Start by marking “The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)

The Rise of Skywalker

(Star Wars Disney Canon Novel #9)

Witness the epic final chapter of the Skywalker saga with the official novelization of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, including expanded scenes and additional content not seen in theaters!

The Resistance has been reborn. But although Rey and her fellow heroes are back in the fight, the war against the First Order, now led by Supreme Leader Kylo Ren, is far from over.
Hardcover, Expanded Edition, 247 pages
Published March 17th 2020 by Del Rey

To ask other readers questions about The Rise of Skywalker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Rise of Skywalker

Start your review of The Rise of Skywalker (Star Wars: Novelizations, #9)
Marianneboss
Dec 23, 2019 marked it as to-read
I DEMAND THIS BOOK TO HAVE AN ALTERNATE ENDING WHERE (view spoiler) SURVIVES AT THE END.

description
Monica Weldon
Dec 22, 2019 marked it as to-read
Gerhard
Mar 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-and-fantasy, 2020
I can honestly say that not only is this one of the most enjoyable Star Wars novelisations I have ever read, but also the one that adds the most to its source material. Most importantly, I think, reading this has made me appreciate and understand some of the creative choices that J.J. Abrams made with The Rise of Skywalker.

I understand the movie better as a result of reading Rae Carsons impeccable novelisation whether or not that means the movie itself is a failure is open to interpretation.
Paola
Jan 01, 2020 is currently reading it
rapunzel
"Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse

[...]Change the Fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine."

(view spoiler)
Gemma F
Oct 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
Khurram
Mar 31, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Rae Carson. Than you for making the book feel like Star Wars. I have no doubt if Rae was given free reign she would have written a 5 star book the would have corrected all the mistakes in the movie. I was expecting a salvage job from this book but it is a lot better than I expected.

Unlike a certain director who said he did not care about Star Wars lore when he made the movie, Rae has done her research, adding in bit of information for the other Star Wars book in the Disney era.
Bar
Dec 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
Obi-Wan Kenobi Rae Carson, you're my only hope.

Either make this a novelization of TROS, the one before Jar Jar started messing it up, or give us ending with Rey preparing to enter World Between Worlds to bring back her canon soulmate.

#BenSolodeservesbetter
Eva B.
Dec 25, 2019 marked it as to-read
The sequels are good and y'all are just mean. Also, anyone who comments to be all "ughhhhh TLJ RUINED STAR WARZ!!!1" or whatever you guys complain about will be blocked without hesitation :)
I've been in this fandom for over half my life, and a bunch of whiny dudebros aren't gonna ruin that for me.

All the Ben Solo stans in the review section are wild, and I say that as a Ben Solo stan. We're lucky he even got a redemption arc, and y'all are whining about how a man who caused pain, death, and
Karen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hoping they include the Kylo/Ben redemption arch they cut out in the film.
♠ TABI ♠
Dec 26, 2019 marked it as to-read
Shelves: pre-ordered
here's to hopelessly thinking this may deliver a better story than the movie??
Bria
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
It is impossible for a novelization to fix the biggest problems I had with the movie but it can bring some new depth and appreciation for the story. Thats exactly what Rae Carson has achieved here. ...more
Debbie
Mar 05, 2020 marked it as to-read
Ok I usually dont read novelizations of the Star Wars movies but the spoilers about the random facts being revealed in this book are getting out of hand. SO MANY new facts popping up out of nowhere with no references in the movie. I feel like I need to read it for myself because good Lord. ...more
Noah King
Jan 03, 2020 rated it did not like it
Rating is for the film, I imagine this is even worse though because you have to read it
Chris Greensmith
Mar 25, 2020 rated it liked it
"Episode IX
THE RISE OF SKYWALKER
The dead speak! The galaxy has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late EMPEROR PALPATINE.
GENERAL LEIA ORGANA dispatches secret agents to gather intelligence, while REY, the last hope of the Jedi, trains for battle against the diabolical FIRST ORDER.
Meanwhile, Supreme Leader KYLO REN rages in search of the phantom Emperor, determined to destroy any threat to his power....

Very much the same. A few plot holes from the
Stephen
Mar 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Rise of Skywalker novelization is a quick, but good read. It adds a bit more to the movie and the characters without straying too far from the fast, action paced plot of the film. Readers will get to find out just how Palpatine survived, how his son came about, and more. Theres extended scenes that were hinted at with the behind-the-scenes artwork, plus sections that help transition characters from one place to another that the movie didnt have time to delve into. But beyond the book just ...more
Robert
Mar 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those Ready to RISE
I enjoyed the greater insights into the thoughts and motivations of characters like Allegiant General Pryde (view spoiler), Zorii Bliss and co. as well as Lando or Leia. Obviously it was an advantage to the author to not be limited to the available footage of the late, lamented Carrie Fisher and it helps in a major way to make her connection to Rey and the legacy of Luke come through much more clearly.

