started the state I grew up in was absolutely enthralling! And you've gotta love the story of the girl who kissed a whole bunch of different boys. Those pioneers! Ha.
Lindsay
Jun 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I like the format a little better than "I Walked to Zion". I liked getting story tidbits in the margins. How can I ever complain about my work load when I have electricity, indoor plumbing and amazing appliances! Life is so comfortable for me.
Robyn
Aug 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love reading about what life was like for the early Mormon settler's in Utah. This book is a very interesting read taken from personal accounts of children growing up in the unsettled area's around Salt Lake. I recommend it if you are interested in early LDS church history.
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Any fan of LDS history
A great companion book to "I walked to Zion". Amazing stories of courage, endurance, and faith. A must read for LDS history fans.
Deborah
May 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Love the true stories of the young pioneers who were living in Utah, telling in their own words what it was like to tame this land and make it home.
Utdancer
Dec 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
I liked this book it gives ture accounts of children who crossed the plains and saw teh Salt Lake valley grow.
Carolyn
Jul 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This has been another great read-aloud with my kids, gives us such a sense of our great heritage and blessings.
Madonna