Start by marking “Black 13 (Scott Pearce, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black 13 (Scott Pearce, #1)

Black 13

(Scott Pearce #1)

Black 13 is the brilliant first novel in the Scott Pearce series from Adam Hamdy. In this addictive and fast-paced thriller, ex-MI6 officer Pearce is about to show us that in a world where there is no loyalty to the nation state, it's time to burn the espionage rule book.

An exiled agent. A growing threat. A clandestine war.

The world is changing beyond recognition.
Radical
Published January 23rd 2020 by Macmillan

To ask other readers questions about Black 13, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black 13

Start your review of Black 13 (Scott Pearce, #1)
Maureen
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
*4.5 STARS *

Scott Pearce is reminiscent of your all action, comic book super hero, and oh boy, it makes for a truly gripping, action packed start to this new series!

Ex MI6 agent Pearce, took the blame for an operation that went wrong in Islamabad, an operation that led to his dismissal. We meet him working on his own undercover, trying to discover what went wrong and why. His cover is blown when lawyer Melody Gold travels half way round the world at the request of a client, inviting Pearce to
Paromjit
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Adam Hamdy writes a riveting fast paced thriller that really grew on me the more I read, featuring ex-military, ex-spook, mixed race Scott Pearce, a terrific all action central protagonist. Hamdy focuses on how our contemporary world has changed, the power of social media and how it can be manipulated by unseen forces seeking to sow the seeds of national division, strife and conflict with the goal of ensuring specific political outcomes. This underpins this thriller which begins with the murder ...more
The Cats’ Mother
Update 09 Feb: can anyone tell me why Amazon wouldve refused to publish this review? Im a bit gobsmacked - no swearing, nothing promotional, nothing defamatory... I dont see any point resubmitting it until I know what Ive done wrong!! 😫

This will be my 200th review for NetGalley, so I'm glad it can be an unreservedly positive one! The first in a series about disgraced former MI6 agent Scott Pearce, this was a fast-paced exciting action/spy thriller introducing a hero who resembles a British Mitch
Susan
Feb 11, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an exciting, fast paced and modern thriller. P I Nathan Foster is hired by a law firm to investigate a private bank, on behalf of a wealthy client. When he is killed, lawyer Melody Gold is sent to find ex-M16 agent, Scott Pearce. Pearce once knew Foster and, with Gold revealing the cover he has worked so hard to maintain, he returns to the UK with her, to help investigate.

From the first page, the reader is thrown right into the action. However, Pearce is a man who is well aware of what
Kate
Absolutely excellent. Scott Pearce and Leila Nahum are a formidable team and one that I'm looking forward to following in many more books to come. Leila, in particular, is extraordinary. Adam Hamdy certainly knows how to tell a good story and this thriller is tense, action-packed, disturbing and at times shocking. Fabulous! Review to follow shortly on For Winter Nights.
Bookoholic.me
Nov 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Black 13 is a first novel in the Scott Pearce series. An ex-M16 agent gets involved in dangerous game which he must play whether he likes it or not.

Our world is full of manipulation, extreme movements and far-left/far-right political parties are getting into power. The hate spreads easily. During the research of the book, the author did a small social media experiment by himself and the results were terrifying. The author's note at the end of the book is probably the best and the most important
Melisende
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: espionage, thriller
Pre-review:
I haven't even finished this - and HOLY CRAP ... what a roller-coaster ride this is already! One of the best action thrillers I have read in a long while and I'm only half way through!

Well, now I have finished it, and what can I say but what a read! My thoughts above, when only halfway through, are still applicable. The characters, the story, the descriptiveness, the action sequences (and there are plenty of those) - I felt every heartbeat, sat there breathless, winced at every punch.
Bodo Pfündl
Mar 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The perfect tale of espionage for our troubled times

Adam Hamdy has created something truly unique with BLACK 13 - A story about asymmetric warfare, fanatism and the evolution of evil and espionage alike.

