Start by marking “The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories

Read Book* *Different edition

The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  80,123 ratings  ·  2,389 reviews
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was America's leading feminist intellectual of the early twentieth century. The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories makes available the fullest selection ever printed of her short fiction, featuring the pioneering feminist masterpiece of the title, her stories contemporary with The Yellow Wallpaper, the fiction from her neglected California period ...more
Published November 19th 1998 by Oxford University Press, USA (first published 1892)

To ask other readers questions about The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories, please sign up.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) Check out the author's biography online. She suffered emotional isolation as a child, and had a severe bout of postpartum depression/psychosis at a…moreCheck out the author's biography online. She suffered emotional isolation as a child, and had a severe bout of postpartum depression/psychosis at a time when it was all chalked up to "feminine hysteria". She was lucky she wasn't put away somewhere! The unnamed main character in this story is obviously Gilman's way of working through this traumatic time in her own life, as well as reflecting on society of the time. (Given various celebrity pronouncements of recent years about postpartum depression being a "myth", things haven't changed much in some spheres.)(less)
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all) As a woman, writing in 1892, and writing stories like the title story--it's amazing she ever got published at all, particularly in the straitlaced US…moreAs a woman, writing in 1892, and writing stories like the title story--it's amazing she ever got published at all, particularly in the straitlaced US of the time!(less)

·  80,123 ratings  ·  2,389 reviews

Start your review of The Yellow Wall-Paper and Other Stories
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Here follows the diary of a moronic Victorian husband.

>Three days before treatment:

I’ve got a great idea. My wife is suffering from low mood. So I, being an extremely practical Victorian man, have decided that the best solution for the problem is to restrain her in the house. This is clearly a brilliant idea. Our marriage simply doesn’t restrain her faculties enough.

It makes sense you see. I got the idea from the prestigious Dr. Silas Mitchell. He describing what he calls his "rest cure"
JV (semi-hiatus)
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a remarkable woman and utopian feminist ahead of her time. Powerful, thought-provoking, and profoundly illuminating, Gilman developed seven short feminist narratives that seek to empower women and minorities oppressed by our patriarchal society. Highly polemical, gripping, and infused with relevant themes, she deconstructs the ideological subversion of both genders against the status quo, promotes civil rights and economic independence, and confronts the notion of ...more
Shovelmonkey1
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want a brief taste of madness
Recommended to Shovelmonkey1 by: 1001 books list and danielle23
Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! Yup, that was me enjoying the spiralling descent into madness.

Ok all jokes aside, mental health is a serious issue and something which is more fragile than we realise - do not take it for granted people. We are lucky enough to live in a time when people recognise and understand depression and constructive, helpful treatments can be offered. Unfortunately for Charlotte Perkins Gilman, she inhabited the tail end of the
Beverly
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
So, so good, the belittling and infantilizing treatment of this poor woman, and her entrapment in the room with the yellow wallpaper by her physician husband is a case history in how to drive someone completely insane.
BrokenTune
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
"This wallpaper has a kind of subpattern in a different shade, a particularly irritating one, for you can only see it in certain lights, and not clearly then. But in the places where it isn’t faded and where the sun is just so—I can see a strange, provoking, formless sort of figure, that seems to skulk about behind that silly and conspicuous front design."

Classic horror in small doses provided by an author I had not heard about but who is now someone I will seek out for other stories.

Charlotte Perkins Gilman

The
J.G. Keely
Roland Barthes talked about 'writerly' and 'readerly' books. I've struggled for a long time, myself, in trying to come up for terms to talk about the differences between deliberate works and those which are too bumbling, too one-sided, or too ill-informed to make the reader think.

While The Yellow Wallpaper brings up interesting points, it does not really deal with them. The text has become part of the canon not for the ability of the author, which is on the more stimulating end of middling, but
Apatt
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“I never saw a worse paper in my life. One of those sprawling flamboyant patterns committing every artistic sin. It is dull enough to confuse the eye in following, pronounced enough to constantly irritate and provoke study, and when you follow the lame uncertain curves for a little distance they suddenly commit suicide--plunge off at outrageous angles, destroy themselves in unheard of contradictions.”

Oh my gawd! This story creeped me out! I have never heard of The Yellow Wallpaper until I saw
Katherine Elizabeth
Reread in October 2018

As always, amazing writing and stories that make you think. Gotta love Gilman, not only for her talent of writing, but her courage to write such feminist pieces during the 18th century.
_____________________________________________

5 STARS

I only had to read The Yellow Wallpaper for class, however, as soon as I read that short-story, I knew I would have to read her other stories. Gilman's writing is flawless. I honestly think Charlotte Perkins Gilman is my new favorite
leynes
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
MY SKIN IS CLEAR.
MY CROPS ARE WATERED.
MY BILLS ARE PAID.

