Start by marking “The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)

The Rise of Skywalker

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel #9)

Witness the epic final chapter of the Skywalker saga with the official novelization of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, including expanded scenes and additional content not seen in theaters!

The Resistance has been reborn. But although Rey and her fellow heroes are back in the fight, the war against the First Order, now led by Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, is far from over. Jus
Hardcover, Expanded Edition, 247 pages
Published March 17th 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Skywalker, please sign up.
Daz It's available in all good book stores as far as I am aware.…moreIt's available in all good book stores as far as I am aware.(less)

Start your review of The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
Khurram
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Rae Carson. Thank you for making the book feel like Star Wars. I have no doubt if Rae was given free reign she would have written a 5 star book the would have corrected all the mistakes in the movie. I was expecting a salvage job from this book but it is a lot better than I expected.

Unlike a certain director who said he did not care about Star Wars lore when he made the movie, Rae has done her research, adding in bit of information for the other Star Wars book in the Disney era. Includ
Marianneboss
Dec 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
I DEMAND THIS BOOK TO HAVE AN ALTERNATE ENDING WHERE (view spoiler) SURVIVES AT THE END.

description["br"]>["br"]>
Gerhard
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy, 2020
I can honestly say that not only is this one of the most enjoyable Star Wars novelisations I have ever read, but also the one that adds the most to its source material. Most importantly, I think, reading this has made me appreciate and understand some of the creative choices that J.J. Abrams made with The Rise of Skywalker.

I understand the movie better as a result of reading Rae Carson’s impeccable novelisation – whether or not that means the movie itself is a failure is open to interpretation.
Bria
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is impossible for a novelization to fix the biggest problems I had with the movie but it can bring some new depth and appreciation for the story. That’s exactly what Rae Carson has achieved here.
Paola
rapunzel
"Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse

[...]Change the Fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine."

(view spoiler)

AFTER READING 2.5 stars ⭐
(view spoiler)
Eva B.
"That's how they win. By making us think we're alone." ...more
Gemma F
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Bar
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as nope
Obi-Wan Kenobi Rae Carson, you're my only hope.

Either make this a novelization of TROS, the one before Jar Jar started messing it up, or give us ending with Rey preparing to enter World Between Worlds to bring back her canon soulmate.

#BenSolodeservesbetter
Robert
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Ready to RISE
I enjoyed the greater insights into the thoughts and motivations of characters like Allegiant General Pryde (view spoiler), Zorii Bliss and co. as well as Lando or Leia. Obviously it was an advantage to the author to not be limited to the available footage of the late, lamented Carrie Fisher and it helps in a major way to make her connection to Rey and the legacy of Luke come through much more clearly.

Art Credit: saintworksart of Devianta
Drewthereader20
This was my first book by rae carson and I really enjoyed it! I love how we got some answers and different scene in here than we did in the movie. So thank u Rae for writing this book!(:
Neil R. Coulter
Jun 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, star-wars
I used to love movie novelizations when I was a kid. At that time, it was one of the only ways to revisit a movie I loved, because home video wasn't yet a part of everyday life. I also liked how the authors would add to the story of the movie—scenes that were either cut from the final version of the film or that were totally made up just for the book adaptation.

It seems like perhaps that's all a thing of the past, however. The novelizations for the recent Star Wars films have been disappointing—
Karen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hoping they include the Kylo/Ben redemption arch they cut out in the film.
Thomas
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was ok
*sigh* Rae Carson did her best with a bad script. She gave added depth and context to many scenes in Rise of Skywalker. Her action captured the frenetic pace of the film. She got the voices of the characters right. She was able to spend more time with General Leia, as the film had to adapt her part around Carrie Fisher's death.

But at its core, the story just isn't that good. It crams too much into too little time. The threads do not weave together into a beautiful tapestry. It does not transcend
Catherine Stormblessed
The way that this SCRAMBLES to make up for the disaster that is The Rise of Skywalker.
I read this for one of the most epic videos I’ve ever crafted: https://youtu.be/Qog8bFinBMg
Lizzie
Apr 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’m at war with myself at what rating to give this. ****Spoilers ahead if you have not read the book or seen the movie****

My angry side wants to give it a ZERO star rating for being all over the place and for killing Ben Solo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My it’s was ok for the last chapter in the Skywalker saga wants to give it a 3 stars
But my ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE WITH KYLO REN/BEN SOLO SIDE gives it a 5 stars. Personally in my humble opinion, he was the best part of this new trilogy. I loved the idea of him an
Sarina
Mar 24, 2020 rated it it was ok
The thing about the sequels is that they carry deep personal meaning for me. While I love the other Star Wars movies, the themes and characters of the sequel trilogy particularly resonate with me. I have an especially strong bond with Rey, who has been an inspiration for me during a very dark period of my life. But this attachment to my own interpretation of the characters and themes makes it difficult to embrace someone else’s interpretation of it, be that Rae Carson’s or anyone else’s. My rati ...more
Kate
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
It was hard to rate this book. Was it well-written? Not really. But did it even stand a chance, considering it's based on a lukewarm messy attempt to undo everything that was new, original and interesting in Star Wars from TLJ?

