Start by marking “The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)

The Grim Assistant

(Tales from the Grim #1)

Postal carrier and amateur surfer, Samantha Diaz, lives an uncomplicated life. Well, other than helping her sister with childcare, crushing on her unavailable customer, Lauren Brennan, and catching as many waves as possible before hurricane season begins. Suffice to say, she isn’t looking for much more, but when Lauren invites her to a monthly game night at her house, Sam ...more
Published August 5th 2019 by NineStar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Grim Assistant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Grim Assistant

Start your review of The Grim Assistant (Tales from the Grim, #1)
Lex Kent
I really enjoyed this. To be honest there was nothing in the book that blew me away, but it was just fun to read. I have been in a slump of reading disappointing books lately so this was exactly the entertainment I was looking for. I believe this is Hutchins first full length book. They have a few novellas and shorts but I had to give them some extra points for writing a fun debut.

Sam is a postal worker and avid surfer. After a freak accident that leaves Sam technically dead, Sam meets Margo wh
Alexis
What do Dead Like Me, The Ghost Whisperer and Death Note have in common? A lot of dead people that's what but chances are if you liked any of those shows or their concepts you will like this book as well.

Imagine going about your day as you normally do only to soon realize that you're about to die. If you were offered the chance to be with your loved ones again, would you take it? Even it means becoming the assistent of a grim reaper?

Formerly deceased Sam finds herself helping souls with their u
Carrie
Aug 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crossing over.

Sam is a surfing mail carrier who has a crush on a customer on her route, Lauren. Lauren is a school teacher who is having some issues with her live-in girlfriend, Bethany. When Sam encounters rough waters while surfing alone one morning, her future is suddenly cast in doubt.

Sure, you can say that this is reminiscent of shows like 'Dead Like Me' and 'The Ghost Whisperer.' But ultimately, I think this story stands on its own. With a unique paranormal world and very interesting char
Corporate Slave
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting Read!!! although this is not my genre, i found myself unable to leave the book and wanting to finish it! for me rating it will be tricky because as i said it is not my usual genre, but if a book forces me to stay a couple of hours later at night to read it, then i think it should get an extra point for that :)
So Sam the main MC was very likable, and even Lauren the other MC didnt bother me that much :) while the sex happened too fast, i still felt it was very HOT so that's another po
Joc
Oh, this was a huge amount of fun and a nice surprise because, as usual, I didn’t bother to read the blurb. Sam delivers mail and surfs. She also helps her sister, who is going through a rough divorce, by babysitting her nephew when needed. Her crush on Lauren will have to remain just that because Lauren is involved with Sam’s tormentor from school days. One morning a sudden storm puts her life in danger and she wakes to find she’s made a deal with a Reaper, Margo.

What I enjoyed most about this
JulesGP
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Confession, I am a fan of that cheesy Jennifer Love Hewitt show the Ghost Whisperer so I am familiar with the premise of an individual who is gifted with being able to see restless spirits and helping them find closure in order to “move on.” After watching 107 episodes over and over in reruns, I’ve probably seen most twists on this particular storyline.

But one thing I’ve learned that holds true is that if the author is having a good time spinning the tale, then the reader is going to have a bla
Farah
Jan 15, 2020 marked it as dnf
I just don't know anymore. Look at the names who read this, they're BIG GUNS in Lesfic, but for the love of Grim, I can't continue because of L. ...more
E.
★★★★☆ | Sometimes you gotta die to get the girl of your dreams

"What was she going to do–fight a ghost?"

This was a fun paranormal romance with quite original worldbuilding as I don’t read that often about grim reapers. I had some issues but it was mostly well-developed for its length.

The main character, Samantha, has been in love with her customer Laura but unable to make her move since the later is in a relationship. With Sam’s former high school bully, to make things worse.

Here, cue — Sam’

K. Aten
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.0 - Interesting new paranormal world with a cute romantic ending

I've been on a bit of a paranormal and sci-fi kick lately and perhaps that's why I enjoyed The Grim Assistant as much as I did. While I wasn't blown away, I found the main and secondary characters likable and relatable, even the grumpy Grim Reaper, Margot. It was the world that truly drew me in.

Hutchins paints a good picture of this new world with Grim Reapers, fantasy creatures who hide in plain sight, and of poor Sam's dilemma a
LegendOfPeach
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those looking for a casual read
- Read as part of the Sapphic Book Club for Feburary 2020 -

I'm unsure how to feel about this after reading it.