These moments are rare but reading Charlotte's short stories actually restored my faith in humanity. I'm still shook. I haven't read much feminist literature but I can already tell that I have been missing out. Hot damn. This woman gets it. I can't wrap my head around the fact that she was born in 1860 and managed to write these three little gems which are still so relevant up to this day.

The first story The Yellow Wall-Paper explores the
Stacey (prettybooks)
This post is part of the 2015 Classics Challenge.

WHEN I Discovered This Classic
I discovered it while browsing Penguin's Little Black Classics. I've always been interested in mental illness and discussions about mental illness – including taking two 'Madness and Society' courses at university – and so it seemed like a great one to try out. I bought it alongside The Old Nurse's Story .

WHY I Chose to Read It
I wanted to read an 'old' classic in April and because I've been quite a slow reader this
Dannii Elle
First read: 2014, Rating: 5 stars
Second read: August 2016, Rating: 5 stars

This is one of my all time favourite stories, and rereading it served to remind me why!

The haunting and chilling tale is told so profoundly, evocatively and beautifully in such a short number of words and every time I read this, I am transported into the tale: I become the haunted and unnamed female protagonist and the unsettling effect of the novels permeates into my own reality. Her demise into madness becomes my own.

Ron
Nov 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5 stars for The Yellow Wallpaper - Excellent short story. After looking into Gilman’s traumatic inspiration for writing it, I was wowed.

4 stars for the other stories included in this small book - all were good.
David Schaafsma
The Yellow Wallpaper, first published in 1992, is now a staple of middle and high school English classes and college (Gender and )Women’s Studies programs, linked to Kate Chopin’s The Awakening, Ibsen’s The Doll House and similar texts reflecting on the damage patriarchy does to society, especially to women. Gilman wrote a lot of fiction, and also Women and Economics, was a friend of feminist and social reformer Jane Addams, and was increasingly a feminist critic of society.

Gilman also
jv poore
Dec 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories, own-it
I read The Yellow Wallpaper in my 8th grade Literature class and I was a bit blown away. Parts of this short story have stuck with me since. So, when I spotted this tiny tome for only fifty cents, I had to have it.

The title story was every bit as eerie-creepy-quirky as I remember, but I had missed the stunningly superb writing. I'm so pleased that I revisited this! I thoroughly enjoyed the following stories as well.
Diane
Jun 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The Yellow Wallpaper" is a powerful short story about a woman going mad, in part because she's not allowed to do anything. Gilman did a beautiful job showing how frustrating it was when the woman's concerns weren't taken seriously, both by her husband and by others. The story is written as an argument against restricting women from activities — commanding them to "rest" isn't always restful; it's maddening.

I first read this story in high school, but I'm quite certain I didn't really understand
Paquita Maria Sanchez
*PREFACE TO REVIEW: I have a soft spot for literature about descents into madness. I blame it on my mother taking me to see Lost Highway in the theater at a young and tender age. I also blame this film, to a larger extent, on my fashion sense from then to now. Which is to say, I blame my mom. Who is, in fact, more sane than most.*

Ah, suicide authors! You do know madness so!!! There have been a few times where I have personally thought that I was going off my rocker, but considering that I've yet
Celia
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories

Charlotte Perkins Gilman was a prominent American feminist, sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and nonfiction, and a lecturer for social reform.

In her lifetime, she wrote over 200 short stories. 7 of them are included here.

The Yellow Wallpaper. I could have never imagined that a story describing wallpaper could be so engrossing. The descriptions, however, depict a woman going deeper and deeper into madness. And how the misdiagnosis of
Sarah Churchill
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
I'd heard the name of this story thrown around a few times in the context of scary classics, so when I saw the LBC version I picked it up.

I'm not sure I'd call it a horror story, more a horrifying story for feminists; the rapid downward spiral of an intelligent woman literally oppressed into madness. It's so very creepy, and a fantastic story both of its time and before its time.
Mario
Oct 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
Now why should that man have fainted? But he did,and right across my path by the wall, so that I had to creep over him every time!

Surprisingly, I ended up liking this story so much more than I thought I would. I had to read it for uni, and I always feel iffy about those reads, and I usually don't enjoy them as much I enjoy reading books I pick up myself. But this one was a huge surprise.

This is a story about an unreliable narrator, and throughout the story we see how she slowly descending into
David
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women trapped with Lovecraftian wallpaper, little boys dreaming of butter
Charlotte Perkins Gilman was famous as a 19th century feminist author, and apparently she's taught in a lot of feminist/women's studies courses. I was vaguely interested in her most famous story, The Yellow Wallpaper, so when this collection was an Audible deal of the day, I went ahead and downloaded it.