Not really.

I only have three overwhelming thoughts upon parting with this book.

1) Rose Tico remains intergalactic treasure and deserved not only better, but also just MORE
2) Redemption by death simply must be the laziest, most boring and overplayed trope EVER
3) "The connec
♠ TABI⁷ ♠
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
here's to hopelessly thinking this may deliver a better story than the movie?? ...more
Zahira⚡️ Azriel’s mate
i’m still not over Ben’s fate. it’s so cruel. i hate it here.
Stephen
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Rise of Skywalker novelization is a quick, but good read. It adds a bit more to the movie and the characters without straying too far from the fast, action paced plot of the film. Readers will get to find out just how Palpatine survived, how his son came about, and more. There’s extended scenes that were hinted at with the behind-the-scenes artwork, plus sections that help transition characters from one place to another that the movie didn’t have time to delve into. But beyond the book just ...more
Debbie
Mar 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Ok I usually don’t read novelizations of the Star Wars movies but the spoilers about the random facts being revealed in this book are getting out of hand. SO MANY new facts popping up out of nowhere with no references in the movie. I feel like I need to read it for myself because good Lord.
ava
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Anthony
Apr 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this novelisation!

There's some added scenes and some much needed explanation to some stuff which all in all makes it for a good read
Chris Greensmith
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: star-wars
"Episode IX
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power....

Very much the same. A few plot holes from the f
Wilhelmina
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Got a copy at C2E2. And it was just...really boring? Not even the additional scenes and character POVs made it a compelling read. The prose was as dry as paint chips, and some of the moments I was on the fence about from the movie felt even more unconvincing in the novel, or like they opened up more plot holes. I don’t think I can pin any qualms I have with the story on this book since the book is just adapting a story from someone else’s script, but the writing style is what made this a truly d ...more
Vonze
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Maybe I'm in my own boat here, but I liked *most* of the movie. I think a lot of people would agree it needed more time and/or to be longer to nail what it attempted to do. Alas, Star Wars, for whatever reason, is not privileged in Disney's eyes like Marvel: Endgame.

The consolation prize, for fans needing more, is the novelization has extras that would have made the movie a little clearer in some scenes. Descriptions, yes, but also added dialogue, and entire POVs for characters like Zorri, Hux,
Amber
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars because Rae Carson wrote a story I hate as beautifully as she could. She didn't plot this and doesn't deserve a bad review for it. ...more
Dreximgirl
It was a decent novelisation but just didn't capture the characters for me personally. ...more
Catalina
After the Last Jedi, everyone raged and speculated. But in that film, Lucasfilm gave us the clue, the message, the hope, in one line. (And it had nothing to do with sparks)

Take it easy, Big F [big fans]. They blow you up today, you blow them up tomorrow. It's... just business!

DJ

This is my favourite novelisation of the Sequels. Rae Carson has worked some magic on this material: our heroes on an epic quest through the Galaxy in search of objects and answers, while being chased by Kylo and his dark K
Marianne Moresco
Feb 29, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Star Wars Legends...: Spoiler filled TRoS chat 6 6 Sep 14, 2020 11:23AM
Star Wars Book Club: The Rise of Skywalker 6 38 May 01, 2020 11:03PM

• The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • The Force Awakens (Star Wars: Novelizations, #7)
  • Shadow Fall (Star Wars: Alphabet Squadron, #2)
  • Poe Dameron: Free Fall (Star Wars)
  • From a Certain Point of View: The Empire Strikes Back (From a Certain Point of View, #2)
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Light of the Jedi
  • Chaos Rising (Star Wars: Thrawn Ascendancy, #1)
  • Disclosure
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • The Cat in the Hat (The Cat in the Hat, #1)
  • The Return of the King (The Lord of the Rings, #3)
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren
  • Jurassic Park (Jurassic Park, #1)
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 56 books)
  • Light of the Jedi
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • The Rising Storm (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Dooku: Jedi Lost (Star Wars)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)

News & Interviews

“Han Solo was his past. But Rey was his light.” 4 likes
“He said that a lot back then. When I did this on Dagobah…It was obnoxious and completely unhelpful. So Leia reminded him, “You’re being obnoxious and completely unhelpful.” 2 likes