Start by marking “In the Dark, Soft Earth” as Want to Read:
In the Dark, Soft Earth

In the Dark, Soft Earth

Dig into this delectable journey through the dark, sensual, and ravishing poetry of Frank Watson. Ruminate the searing to the sultry as you absorb this haunting lilt of burning carnality. The poems ignite rapid and surprising shifts in focus and perspective as they twist and turn your preconceptions, allowing the implications to linger in your thoughts.

Vignette verses expl
Published July 7th 2020 by Plum White Press

To ask other readers questions about In the Dark, Soft Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Dark, Soft Earth

Start your review of In the Dark, Soft Earth
Brittany Lee | Healing Happy
Where spirit and nature merge as one, its scent... sensual, dark and soft.

I really enjoyed the length of this poetry collection. 8 books are shared, taking me a little over an hour to read. Most poetry collections I've come across feel unfinished or are very short with not much body, this has a FULL FIGURE and even includes colored paintings by famous artists, that the author drew inspiration from— giving credit where credit is due.

I'm picky with my poetry. I liked the nature and spirituality po
ash | novelly rooted
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Thank you NetGalley, Plum White Press, and Frank Watson for providing a copy for review.

Poetry opens up the doors of perspective into someone's interpretation of the world. It's another way of experiencing language and writing. I consider myself a novice of poetry and yet I quickly found myself becoming enthralled. What I love about poetry is how each individual can find their own meaning and personal interpretation.

IN THE DARK, SOFT EARTH -- the cover and title initially captured my attention.
Emma Helvete
May 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
First of all, I appreciate the publisher provided me a copy of this lovely collection of poems.

The poems are very gentle and beauteous, along with stunning illustrations. However, just the beautiful words to form poetry is not enough, what truly attracted me is the poems get darker the further you read. I appreciate author's perspective on death and afterlife, along with the occult elements which is very rare to see in modern poetries.
Lu
Jul 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated. A sensual and entrancing poetry book .

It had been ages since I read poetry, and I had forgotten how powerful poems can be.

What I like most about poetry is that each person reads the verses differently. Our emotions and experiences play a role in how we interpret the words.

In the Dark, Soft Earth is divided into ten books, each of them with a different theme but somehow interconnected.

Some beautiful paintings illustrate the poems or serve as a source of inspiration. In
Hirdesh
Apr 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, netgalley
Thanks for Netgalley & respective publishers for sending me a copy.

Intriguing ! !
Wonderful verse of Metaphor and Hyperbole ! !

This book Poetry has some deep and thoughtful poems, but what happened that Rhythm wasn't captivating which would hold the reader. I think I felt that might be because I've read very ancient poems in my life.
Recommended for poetry readers, as this would astonished you with personification in those simple words.

Bibliophile Rose
Aug 25, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf, poetry
I was given a copy of this collection in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, when I received this collection I was so excited to read it. I was in a mood of reading poetry. And what intrigued me more was the title.
But when I started reading it. I couldn't connect with its word. The words were so beautiful yet meaningless. The lines were hollow and empty of feelings. I didn't feel anything while reading it. So, I DNF it.
Poptart19 (ren)
Jan 28, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry

[I received an ARC copy for free, & this is my honest review]

[What I liked:]

•I especially enjoyed Books 7, 8, & 10. I loved Book 8, “An Entrance to the Tarot Garden”—the language rich & evocative, the ideas resonant.

•I liked the longer poems, especially the ones about relationships: love, grief, desire.

•I like free form verse, & the majority of poems in this collection are. I appreciate the rhythms of Watson’s internal rhymes & line break choices.

•I really like the inclusion of art thr
Katherine
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, arc-drc
These verses are lush and bewitching.
Many thanks to NetGalley for providing this ARC.
Saylor
May 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry, edelweiss
In the Dark, Soft Earth starts strong, the first book in this poetry collection is absolutely captivating. My favorite section in this book thematically, as it uses nature to create beautiful imagery. Watson is able to use nature to his advantage when it comes to painting a picture in your mind. Book two and three introduce the "she" that is in Watson's thoughts. She feels like someone slipping through fingers, a mystery, wearing a mask for everyone to see. The poetry collection is written mostl ...more
Christine Irvin
Jun 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Poet Frank Watson, author of several poetry books, brings readers a series of short poems that deal with love, nature, spirituality, and other topics. Each poem is a page long or less. Many are quite short.