The book starts strong, Sam's a charming surfer with a caring streak and unconditional love for her family, the sort of person you'd instinctually trust your life (or death, ha) with.

Then there's Lauren, my favorite. Passionate school teacher with a strong assertive streak in some areas. Relationships had treated her rather badly and once she stands up for herself and ditches her current
maani
Feb 11, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: wlw-reads
This was our February 2020 read for Sapphic Book Club (sapphicbookclub.tumblr.com)

Ah, I really don't know how to rate or review this book in a way that'll convey what I felt, but I'll try. I really fought between trying to figure out whether it was a 2.5 or a 3 but eventually decided on the 3. Would I recommend this book to someone else? Yes. It's a good light read, but you do have to adjust your expectations. Still, I'd be inclined to read another book by this author - maybe.

Short summary: Sam
Caitlin
Corrie
Okay, I’ve tried. I read a short story (Yule Love Her) and now a full-length one called The Grim Assistant. It’s the first in a new series but I will not be exploring this author any further. Her writing style just doesn’t do it for me. It happens sometimes.

f/f

Themes: surfing mail carrier turns to the Grim Reaper’s assistant by mistake.

3 Stars
hubsie
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I actually quite enjoyed this and give it a 3.5/5. I think the idea of other-worldy Grimm's helping souls to the "other side" is comforting. This was a different kind of read for me, and while it has some flaws, overall I was drawn to the prickly Margo, and Sam the butch-y kind hearted surfer. Lauren was a little harder to warm up to for some reason. A good first read by this author. ...more
Carmen
Aug 20, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal, lgbt, romance
I received a copy from NineStar Press through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Samantha spends her early mornings surfing and the rest of the day delivering mail. The rest of her time is spent pining over her friend, Lauren, and supporting her sister while she goes through a bad divorce. Life is as simple as it can get when there’s drama surrounding a divorce until Sam drowns while she’s out surfing one early morning. Waking up in the space between life and death, Sam is given a choice
Carol Hutchinson
Sep 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was fascinated!

Samantha finds herself offered with helping a Grim Reaper, after accidentally finding herself dead after an incident when she has been surfing early one morning. It’s an offer she couldn’t really refuse, but it doesn’t really turn out to be as simple as it sounded, and it isn’t without consequences.

So I got more than I expected with this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it because it was different and not what I thought it might be at all. Despite the title eluding to a dark par
Sadie Forsythe
2.5

I think the best way to describe my relationship with this book is to admit that I checked my progress at the end of EVERY chapter. I was literally counting down until the end. The reason is that I was BORED. This book seemed focused on all the wrong places, the pacing was inconsistent, as was Lauren's character. It's predictable, repetitive, and written largely in tell (instead of show), so I didn't feel connected to anyone.
Sameena Jehanzeb
Aug 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Good things first: The Grim Assistant is a fun and cozy read. Sam and Lauren are a nice couple and I liked the idea of the Grim. Their job isn't precisely fun and they have to deal with all kinds of ghosts who refuse to go into the afterlife as long as they have unfinished business on earth. But Margo and Sam have a humorous way of handling things. What I liked most about the restless ghosts is that they haven't all been good people when they were still alive. Serial Killers have unfinished busi ...more
Joyfully Jay
Aug 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

The premise of this book was interesting and I want to say fun, and although the subject matter of death does not lend it itself to being fun, it still was. Sam is fine with her life. Her job is fine and she has a sister and nephew she is close to and she surfs with her best friend when she can. Her love life is not going as smoothly and the customer on her route, Lauren, certainly turns her head, but Lauren is taken. Lauren has not had the best time with relatio
Colleen Corgel
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was actually really great. I thought it was going to be more of a comedy, but it turned out to be a really sweet romance that has some funny bits to it. I also love that Hutchins takes the concept of a psycho-pomp and turns it into this whole office gig. We don't see much of it, but Margo, who is quite possibly the worst grim reaper I have read about, always mentions quotas and such. It's played for laughs as much as the serious magical consequences that occur when messing with the supernat ...more
F.
Aug 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The love story of Sam and Lauren would be quite unremarkable, were it not that Sam gets recruited as an assistant Grim Reaper. I like some fun paranormal stories, and DEATH in the Disc World series is my favourite character. Apart from Granny Weatherwax, of course. If you have a story that involves grim reaping things can get a little morose, I guess. I found the snippets with the lost souls almost unbearably sad, and it dimmed my enjoyment of the book a bit. I don't really enjoy being sad, and ...more
Isa
Aug 30, 2019 marked it as on-my-shelf
This is actually only $6 on Kindle right now, which is over half off. A good opportunity to try something new.
Coleyoly
May 28, 2020 rated it really liked it
Sapphic Book Club: February 2020 read

