Start by marking “Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother” as Want to Read:
Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother

Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother

4.53  ·  Rating details ·  34 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
An estimated two to three million people in the United States today were raised by a schizophrenic parent. Brown and Roberts offer a unique book based on interviews with over forty adult children of mothers diagnosed as schizophrenic. Such topics as the isolation their family felt, their chaotic home environments, their present relationships with their mothers, and the los ...more
Published August 1st 2000 by McFarland & Company

To ask other readers questions about Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Growing Up with a Schizophrenic Mother

Angie
Sep 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who has known a schizophrenic woman or child who grew up with schizophrenic parents.
There are not words to express how much I loved this book. My copy is stained with tears that dripped off my chin as I read and related to the anecdotes.

Wouldn't it have been easier had we been told as children what was going on? Easier, but impossible since nobody knew much about schizophrenia back in the day. Since we cannot go back and change what has been, we can at least read this amazing book filled with research, stories, and advice.

If you've ever known anybody with schizophrenia I urge
Felicia
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book to anyone who grew up with a mother having schizophrenia. The book offers some helpful advice and stories that remind you you're not alone. I especially appreciate the empathy and compassion the author has for the mothers that fell victim to this terrible disease.
Sharon
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having lived this life, this book is the best I have ever read that covers the struggles in depth of children living with schizophrenic moms. Survivors jumped out of their comfort zone to bring a public awareness of what a child experiences emotionally and physically in all aspects of their childhood. Hats off to the Margaret Brown for taking the time to understand this illness and crediting the survivors. The survivors walked a long road full of potholes and survived with scars but they will ca ...more
Julene
Jan 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
I've read this book twice, the first time I bought it, at great expense, and then let it go. Next, I got it on inter-library loan after it was referred. Not a very compelling read, but has some good information.

Stephanie
Dec 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great for anyone who has loved someone suffering from Schizophrenia, particularly in your immediate family. Highly recommend!

Stephanie
Suzan Brightwell
May 19, 2018
Sasha
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of a kind book on the subject.
BonB