Scott Pearce makes for a compelling protagonist, differing from the stereotypical PTSD heroes, who have to claw their way back to humanity. He rather is a driven man with a mission, who finds himself unable to quit. I also enjoyed how the author shrouded parts of his past in mystery and didnt
Jackie Law
Jan 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
Black 13, by Adam Hamdy, is the first in a proposed new series from the author of the high octane Pendulum trilogy. It introduces the reader to Scott Pearce, a former operative with MI6 who was driven out of the service when he refused to stand down after an horrific engagement in Islamabad. He believes the perpetrators are still at large and seeks some form of retribution. Scott is a formidable individual whose skills, strengths and lack of personal ties allow him to make clear decisions that ...more
Kath
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am going to ignore the fact that Scott Pearce spends the majority of this book channelling Captain Scarlet insofar as he is pretty much indestructible whatever situation he finds himself in. Not a spoiler, this is the start of a series so we pretty much know from the off that he probably won't die!
We first meet him when he is in action investigating on his own when he is interrupted in this by someone who wants, no needs, his help. This marks the first "fleeing for his life" action sequence
Ryan Hillis
Feb 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
This was more of banking thriller.
Jem
Jan 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to @macmillanaus for sending me a copy for review. I absolutely loved this book! I really enjoy a good crime thriller and this was definitely one. It reminded my of the Jason Bourne movies and I loved it. I was hooked from the start and I was up late finishing it off, once you get to part 2 there is no putting it down. It was fast paced from the start and lots of action happening, but not too much that you get overwhelmed. The world of spies was explained well and I didn't feel as if I ...more
Susan Hampson
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley
What a cracking read this is! The prologue sets the scene and pace and the intensity never goes away throughout the book. The death of Nathan Foster by two thugs that I cannot imagine were ever human was quite sickening but then you realise that he had been a man that had been trained as an MI6 agent and who had served in some of the worst fighting campaigns, then you shudder.
When Scott Perces 2-year uncover alias as a climbing guide is broken by Melody Gold, a lawyer, things do go south rather
Jude Wright
Jan 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Having read Adam Hamdys Pendulum Trilogy which I rated highly, i wondered how he could better those books.
I neednt have worried!
Black 13 is an intelligent and highly addictive read, delving into current affairs and politics, with our new hero Scott Pearce. Masterful writing means you are always on the edge of your seat and actually feel like youre on the ride with the characters in the underbelly of Society and the world of spies and espionage! Each character has a good background story, and
Mike Sumner
So many five star reviews for Black 13, but for me I felt like I was on the outside looking in. I could not get totally immersed in the plot built around a world of extremism, radicalisation and extreme violence. The survival of the protagonist Scott Pierce was at times hard to swallow, given what occurred. A lengthy read with plenty of action, at times confusing. Other reviewers clearly enjoyed Black 13 more than me...
James
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As someone who has an enduring fascination with the far-right, Adam Hamdys Black 13 was a novel that I was looking forward to reading.

I must stress at this point, that my fascination with the far-right doesnt translate into approval or support, quite the reverse. But as a former current affairs television journalist I was always interested in how people bought into their poisonous ideology. I worked on many a programme that looked at the far-right and spent many an hour studying them. But the
Luisa
Mar 27, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: beauty-and-lace
Black 13

Wow! I judged this book by its front cover - I didnt even read the synopsis, and I wasnt let down. The cover was true in its luring me into an exquisite piece of literature.

Adam Hamdy has produced a masterpiece that was addictive from Page 1 of the Prologue. I read this book in record time; faster than any other.

The story of Pearce and his colleagues is well written, and the action described in perfect detail so I could literally see every corner of each scene. The content is confronting
Colleen Winter
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those rare books that actually delivers on everything that it says on the blurbs on the cover. This is a unique, contemporary thriller that deals with issues that are happening in our world today and brings new rules to the espionage rule book. Fast paced and compelling, I loved the intelligence Adam Hamdy brought to the topic and to the events of the book as they unfold. A great read and one that I have thought of many times since finishing it. Highly recommend it.
Lizz
Feb 25, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-reads

Scott Pearce is a former member of MI6, a secret intelligence service based in the United Kingdom, who is trying to live a somewhat secluded life after he blames himself for a mission gone wrong.
His secluded peaceful life comes to an end when he is approached by Melody, who was sent by her boss to search for him, after his friend and fellow comrade Nathan Foster, was killed.
After Melody finds Pearce and asks for his help, the story takes a drastic turn of being hunted by a crew called Black 13.
Claire at Wine Ladies Books and Reviews
Excellent,  Face Paced Thriller.

Black13 starts straight away in a shroud of mystery. It just gets better when you meet main character Scott Pearce.

This has been listed the first of Pearce novels and I can't wait for the others. Especially if anything like this one.

Scott is an ex-MI6 operative who since leaving under a dark cloud has been working on his own thing.

