Start by marking “Gravity” as Want to Read:
Gravity

Gravity

Gravity is a collection of poems that explores the rise and fall of an intense relationship. The kind where the other person is the Gravity keeping you anchored to the planet and you worry that without them, you may float off into space.

And then it is finding the strength to realize the relationship is not what you want, after all. It is several years, several breakups, se
Published October 8th 2019 by Nightingale & Sparrow Press

To ask other readers questions about Gravity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gravity

Start your review of Gravity
Mela Blust
Nov 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gravity is a relatable gut-punch for anyone who has ever been in love. Schmidt navigates the highs and lows of what means to love, and to lose - pries open the ribcage and shows you the beauty, and the ugliness, and everything in between.
Lannie Stabile
Oct 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Gravity is not just sweet poems about plastic galaxies. It is a cohesive collection recalling grief, anger, resentment, and love. Beware, there are lines in this book that will detonate you like a supernova.
Josh Dale
Nov 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Like stars, humans pull each other together, but can also propel them into chaos when the revolution is complete. That’s what this collection does. It penetrates the atmosphere with moments in time that are indeed heavy and tumultuous. A great debut.
Heather Rogers
Dec 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lynne does an amazing and beautiful job of guiding you through the ups and downs, mostly downs, of intense emotions. She drags you emotionally through her experiences and leaves the reader breathless at the end.

Beautiful work. 100% recommend. If you don’t buy I think you’re silly.
Samantha
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Awesome poems by an awesome poet.
Worth the money.
I cried a lot.
Fred
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An intense book of poems containing pure, raw emotion. The author Lynne Schmidt puts it all out there for everyone to go on this journey with her.
Jeremy Herrick
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fucking amazing collection of poetry. Cant wait to read more from the author.
Kate Mageau
Mar 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lynne Schmidt’s poetry book, Gravity, pulls at your heart strings and brings you down to your soul. It is a series of poems about a painful breakup. She tells the story of her pain so profoundly, that when I first got her book I couldn’t read it. I was going through my own breakup at the time, and her poems touched my soul so deeply that it brought out more pain. It helped illuminate my pain, but so much so that I wasn’t ready for it. Once I was ready, though, it brought clarity to all of my pas ...more
Kari
Aug 31, 2020 rated it it was amazing
"Gravity" is a stunning collection of poems that explores the ways we lose ourselves in love, and the ways we can find ourselves when a relationship ends. There are several favorites, though I was especially partial to the last stanza of "On Why This Will Still Hurt". The framing of the book takes place in "What I Want From Love"-- giving a definition of what gravity means in this context--a hunger for all-encompassing love in the wake of starvation. The pain and honesty of these words resonates ...more
Hailey
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve never purchased a poetry book before Gravity because I typically don’t like poetry. This collection of poems has made me change my mind. The poems are so relatable to me, and they hit me right in the feels bringing back memories of toxic a toxic relationship. Definitely check this book out even if you don’t like poetry.
Gabrielle Reanne
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written first-person experience of a relationship gone wrong, expressed gorgeously through poetry. Every other poem brings me to tears.
Linda Herrick
May 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
An amazing book. Lynne is an awesome writer.
Renee Delcourt
Oct 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Very angsty yet beautiful poetry collection. The collection kind of works it's way through a heartbreaking relationship. I love how relatable the poetry and how easy it is to read. Some poetry can be confusing and lead you in circles with the same imagery but this collection does have common themes without being redundant. I really think this is a beautifully written collection that many people can not only relate to but appreciate.

I will be getting her other collection and I really encourage ev
Brittany Sullivan
Oct 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Amazing! A must read!
Dan Louisell
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This collection of poems is exactly what I want out of Lynne Schmidt, who I’ve been a fan of for years now. She’s never been afraid to speak her mind and what she stands for is inspiring. She punches you in the gut with her fists of wordplay and makes you face things you may not be brave enough to face without encouragement. I recommend this book of poetry to anyone and everyone.
Brandon Footer
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow having completed this collection I'm just amazed. I really can feel the emotion. The anger, sadness, desperation, longing and loss. A powerful collection to say the least. Definitely worth picking up a copy ...more
Julianna May
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Gravity is an amazing collection of poetry. Lynne has wonderfully put into words the difficulties of loving wholeheartedly. The themes are universal and you will immediately feel yourself pulled into the gravity of this collection.
Maya Williams
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lynne is superb in capturing the intersections of heartbreak and mental health. It is a brave collection in calling the people who harmed us by name and how we decide to heal from their harm. It’s truly a must read. It’s been a long time coming, and it’s great that this work is available to us!
Juliette
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I’ve edited & published this book, so I’ve certainly got a bias!