My favorite is entitled MIRROR:

A doll stares out
the store window
at the little girl
of her dreams

The poem invokes the image of a supposedly inanimate doll sitting in a store window, staring at the girl of her dreams, rather than a little girl staring through the store window at the doll of her
Cass™
Apr 23, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2020
1.5 out of 5

The main aspect that attracted me to pick this up was the little sub-title that read: “Poetry of Love, Nature, Spirituality, Dreams,” so I figured I would be getting into some romanticism-inspired poetry. But I was wrong. None of the poems filled me with wonder or awe. Each one felt like a random cluster of pretty words trying to create some sort of meaning. The formatting isn’t personally my taste and the lack of punctuation mark made it even more confusing. I had to actively sound
Kenzie
May 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is PHENOMENAL! The poety is amazing! I love the way I could leave reality and fall into this book.
Rosemary Nissen-Wade
This is intriguing poetry, usually sparse and often reminiscent of Chinese and Japanese forms, but also full of a lyricism that can bring to mind the Romantics, and at times the old English/Scottish ballads.

The poems are almost entirely metaphorical. This is as close as he gets to something that could be taken literally:

reflection

she gazed at me
unable to speak
of her nightmare

I gazed back
unable to speak
as I woke from mine

Usually they are much more mysterious and dream-like – yet they are so
Ebubechukwu Oguaju-Dike
Jun 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
Pam's Shenanigans
Thank you, Plum White Press, for the advance reader's copy. This, in any way, does not affect my review of the book.

In the Dark, Soft Earth is as refreshing of a read as it is seductive and enchanting. It is a compilation of poems exploring the beauty of nature, art, love, and self-reflection. Frank Watson manages to passionately paint a picture without overdoing it.

What I like about it is the incorporation of real paintings and even tarot cards as inspiration for his poems. I found that most
Kathy
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The poems flow nicely and periodically there is artwork. Nice collection.
Elizabeth Gauffreau
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Frank Watson’s third poetry collection, In the Dark, Soft Earth, is a poetry without buildings. It takes us out of our built environments to see the earth as earth--independent of human inhabitants--before exploring our relationship with the earth: at times harmonious, at times uneasy, at times conflicted. Some of the poems are contemplative, suggesting larger questions of human existence, while other poems, particularly the dream poems, are purely experiential. We are meant to drift into them a ...more
Danielle Luet
Apr 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Not a lot of poetry speaks to me, but the passages in Frank Watson’s “In the Dark, Soft Earth,” were so ethereal, it was hard not to get lost in the imagery he was so creatively portraying. As a tarot reader, the tarot specific chapter actually helped me in understanding some of the cards better that I had trouble with.

I’d you are a poetry lover and a mystic, do yourself a favour and add this book to your collection.
Wulfwyn
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book of poetry. I love poems that give me feels and ones that fire my imagination. I found both types in this book. My favorites were the chapters titled Omens and An Entrance to the Tarot Garden. The poems in Omens included a few about death that gave me chills and sang to my heart. In the Tarot Garden the Tarot deck used was one I am very familiar. This really resonated with me as I would often meditate on a card from this deck. The author did include artwork which enhanced the ...more
Glen
May 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: firstreads, poetry
I won this book in a goodreads drawing.

A good collection of poetry, much of it based on art. I enjoyed the parts inspired by Salvador Dali and the Tarot the best.
Leah
I had the pleasure of receiving an Advanced Reader's Copy (ARC) of In the Dark, Soft Earth by poet Frank Watson. Thank you for the opportunity Plum White Press LLC.

Frank Watson is an American Poet who was born in California and now resides in New York. He is the author of four anthologies of poetry, the most recent being In the Dark, Soft Earth: Poetry of Love, Nature, Spirituality, and Dreams. Watson has also edited and contributed to several other anthologies including Poetry Nook.

Right from t
Rohase Piercy
May 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This latest collection of 'micro poetry' from Frank Watson is divided into ten sections of uneven length, each clustered around a theme – which may be as general as 'Time And Space', as specific as 'An Entrance To The Tarot Garden' (which takes us through the twenty-two cards of the Major Arcana), or as idiosyncratic as 'Percussion Mind', which explores the poet's love of Jazz.

When interviewed about his preference for short, image-focussed verses, Watson explained that whilst working on translat
Jonna Feliz
Jul 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley, poetry
Divided into ten equally gorgeous sections (or books, as it is referred to in this collection), Frank Watson takes us into a soulful journey with this collection of poems.

