Start by marking “Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)

Dread Pirate Arcanist

(Frith Chronicles #2)

Pirates. Griffins. A lost treasure worth killing for.

While protecting the newborn griffins on the Isle of Landin, Volke Savan and his adopted sister, Illia, run afoul of the Dread Pirate Calisto, the same cutthroat who carved out Illia’s right eye. As a master manticore arcanist, Calisto’s strength and brutality are unrivaled, so when Illia suggests they bring him t

Published September 17th 2019 by Capital Station Books

To ask other readers questions about Dread Pirate Arcanist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dread Pirate Arcanist

Start your review of Dread Pirate Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #2)
A.D.
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Missing cubs, plague ridden griffins, and psycho pirates …

What could go wrong?

When Volke and Luthair save a cub and two children from a plagued griffon, everything starts going downhill as they encounter revenge driven swashbucklers to hordes of psychos. Even if Volke is learning to manipulate the shadows, they still have to watch out for Calisto and his manticore.

Readers will have trouble putting this action packed adventure down and pray for more! Assuming they don’t get robbed by a pirate.
Margaret Adelle
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book by the author in return for an honest review.

This is the third book I've read of Shami Stovall's and I've found certain hallmarks in her work. There's the "softboi" male protagonist. The world-affecting conflict and a gigantically (in some cases literally) explosive endings. And this more of that swashbuckling goodness.

While the beginning of this book mirrors the first, starting off with a bonding ceremony and subsequent search for eldrin, it changes course part
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Dread Pirate Arcanist is the second book in the Frith Chronicles, and you return to the world of Volke and Illia, plus the others who are all becoming increasingly interesting as the books go on!

It starts with Volke and Illia both wanting to see griffins up-close-and-personal. However, the arcanists are called to action when the eldest griffin male and one of his cubs both go missing. Then it appears two boys have also disappeared. Whilst teamed up with someone Volke didn't really want to be tea
Tejas
Sep 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great addition

This book just turned the first book into a great series. A great new fantasy book for all fans of the genre.
BooksCoffee
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In this intuitive second installment in the Frith Chronicles, the teen arcanists must protect the mystical creatures of the Isle of Landlin from the deadly scheming of a deadly pirate leader in order to secure survival of the people of the Island.

It is been a year since Volke Savan, Illia and other teens started their training under the guidance of Master Arcanists Zelfree. While protecting the newborn griffins on the Isle of Landin, the teens come across the Dread Pirate Calisto, the pirate wh
Tharsult
Aug 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brandy Mulder
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good sequel! I recommend reading book one as this one picks up shortly after the first and it doesn’t really go over anything from the previous book. This book has it all. Pirates, magic, magical creatures, secrets and revenge.
Volke and the other apprentice arcanists are sent with their master to protect Griffins during a bonding ceremony. Arcanists are people who have bonded with a magical creature, similar to having a familiar as a witch or wizard in other books but a bit more
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Volke and Illia are back and training to become better Arcanist with Master Zelfree. The Arcanist now has new magic to deal with and is learning to prefect it. Volke and Illia are assigned to look after baby griffins on the Isle of Landin.

When one of the baby griffins are taken a couple of little boys, brothers wants to help and take off after the baby griffins Volke and Illia chase after the boys but when they find them they have been severely injured.

During their rescue attempt they run afoul
Jasmine
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh, my sweet babies. Where do I even begin?
I honestly don't even know if I have the words to describe how much I love this book.
Move over Harry Potter; I have a new favorite magical series to obsess and fangirl over. Seriously, I wish I could live inside this series. It's magical. It's vivid. It's fantastical. It's full of action and adventure, and there's even a bit of a romance square (not a triangle) going on too.
My husband read the book before I did, and he wanted to add his two cents to my
Bruce Parrello
Oct 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A worthy sequel

Like the first book, this one has a definite story with a satisfying end, but leaves plenty of plot threads open for the future. It is distinguished from most YA fiction by the fact it eschews the adults-are-useless trope. The protagonists are real teenagers with real teenage flaws and problems, and they learn real teenage lessons. The action is slow to start, but once it takes off, the book is impossible to put down. The battles are real and exciting, with just the right combinat
Andrew
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Good series so far!

