Start by marking “Murder in Montague Falls: Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton & Patrick Thomas” as Want to Read:

WHITE HOT THRILLS! PITCH BLACK DEEDS!

3 TALES OF TEENS TACKLING THEIR DARKEST RITES OF PASSAGE

Acclaimed storytellers Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton, and Patrick Thomas each present an original novella brimming with enough danger, intrigue, and murder to get readers blood pounding and hearts racing.

In Colchamiros RED INK, a paperboy with an overactive imagination
Published October 1st 2019 by Crazy 8 Press

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Montague Falls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Montague Falls

Start your review of Murder in Montague Falls: Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton & Patrick Thomas
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
This book is a collection of three novellas set in a town by the name of, you guessed it right, Montague Falls. Each novella is written by different authors and elements in it, but are connected by the single element of murder.

Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro is the story of a paper boy called Isaac. He discovers that a murder has been committed on his route. When the authorities involved pays no attention to Isaacs input about the case, he decides to take matters into his own hands. But do we really
Iseult Murphy
Jul 18, 2020 rated it liked it
The first story is fun, about a paperboy who may or may not have stumbled upon a murder. Set in the 1980s, theres lots of cool pop culture references. Its impossible not to feel for the main character, 14 year old Issac. Id give it 3/5.
The second story was the standout for me. Great characters with great character arcs, effortless writing, and an exciting climax. This dark story has it all. Set in the 1990s about three teenagers sliding fast along a dark path. 5/5.
The third story has a
Cheryl
Nov 20, 2019 rated it liked it
I liked this collection of short stories. There is definitely a lot of murder and mayhem happening in Montague Falls. Of the three stories my favorite is Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro.

I enjoy a good "spy" story. Isaac is an enjoyable character. I at his age was pretending to be a "spy" as well. Or is Isaac an actual spy. I guess you will just have to pick up a copy of this book to find out the truth. Not that I blame Isaac for spying on his neighbors as some of them are very suspicious.

When it
Jessica Belmont
Nov 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Montague Falls is an anthology with three novellas about a murder in the small town of Montague Falls. Each one takes place in a different time period and are written in the noir style, which I loved! Im not going to review each novella individually because I think they were brilliant and you should just read the anthology.

Each novella features a murder mystery. I love how each was different but paced really well and the Mysteries were compelling. I was absolutely enthralled with the
Shanannigans
Oct 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthology, suspense
This is a collection of three different novellas, and though I am not going to review them individually, I will say that each chilling tale of murder and mayhem brings its own unique flavor to the book! I appreciated each authors style and enjoyed all three stories for different reasons.

This collection is intense, suspenseful, and highly entertaining. I happily recommend Murder in Montague Falls, and can honestly say, this is a fantastic book to curl up with this Halloween!
Jessica Bronder
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a collection of three novellas based in the small town of Montague Falls. The first story is about Issac, a paperboy that has a creative imagination. He discovers a body on a residents floor and when the police dont believe him he investigates on his own.

You then have three teenagers, Derry, Cal and Nat. They practice a satanic ritual to get back on those that bully them and have unexpected results.

And finally we have Jethro and Mrs. Carmine. Jethro is in love with his hot teacher and
Justin
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-reads
You're essentially getting three books for the price of one with this novel. Each novella is the perfect length that I could plow through one each evening before bed.

While the three all share the same setting, they are not connected beyond dealing with murder. We have an espionage thriller, a look at Satanic rituals, and a tale of what happens when "hot for teacher" turns deadly. I'd have to say the final one was my favorite, but all three were engaging and kept my interest from start to
BookDragons
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
These three novellas will have you feeling the spooky season for sure! Each author does an amazing job for writing the stories to stand out while having the setting be the common thread. You will finish this and see Montague Falls as that small town that just can never catch a break!
Julie Porter
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing

The three-part novella series, Murder in Montague Falls, explores the concept of murder in a small town. Three authors, Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton, and Patrick Thomas, capture three generations of secrets, gaphic violence, psychological terror, and murder in the small town of Montague Falls.
The stories are unrelated to each other. Two stories are told from the criminals' perspective and one from an amateur detective's.
No characters make appearances between the three works. One references
Isobel Blackthorn
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
These three slick, dark, well-written novellas, by three different authors, are a nice antidote to any sentimental recollection one might have about the joys of being a teenager.