"in my dreams / I build a castle / where the shadows dance" - excerpt from "moonlit ecstasy," In The Dark, Soft Earth by Frank Watson

As someone who values the importance of knowing the self, I was sold from the beginning of Book One: Within the Weeping Woods. Watson created for us a journey that starts with one waking up and ta
Carlos Silva
Apr 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favs, net-galley
Poetry has always been a genre that I admire from afar. I write a few poems every now and then, and lyrics are my favorite thing about music, but other than that, I don’t read many poems. I saw In the dark, soft earth on NetGalley and it caught my eye because of its concept regarding nature. I was not disappointed.

Frank Watson’s works are very fluid – this is a very quick read that makes sense in its entirety and delivers beautiful mental images. The author is very good at painting pictures wit
Kaye
Aug 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
I was given a copy of this collection in exchange for an honest review.

I think there's a fine line between minimalism and not saying anything at all. This collection is set up with famous artwork and then poems responding to the artwork so it reads like responses to prompts you'd see in a college poetry class. While the poetry for the most part isn't bad, the poems just don't say much on their own. I liked the second section about time and space as well as the seventh called Omens, and had the p
Finley
May 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways, poetry
Frank Watson's In the Dark, Soft Earth is a beautiful collection of poetry in a variety of subjects and accompanied by beautiful artwork. I enjoyed reading it immensely, and could barely put it down unless I absolutely had to. I especially enjoyed the section based on the Major Arcana of a tarot deck, in which Watson provided an image of each of the card from one of two very classic, beautiful decks, then wrote a piece based on that card. I collect unique Tarot decks, and even enjoy dabbling in ...more
Katerina Canyon
Apr 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
There is a lot that could be said about Frank Watson's In the Dark, Soft Earth. It has amazing ekphrastic poetry. The artwork Watson chooses for his poetry is simply breathtaking. His poem "empress" is based on the fiery painting "The Empress" by Benifacio Bembo
"because she does not seek
the golden bird
it rests on her branch".
Watson's work is deeply, darkly metaphoric.
If you like your love and spirituality to come with a sense of dark irony, this is the book for you. Watson captures the dark ho
Krystal
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This piece has such an alluring affect on the reader and honestly became more captivating by each sentence. I’ve recently discovered this author on the media and must I say I’m very well eager to read more of his books. For those of you out there looking for a peace of mind and a fantastic read as well I would highly recommend this.
Gracie Borquez
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This Book is breathtaking, it only takes a matter of second before you find yourself lingering deep into the pages. It only took me a day to finish it and I can say it’s one of my favorite books so far.
Nancy
Apr 09, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: giveaways
“In the Dark Soft Earth” by Frank Watson is a beautiful book of poetry that you will want to read many times. It has lush, thought provoking imagery. I enjoyed it very much.

I thank the author for the ebook I received from Goodreads Giveaways.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Untamed
  • The Poetry of Good Eats
  • Writers & Lovers
  • She Must Be Mad
  • The Mermaid's Voice Returns in This One (Women Are Some Kind of Magic, #3)
  • Aphrodite Made Me Do It
  • To Drink Coffee with a Ghost (Things that Haunt, #2)
  • Sorry I'm Late, I Didn't Want to Come: An Introvert's Year of Living Dangerously
  • UNSUB (UNSUB, #1)
  • Mad, Bad & Dangerous to Know
  • Trouble Makes a Comeback (Trouble, #2)
  • Run, Rebel
  • Feminist Stitches: Cross Stitch Kit with 12 Fierce Designs - Includes: 6" Embroidery Hoop, 10 Skeins of Embroidery Floss, 2 Pieces of Cross Stitch Fabric, Cross Stitch Needle
  • Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1)
  • +Anima 4 (+Anima, #4)
  • +Anima 5 (+Anima, #5)
  • +Anima 6 (+Anima, #6)
  • Murder Lo Mein (A Noodle Shop Mystery, #3)
Frank Watson was born in Venice, California and now lives in New York. He enjoys literature, art, calligraphy, landscaping, history, jazz, international travel, kickboxing, and powerlifting. Publications include The Dollhouse Mirror, Seas to Mulberries, and One Hundred Leaves. He has also edited several volumes, including The Poetry Nook Anthology, The dVerse Anthology, Fragments, and the Poetry N ...more