Full review to come
Nathan Braendle
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring collection of poems. They are also very well written and I feel would be relatable to most people. 10/10 recommend this collection and cannot wait for the next one of her books.
Reid Maxim
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such and awesome book! It’s poetry you can really feel. The cover art is amazing as well! Grab it and put it on display!
Wafa Shaikh
Dec 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I got this book randomly- I'd been wanting to buy a new book and hadn't even read what this book was about. I did not regret buying it. Schmidt writes about the thunderous emotions that come and go when we break up with a person that we still love; or, who we gave so much of ourselves to. It is striking to read, and I absolutely recommend it after a break up, because you'll find a lot to relate to, a lot that will hold you in its space for a while, until you turn the page to another amazing poem ...more
Patrick McDonald
Sep 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful book of poetry full of poems involving love and heartbreak. I can't think of a poem in this book that didn't hit home for me, and I think everyone should read it. ...more
Courtney Haven
Oct 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Lynne is a gifted and powerful poet who digs deep and is not afraid to bare, examine, and name what lives in the depths of the heart and soul. Their writing repeatedly leaves me speechless as their words settle in, put down roots, and bloom to life. I definitely recommend Gravity, and I look forward to anything else that Lynne writes.
Goldie
May 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Everyone should read this, it has amazing poems!
Kendall
Aug 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Raw and bare, this collection documents the range of emotions felt with having and losing love.
DL Rose
Oct 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Schmidt’s books should come with the warning label: ‘this will change you.’

If On Becoming a Model was a grounding experience then Gravity is an otherworldly one.

Being human, you tend to think that things like unrequited love or grief are specific concepts that apply only to your experience, but Schmidt has a way of articulating pain in ways that bring you to earth before shooting you back to the stars. Hold on for the ride.

She doesn't run from the past but confronts it with an enviable honesty
Tucker
Oct 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: idea-list-poems
"We hung our universe above our heads.
This one was me,
This one was you.
We hung glow in the dark stars on your ceiling.
When the last one gave in to gravity..."
- Lynne Schmidt, "The Impermanence of Stars," in Gravity

In this postmortem of a young love affair, Schmidt explores the difference between what she believes she wants ("I want earth shattering," from "What I Want From Love") and the actual habits she's fallen into ("My twenty-four hour day / was contingent on your twelve hour hands," from "
Jessie Tweedie
Oct 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
It’s absolutely mind-boggling that one of my favorite people wrote this amazing chapbook, Gravity! I quickly became engrossed as I was reading through each poem. It’s an interesting experience reading work from a loved one because not only are her poems so universally relatable, but I know the stories behind the lines. While almost everyone has experienced a broken heart, most people do not create beauty from theirs like she does. I could not be more proud of her and of how much she’s accomplish ...more
Allie Rosnato
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very honest, raw collection of poems that breaks your heart in a way very similar to the way the person you’re thinking about while you read this did. Some of my favorites are Striking Pavement, Breathing Patterns, Bullet Holes and Band Aids, and Immortal just to name a few. Gravity speaks to anyone who has felt the weight of loss and ends with a message grounded in self love.
Goodreads Librari...: Please remove editor 2 227 Oct 08, 2019 12:47PM

• This Body is My Own
  • How Will I Sound When My Voice Returns? A Poetry Chapbook
  • We Speak in Storms
  • Nuestro planeta, nuestro futuro
  • To the Land of Long Lost Friends (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency, #20)
  • Scream into my Mouth as a Waterfall
  • Home Work: A Memoir of My Hollywood Years
  • Solar Bones
  • House Arrest (House Arrest, #1)
  • Homie
  • Winter Street (Winter, #1)

News & Interviews