I really enjoy this series. Comes along sat a good pace, good character development, and good fight scenes. The magic system is interesting and doesn’t seem overpowered or helpless for the protagonists, and there’s still a good bit left to learn about it. Interested to see where the protagonists go from here and how Volke resolves the triangle he finds himself in.
Oliver Williams
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

It was a nice continuation of the story. The character progression of Volke throughout the book refines the traits shown in the first book.
Mary Yarde
Jan 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing

“End me while I can still comprehend the magnitude of my crimes...”

Luthair, a mythical creature known as a Knightmare, lived within the darkness, and sometimes so did Volke Savan, but as the young arcanist sat on the rocky cliff looking out over the Isle of Landin, Volke had no knowledge about how dark this day would become and what it would mean for a regal Griffin, his friends, his sister, and the man whom he was apprenticed to — Master Zelfree.

When the alarm was raised that the majestic Griff
Ally Swanson
Nov 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is such an intriguing, inspiring, captivating, and thought-provoking read!!!

It was great catching back up with Volke, his “adopted” sister Illia, and the rest of the arcanist gang for another exciting adventure!

This book was a fun, quick, easy read that I was unable to put down! The pages just flew right by and before I knew it, I was already on the last page!

This is the third book I’ve read from the talented writer, Shami Stovall. A few months ago I had the privilege of reading her bo
NoNo JoJo
Dec 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
Preface: I received a free copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

I was so delighted to see this sequel on my reviewer site, and I wasn't let down. As expected, given how much I enjoyed the first installment of the series, I loved this book! It has all the strengths of the first - a wonderful world, which keeps developing with new and interesting facets in this book, and a lovable cast of varied characters. I absolutely adore the main character, which is rare in series like this. He
Henriette
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
The gang has their first official assignment. They are supposed to watch over the griffin bonding ceremony on Landin. While there the male of the breeding pair and one of his cubs disappear. He was deliberately infected by the dread pirate Calisto so that one of his men could steal a cartographer's journal. Calisto also happens to be the pirate who killed Ilia's parents and cut out her eye. Blinded by revenge she sets out after him with Volke in pursuit to save her.

If you liked the first book,
Cheryl
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book continues with Volke Savan and his adopted sister, Illia. This book really should be read in chronological order. Readers reading this book without having read the first may get lost. Also, the first book is just as good as this book, so it should not be missed.

Volke and Illia are not as afraid and take more of leader roles. My favorite is Illia. It is great to see strong female lead characters in books. Although, it was very nice to see everyone again. I felt like I learned more abou
Cameron
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great story!

What I like about this series is the magical creatures, and the adventure. And this book has both. In spades. Want adventure? Pirates? Want creatures? How about pirates bonded with magical creatures that like human flesh?

That’s what this book has. It’s filled with twists and turns and lots of fun. And good character growth for our cast of characters. Everyone gets a little more filled out, and by the end feel like they are even more real than before.

Really enjoyed this. Lookin
Chris Kirkby
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Those darn kids

It’s hard to remember at times during this story that the characters are still coming of age while sailing the seven seas in search of pirates and treasure, but darn won’t those kids just kiss already! A great read and I look forward to the next adventure
Tim Bookout
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book two awesome.

Great follow up in a great series. Very unique magical components and plotline. The character are intriguing and complicated. Fin read and I look forward to the next one. Nothing to not like.
Drew
Nov 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I am always going to have a little bit of a tough time with one. One minute there are teens fretting for an entire chapter about skinny dipping (boooo) and the next someone's rib cage is being torn open (yay!). As long as the main character is an unlikeable sulky teenager, this series won't be as good as I want it to be.