I'm glad I did. I'll get to the title story in a minute, but I found the other short stories - which were all about a woman being presented with a choice (usually in the form of a man) very
Darwin8u
"John does not know how much I really suffer. He knows there is no reason to suffer, and that satisfies him."
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman, "The Yellow Wall-Paper"

description

Vol N 42 of my Penguin Little Black Classics Box Set. This book contains three of Charlotte Perkins Gilman's short stories.

Included were:

1. "The Yellow Wall-Paper" -
2. "The Rocking-Chair" -
3. "Old Water" -

"The Yellow Wall-Paper" is one of those stories I've been familiar with for decades, but never read. It is one of the reasons I
Gloria Mundi
This is a short story about a woman's descent into madness and I have just the t-shirt slogan for the protagonist:

EXCUSE ME. I HAVE TO GO AND MAKE A SCENE.

Because that's what I wanted her to do throughout, but we cannot really expect that from a genteel 19th century lady and that is when the story was written. So does that mean that it is now outdated and irrelevant to us emancipated 21st century women?

Personally, I have gone through a period in my life when I took some pretty heavy drugs,
Kirstine
This contains 'The Yellow Wall-Paper', 'The Rocking Chair' and 'Old Water'.

'The Yellow Wall-Paper' is well known and a classic piece of feminist writing. It had been on my to-read list for ages, so that's partly why I got this LBC. It didn't disappoint me either, although it's very obvious what it's trying to do and what the theme of it is. I just loved it, I loved the slow spiraling into madness, I loved the eerie tone, I loved the claustrophobic feel. I loved the barely concealed rage and
Olivier Delaye
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This well-written story about a depressed and possibly deranged woman who is convinced that the wallpaper of her bedroom is haunted/possessed/inhabited reminded me of China Mieville’s Details, which appears in his short story collection Looking for Jake. In both, the devil is indeed in the details…

OLIVIER DELAYE
Author of the SEBASTEN OF ATLANTIS series
The Forgotten Goddess (Sebasten of Atlantis, #1) by Olivier Delaye
Zaki
Feb 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sad tale about a woman who stares at her yellow wallpaper and gets so irritated and frustrated, that after a while she rips it off the wall.
Vanessa
Mar 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was great to come back to this short story, which I last read in high school. So clever and sinister, and brings up a variety of topics such as feminism, manipulation and mental illness. I also thoroughly enjoyed the other two stories in this book - both were surprisingly dark and morbid, two things I love! I'll definitely have to pick up a full collection of Gilman's stories.
Mary
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I read this short story a few months ago on someone's recommendation when I said that the tile design at a hotel was driving me insane.

In retrospect, the tile was fine.
Joey Woolfardis
The Yellow Wall-Paper: Curious, curious, curious. Some kind of Post-Natal Depression with 18th Century cures. Touches at the very heart of what depression feels like with its wall-paper detestation that turns almost in to adoration. Not entirely sure how I feel about it, or what it was I just read.

The Rocking-Chair: Another curious one, this time a ghost story from a male perspective. Intriguing like a Poe but not at all fright-inducing, more just a bit odd. Never been a fan of hauntings and
Aubrey
I'm giving this particular edition four stars because the selections it chose to include from Gilman's bibliography saved me a lot of time and questioning whether I should read her other works. The issue with her is common to many -ists and -ologists and general term for thinkers of that time period (which hasn't yet ended judging by the state of things today) who confuse rationality with shock value when it comes to any other reality outside of their own. As such, worded solipsism is taken as ...more
Lorraine
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this collection of stories. My favorite was ‘Martha’s Mother’. I read it twice in a row with a mighty laugh at the end. Most made me SO HAPPY and grateful that I, as a woman, didn’t live in these earlier times. ‘The Wisteria Vine’ is one story I’d like to read around a camp fire or darkened fireplace on Halloween night. I love the author’s writing style. In most cases she brings you along slowly, building each story, then hits it out of the park sometimes abruptly at the end. ...more
Designer Wallpaper 1 1 Aug 29, 2019 11:48PM
Reading 1001: The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman 5 22 Jan 18, 2019 05:04PM
Max House Painting, LLC 1 1 Jul 23, 2018 07:57AM
Old Books, New Re...: August 2012 - The Yellow Wallpaper 24 97 Dec 16, 2017 01:47PM
The Gothic Novel ...: The Yellow Wallpaper 54 17 Jul 10, 2017 05:09PM

• A Rose for Emily and Other Stories
  • The Robber Bridegroom
  • The Bloody Chamber and Other Stories
  • The Cask of Amontillado
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, also known as Charlotte Perkins Stetson, was a prominent American sociologist, novelist, writer of short stories, poetry, and nonfiction, and a lecturer for social reform. She was a utopian feminist during a time when her accomplishments were exceptional for women, and she served as a role model for future generations of feminists because of her unorthodox concepts and ...more
“It is the same woman, I know, for she is always creeping, and most women do not creep by daylight.” 855 likes
“There are things in that paper that nobody knows but me, or ever will.” 61 likes