I enjoyed this book! There's something satisfying about reading urban fantasy, like if you look around the right corner at the wrong time you'll end up seeing *something*. This is something that The Grim Assistant provided along with a nice sprinkle of romance. The characters were likeable, believable, and witty, and Sam and Lauren seem like they make a good match.

In the second half of the story, it feels like the dialogue and the sequencing gets rushed. Afte
Cath
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fun read, loved every word

Loved this book and an off to start the sequel immediately.
Jodi Hutchins is a wonderful author; her writing style flows smoothly and her characters have superb depth and humanity. I love the quirkiness and humour in this tale of love and unlikely alliances
The Queerblr
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queerblr-shelf
The new take on classic paranormal creatures, tackling the problematic “bury your gays” trope and making it successful, and well-developed characters make me excited to see where the “Tales from the Grim” series goes from here. I’m interested to see if future books in the series will continue to focus on Sam and Lauren or if the perspectives will shift to a different set of characters.
Your Lips... Apocalypse..
Aug 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. Engaging enough, but not exceptional. I've read the synopsis and immediately made the decision to read this. You could say after reading the premise my expectation were bit high and might be because of that I'm reducing the rating from 4 to 3.5 Stars.

Apart from that, no complaint from me. It was a fun book to read.
Ashley
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bb-review
Samantha Diaz, a postal carrier and amateur surfer, likes the life she’s got. She works, looks out for her sister and nephew, surfs in her free time, and has a bit of a crush on one of the residents living on her postal route. Sam’s morning surf doesn’t go as expected when a freak thunderstorm rolls in that creates a riptide that pulls Sam under to her death. When she wakes up on in the hospital, the last thing she expects is for a random woman named Margo to be spouting information about Grim R ...more
Roni
Aug 05, 2019 rated it liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review from Netgalley

When I first read the summary I was so happy- this was the book I've been looking for. A gritty, thrilling novel with LQBTQ romance galore. I was met instead with a very cute urban fantasy that though did not meet my expectations provided me with something I did not know I needed...FLUFF. Throughout the book, I really believed Sam was real, she had depth and I was rooting for her and her bae the whole time! I thought the exchang

Logan Angell
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I got an opportunity to read The Grim Assistant in advance thanks to NetGalley and I thoroughly enjoyed it! It reminded me very much of Meg Cabot’s Abandon series but on a more mature level.

I was very pleased with the main characters, Sam and Lauren. They for sure had chemistry! If you’re looking for a quality LGBTQ fantasy then this is it. There’s a great deal of world building that is very intriguing and a wide array of characters that are unique and fun.

The representation in this book is a b
Cheryl
Aug 12, 2019 rated it liked it
This book seemed quite different to anything I had ever read before. Paranormal is not really my first genre choice, but I quite enjoyed The Grim Assistant.

Sam is a surfer and postal carrier. Things go a bit haywire when a morning surf doesn't quite go to plan and she dies. What follows is an interesting journey as a Grim Assistant while navigating a new relationship with Lauren.

What I liked was that this book surprised me. It was very open, fast paced and didn't rely on angst to draw the reader

• The Wrong McElroy
  • 30 Dates in 30 Days
  • Technically Faking
  • Fear of Falling
  • Back to September
  • Borage (The Plague Tree Coven, #1)
  • Reaping the Benefits
  • Temptation
  • Requiem for Immortals
  • Coming Home
  • Thursday Afternoons
  • Sunsets and Shades (Sunsets and Shades, #1)
See top shelves…
Jodi Hutchins is a healthcare professional by day and fanatical writer by night. Along with taking entirely too many photos of their four cats, they drink coffee strong enough to hold up a spoon, pretend to harbor an artistic talent, bake more things than they can possibly eat, and hike with their spouse and children as often as they can despite the near-omnipresent rain of Western Washington.

Tales from the Grim (2 books)
  • Grimmer Intentions (Tales from the Grim, #2)