He is tracked down by lawyer Melody who is working for a mysterious anonymous client. But she's now in danger and Scott must try and
Karen Cole
Jan 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It's been several hours since I finished Black 13 and I still feel as if I've been through the wringer - what a book this is! As the first novel in The Scott Pearce series, it's not a spoiler to say Scott somehow makes it through even the most dire of circumstances but he - and my nerves - were tested to the limit in an exhilarating thriller which never lets up from the word go.
The shocking events in the prologue means it is immediately obvious that there are deadly forces at play here and even
Rob
Feb 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
This book is packed with: stereotypes like the damsel in distress and the superhero who is like a Boy Scout; ridiculous chase scenes, and very simple dialogue that could be understood by a 6th grader. Melodrama would be the best way to describe this simple narrative. Predictable and contrived.
Caveat emptor
Geoffrey
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Has the potential to be another good thriller series. Looking forward to the next book.
LimeCream
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it
A fast paced thrilled that kept me gripped until the last page. I enjoyed this.

Thank you to NetGalley and to t he publisher for allowing me to read this in exchange for an honest review.
Naomi (aplace_inthesun)
Jan 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Black 13 is a fast paced espionage thriller. To give an idea I was half-way through after two days and did not want to put it down. My previous complaints with espionage novels have tended to be in the complicated descriptions of factions that don't provide the reader sufficient history or backstory on who is who in the conflict and what the underlying issues are. No such complaints here as Adam Hamdy lays the platform for Black 13 brilliantly.

As loose comparisons, Scott Pearce is like Jack
Jacqueline  sharp
Feb 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an action packed read introducing Scott Pearce, a modern up to date spy thriller. Mr Bond step a side there is a new kid on the block. Whats roller coaster ride this book is. Fantastic. Adam Hamdy has moved the genre into 2020. Right from the prologue until the end of this novel the pace is fast and intense. If you are into intrigue and spy thrillers then this is a book I recommend you buy and read.

Scotts 2 years undercover alias as a climbing instructor is blown, Scott has to run for
Brett
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Rubbish. Scott Pearce is pitched as a maverick ex Mi6 operatives who, breaks all the rules. How does he do this, by faking the death of the heroine in a prisoner exchange. How many times have you seen that? The eponymous evil team hes up against couldnt run a bath. Their dastardly scheme is to blow up a school full of kiddies. Though that isnt revealed until right before that action takes place. Thats it. Thats their whole devilish plan..... The henchmen are all a bit shit except for Hector, the ...more
Andy Wormald
Jan 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Opening with the brutal murder of PI Nathan Foster a man hired by a law firm to look into Bayard Madison a private bank run by an unscrupulous Viscount with connections to the Ukrainians

Lawyer Melody Gold is sent to Thailand to hire Scott Pearce to take over the case hoping that his friendship with ex colleague Foster will convince him to help, this is only the beginnings of the troubles for both in what will become a battle for survival.

Back in the UK Pearce enlists the help of ex military
Hazel
Feb 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
My thanks to NetGalley and publisher Pan Macmillan for the ARC.
I really enjoyed this book - it really is an explosive start to what will be a new series. It's intriguing, complex and action-packed. Thoroughly absorbing.

Scott Pearce, living under an assumed identity in Thailand, is Ex-Special Forces and Ex-MI6. Once hailed a hero, now disowned, he's quietly following a smuggling trail which has taken him from the Middle East, to India and Bankok. He's an invisible climbing guide until Melody
Patti
I've been an Adam Hamdy fan since he published his very first book. And this...this is a near perfect book. I really enjoyed the whole thing, from cover to cover. My only complaints are that I wanted to write something similar and now can't because I will never beat this and that I now have to wait forever for book 2.

• The Last Day
  • The Memory Wood
  • Deep State
  • Hitler's Secret (Tom Wilde #4)
  • The Guest List
  • Bury Them Deep: Inspector McLean 10 (The Inspector McLean Series)
  • Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5)
  • Where the Innocent Die
  • Death in Saint-Chartier
  • The Enemy (Jack Reacher, #8)
  • The Murder House (DCI Matilda Darke, #5)
  • A Dark Matter
  • The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)
  • Imaginary Friend
  • Queenie
  • One Day
  • Thirteen (Eddie Flynn, #4)
  • We Need to Talk About Kevin
Adam Hamdy is the author of the forthcoming Pendulum trilogy, which will be published by Headline in November 2016. New York Times bestselling author, James Patterson, said: I read Pendulum in one gloriously suspenseful weekend. Definitely one of the best thrillers of the year.

As a screenwriter, Adam has worked with studios and production companies on both sides of the Atlantic, and is currently

News & Interviews