Art Credit: saintworksart of
Amber
Mar 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
4 Stars because Rae Carson wrote a story I hate as beautifully as she could. She didn't plot this and doesn't deserve a bad review for it.
Zahira⚡️
Mar 18, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own, starwars
im still not over Bens fate. its so cruel. i hate it here. ...more
Wilhelmina
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Got a copy at C2E2. And it was just...really boring? Not even the additional scenes and character POVs made it a compelling read. The prose was as dry as paint chips, and some of the moments I was on the fence about from the movie felt even more unconvincing in the novel, or like they opened up more plot holes. I dont think I can pin any qualms I have with the story on this book since the book is just adapting a story from someone elses script, but the writing style is what made this a truly ...more
Chris Evans

Shelves: dnf
Matthew Rushing
Mar 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, 2020
4.5. Great additions to the film.
Rainy Daze
Feb 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hope the book explores Kylo/Ben and Reys connection through the force in depth. ...more
Nicis
It was ok. As boring and meaningless as the movie felt for me. Cynical (I really had to read with my own two eyes that the force is stronger than love, which opposes the end of Return of the Jedi where Luke's love and compassion save the galaxy), choppy, mostly boring.

The force feels like nothing more than a power up. Rey, Finn and Poe lost most of their personalities to show a weird dynamic of "we are bffs but you never saw us together before so have some fun dialogue". Rose at least has like
Vonze
Mar 30, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: star-wars
Maybe I'm in my own boat here, but I liked *most* of the movie. I think a lot of people would agree it needed more time and/or to be longer to nail what it attempted to do. Alas, Star Wars, for whatever reason, is not privileged in Disney's eyes like Marvel: Endgame.

The consolation prize, for fans needing more, is the novelization has extras that would have made the movie a little clearer in some scenes. Descriptions, yes, but also added dialogue, and entire POVs for characters like Zorri, Hux,
ava
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Chris Carey
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: star-wars
Rae Carson does an admirable job with this novelization, but no matter how much perfume you put on a turd... its still a turd. ...more
David
Mar 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
Lisa
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My full review can be found here: https://www.coffeewithkenobi.com/book...

Book: 4.5/5
Audiobook: 5/5
Valerie Joy
Jan 31, 2020 marked it as to-read
Shelves: march-april
Help us, Rae Carson, you're our only hope.
You have not let me down with your writing before. Please just give us a whole heck of a lot of Kylo Ren/Ben Solo in this book.
The end.
(WHY IS THIS ONLY 240 PAGES?!?!?)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Star Wars: The Rise of Kylo Ren
  • Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker: The Visual Dictionary
  • Resistance Reborn (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #1)
  • Force Collector (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #2)
  • Spark of the Resistance  (Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, #3)
  • The Last Best Hope (Star Trek: Picard)
  • Journey to Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker - Allegiance
  • Star Wars: The Rise Of Kylo Ren (2019-) #4 (of 4)
  • Star Wars: The Rise Of Kylo Ren (2019-) #3 (of 4)
  • The Last Jedi (Star Wars: Novelizations, #8)
  • Disclosure
  • The House of Hades (The Heroes of Olympus, #4)
  • Black Spire (Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, #2)
  • Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
  • 'Salem's Lot
  • The Autobiography of Malcolm X
  • The Cat in the Hat
Rae Carson was born in 1973 in California and now lives in Arizona. She developed an enthusiasm for storytelling in her earliest childhood. She studied social sciences and worked in various industries after graduating from university before she realized her dream and became a writer. The Girl of Fire and Thorns is her debut novel.

In her own words, she "write[s] books about teens who must do brave

Star Wars Disney Canon Novel (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Light of the Jedi (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Into the Dark (Star Wars: The High Republic)
  • Master and Apprentice (Star Wars)
  • Thrawn Ascendancy: Chaos Rising
  • Queen's Peril (Star Wars)
  • The Phantom Menace (Star Wars: Novelizations, #1)
  • Queen's Shadow (Star Wars)
  • Attack of the Clones (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2)
  • The Clone Wars (Star Wars: Novelizations, #2.1)
  • Revenge of the Sith (Star Wars: Novelizations, #3)

News & Interviews