The first is a story about a troubled boy engrossed in an improbable fantasy world that becomes tangled in the mirror of an equally improbable real world. The second tells a chilling tale of three youngsters throwing themselves into Satanism.  The third draws its violent action from a desperately misplaced and dangerous
Becky
Nov 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three individual stories that take place in a small town, Montague Falls. Murder and mayhem
takes place at different times in history. All involve troubled teenagers that act out in their own ways. Be ready for very dark subject matter. Be ready for surprises. Be ready to be sick. Be ready to be repulsed. Be ready to be angry. Be ready to be entertained!
I voluntarily reviewed a complimentary copy of this book from Hidden Gems.
The P.Turners
Please see blog for [K]'s review:

The Horror Report -Angela
Jul 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Murder in Montague Falls
Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton and Patrick Thomas

This was another book sent to me by Blackthorn Book Tours. I must say, the team over there has a knack for finding entertaining reading material. This book is a collection of novellas, three of them to be exact. We have murder, mystery, money, Satan worship, the classic love triangle, sex, drugsthey have everything in these three novellas.

Lets talk about each novella before I get into the
Claire Davis
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book in exchange for an honest review. I have given Murder in Montague Falls: Noir-Inspired Novellas by Russ Colchamiro, Sawney Hatton and Patrick Thomas four out of five stars ⭐⭐⭐⭐
I was very excited to be a part of this blog tour as this book of novellas has given me all the spooky feels I needed just in time for Halloween!
The first book in the series is called Red Ink, which is about a fourteen year old paperboy called Isaac. Whilst on his paper delivery round, one of his
Shelly
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Take a walk on the darker side with this 3-for-1 noir-themed book. Each novella takes place in Montague Falls, creating a comfort level with the setting as you read from one to the next. RED INK was a great start to the book and really hit home with the intrigue and overactive imagination of a teen boy, Isaac. His investigation into the murder helps him discover the harsher, darker side of what being a spy entails. THE DEVIL's DELINQUENTS takes the book down to a whole new level of noir by ...more
Amy Walker  - Trans-Scribe Reviews
Short story collections are a good way to discover new writers, but sometimes they can be a little hard to enjoy, you find yourself wanting to know more and wishing that the stories would go on for longer. Murder In Montague Falls manages to sidestep this by giving readers three novella's instead of shorter stories, and it works so well because of that. None of the stories in this collection would have worked half as well if they'd have been shorter in length, and use the space given over to ...more
Carly Rheilan
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Three stories, three authors, three moments in time, one town. All about grim deeds and all about teenagers.

This neat formula works well in this tightly written collection. The writing perfectly captures its themes of growing up and coming to understand the world at the edge of the darkest of fantasies and the darkest of realities.

In the first story, a paperboy fantasizes about becoming a spy and assassin, and ends up encountering the real thing. In the second, three youngsters, led (as tends
De Gevallene
Jul 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
From my blog, The Hard Hat Book Site. This review was completed as part of a Blackthorn Book Tour. I was given a copy of the book in exchange for this honest review.

What a gloriously grim collection of adult perspectives on adolescence!

Three great stories. Well written, strongly integrated, entertaining even. They are all, in a sense, coming of age stories although (spoiler alert) not quite all of the youngsters actually make it.

The scenarios are extreme. There is murder, human sacrifice even,
Elle
May 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Murder in Montague Falls is a horror anthology featuring three short stories that take place in the town of Montague Falls. The first story is Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro. It tells the story of Isaac Fuller, a 14 year old neighborhood paperboy who has a vivid imagination. Though he is only a high school student, Isaac fantasizes that he is a spy who is helping President Reagan in the fight against the Soviets. One day, while Isaac is collecting money on his paper route, he witnesses a murder. . . ...more
Anne Carty
Jul 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro - 3 stars

I really enjoyed this novella, we follow Isaac who imagines himself as a spy and ends up in a spot of bother. Isaac is a really interesting character to follow as we see that even though he is only 14 years old he has dealt with so much and hasn't properly dealt with that. Unfortunately due to this he lashes out at the people he cares about.

