Start by marking “Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls” as Want to Read:
Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls

Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls

Three traditional tales concerning successful attempts to outwit grumpy trolls.
32 pages
Published by Random House (first published March 12th 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls

Start your review of Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls
Andy
Oct 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I may have read this book more times than any other, and it is probably the best book ever written by humans. The trolls are tragic figures fated to cede the Earth to humans and billy goats, having become monsters, by necessity, in the face of the inexorable tide of progress. Under different circumstances, the trolls might have been perceived as noble socialists and environmentalists, but the Farmer Neils of the world "own" the land from which grain is produced and billy goats go where billy goa ...more
Omnipotent Dystopian Now
I picked this book out to read to my son because it was one of my favorites when I was a little guy. But when I started looking through it, I found myself wondering why the hell my mother would have let me read this when I was so little. It's still awesome though. I just don't recommend it for anybody that's too young and fragile. Some of the monsters are kind of creepy, and while the good guys always win in this book, it might be a difficult book for the little ones to make sense of right befor ...more
Robert
Apr 13, 2007 rated it really liked it

This was one of my favorite books as a kid. It featured a selection of monster and troll stories, illustrated in a kid-friendly manner reminiscent of Bruegel the Elder and Hieronymus Bosch.
N.E. Johnson
Sep 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Iconic art.
Maureen Lubitz
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on You Have Your Hands Full

I have been spending time every night with my oldest daughter reading middle grade ARCs that I receive. I don’t want my twins to feel left out, so I have started reading Best Book Club Ever books with them every night.

Last night, my twins chose Favorite Tales of Monsters and Trolls. This was my husband’s book when he was a child, and I remember reading this one as well. This book was first published in 1977, and was adapted by George Jonsen and illus
Siskiyou-Suzy
Interesting little collection of folkloric stories. The illustrations for the first one -- The Three Billy Goats Gruff -- are my favorites. All the little people running around the illustrations are fantastic. The details are just wonderful.

The stories are kind of lame and vaguely familiar; that's how stories like this work. But they're also fun and classic.
Christian Anne
Pity there is no cover art for that is one of the best parts; 26 amazing trolls on the cover alone. This book has the most incredible illustrations, and was an early childhood favorite. The copy I am in love with is illustrated by John Obrien.
Liz Stoneking
Jul 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was one of the gems of my childhood. The strange art and the fun stories still come to my mind every time I read or hear different versions of them.
Kelly
Dec 27, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another favorite book from my childhood. well known tales of trolls + bosch-like little creatures/illustrations.
Amy (Other Amy)

• A Happy Catastrophe
  • The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir
  • The Lending Library
  • Room to Breathe
  • A Painted Doom (Wesley Peterson, #6)
  • The Bone Garden (Wesley Peterson, #5)
  • Stefano the Squid: Hero of the Deep
  • Stegothesaurus
  • I Am Peace: A Book of Mindfulness
  • How Will You Measure Your Life?
  • An Awesome Book!
  • The Funeral Boat (Wesley Peterson, #4)
  • The Watersplash (Miss Silver, #21)
  • Hercule Poirot and the Greenshore Folly (Hercule Poirot, #45.7)
  • The Rebels of Gold (Loom Saga #3)
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves