Start by marking “The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you” as Want to Read:

The Mom Test is a quick, practical guide that will save you time, money, and heartbreak.

They say you shouldn't ask your mom whether your business is a good idea, because she loves you and will lie to you. This is technically true, but it misses the point. You shouldn't ask anyone if your business is a good idea. It's a bad question and everyone will lie to you

Published August 2019 by Robfitz Ltd (first published September 10th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Mom Test, please sign up.
Mohamadreza Pourahmad بعد از خوندن این کتاب دید خیلی خوبی پیدا میکنید برای پرسیدن سوال های مناسب از مشتری های محصولتون، خوب یا بد بودن ایده هاتون رو میتونید با سوال های منا…moreبعد از خوندن این کتاب دید خیلی خوبی پیدا میکنید برای پرسیدن سوال های مناسب از مشتری های محصولتون، خوب یا بد بودن ایده هاتون رو میتونید با سوال های مناسبی متوجه بشین.
یاد میگیرید که با تعریف های خوب از ایده و کارتون بی جهت هیجان زده نشین
(less)

Start your review of The Mom Test: How to talk to customers & learn if your business is a good idea when everyone is lying to you
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Either really good or dismally bad. Not sure which one.
Easy read. Some ideas that could sometimes be useful. Or not.

Q:
Trying to learn from customer conversations is like excavating a delicate archaeological site. The truth is down there somewhere, but it’s fragile. (c)
Michael Dubakov
Outstanding book!

Main lessons learned:
1. Don't pitch your ideas to customers
2. Learn facts. Dig and ask more questions till you have exact facts and data
3. Don't mention your solution
4. Don't listen to opinions, collect facts and pain points instead
5. Compliments means nothing. Really nothing. Deflect them and dig deeper.
6. You can’t learn anything useful unless you’re willing to spend a few minutes shutting up
7. If you don’t know what happens next after a product or sales meeting, the meeting
WhatIReallyRead
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to WhatIReallyRead by: teachers at my Digital&Product Marketing class
This book is amazing!

I recommend it to everyone who builds products, talks to customers, works in startups or has the desire to sell any ideas/products they came up with or made.

Why I loved it:

- it's a how-to book that offers concrete methods and tools to solve problems on tour path to a new product with an audience;
- it is full of specific examples of good and bad approaches, and reasons why a certain approach is good or bad;
- it is easy to read, short and funny - a real delight to spend your t
Cat
This book is about having conversations with potential customers to see if your business is a good idea. It is not written by a UX guy, but someone from tech startups who has learned through mistakes. In some places it's a bit beginner, but it's fun to read, not pretentious, and at times laugh out loud funny. It's a good reminder of the basics and packed full of example dialogues. I actually put down the book I was working on to read this one and devoured it in part of a day.

It starts with a goo
Andriy Bas
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
The best book for Customer Development I've ever seen!
Must-read for all CEOs, founders, Product Managers, and User Researchers!
My notes, in case you need: https://www.notion.so/uptechteam/The-...
Martin Brochhaus
It’s nice.

Maybe the only downside is, even though it is a super short book, it is still extremely repetitive: 40% of the book is the exact same message:

“DON’T PITCH! Ask about THEIR lives, their problems, their current solutions/workarounds”.

However, given how easy it is to fall back into "pitch mode", maybe it is worth hammering that message into my brain.

We are about to launch a new product soon at my company and we do have an extremely narrowly segmented customer group, so I will sit down w
Zornitsa Tomova
It's the second time I read this one and once again, I loved every page of it. The book is an amazingly simple, down-to-earth guide on what it means to 'talk to your customers' before you go ahead and build that thing. It's one of those books that you can reread in a few hours every time you're thinking of starting a new project and you'll always find something new and useful. If you want to keep your sight on what's important in the mess of a product's initial research & creation, read this. It ...more
Evgenia Trofimova
Priceless.
The book is short and quite expensive, but each page of it is full of very, very useful examples and advise.
I wish I read this book before, and not had an experience of a failed startup, cause I asked wrong questions while doing user research.

I acquired each page slowly, processing and applying to life. I even gave three talks, incorporating the knowledge from this book before I have finished it. :)

The most useful book of 2018. And one of the most useful book for people doing products/
Nikas
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't recommend this book enough. Simple, straightforward and immensely helpful. If you're only going to read one book about validating startup ideas, make it this one.
Katya Kamyanets
Jun 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux-design
A good way to learn about starting a business and pick up some communication skills.
Jason
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I hate doing customer development but need to do it all the time. This is the most concise, direct, no nonsense guide I have read. And somehow the author manages to keep it low-key and light. Worthwhile.
Sheida
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I learned quite a lot 🤔
Heather Aislinn
Oct 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Insightful, clear, understandable and quick
Now I'm more sure how to ask questions, how to ask the right questions mind you.
Hrishi
Nov 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is going into the list of must-read books I am going to suggest to the product folks.
Prafful Sahu
Oct 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A must read to be prepared to talk to customers while researching for your product
Paras Dahal
Aug 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is the best business book I've ever read.

No fluff, no tedious and irrelevant stories, and no jargon filled generic crap. This is a manual for how to talk to customers for maximizing learning instead of fishing for compliments and ego boost. The writing is engaging and concise, and there is not a single page whose content can't be put to use immediately. I am sure I will come back to this book multiple times.