Dani, Isaac's best friend was a really great character. You can really tell she cares so much about Iaasc and only
S Bodier
Good summer read.
A collection of three noir-inspired novellas, set in the same town, each written by a different author.
Each novella has a different narrative, thats a plus.
Personally, my favourite was the first one: Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro.
You might find that youll prefer one of the other novellas. They are all a good read.
Jeanne Richardson
May 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I received a free copy of this box set via booksprout and Im voluntarily leaving a review. The authors did a great job at writing a good set of short stories.

The story lines caught my attention at the very beginning and kept me interested throughout the entire book.

I loved the characters.
Bethany Martin
Jun 12, 2020 rated it liked it
This collection consists of three novellas and, as the title suggestions, they all concern murder in the (hopefully) fictional town of Montague Falls. I don't have much experience with noir fiction but these novellas were a great introduction to the genre.

Russ Colchamiro's Red Ink is the story of Isaac Fuller, who likes to pretend he's a spy on his paper route. When he encounters what he believes to be a genuine murder, he takes matters into his own hands to gather evidence against the killer.
Kathy
Dec 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
If noir fiction is its own literary genre then I would say this is it. I need to start by saying that short stories or novellas are not my favorite thing. Quite often they dont seem to have as much of a plot but that wasnt true here. All three of these novellas take place in Montague Falls and all three contain some type of story involving teenagers of various ages.

Ill just tell you from my readers perspective that I couldnt put the first story down. It was an interesting plot and although I
Joan
Nov 30, 2019 rated it it was ok
As is frequently the case with a collection from a variety of authors, my appreciation of the stories and the writers' styles varied. I liked the first story about an imaginative teen who saw himself as a secret agent only to get involved with one. The second story was the darkest of the three and not to my taste at all. There was much vulgar language and the aspect of the plot including satanic worship just did not appeal to me at all. The last story was pretty good as it had sort of a moral ...more
Nicole reading_with_nicole
Dec 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
A collection of three novellas, each about different characters and murders that all happen in Montague Falls.
Book One starts with Red Ink by Russ Colchamiro. The story follows Issac a teenage boy with a very imaginary mind; Issac discovers a dead body and when he calls for the police, they do not believe him. Book Two is The Devils Delinquents by Sawney Hatton. We meet Cal, Nat and Derry; three teenagers who want to take revenge on the one that bully them by practicing satanic rituals.
Book
Lorraine
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
A great collection of three novellas, each bringing something unique to the table.

The common denominator in these stories is the setting, the involvement of teens in the mystery, and, of course, murder, but that's where the similarity ends. I'm not going to review them individually, I'll just say, that all three were well thought out and executed, with interesting characters.

Each tale of murder was chilling and entertaining, long enough to capture your interest, but short enough to read with a
Russ Colchamiro
Oct 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Sawney Hatton
Oct 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Kim Lo

• Everyone Is a Moon: Strange Stories
  • The Drop
  • Central City
  • Moonlit Dreams/Moonlit Nightmares
  • Netted: The Beginning (The Silent Red Room Trilogy Book 1)
  • Lake City Way Ninja Girl
  • The Plot Against Heaven
  • Slow Down
  • Stumbling Stoned (The Patchwork Prince Book 1)
  • The Psychic's Memoirs (Terrafide #2)
  • The Whisper Man
  • The Apartment
  • Nightmare Asylum & Other Deadly Delights
  • The Vanishing Stair (Truly Devious, #2)
  • Storm (Black Shadow Security #3)
RUSS COLCHAMIRO is the author of the rollicking space adventure, Crossline, the zany sci-fi backpacking series Finders Keepers, Genius de Milo, and Astropalooza, editor of the sci-fi mystery anthology, Love, Murder & Mayhem, and contributing author for his newest project, Murder in Montague Falls, a noir novella collection, all with Crazy 8 Press.

Russ has contributed to several other

News & Interviews