That being said, the actual story and universe in these books is extremely fun. How the magic ties in to the arcanist/creature pairings makes for a very unique fantasy world. De
Patricia Goodson
Mar 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Exciting Adventure

New learning arcanists that go to try and kill an evil pirate. He had killed a girls mother and father and destroyed her face and took her eye. What could happen did!
gj indieBRAG
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
We are proud to announce that DREAD PIRATE ARCANIST (Frith Chronicles #2) by Shami Stovall is a B.R.A.G.Medallion Honoree. This tells readers that this book is well worth their time and money!
Debra Ryan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Magic and Pirates an exciting combination

This series keeps getting better and better. I think Traces is my favorite mystical creature she is more than she appears and is unique.
Russell Gray
Jun 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book and I'd imagine that most readers will do the same. I would expect that you will have a similar experience to this book as the first. I actually liked this one a bit more, though that might have more to do with knowing what to expect versus going into the first book blind.

There are many Harry Potter parallels in these books, or maybe I should say HP inspiration. While noticeable, I think these stories do a good job of standing on their own legs and don't feel like a knockoff
Kat
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Get ready for an action-packed story filled with adventure, magical creatures, and their survival.

I would recommend reading the first book before diving into this one. You'll love the addition of the background and character development.

If you love stories with tons of unique creatures, you will love this world. Every page seems to have a new one popping up, and its was so fun to get to watch the characters interact with them.

And if you love epic pirates, this is also the book you want! The w
Tamara
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
She wants revenge and he is not sure how to help.

I loved this one. Volke and the rest of the new apprentices to the Frith Guild are guarding a bonding ceremony when pirates attack. Volke's own eldrin is tragetted when they come across a pirate. When Illia finds out that it was a pirate from the Third Abyss she come up with a crazy plan and this is a must read to find out what Volke does about it and how the plan goes.
Sally D
Sep 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Don't usually read a lot of fantasy but I read the first one and wanted to see what happened. Also I am a friend of Gail Stovall. Great writing!
Erin Grey
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Another great installment in the series. Even more exciting than the first and great to see how the characters develop.
Pat Patterson
Oct 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As far as I could tell, there is no link, whatsoever, to Princess Bride. However, the title HAS to be in homage to the characters. Feel free to correct my misapprehension.

Things I love. I LOVE it when an author throws in something wonderful. It can be a DELIGHTFUL choice of phrase; maybe a throw-away line that tells you EVERYTHING; or, probably my favorite, when the author shows a gifted insight into the way people work. When I find a passage like that, I want to run to someone, and READ it to t

• A Traitor in Skyhold (Mage Errant #3)
  • The Lost City of Ithos (Mage Errant #4)
  • Jewel of the Endless Erg (Mage Errant #2)
  • Wintersteel (Cradle, #8)
  • The Torch that Ignites the Stars (Arcane Ascension, #3)
  • Into the Labyrinth (Mage Errant #1)
  • Heart's Darkness (The Magician's Brother, #5)
  • Street Cultivation 3
  • Iron Prince (Warformed: Stormweaver, #1)
  • Burning Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #4)
  • Hollow Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #1)
  • Eclipse Core (School of Swords and Serpents, #2)
  • Shadowborn's Terror (The Magician's Brother, #4)
  • The First War (A Thousand Li #3)
  • The Second Expedition (A Thousand Li, #4)
  • The Nothing Mage
  • Archon's Hope (The Magician's Brother, #3)
  • The Magician's Brother (The Magician's Brother, #1)
Shami Stovall is a multi-award-winning author of fantasy and science fiction, with several best-selling novels under her belt. Before that, she taught history and criminal law at the college level, and loved every second. When she’s not reading fascinating articles and books about ancient China or the Byzantine Empire, Stovall can be found playing way too many video games, especially RPGs and tact ...more

Frith Chronicles (6 books)
  • Knightmare Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #1)
  • Coliseum Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #3)
  • Plague Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #4)
  • World Serpent Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #5)
  • Warlord Arcanist (Frith Chronicles, #6)