Highly recommended for aspiring entrepreneurs.
kirill borzov
Sep 15, 2020 rated it it was amazing
6/5. Simple, interesting, easy-to-read, and very useful!
Louise
Jun 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, business
A short and to the point business-type book that's extremely helpful in conducting customer research. I heard about this book through an IndieHackers podcast episode and while one could get the gist of this book by just listening to the podcast, the details and examples in the actual book were worth the price of admission.
Ahmad Abugosh
A nice short book no how to have better conversations with potential customers when you're building an idea. The main concept behind the book is that you shouldn't ask leading questions or questions that expose your ego (what do you think of my idea?). Instead, you should focus on asking questions in a way where they don't even know that you're building something, so your ego is not exposed. So for example, you could ask people "is x a problem for you", "how did you solve this problem in the pas ...more
Fernando Parra
A must-read book, in an era when everyone is professing the importance of conducting customer interviews as a method for designing successful services and products. Rob's guide is the best I found because it is aimed at engaging with prospects in the most non-biased way possible, which is different in big ways from the exploratory research method taught around, which tends to lean on leading questions or broad assumptions that don't help to validate how committed customers really are to using th ...more
Askorbinka
It's complicated to evaluate this book without practicing its recommendations. So the true value will be discovered later. But the chapters where author talks about what questions should be asked to elicit customer requirements correlate with my experience as a business analyst. None of the good questions are about asking what functionality you should build. Talk about people and their life, not your product.
Harold Saar
Jan 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How to ask questions that are not biased? The book aims to make it easier to face tough questions. If you are setting up a business it is a must read for you. If your sales/pitch/validation conversations are pre-planned you will end up with lots of advice and much-needed information instead of going through meetings focusing on trivial stuff and keeping conversations comfortable.

I think I’ve never made as many underlinings and comments as I did on the pages of this one.
Anton Diatlov
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The must-read book for every entrepreneur and product manager. It is easy to read, short and clear. Rob Fitzpatrick provides a lot of tips and tricks for customer development that is applicable to every early-stage company.
Andrus
Jan 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Maybe not a fascinating page-turner, but a crisp very to-the-point and readable book on doing customer (development) interviews.
Stefanni Brasil
Jun 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
lots of advice in a short book.
Anoochan
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This is such an amazing book!
Heavily recommended by colleagues in office, I was generally apprehensive of the hype and was fairly certain that this book would let me down. But I couldn't have been more wrong. I'd say it's totally worth the hype.

Some very practical and hard hitting facts are conveyed in a very easy to consume manner. Being centered around conversations, the book is rife with examples of both 'things to do' and 'things not to do' during customer and stake holder conversations. I
Gemma Cortadellas
Sep 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really good, practical, to-the-point book! Stoked that this was probably more useful than my 3-month long UX design course haha.

The 4 stars are because I find the "mom test" naming as a bit sexist (with a pink cover, of course). Would it ever occur to the author to call it "dad test"? Probably not. However the book itself is filled with really great content and a lot of examples, well-structure and learnings can be applied right away. Would recommend to any entrepreneur.
Piyush Gandhi
Jul 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really well crafted fun conversations. The book is a must have for people looking to validate their idea. The mistakes mentioned were quite relatable and from practice and brute force I could see myself moving towards the mom test questions but this will surely accelerate the process of moving there.
Christine
Sep 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
Super solid read especially for those who aren’t as well versed in UX research or customer conversations. The book was appropriately succinct, each page had good information and I wasn’t feeling like I was reading fluff. I think I wished for more scripts of how various scenarios could play out but he had plenty - this is me just asking somebody to hold my hand through various conversations. Recommend!
Bálint
Mar 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish all non-fiction book was like this. Short, containing the principles with examples. What are the qood questions as well as what are the BAD questions. Good flow, no fluff, absolutely loved it, learned a ton. Biggest take away: ask about what actually happened, not what would happen if X.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Talking to Humans
  • Obviously Awesome: How to Nail Product Positioning so Customers Get It, Buy It, Love It
  • The Lean Product Playbook: How to Innovate with Minimum Viable Products and Rapid Customer Feedback
  • Inspired: How to Create Tech Products Customers Love
  • Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products
  • Escaping the Build Trap: How Effective Product Management Creates Real Value
  • Monetizing Innovation: How Smart Companies Design the Product Around the Price
  • Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days
  • Start Small, Stay Small: A Developer's Guide to Launching a Startup
  • Just Enough Research
  • What You Do Is Who You Are: How to Create Your Business Culture

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Rob is an entrepreneur of 12 years. He went through YCombinator (s07) with an attempt to figure out social advertising before Facebook managed to do so, which obviously didn’t work out so well. He has raised funding in the US and UK, built products used by customers like Sony and MTV, designed and Kickstarted a card game, cofounded the education agency Founder Centric, rebuilt a little sailboat, a ...more

News & Interviews

“It boils down to this: you aren’t allowed to tell them what their problem is, and in return, they aren’t allowed to tell you what to build. They own the problem, you own the solution.” 6 likes
“Trying to learn from customer conversations is like excavating a delicate archaeological site. The truth is down there somewhere, but it’s fragile. While each blow with your shovel gets you closer to the truth, you’re liable to smash it into a million little pieces if you use too blunt an instrument.” 4 likes